Good Mule/main Job Combo?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Good mule/main job combo?
Good mule/main job combo?
First Page 2
 Asura.Foreverj
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 08:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning all,

Looking for advice on a good mule/main combo. What is those who have mule using with their main? Been thinking for a week. Lol

I can do the best:
Main geo with scholar or blue Mage or black Mage.
Scholar is a little more difficult to play with skillchain making and such.
Blue Mage is gonna require all that work and effort again.
Black Mage is simple but then I would require a scholar. easier to get good scholar or good black Mage?

Then I'm thinking easier to gear:
Geo with monk, Ninja, cor or Samurai,
But then how good is a monk and Sam versus a blue Mage? If I'm gonna do this might as well put in the work for a blue Mage and enjoy higher Dps.
For cor I have no idea how to gear or play cor.

Then last
Geo with white Mage,Paladins
I think people will die with me dual boxing white Mage and geo and I cannot dual stuff with this combo

If u guys have suggestions on what you do pls assist. Thanks lol

(Funny jokes and derailment of thread is allowed)
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-05-12 08:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH+GEO
BLU+GEO or BLU+COR for SAM roll
NIN+GEO
SAM+GEO
MNK+GEO

So best utility probs from having a GEO alt. GEO and COR are to have as a dual box, but the other jobs take a lot of busy work so you'd best main those listed first and mule the GEO or COR.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Keja
user: Cleric
By Asura.Keja 2016-05-12 09:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Best mule jobs: WHM,RDM,BRD,GEO,COR,THF, etc. Basically anything that can be played with minimal effort that give a good amount of bonus to a group.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-05-12 10:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Keja said: »
Best mule jobs: WHM,RDM,BRD,GEO,COR,THF, etc. Basically anything that can be played with minimal effort that give a good amount of bonus to a group.

Those are exactly the lvl 99 jobs for my mule, plus BLM and MNK. BLM is a pretty easy job to dualbox too. And especially useful if you are on SCH main, but probably still more use out of a GEO alt since they can nuke as well when your SCH makes a SC.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-05-12 10:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
So best utility probs from having a GEO alt.

^

My alt is usually on GEO. I usually use BLU or SCH on my main, depending, but typically with an eye on dual boxing stuff, not forming a party around my characters.

Really depends on what you want to do though.

I would consider starting with COR. It fits into most any strategy at a wide range of gear/focus levels, and isn't particularly reliant on JPs/Gifts to boot.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-05-12 10:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My Main is usually BLU or SCH also and my mule has WHM, GEO and BRD geared, but is mostly on GEO.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-12 10:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor is the best main job.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 10:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Cor is the best main job.

COR(main)+GEO mule is a pretty good combo. Opens up possibility to kill many NM (that a melee job will have hard time on)lowman or solo effortlessly.

Cor as a mule job is probably only good for blu or bigger group, or when you need wc. Mostly because of no haste and I would prefer GEO.
[+]
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-05-12 10:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Cor as a mule job is probably only good for blu or bigger group, or when you need wc. Mostly because of no haste and I would prefer GEO.

Generally, yeah. In this particular case though, I think the OP is looking for what to pair with his Idris GEO main.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-12 11:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I frequently do PUP+GEO and AFK while that kills whatever I am fighting. I glance at my screen from time to time to recast a spell or put a maneuver back up.

PUP in particular is just such a great dual box job. You literally throw a puppet and ***and do something else, unless it's actually a tough battle.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 11:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice ideas.

How u play and gear pup? How u play and gear cor? I know how to set up a blue Mage since I done it before. I was hoping a monk with a denouement does decent damage compare to a blue since it's easier to gear and set up.

Yea main is geo. thinking either mule as blue Mage or black Mage and when I need to party get a scholar and a tank. And melee route might be geo and roll only corsair or blue Mage.
 Fenrir.Acey
Server: Fenrir
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2016-05-12 12:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Foreverj said: »
Nice ideas.

How u play and gear pup? How u play and gear cor? I know how to set up a blue Mage since I done it before. I was hoping a monk with a denouement does decent damage compare to a blue since it's easier to gear and set up.

Yea main is geo. thinking either mule as blue Mage or black Mage and when I need to party get a scholar and a tank. And melee route might be geo and roll only corsair or blue Mage.

The o/u h2h is nice but monks damage just isn't up to par like it use to be. I rarely see myself breaking 10ks anymore on mnk.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 13:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Acey said: »
Nice ideas.

