Random Politics & Religion #08

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #08
Random Politics & Religion #08
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 14:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I can guarantee you that nearly all non-union jobs in the US who negotiate wages are between the manager/owner and the employee.

Well, again. We're talking corporations here. I don't see a need for unions in small businesses. Kansas is just apparently ***.

Let's put it this way: if you're big enough that you need to have human resources personnel, you've grown to the point where you probably should have collective bargaining.

I'll accept your evidence, however, it's it also the regulator's fault for not shutting down the mine before the accident?

I mean, if we are going to assume that all businesses purposefully run bad equipment without properly maintaining them, shouldn't we also assume that all regulators are supposed to shut down a business for bad safety practices?

Oh I absolutely agree. There's a front end and a back end to this injustice. It's not just a court letting them off easy. They should have been shut down years before.

That said, they also shouldn't be doing this ***in the first place, because what kind of shitbags are knowingly endangering people for a profit?

Sometimes I'm not sure if I expect too much of human beings or if I really am mental in that I can't manage to put myself in the mindset that allows this ***to happen.

Like, yes. I get "why." "Profit. Power. Personal gain. Rawr! Big man on totem pole! Don't care about little man, he's my pawn!"

What kind of *** do you have to be to actually think like that though?
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I can guarantee you that nearly all non-union jobs in the US who negotiate wages are between the manager/owner and the employee.

Well, again. We're talking corporations here. I don't see a need for unions in small businesses. Kansas is just apparently ***.

Let's put it this way: if you're big enough that you need to have human resources personnel, you've grown to the point where you probably should have collective bargaining.

I'll accept your evidence, however, it's it also the regulator's fault for not shutting down the mine before the accident?

I mean, if we are going to assume that all businesses purposefully run bad equipment without properly maintaining them, shouldn't we also assume that all regulators are supposed to shut down a business for bad safety practices?

Oh I absolutely agree. There's a front end and a back end to this injustice. It's not just a court letting them off easy. They should have been shut down years before.

That said, they also shouldn't be doing this ***in the first place, because what kind of shitbags are knowingly endangering people for a profit?

Sometimes I'm not sure if I expect too much of human beings or if I really am mental in that I can't manage to put myself in the mindset that allows this ***to happen.

Like, yes. I get "why." "Profit. Power. Personal gain. Rawr! Big man on totem pole! Don't care about little man, he's my pawn!"

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 14:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Then quit being a *** and crack one open.
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we take this union *** to the random union and union member thread !
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 14:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So you want to take at least a marginally new, semi-productive discussion and go back to boring, played out candidate insults.

Now I want a drink.

*looks at clock*

25 minutes and the bar's half a block down.
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know political cartoons are a nice change of pace compared.

You're wrong.

No you.

*sticks tongue out*

etc
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-07-29 14:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
It cannot all be laid at the feet of unions though. Manufacturing industries like autos, machine parts, technology and consumer goods are far cheaper to produce overseas and no amount of free wheeling would change that.
If that's the case, why are there still manufacturing jobs here in America? By your reasoning, everything, and I do mean everything, is made elsewhere.

Large, medium, small companies, doesn't matter, they all are made outside the nation.

Never mind that businesses are building plants here in the states, mainly in non-union states...

The industries that died quickest in America were mostly consumer goods and parts. Auto had a bit of a buffer since the slander about Asian cars was true... at first but it wasn't long before Asian cars were par or better than American autos. American car companies got complacent and let the competition get ahead.

Labor wise you have Americans with American sensibilities competing with Asian workers who as far as industry was concerned were living 50 years behind the curve. The region was ripe for exploitation. You can work people to death with no regulations and the government was fine with that so long as growth continued.

It's the lifecycle of industry in capitalism in action. We're currently in the consumer, high-tech phase of production here. The gravy train that was American manufacturing will never again reach such heights without some serious protectionism.
Fair analysis, only if you look at specific parts of the equation and not the whole picture.

