Random Politics & Religion #07

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #07
Random Politics & Religion #07
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 59 60 61
By Ramyrez 2016-07-11 11:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
montreal expos

I dunno. We 'murrica'ed them and sent them to DC, of all places...

thus it being a form of protest against us nationalizing them forcefully

Niiice.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-11 11:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Wasn't the guy tasered and still resisting? And even with the cops on top of him they didn't have full control?

I'm not going to play the armchair judge here, hence why I said "imo". It seemed excessive to me whether he was resisting or not. Sometimes the cops are justified in cases like this, sometimes they aren't. It simply doesn't look good for the police this time around, though.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-07-11 11:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Seha said: »
And again, if a guy is at 50 cm from you and you are trained individual there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to aim for an arm. If you panic so easily that you can't even do that then you're not fit for this job.
have you ever fired a gun before seha?

serious question.
I have. It's amazingly easy to move the gun about six or so inches to the right or left and hit an immobile target at point blank range. Up and down works well too.

Why is there a target at point blank range that you absolutely need to shoot at? If someone is such a threat and is so close to you, center mass is the closest thing to a guarantee that you're going to stop him aside from shooting his face off. It's not just biology, it's physics.

Again, you only shoot a gun at a suspect if there is clear and present danger to a police officer or a 3rd party that only lethal force can reliably solve. Shooting at a limb sounds great to the uninformed, but there are so many reasons why it's not a viable thing to train officers to do.
When you have a 'suspect' pinned to the ground and you're literally sitting on top of him? You have a loooot of options to work with.

If your first idea for dealing with a mostly restrained individual is to execute him? You have a *** problem.

It's not a matter of whether or not they should have shot him in the arm. They shouldn't have shot him period, imo. Which goes along with my point.
Wasn't the guy tasered and still resisting? And even with the cops on top of him they didn't have full control?
Resisting arrest isn't grounds for killing a suspect unless they've proven themselves to be a danger to the cops or civilians nearby.

His gun was in his pocket and he was in a state where both open and concealed carry are allowed. The cops arrest attempt was possibly unlawful/illegal. Literally nothing about that situation should have resulted in guns being drawn.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-07-11 11:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The daily show jokes about it, but is there actually any way to not have the election this year? Like is there some way that both sides could be like... no we can't ACTUALLY do this to you, lets try again next/in two/in four years from now?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-11 11:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, interesting statistics being reported in regards to the use of police force and racial bias. The report is from a respected, black, Harvard professor.

Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

The images aren't copying correctly, so take a look. The gist of it is that there appears to be bias when it comes to being pushed around, handcuffed, and other non-lethal force, but no evidence of bias when it comes to use of lethal force.

Quote:
“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than a thousand shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-11 12:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Next time someone suggest Arabic immigration needs curbed, I think we all need to remember that if we do that, it means fewer authentic Shawarma places and that would be a crime.

Because lunch is amazing right now.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-11 12:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
The daily show jokes about it, but is there actually any way to not have the election this year? Like is there some way that both sides could be like... no we can't ACTUALLY do this to you, lets try again next/in two/in four years from now?

Election cycle mulligan.

Do it.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-11 12:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The images aren't copying correctly, so take a look. The gist of it is that there appears to be bias when it comes to being pushed around, handcuffed, and other non-lethal force, but no evidence of bias when it comes to use of lethal force.

This makes sense to me. It also makes sense as to why people are inclined to believe that it's true for gun-related violence, if their experience is that it's true in other facets.

Doesn't make violent reaction as we've recently seen right or okay, but it makes sense in the grand scheme.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-11 12:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Election cycle mulligan.

Do it.

Ehhh, not if it keeps Obama in office in the meantime. I might be willing to compromise with 2 years of Biden.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-07-11 12:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehhh, not if it keeps Obama in office in the meantime. I might be willing to compromise with 2 years of Biden.

I'm in.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-11 12:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cruz Missive said: »

I'm in.

Second.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-12 03:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Be careful what you wish for.

We had a example of this once in US history. When our congress was disbanded.Seven southern nation States of America walked out of the Second Session of the Thirty-sixth Congress on March 27, 1861.

Congress was adjourned "sine die " this is a Latin term meaning without fixed day , no day is set for reconvening. The US Congress has still never offically reconvened since 1861.

The first was when Abraham Lincoln was elected which ended up dividing the nation and the Civil War of Northern Aggression happen.

It was under the Lincoln and Johnson administration who illegally reformed congress and drafted the 2nd constitution called the general orders 100 Leiber Code which is Martial Rule and Law and has 100 amendments that superceded the original Constitution.

It is still active today in the 50 states and is used in our local and federal and Supreme Courts.

It's the sole reason how the Democrat and Republican parties are able to create laws to restrict our Constitutional rights.

