Kupo Shield Thread (SE, You Are Retards)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Kupo Shield thread (SE, you are retards)
Kupo Shield thread (SE, you are retards)
First Page 2
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 13:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry but I really need to vent.

This game has always been hard and long but also so much fun. When we reach our goals, we get a sense of accomplisment. We used to spend hours grinding our levels to 75. Some of us chose to grind craft to 100, wich was insanely hard especially in 2003-2004 but so rewarding. Now we grind REMs, JPs, gear from SR, etc. Some of us grind crafting mules and second chars to Dbox. Some of the gear we grind gets useless because of all the new gear SE adds all the time. But we grind that new gear and toss the old one, we grind those levels, we grind those those JPs. It requires time and efforts but we are obviously OK with that, since we are still here.

Over the years, SE has made a lot of changes to the game. Some we like, some we dont like so much. But the thing that has always been consistant is that anyone could do anything they want in this game if they were willing to put the time and effort into it. That is unfortunatly not true anymore with that shield wich is awarded randomly once a year. This year, 130 people have been awarded the power to print gils with crafting, if only they are willing to take that power and make the little effort it takes to get a craft to 110 now.

That power comes from the fact that not everyone can get that item if they want to, only a randomly chosen few can. As you guessed, I am not of those randomly chosen few. But even if I were, I would still think the way to get it is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE because the rule that was established 13 years ago is not true anymore : work hard enough and you can do anything.

*** you very much SE.
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2016-07-15 13:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-07-15 13:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

We already covered the problems with the Kupo Shield in the last bonanza, do keep up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 13:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't win either.

I wonder if you'd have still posted this if you were sporting a fancy new shield, though.
[+]
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 14:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I didn't win either.

I wonder if you'd have still posted this if you were sporting a fancy new shield, though.

That is a valid point. I have been thinking about this for a while but writing it sooner would have given me more credibility. I usually prefer playing the game to writing about it but having that item denied to me gave me motivation to write it. And no, I would have shut my mouth and not told anyone about it because I wouldn't want to be a hated lottery winner lol!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 14:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You heard him mods. Lock this thread up. Nothing to see here.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-07-15 14:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Still as valid a complaint as ever. Guts 1/3 to 1/2 of the crafting market for those who didn't win shield, regardless of all effort they've previously sunk into their craft.

Guessing whoever made the item didn't understand that HQ tiers were a thing or the relevance of HQ synths, and now they're reluctant to nerf it and piss off the previous winners.

Don't love kupo rod being a thing either, removing weakness once could be a pretty huge boon in a difficult fight.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 14:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So what's the solution?

Make Kupo Shield obtainable in a way other than rank 1/2 Bonanza?

Like a mythic-type quest? Guess what people will start doing in that case.

A rare monster drop, like D-Ring? Guess who's going to be spammed for now on.

Make it a common item? Everyone will start flooding the market with crafts and it will destroy the in-game economy.

What they are doing right now is ok. They are rewarding people who are lucky enough to win by giving them another option for a prize.

Not everyone who wins a rank 1 will get the shield. Not everyone who wins a rank 2 will get the shield also. People have different priorities in this game, and not everyone will craft. Which is ok because it gives those who will craft an opportunity to gain gil without farming for it (and give people who don't want to craft an opportunity to gain gil by farming it).

Crying about not getting a shield this time isn't going to help your cause at all. Just saying.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-07-15 14:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I ok with the fact that this *** *** who bumped Zweihander/Nagan to 500/600k isn't getting that shield and will, hopefully, get buttfucked on higher level synths due to someone else getting it? Absolutely.

As we say in French, you can't have the butter, the money of the butter and the *** of the woman who makes the butter. I like to see it as Karma sodomizing crafters back.

As for the ones who were lucky enough to have it, go, make more HQs so we don't have to server transfer anymore.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 14:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
As we say in French, you can't have the butter, the money of the butter and the *** of the woman who makes the butter.
Sure you can, if you make and sell the butter.

You get the butter you made.
You get the money of the butter you sell.
You get the *** of the woman who makes the butter.

It's a win/win/hell yeah all around.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-07-15 14:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You sold the butter, so you lost it. Unless you run after your customer, karate chop them in the neck and then get the butter back from their cold hands.

See, you can't have everything.
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 14:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So what's the solution? Make Kupo Shield obtainable in a way other than rank 1/2 Bonanza?

They are rewarding people who are lucky enough to win by giving them another option for a prize.

Crying about not getting a shield this time isn't going to help your cause at all. Just saying.

Yes this is the solution. It would put everyone on an equal basis. Rewarding people by luck is in fact, not a reward at all. It's just dumb luck. Like being a high born with land and titles in the middle ages. Those land and titles allowed the highborns to make easy money, something common people could not do.