My examples are largely about general manufacturing being cheaper to make overseas. It doesn't mean every industry and certain industries (former rust belt) have suffered most. There are still business opportunities in America and alot of it centers around the high quality products that are not in direct competition with the lowest common denominator garbage you see shipped in from elsewhere.

Of course those goods require more disposable income, fill in smaller niches and may or may not have regional advantages that keep them profitable. Then there are industries that just won't go overseas at all like food.

Much of the American moneymaking right now are in financial services and tech. The problem is that the pyramid tightens as you move from dirty manufacturing to making apps, performing financial services and selling overpriced food. We have alot of Americans who don't have the money to move up the pyramid while waxing nostalgic for a time where capitalism was in their corner.

Times change, America has changed, capitalism is all about change. The problem is of course no one cares about that when they get fired and their job moves overseas. So unions become a target of blame when ALOT of factors are in play. Welcome to globalization.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 14:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll accept your evidence, however, it's it also the regulator's fault for not shutting down the mine before the accident? ...
They tried. But the mine owners had this loophole you could sale a container ship through. As long as they contested the charges, and there were hundreds, they could keep running.

Quote:

Judge orders Trump to pay nearly $300,000 in attorney’s fees in Doral painter’s lawsuit
Because he wanted to screw a contractor out of $34,863.

Real big man.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually Trump is not big I would say he is of average size.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 14:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You have done him?
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
You have done him?

Get your mind out of the gutter granny ! I'm talking about his height.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 14:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, even with non-union large/small corporations (with or without human resources personnel), wages are not negotiated between lawyers. Hell, lawyers aren't even part of the equation.

A budget is drawn, given to the department head, who then gives it to the individual section managers who then gets with their shift managers who individually talks to the employees about what raise, if any, they are getting. Generally speaking, it's predetermined, but in some cases, especially in cases where retention is an issue, it's negotiated.

Almost the same thing with union jobs, except there's the extra layer of lawyers for the company and lawyers of the union gathering together to determine wages for the workers. The predetermined wage increase is uniform with everyone, and those who actually try to work in the company, those that actually put in the effort, are essentially screwed because they are rewarded the same level as those who are wasted space. How exactly is that fair again?

What really hurts companies is when the budget doesn't match or even come close to what the union demands. And if the union doesn't get what they want, there will always be a strike, which hurts the company even more. Now, the company cannot make any profit because the unions demand too much, or shut down the company until they get what they want, and if a company cannot make any money, they will die and vanish. Then where does that leave the employees?

You cannot take an individual case and apply it to everyone. There are not even 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of companies out there who are like this. Companies like this would have died from these business practices, it just died a little quicker because of the mining accident.

That company is doomed already.
By fonewear 2016-07-29 14:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I refuse to join any organization that would have me as a member !
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 14:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I refuse to join any organization that would have me as a member !

This might not be the worst policy.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 15:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My examples are largely about general manufacturing being cheaper to make overseas. It doesn't mean every industry and certain industries (former rust belt) have suffered most. There are still business opportunities in America and alot of it centers around the high quality products that are not in direct competition with the lowest common denominator garbage you see shipped in from elsewhere.
Your examples are basic generalizations.

As for opportunities in America, we are more geared towards services than manufacturing now. Manufacturing still plays a role, service sectors are gaining a lot of traction with today's global economic climate.

Much of the American moneymaking right now are in financial services and tech. The problem is that the pyramid tightens as you move from dirty manufacturing to making apps, performing financial services and selling overpriced food. We have alot of Americans who don't have the money to move up the pyramid while waxing nostalgic for a time where capitalism was in their corner.

Times change, America has changed, capitalism is all about change. The problem is of course no one cares about that when they get fired and their job moves overseas. So unions become a target of blame when ALOT of factors are in play. Welcome to globalization.
Unions play a huge role in the loss of jobs and companies in America. I cannot believe you refuse to see that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 15:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Judge orders Trump to pay nearly $300,000 in attorney’s fees in Doral painter’s lawsuit

Real big man.
That article is very misleading, and very dishonest.

