Forum » FFXI » General » Im ready to go pc
Im ready to go pc
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2016-02-25 07:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Escalow said: »
I am getting ready to convert to PC as well (from Xbox). Are there any PC controllers that any of you would recommend? If so do you have a controller setup (button mapping) you wouldn't mind sharing? Thank you in advance.

The Logitech F710 (wireless) is good. The F310 (wired) would be good except that I've had at least two of them die because of the lack of a proper strain relief where the wire exits the controller causing the wires to break inside. Do not get an F310. Both of them use the standard PS2 layout. Also, the F710 ships with a pair of Duracell AA batteries, so you can use it right away. Unfortunately for some reason Logitech doesn't want to make a game controller compatible with their "universal" keyboard/mouse dongle with the orange asterisk on it, or it would be perfect.

Someone mentioned something about the buttons, well I did have to take apart the F310s a few times to clean out gunk, but I've been using the F710 for a year with no problems.

There are other PS2-style controllers that may have a different button layout. I tried a 3rd-party wired PS3 controller once, and the polygon buttons were all wrong and I had to remap them in config. (probably Sony rearranged them to discourage using regular PC game controllers on the PS3)

And in my experience, 360-style controllers want the trigger buttons to work together as a camera rotation thingy instead of being separate, but I don't like the analog sticks being non-symmetrical anyhow. I'm sure there is some way to work around this, but it's easier to just plug in the Logitech controller.

Also, if you can get a PS2 controller to USB adapter, it's hard to go wrong with that and a genuine PS2 controller. They weren't easy enough for me to find a few years ago when I wanted one, but retro adapters are more common now.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-25 14:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Elwynbelwyn said: »
Bismarck.Escalow said: »
I am getting ready to convert to PC as well (from Xbox). Are there any PC controllers that any of you would recommend? If so do you have a controller setup (button mapping) you wouldn't mind sharing? Thank you in advance.

The Logitech F710 (wireless) is good. The F310 (wired) would be good except that I've had at least two of them die because of the lack of a proper strain relief where the wire exits the controller causing the wires to break inside. Do not get an F310. Both of them use the standard PS2 layout. Also, the F710 ships with a pair of Duracell AA batteries, so you can use it right away. Unfortunately for some reason Logitech doesn't want to make a game controller compatible with their "universal" keyboard/mouse dongle with the orange asterisk on it, or it would be perfect.

Someone mentioned something about the buttons, well I did have to take apart the F310s a few times to clean out gunk, but I've been using the F710 for a year with no problems.

There are other PS2-style controllers that may have a different button layout. I tried a 3rd-party wired PS3 controller once, and the polygon buttons were all wrong and I had to remap them in config. (probably Sony rearranged them to discourage using regular PC game controllers on the PS3)

And in my experience, 360-style controllers want the trigger buttons to work together as a camera rotation thingy instead of being separate, but I don't like the analog sticks being non-symmetrical anyhow. I'm sure there is some way to work around this, but it's easier to just plug in the Logitech controller.

Also, if you can get a PS2 controller to USB adapter, it's hard to go wrong with that and a genuine PS2 controller. They weren't easy enough for me to find a few years ago when I wanted one, but retro adapters are more common now.

The F310 works decent enough for the price really.

PS2 controllers (new anyway) aren't worth the price anymore.

Interestingly enough you can use the F310 as a PS3 controller.

As for the 360 controller, they added x-input support so you can use L2/R2 as buttons instead of as an axis now (there were ways around it before, but now it's moot).
 Siren.Frieza
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Frieza 2016-02-26 20:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I came back to FFXI after a long break only to find that with the latest updates, SE as managed to break the gamepad support and I've been unable to use my XBox 360 controller or my old Logitech F310. Haven't been able to find a fix or heard from SE when a fix would be released.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Cariboulou
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cariboulou 2016-02-26 21:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Upgraded Laptop and Desktop Pc this last year . The 2015's. We're decently priced. Both run the game very smoothly. Desktop is a HP from best buy running Windows 7 I upgraded to Windows 10 Was around$500. Laptop is Hp Envy $500 Both are core I-7s. Havnt had any issues.
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-02-26 21:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cariboulou said: »
Upgraded Laptop and Pc this year . The 2015's. We're decently priced. Both run the game very smoothly. Desktop is. A HP from best buy running Windows 10 $500. Laptop is Hp Envy $500 Both are core I-7s. Havnt had any issues.
Not to get everyone's hopes up, but the i7 HP Envy is listed at $1,000 on Bestbuy's website.

Can get a similar/better pc built from scratch for less as well.
By aisukage 2016-02-26 21:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Frieza said: »
I came back to FFXI after a long break only to find that with the latest updates, SE as managed to break the gamepad support and I've been unable to use my XBox 360 controller or my old Logitech F310. Haven't been able to find a fix or heard from SE when a fix would be released.

I had the same issue just go into the files and delete the Xinput file they added so when you go to your gamepad settings the xinput box should be greyed out and it should work as it use to.
 Siren.Frieza
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Frieza 2016-02-26 21:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-26 22:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, don't do that...

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-26 22:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Yeah, don't do that...
Jet you got any good reliable models you favor if I wanted a ffxi hexaboxing laptop without slowdown?

No, I don't keep up with laptops. Also I find the goal of that to be disturbing, and that's as somebody who plays 3 accounts.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-02-27 00:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I just know I wouldn't be able to do it.
By Draylo 2016-02-27 00:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought you quit?
By Jetackuu 2016-02-27 01:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Me? Or lolJosi?

I take long hiatuses, but I always come back (usually don't even cancel the accounts, so much $).