The o/u h2h is nice but monks damage just isn't up to par like it use to be. I rarely see myself breaking 10ks anymore on mnk.

What about white damage and can they solo skillchain?
 Fenrir.Acey
Server: Fenrir
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2016-05-12 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

White damage isn't even that great anymore unless as mnk you have vere v3 or glanz v3 but even then blu is still going to blow it away seeing aftermath only effects main hand. Mnk just isn't a viable option anymore like it was for delve or abyssea.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-05-12 14:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO & COR can basically do anything an ordinary DD would. Chaos/Sam's, vex/attune (if needed), or haste +frailty. Koru or King/August/Apururu. Savage Blade spam, and just gear your tp and acc set to be above average and you're pretty golden.

Cor friend of mine does amazing dmg when we team up to do escha.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 14:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
GEO & COR can basically do anything an ordinary DD would. Chaos/Sam's, vex/attune (if needed), or haste +frailty. Koru or King/August/Apururu. Savage Blade spam, and just gear your tp and acc set to be above average and you're pretty golden.

Tried asking help for gear update sets on cor page and also here but not getting that help lol

If I can get a gear set for tp, ws and quick draw would be nice.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 15:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

How u play and gear cor?

It completely depend on the target NM, and whether you are in a situation that you can multi step.

Generally for things that doesn't take magic dmg well and melee-able, such as selkit, caturae, Belphegor, Wepeawet, you can just melee for TP and savage blade it to death, or setup multi steps if there are no risk of trust interrupting. It works like a melee blu, just no light SC every 2 WS and needs haste bubble.

For things that takes good darkness damage and meleeable, such as gullop, gestalt, you can either melee with haste + malaise and spam leaden salute, or have another job open SC for you and let leaden close dark for massive SC dmg, or setup multi steps for leaden to close SC.

For things that takes extra piercing dmg, such as zduhac, I usually go /ra and abuse arma AM3 + triple shot for massive ranged white dmg and buff my ranged DPS to the max.

And for things that have terrible aoe or hard to melee, such as Ruaun T3, would be better to just spam wf from a distance with malaise on, then gain tp via high racc ranged set, lucid wings rotations, regain roll or occult acumen build.

The thing is that you need to first learn about the weakness of a mob, then plan a strategy or setup to abuse the weakness by boost your DPS to the max with right roll or bubbles. If fighting something weak against darkness, then boost your leaden dmg to the max with malaise, wizards roll, and setup SC for it if can. If fighting something takes good physical dmg, then boost your physical dmg with lightshot dia and chaos roll.

That makes the job a tad more complicated than let's say, MNK, which almost always requires same type of buffs or PT setup, and is almost always a melee job. Cor is a lot more versatile with the ability to switch between ranged and melee mode, or do both physical and magical dmg. To play it on main char instead of alt or buff mule, you may need tons of sets that's quite comparable to blu IMO.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 15:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried asking help for gear update sets on cor page and also here but not getting that help lol

If I can get a gear set for tp, ws and quick draw would be nice.

I'd reply if I have spreadsheet, but I haven't finish upgrade mine and I'd rather not give you wrong gear advice and cause you lose DPS.

Also there are many, many possible tp sets and more than one useful WS, it's also pretty tough to list every set.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 15:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

How u play and gear cor?

It completely depend on the target NM, and whether you are in a situation that you can multi step.

Generally for things that doesn't take magic dmg well and melee-able, such as selkit, caturae, Belphegor, Wepeawet, you can just melee for TP and savage blade it to death, or setup multi steps if there are no risk of trust interrupting. It works like a melee blu, just no light SC every 2 WS and needs haste bubble.

For things that takes good darkness damage and meleeable, such as gullop, gestalt, you can either melee with haste + malaise and spam leaden salute, or have another job open SC for you and let leaden close dark for massive SC dmg, or setup multi steps for leaden to close SC.

For things that takes extra piercing dmg, such as zduhac, I usually go /ra and abuse arma AM3 + triple shot for massive ranged white dmg and buff my ranged DPS to the max.

And for things that have terrible aoe or hard to melee, such as Ruaun T3, would be better to just spam wf from a distance with malaise on, then gain tp via high racc ranged set, lucid wings rotations, regain roll or occult acumen build.