It's not Trump who's paying the company in question, it's one of his businesses.

That's like saying that you are paying the person you wrecked your car with, except that it's your insurance that's paying them, not you.

Trump is not paying any of his personal money in that lawsuit at all.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 15:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying that you are paying the person you wrecked your car with, except that it's your insurance that's paying them, not you.

See, this is misleading, because if you didn't have the insurance, you'd be paying out your *** out of pocket, because you caused the wreck like a jackass.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 15:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

See, this is misleading, because if you didn't have the insurance, you'd be paying out your *** out of pocket, because you caused the wreck like a jackass.
You are right, I assumed that you would have had car insurance like the law requires.

How silly of me!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 15:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Real big man.

It's not Trump who's paying the company in question, it's one of his businesses....
And his businesses have a pattern of doing this exact thing.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 15:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Get your mind out of the gutter ...
But I like this site.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-07-29 15:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Real big man.

It's not Trump who's paying the company in question, it's one of his businesses.

Trump is not paying any of his personal money in that lawsuit at all.
The article never once states that Trump is personally rsponsible to pay the judgement and it only mentions the name of the company trump owns. it also says that even after putting the remaining fee owed in escrow that they still may appeal the judgement for payment of legal fees they are deemed responsible for.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 15:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
The article never once states that Trump is personally rsponsible to pay the judgement and it only mentions the name of the company trump owns.
From the article in question said:

All because, according to the lawsuit, Trump allegedly tried to stiff The Paint Spot on its last payment of $34,863 on a $200,000 contract for paint used in the renovation of the home of golf’s famed Blue Monster two years ago.

This week, Cueto ruled that the fees were reasonable, and then some.

First, he ruled Trump should pay for nearly 500 hours of legal work, since the store’s legal team had to prepare for a trial that never took place.

Then, Cueto tacked on a 75 percent “risk” fee, partly because the store’s lawyers took the risk that they would never be paid if they lost.

“I’m happy I have a judgment,” said Juan Carlos Enriquez, owner of The Paint Spot. “But he [Trump] hasn’t paid yet.

“You know how he says he’ll surround himself with the greatest people if he is president? In this case, he might not be surrounded by the right people.”

Also, the article mentioned the name of the company 3 times, so it's not like they didn't know the name of the company being sued.

it also says that even after putting the remaining fee owed in escrow that they still may appeal the judgement for payment of legal fees they are deemed responsible for.
That's common practice for civil suits going to appeals.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-07-29 15:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Federal Appeals Court Rules New NC Voting Laws Intended To Discriminate

Has NC always been this awful? Here's a link to the opinion in case anyone suspects the article of exaggeration - http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/161468.P.pdf
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-07-29 15:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The purge of those alleged to have been involved in the coup has been far-wide and sweeping. A total of 15,846 people have been detained in connection to the failed coup earlier this month, according to Efkan Ala, the country's interior minister, state broadcaster TRT reported.
The majority of the detentions have been military -- 10,012 people (including 178 generals). Around 3,000 of those have since been released, an official from the president's office added. More than 12,000 people remain in custody.

In addition to the large number of detentions, TRT reported the interior minister has said 8,113 individuals have been arrested. Turkish authorities have stripped the country's security forces, arresting 5,226 military personnel, and seizing at least 151 generals and admirals -- a third of the general-rank command of the Turkish military.
Additional arrests include 1,684 prosecutors and judges and 1,019 members of the police force.
1,200 troops have since been released, the government said.
The country's PM has also told state-run news agency Andalou of its intentions to disband Turkey's elite presidential guard unit.

About 1.5% of the army were involved in the July 15 coup attempt according to a statement made by the Turkish Armed Forces, TRT reported Wednesday.
The statement also broke down the use of military inventory used by coup plotters including:

35 jets
37 helicopters
246 armed vehicles
3 ships
3,992 weapons

Turkish authorities have issued 47 new arrest warrants for journalists, managers and former staff of the Zaman newspaper, the government said Wednesday. An official from Erdogan's office called the newspaper "the Gulen Movement's flagship media organization."