And I'm frustrated about the way they award way more than not getting it. I'm 0/38 on the Dring and I dont care. I know I will get it relatively soon, not in a bonanza in 5 years.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 14:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
You sold the butter, so you lost it. Unless you run after your customer, karate chop them in the neck and then get the butter back from their cold hands.

See, you can't have everything.
Who says you can't?

/Chuck Norris kick at my customers while banging my wife.jpg
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-07-15 14:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a simple man, I can't multitask. So this is why I don't have a shield and you either already have one or are supposed to get one very soon.

RIP me.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 14:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Whuteva said: »
So what's the solution? Make Kupo Shield obtainable in a way other than rank 1/2 Bonanza?

They are rewarding people who are lucky enough to win by giving them another option for a prize.

Yes this is the solution. It would put everyone on an equal basis. Rewarding people by luck is in fact, not a reward at all. It's just dumb luck. Like being a high born with land and titles in the middle ages. Those land and titles allowed the highborns to make easy money, something common people could not do.

And I'm frustrated about the way they award way more than not getting it. I'm 0/38 on the Dring and I dont care. I know I will get it relatively soon, not in a bonanza in 5 years.

Bonanza is in-game gambling. They build you up just to be shot down when expectations aren't met. You're better off just not playing and working hard toward whatever goal you have in mind.

If its any consolation, years after people win the lottery, they go broke, are depressed, addicted to drugs, and their lives are miserable. Maybe if you pray hard enough those same things will happen to your enemies.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 14:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It would put everyone on an equal basis.
No it wouldn't.

People are rewarded by effort in this game. If you want to make a ***-ton of gil, you level your craft to 122.

If you want to be the best BLU in this game, you farm your Almace, Tizona, your TP-High Buff gear, your TP-Low Buff gear, your Nuking set, your DT- set, your "Just because I want to be the very best, like no one ever could" set, and your town-gear set.

This game is not created equal. People are not created equal, I hate to break it to you.

Rewarding people by luck is in fact, not a reward at all. It's just dumb luck. Like being a high born with land and titles in the middle ages. Those land and titles allowed the highborns to make easy money, something common people could not do.
Take a course in higher education. Something productive, like Business or Science. Not your liberal arts classes.

Luck is a factor, but luck doesn't drive success. You are more likely to squander your family's wealth being born of higher status than you are to build your own empire if you are born of lower status. Wealth do not stay with people who choose not to work and maintain it.

Learn a little about what drives success, and you will find that what this thread is all about is ludicrous.

Only 0/38? I'm 1/285 on my D-Ring. But I still got it. Because I worked hard to get it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 14:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a walking random number generator. If you think you worked hard for your dring, you're full of ***. You just had your uneventful experience with luck, the same way a person who went 1/1 on the ring did. You're just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Getting an item to drop from a monster with a poor drop rate hate nothing to do with hard work. its 100% pure luck.

The two are not alike. No matter how hard the OP works, he'll never get a shield. The reward is exclusive in a gambling event. But I do understand your underlying message, that your effort proved fruitful in the end, which is true. But that's not the case with this item, lol
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 14:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

From your last post, I now see that you just don't understand my points so I'm not going to argue with you.

Take a course in higher education. Something productive, like Business or Science. Not your liberal arts classes.

I find it very funny that you would say that tho, since I'm have a bachelor degree in finance :)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 14:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a walking random number generator. If you think you worked hard for your dring, you're full of ***.
Let me rephrase it.

I worked hard at never giving up.

I did have bad luck at the random number generator. But I still didn't give up on it. I knew going in that I would be spending a lot of time at Behemoth's Dominion, BCNMs, and using a ton of gil and login points. But that doesn't mean that I didn't work at it.

When I finally got it, I was very happy. Why? Because I was rewarded for my perseverance. But I still worked hard on it and got the item I wanted.

The two are not alike. No matter how hard the OP works, he'll never get a shield. The reward is exclusive in a gambling event. But I do understand your underlying message, that your effort proved fruitful in the end, which is true. But that's not the case with this item, lol
That wasn't my point though. Read my post again, please.
By Draylo 2016-07-15 15:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You are assuming that everyone who won picked the shield. Keep in mind the general population and how they think.. I doubt every single person chose it or knows how to use it lol.
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 15:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I did have bad luck at the random number generator. But I still didn't give up on it. I knew going in that I would be spending a lot of time at Behemoth's Dominion, BCNMs, and using a ton of gil and login points. But that doesn't mean that I didn't work at it.

When I finally got it, I was very happy. Why? Because I was rewarded for my perseverance. But I still worked hard on it and got the item I wanted.

This is my point exactly. You can work hard at never giving up to get anythingin this game, except that shield.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-15 15:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

From your last post, I now see that you just don't understand my points so I'm not going to argue with you.