The thing is that you need to first learn about the weakness of a mob, then plan a strategy or setup to abuse the weakness by boost your DPS to the max with right roll or bubbles. If fighting something weak against darkness, then boost your leaden dmg to the max with malaise, wizards roll, and setup SC for it if can. If fighting something takes good physical dmg, then boost your physical dmg with lightshot dia and chaos roll.

That makes the job a tad more complicated than let's say, MNK, which almost always requires same type of buffs or PT setup, and is almost always a melee job. Cor is a lot more versatile with the ability to switch between ranged and melee mode, or do both physical and magical dmg. To play it on main char instead of alt or buff mule, you may need tons of sets that's quite comparable to blu IMO.

Holy fudge damn that's a lot to remember lol
By Afania 2016-05-12 17:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

How u play and gear cor?

Holy fudge damn that's a lot to remember lol

You don't need to "remember" them, you "understand" the mechanics of a content or NM then come up with a solution to win efficiently.

This applies to every other jobs and strats in FFXI. You "understand" the mechanics behind a content or setup first, then come up with a strat.

It's like math, you don't memorize the answer to questions such as 1+1=2 or 2+2=4, you understand how math works then come up with an answer when you see a question.

Trying to "remember" a textbook answer strat or setup could be dangerous IMO, sometimes it become hard to adapt and ended up using cookie cutter setup for everything, if you fight something new then you won't know how to win. Those who shares strats on the forum after first kill, certainly didn't "remember" the strat since there are no textbook answers to learn from, they come up with the ideas to win after learning how a mob works.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 17:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean that's a lot of sets and gears to get for this char coming out of retirement. Lol u mention savage blade, what swords does cor use? And what bullets we shoot? Lol
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-05-12 17:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fettering blade is certainly our best sword at the moment. Demersal degen +1 is a solid offhand.

Divine bullets are your best RA/physical WS bullets.
Orichalcum bullets for magic WS.
Animikii for Quickdraw.

These all assume you do not have RMEA, as bullets change based on which you have access to.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 17:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean that's a lot of sets and gears to get for this char coming out of retirement. Lol u mention savage blade, what swords does cor use? And what bullets we shoot? Lol

Yes it is, that's why despite cor is dim a dozen job, only very few people gear it more than doing rolls/leaden/QD, while REMA BLUs are everywhere, as many endgame player picked sequence/almace/Tizona as their first or next REMA.

If you have blu geared and want an easy solution, just do blu+geo.

Fettering blade from Dawn BC is currently the what COR use for almost everything except last stand.

Bullets depend on your access to gears.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 17:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and btw, koru sucks for melee cor, because it will flurry2 instead of haste2 like a fail RDM.
 Asura.Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-12 17:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it is, that's why despite cor is dim a dozen job, only very few people gear it more than doing rolls/leaden/QD, while REMA BLUs are everywhere, as many endgame player picked sequence/almace/Tizona as their first or next REMA.

Fettering blade from Dawn BC is currently the what COR use for almost everything except last stand.

Problem is good blue and good geo is both on main char . Therefore need to make something of mule.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-05-12 18:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem is good blue and good geo is both on main char . Therefore need to make something of mule.

You can gear mule cor with just leaden and qd(with 119 empy feet) sets and ignore Savage blade sets completely. If you need to fight nm that is suitable for melee jobs and need physical dmg, do blu(main)+cor(buff only), since blu is still a superior melee DD job than cor when equally buffed.

If doing fights that are suitable for massive leaden darkness sc strat, do geo(main)+cor(mule), and close sc on mule.

You may be able to ignore tp sets completely as well, if you only ever bring it to escha and get tp via lucid wings and regain rolls.

With empy feet on mule, you can also use both char in a blm setup for rolls and do qd on nukes. COR is still quite functional with just buffs anyways. It's not like you need to be perfect to have a useful mule.

IMO that would open up a lot of things that you can with your chars. If you gear MNK or SAM on mule it just overlaps with what your BLU can do...and probably won't do it as great as blu.
[+]
 Siren.Flannelman
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flannelman 2016-05-12 18:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

One other benefit to COR mule is you can get up to 9min rolls. This is enough time to kill most things. Chaos and Sam rolls are usually a big enough buff for your BLU to destroy things.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2016-05-12 18:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Honor march empy relic mythic brd, yagrush and gamb whm, mythic RDM, mythic sch, mythic BLm, mythic smn, 2 Idris geo, mythic cor. At least that's gonna be my setup lol.
First Page 2