CNN has reached out to Zaman for comment but they had not responded by time of publishing.
This is the latest crackdown on individuals suspected of having ties to alleged coup plotters including cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Erdogan has repeated cited as the mastermind behind the coup attempt on July 15. Gulen lives in self-imposed exile in the U.S. and has denied any involvement.
"The prosecutors aren't interested in what individual columnists wrote or said. At this point, the reasoning is that prominent employees of Zaman are likely to have intimate knowledge of the Gulen network and as such could benefit the investigation," the official said.
Previously, 42 warrants were issued on similar grounds Tuesday. A total of 89 warrants have been issued for journalists in the country to date. Meanwhile, Turkey's broadcasting authority has revoked licenses for 24 radio and television companies believed to have links to Gulen, Anadolu has reported.

In addition to mass arrests, Turkish authorities have fired or suspended at least 60,000 people from various institutions, including some from state-run organizations, according to Andalou. Among those affected:

42,767 people in the Ministry of Education including 21,738 suspended government workers and 21,029 public staff education members
8,777 Ministry of Interior personnel
2,745 judges and prosecutors have been listed for detention
1,700 soldiers -- including 87 generals
1,577 university deans have been asked to resign
1,112 officials removed in the Presidency of Religious Affairs
673 staff members at the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Stockbreeding
599 officials from the Family and Social Policies Ministry
560 Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology personnel
529 Ministry of Transportation officials
500 officials at the Ministry of Finance
300 Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources staff
300 TRT employees
257 officials removed from duty in the Prime Minister's Office
265 Ministry of Youth and Sports workers
262 military judges and prosecutors
221 officials Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs
211 Turkish Airlines contracts have been terminated
184 Ministry of Customs and Commerce officials
180 Ministry of Labor and Social Security personnel
167 staff members at the Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation
110 Ministry of Culture and Tourism employees
100 Turkish intelligence service personnel
86 people removed at the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency
86 staff dismissed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs including removal of Central Ambassadors Gurcan Balik and Tuncay Babali
82 Development Ministry workers
51 people at the Istanbul Stock Exchange while 36 have been terminated at the Capital Market Council
36 Energy Market Regulatory employees
29 Radio and Television Supreme Council workers
22 employees at the Housing Development Administration of Turkey
21 Turkish Statistical Institute workers
15 Ministry of Economy staff members
2 general directors, 1 deputy director general, and 5 department heads at Treasury

Turkey has closed more than 2,000 institutions they say are linked to Gulen.

Suspects can be detained for up to 30 days without charge under a new presidential decree issued in the wake of the foiled revolution. The directive also allows the government to listen in on all conversations suspects have with their legal representation. A state of emergency has also been sanctioned.
By fonewear 2016-07-29 16:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Quote:
The purge of those alleged to have been involved in the coup has been far-wide and sweeping. A total of 15,846 people have been detained in connection to the failed coup earlier this month, according to Efkan Ala, the country's interior minister, state broadcaster TRT reported.
The majority of the detentions have been military -- 10,012 people (including 178 generals). Around 3,000 of those have since been released, an official from the president's office added. More than 12,000 people remain in custody.

In addition to the large number of detentions, TRT reported the interior minister has said 8,113 individuals have been arrested. Turkish authorities have stripped the country's security forces, arresting 5,226 military personnel, and seizing at least 151 generals and admirals -- a third of the general-rank command of the Turkish military.
Additional arrests include 1,684 prosecutors and judges and 1,019 members of the police force.
1,200 troops have since been released, the government said.
The country's PM has also told state-run news agency Andalou of its intentions to disband Turkey's elite presidential guard unit.

About 1.5% of the army were involved in the July 15 coup attempt according to a statement made by the Turkish Armed Forces, TRT reported Wednesday.
The statement also broke down the use of military inventory used by coup plotters including:

35 jets
37 helicopters
246 armed vehicles
3 ships
3,992 weapons

Turkish authorities have issued 47 new arrest warrants for journalists, managers and former staff of the Zaman newspaper, the government said Wednesday. An official from Erdogan's office called the newspaper "the Gulen Movement's flagship media organization."