I find it very funny that you would say that tho, since I'm have a bachelor degree in finance :)
Your points are fruitless.

I gave you 3 examples of possible solutions. All of which leads to one, inevitable truth: Making the shield more common will weaken the game economy and/or make it less likely to generate gil for those who actually put effort into this game leveling a craft to max.

In this game, reward = effort. Leveling a craft to 122 gets you the ability to print your own paychecks, while not leveling a craft to 122 makes it harder to accumulate gil.

I'm just waiting on your counterargument. Which, frankly, you haven't presented.
By Blazed1979 2016-07-15 15:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

1 x rank 1 and 2x rank 2 on my characters.
I'm thinking gold, alchemy and bone.
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 15:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
You are assuming that everyone who won picked the shield. Keep in mind the general population and how they think.. I doubt every single person chose it or knows how to use it lol.
I am not. I'm sure in fact that very few people took the shield, because very few people in the game understand the immense advantage you can get from it.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-07-15 15:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS went 4/4 on D ring back when I got mine. All I did was camp ***and sometimes solo kite the *** for a lil while, but I don't really see as working hard and what not, I simply did what I wanted.

The problem with Bonanza is that it's not the same kind of luck that is involved. Due to the frequency and odds, you may never win Bonanza even once in your lifetime whereas you will see way more than one D ring should you spend your time farming it.

I'll never give up Bonanza but I'm fully aware that rank 5s is my stuff. Whereas when I was in HNM, Sky, Sea, you name it, I knew I would get what I wanted eventually.

Bonanza is in a different realm where odds are stacked against you instead of being neutral.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 15:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

They don't. I mentioned this in a group I was in last night and the guy said "PLDs aren't in demand for a whole lot like they used to". When I explained it was a kupo shield for crafting, he just laughed. People are ignorant.
By Blazed1979 2016-07-15 15:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it a common item? Everyone will start flooding the market with crafts and it will destroy the in-game economy.

I say, you really know nothing about economics do you?
One of the basics of economics is increased production = good.
Bad for wealth disparity, but good for the economy.
 Sylph.Tuptup
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Tuptup 2016-07-15 15:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a walking random number generator. If you think you worked hard for your dring, you're full of ***. You just had your uneventful experience with luck, the same way a person who went 1/1 on the ring did. You're just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Getting an item to drop from a monster with a poor drop rate hate nothing to do with hard work. its 100% pure luck.

Completely agree except for that whole savory shank part of the D. ring.

I've typed up 4 replies in an attempt to calm the OP about what the shield IS and what the shield is BELIEVED to be, but deleted each one before hitting submit. I'm sure after this post I will be told to check my #ShieldPrivilege and that I "don't know what I'm talking about" because I "actually own one."

But here goes.

Yes, I was lucky enough to win a shield on the first offering.
Yes, it helped breathe new life into the game for me as I had never taken crafting seriously.
No, it does not generate gil at the push of a button like the often used comparison to a printer implies.
Yes, it requires work to create income from it. Many materials are expensive (not to mention in extremely low supply) and to truly get real income you need to attempt many synths to come out on top. Sometimes you can get lucky early, but if you've never done crafting in FFXI, this point is lost on you entirely.
No, you are not at a loss for failing to win it. There isn't a single item this shield helps craft that doesn't have a suitable alternative in this game.

Everyone likes to talk about what the shield is and does. Keep in mind, up until today only about 12 of us actually knew.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-15 15:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a walking random number generator. If you think you worked hard for your dring, you're full of ***.
Let me rephrase it.

That wasn't my point though. Read my post again, please.

Late, sorry I missed this. You worked hard for your Dring and was rewarded for your perseverance? You just got more rolls in the random number generator and finally beat the odds. Again, nothing to do with hard work. I know you like to pat yourself on the back for killing a monster that takes 12 seconds and equate getting a completely random drop (that takes some people forever to get) to "hard work", but you're just embellishing. You didn't work any harder than a person who got the drop on the first try, or the 20th, or 1000th. you just increased your odds by increasing your sample size, and eventually, numbers worked in your favor.

But if you need a gold star to confirm that you're a hard worker and that DT ring is your proof, have at it.
By Whuteva 2016-07-15 15:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

I say, you really know nothing about economics do you?
One of the basics of economics is increased production = good.
Bad for wealth disparity, but good for the economy.

Indeed he dosent. A perfect(and utopic)economy is an economy where everyone can produce as much goods as they want. It lowers the prices of everything and everyone can chose to spend their money on wichever good they think will be the best for them. The shield creates an oligopoly, where a few individuals have the power to produce specific goods easier that others, allowing them to raise the prices and screw everyone else in the process. Why dont YOU take some business classes and come back when you know what you are talking about, Kingnobody?
First Page 2