It has also never been repealed by any Congress or President since it's inception in 1871.

Vote for me I will reconvene congress and restore the Constitutional Republic of the United States of America where Constitution is law of the land.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-07-12 04:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/11/asia/philippines-china-south-china-sea-hague-ruling/index.html

Quote:
Hong Kong (CNN)An international tribunal will hand down a landmark ruling Tuesday in a case that will have major implications for one the world's biggest geopolitical flashpoints -- the South China Sea.
With the Philippines and China at loggerheads over Beijing's claims of sovereignty over large swathes of the South China Sea, Manila took its fight to the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration in 2013.
China has refused to participate in the case, which marks the first time an international court has ruled on the sea's mess of overlapping claims, and analysts expect the ruling to largely go against Beijing.
"Security has real consequences and, given that the South China Sea sees about half of the world's trade flow and is one of its busiest trade routes, the ruling will impact trade and businesses worldwide," said Eric Shimp, a trade policy adviser at law firm Alston & Bird.
"Pieces are already moving in Asia as the parties and other interested countries anticipate a ruling that favors the Philippines, but which China ignores."

The United States is a key player in the region and has navigated warships and military aircraft around the South China Sea, including near disputed reefs and shoals, citing international law and freedom of movement but triggering harsh warnings from China.

In advance of the ruling, China has embarked on a propaganda push, with state media publishing daily articles outlining its historical claims to the South China Sea.
Analysts say the verdict will be a gauge of China's willingness to abide by existing global rules as it emerges as a superpower, as well as a test for international law in the South China Sea.
"Beijing doesn't want to be framed as an international rule breaker, which is why it has tried to build a coalition of nations that support its view," said Ashley Townshend, a research fellow at the University of Sydney and a visiting fellow at Fudan University in Shanghai.
"Beijing will respond with vitriolic language to any criticism by the court and might step up its military footprint on the artificial islands it controls as an act of defiance. But it is unlikely to lash out in militarily dangerous ways," he added.

Messy territorial dispute

Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam all dispute sovereignty of several island chains and nearby waters in the South China Sea -- with rival claims to the Chinese interpretation.
China claims the waters within its "nine-dash line" -- that extends hundreds of miles to the south and east of its island province of Hainan.
Tensions have ratcheted up as China has reclaimed land in massive dredging operations, turning sandbars into islands equipped with airfields, ports and lighthouses.
Feelings were running high on both sides of the dispute Tuesday.
In the Philippines, the hashtag #CHexit was trending on Twitter -- calling for China to leave the South China Sea. The topic was also the most widely discussed on Chinese social network Weibo, China's equivalent of Twitter, with hundreds of thousands of users sharing a map of China with its nine-dash line and the caption "China can't be one dash less."

What's at stake

The Philippines asked the court to decide what rights it has to the disputed waters under the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
It wants the court to rule whether certain features in the sea are islands, rocks, low-tide elevations or banks -- each deliver different rights over the surrounding waters.
For example, an island grants an Exclusive Economic Zone of 200 nautical miles and gives the responsible country complete control over all enclosed resources, including fish, oil and gas.
However, man-made islands, like those China has been building, aren't counted under UNCLOS.
While the ruling is regarded as legally binding, there is no mechanism to enforce it -- United Nations troops won't be forcing China off the land it controls.

Heightened tensions

However, analysts say the ruling could heighten strains in a region already bristling with tension, especially if it provokes a defiant reaction from China.
Townshend said that China could begin construction work on Scarborough Shoal -- an outcrop it currently controls 100 miles from the Philippines and 500 miles from China -- or set up an air defense zone over the South China Sea.
Such moves could trigger more U.S. "freedom of navigation" patrols -- flying warplanes or sailing warships within 12 miles of the islands and reefs China controls to demonstrate that it believes they are international waters.
President Obama has called for a peaceful resolution to the dispute and while visiting Vietnam in May, said that big nations shouldn't bully small ones.
The U.S. takes no position on the territorial disputes in the South China Sea, but has called for an immediate end to land reclamation.
As China has been at pains to point out, the U.S. isn't among the 160 countries that have ratified UNCLOS -- potentially undermining its clout on this issue.