CNN has reached out to Zaman for comment but they had not responded by time of publishing.
This is the latest crackdown on individuals suspected of having ties to alleged coup plotters including cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Erdogan has repeated cited as the mastermind behind the coup attempt on July 15. Gulen lives in self-imposed exile in the U.S. and has denied any involvement.
"The prosecutors aren't interested in what individual columnists wrote or said. At this point, the reasoning is that prominent employees of Zaman are likely to have intimate knowledge of the Gulen network and as such could benefit the investigation," the official said.
Previously, 42 warrants were issued on similar grounds Tuesday. A total of 89 warrants have been issued for journalists in the country to date. Meanwhile, Turkey's broadcasting authority has revoked licenses for 24 radio and television companies believed to have links to Gulen, Anadolu has reported.

In addition to mass arrests, Turkish authorities have fired or suspended at least 60,000 people from various institutions, including some from state-run organizations, according to Andalou. Among those affected:

42,767 people in the Ministry of Education including 21,738 suspended government workers and 21,029 public staff education members
8,777 Ministry of Interior personnel
2,745 judges and prosecutors have been listed for detention
1,700 soldiers -- including 87 generals
1,577 university deans have been asked to resign
1,112 officials removed in the Presidency of Religious Affairs
673 staff members at the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Stockbreeding
599 officials from the Family and Social Policies Ministry
560 Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology personnel
529 Ministry of Transportation officials
500 officials at the Ministry of Finance
300 Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources staff
300 TRT employees
257 officials removed from duty in the Prime Minister's Office
265 Ministry of Youth and Sports workers
262 military judges and prosecutors
221 officials Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs
211 Turkish Airlines contracts have been terminated
184 Ministry of Customs and Commerce officials
180 Ministry of Labor and Social Security personnel
167 staff members at the Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation
110 Ministry of Culture and Tourism employees
100 Turkish intelligence service personnel
86 people removed at the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency
86 staff dismissed at Ministry of Foreign Affairs including removal of Central Ambassadors Gurcan Balik and Tuncay Babali
82 Development Ministry workers
51 people at the Istanbul Stock Exchange while 36 have been terminated at the Capital Market Council
36 Energy Market Regulatory employees
29 Radio and Television Supreme Council workers
22 employees at the Housing Development Administration of Turkey
21 Turkish Statistical Institute workers
15 Ministry of Economy staff members
2 general directors, 1 deputy director general, and 5 department heads at Treasury

Turkey has closed more than 2,000 institutions they say are linked to Gulen.

Suspects can be detained for up to 30 days without charge under a new presidential decree issued in the wake of the foiled revolution. The directive also allows the government to listen in on all conversations suspects have with their legal representation. A state of emergency has also been sanctioned.

2 general directors And a partridge in a pear tree !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-07-29 16:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Your first bolder states that in the suit they allege something against trump...

The second bolded talks about the ruling(also the only thing close to resembling your claim)

The third is a quote from the other party so yeah...

They never stated that trump himself would be paying this man personally... It's difficult to even infer that unless you selectively read and then try real hard to ignore what the article is saying. It's pretty clear that the company in question is responsible and trumps name gets brought up because he owns the company...

Yes it is common practice to consider an appeal in civil suits... The point being that the actual judgement is still up in the air, possibly, and nothing has been finalized yet...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 16:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Has NC always been this awful? Here's a link to the opinion in case anyone suspects the article of exaggeration - http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/161468.P.pdf
That is a very harsh published opinion by the Appellate Court.

It's almost like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton wrote it for the judges....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 16:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to argue about everything KN says, just because.
Now, that's not hard, was it?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 16:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

That is a very harsh published opinion by the Appellate Court.

It's almost like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton wrote it for the judges....
That's fair. The KKK's legislative auxiliary arm wrote the law.
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84