China's military has been conducting live-fire drills in the disputed waters in the run-up to the verdict and has said the ruling will "undermine peace."
"An increased military presence and activity by multiple countries means an uptick in the risk of potential conflicts in the region," said Shrimp.
Japan, a key U.S. ally, said Tuesday it would keep a "close eye" on the situation after the verdict is released, with Defense Minister Gen Nataktani urging all parties look for a "peaceful solution based on the principle of the rule of law.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-07-12 04:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(CNN)An international tribunal in the Hague ruled in favor of the Philippines Tuesday, concluding that there was no legal basis for China to claim historic rights to resources within South China Sea areas falling within the '"nine-dash line."
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-07-12 04:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In a statement released straight after the ruling, the Philippines government said it "strongly affirms its respect for this milestone decision as an important contribution to ongoing disputes in the South China Sea."
The Philippines and China have long been at odds over Beijing's claims of sovereignty over large swathes of the South China Sea, and Manila took its fight to the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration in 2013.
China had refused to participate in the case, which marks the first time an international court has ruled on the region's mess of overlapping claims.
China's "nine-dash line" extends hundreds of miles to the south and east of its island province of Hainan.
Developing story - more to come
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-07-12 05:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
China official Xinhua news agency said that the ruling was unlawful and said that the court doesn't have jurisdiction over sovereignty.
"China doesn't accept nor acknowledge the ruling," Xinhua said.

The Tribunal also found the none of the sea features claimed by China were capable of generating an Exclusive Economic Zone -- which gives country maritime rights to resources such as fish and oil and gas within 200 nautical miles of that land mass.
The Philippines and China have long been at odds over Beijing's claims of sovereignty over large swathes of the South China Sea, and Manila took its fight to the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration in 2013.
China had refused to participate in the case, which marks the first time an international court has ruled on the region's mess of overlapping claims.

The tribunal added that "China had violated the Philippines' sovereign rights" in its exclusive economic zone by interfering in fishing and oil exploration, constructing artificial islands and failing to stop Chinese fisherman from fishing the zone.
The panel found China had caused "severe harm" to coral around the site of its artificial islands. It had also "violated its obligation to preserve and protect fragile ecosystems."
Chinese fisherman had also killed endangered sea turtles and giant clams "on a substantial scale" -- with the full knowledge of China, the tribunal found.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-07-12 06:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This image tells you everything you need to know about China on the matter. Everyone involved is certainly competing over different overlapping areas, but then you see china's and its just balls-insane. To justify "owning" the water 10km off the coast of a country 2000km overseas is flabbergasting.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-12 07:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
the Civil War of Northern Aggression happen

Oh for ***'s sake, you're one of these [redacted].

I should have guessed.

I simply. Should have. Guessed.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-12 07:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

the Civil War of Northern Aggression happen

Oh for ***'s sake, you're one of these [redacted].

I should have guessed.

I simply. Should have. Guessed.

Hey smart *** show me where in the Constitution does it say a State can't leave the Union ?

I'm going to help you out its not in their.

I hear these How To Do guides are really helpful so i am going to show you a picture.

Heres a screw driver and some screws

Screw Yourself
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-12 07:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

its not in their
Vote for the guy who doesn't know English!
By Ramyrez 2016-07-12 07:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
its not in their
Vote for the guy who doesn't know English!

He's like the American version of ISIS, I swear. Bible in one hand, Constitution in the other, not understanding half the ***either one says, but ready to make your life hell by subjecting you to his skewed interpretation.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-12 10:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-07-12 12:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2016-07-12 13:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does Bernie Sanders always look like he just ate like 4 baby souls in every photo
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-12 13:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Are baby souls kosher?
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2016-07-12 13:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine they could be if your rabbi is from New Jersey
By Ramyrez 2016-07-12 14:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellent statement from W. at the funeral services that bears repeating, loudly and often.

Quote:
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions," Bush said. "This has strained our bonds of understanding and common purpose."

linky
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-07-12 14:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Members of the GoP brass were counting on him to say something unifying. Though their intent was to remind people of what the GoP was not what it has become.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-12 15:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Eddie S. Glaude, Jr., is the chair of the Department of African American Studies at Princeton University and the author of Democracy in Black.

My Democratic Problem With Voting for Hillary Clinton

Quote:
In the end, Donald Trump is just an exaggerated indication of the rot that is at the heart of this country. That fact of Trump alone, and the democratic anguish that goes with it, cannot be the only rationale to support Hillary Clinton. Something more substantive is required of us—of her.

Many, despite what I’ve written, will still vote for Clinton. I do not fault them—especially if they live in a hotly contested state like Ohio or Florida. Vote for Clinton to keep Trump out of office. I completely understand that. But I can’t vote for her.

I will vote down ballot, focusing my attention on congressional, state, and local elections. And I will leave the presidential ballot blank. I have to turn my back on the Democratic Party that repeatedly turns its back on the most vulnerable in this country, because the Party believes they have nowhere else to go. That false belief betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of this period of democratic awakening.

Hmm, a top page story in Time saying that being anti-Trump isn't a good enough reason to vote for Hillary? I know this is just one voice, but if it is in any way indicative of the black culture and how they feel about Clinton, it could become a major problem for her.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-12 15:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll see after the New Black Panthers start shooting people in Cleveland at the Republican Convention. Democrats are about to trash that city. It's gonna be bad.
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 59 60 61