Will You Join META Server Lv75 Old School Era?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Will you join META server lv75 old school era?
Will you join META server lv75 old school era?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-12-22 11:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

SE will not help you do anything they weren't already planning on doing.

Yes, it is possible to create a server with all this ***, but it's not even remotely likely it will ever happen. It definitely won't be 'by january', a competent team of 3-4 good programmers is still looking at well over 6 months.

Don't forget that content like legion has tp moves and gameplay balanced for available abilities at 99(multiple sch/blm's essentially endless chainstun being a huge component). Just reducing the stats won't make it winnable by 75 characters unless you drop them to the point the flow of the event feels extremely off.

***won't happen, it doesn't matter if anyone wants it to(and they don't really). Too bad, so sad, move along folks.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-22 12:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't understand the cries for level 75 content. Please tell me how the game was SO much more balanced than it is now? People still only use a handful of jobs for content and a lot of jobs were excluded, just like now. SE has never done good balancing and prolly never will. The content progressed almost exactly how does it now but 10x slower with sidegrade gear, random augment gear and rare gear that everyone wanted.

The only thing that is different would be leveling from lv1 but you can emulate the party experience with job point farming which is almost exactly like merit parties. With all the freedom we have in our choices now, why the hell would you miss 75 days outside of nostalgia or the community?
[+]
 Bahamut.Halticus
Server: Bahamut
user: Halticus
By Bahamut.Halticus 2015-12-22 21:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined a server with the 75 cap for reasons I didn't realize weren't good. I missed the 75 era also like many peeps but I didn't realize it was the friendships made and community company that I was really missing. The thought of level 1 exp'n the old way didn't cross my mind but I soon remembered how much I hated it. The interactions with party members is what it was all about! That is truly what made exp'n the old way tolerable. I lasted on the private server a week and said screw it lol. Good luck if you succeed but I highly doubt this idea will even get off the ground. My honest opinion of course ^^
[+]
By TheLodest 2016-01-10 11:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I'm late ^^; I think about old days often. I am usually slow to adapt to big changes like abby brought us. But ultimately, I do accept them and enjoy all the variety this game offers now.

But, here's a counter-offer.

Re-launch on PC - Graphics x2, Frame-rate x2. Minimum I haven't played lately because I just can't look at it anymore.

Code - No limit. But, Kill POL and replace with a broadband updater.

Character Transfer - 1 Maximum at a reasonable 1 time cost. I am not starting R/M/E over.

Cost - An on-line market would probably be more than enough to support this effort. The details of prices of what is available would take some ironing out but, writing code for an in-game cash shop can be skipped this way. FFXIAH.com can probably be modded to accommodate.

This world deserves a refresh. I really hope it happens one day.
Good Luck.
 Bahamut.Foreverj
user: Foreverj
By Bahamut.Foreverj 2016-01-10 11:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah I wouldn't join. Game is so much more fun now
[+]
By Artemicion 2016-01-10 11:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, it's a shame Square-Enix didn't take it upon themselves to do something similar to this

Worth watching the whole video by the way, but I skipped to the relevant part.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-01-10 11:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Two words.....

FCUK NO
By Titanfoo 2016-01-10 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It was a beautiful era, I loved it all so much I didn't sleep. I still don't >_> but going back to less content? why on earth would I want that?

Just go lvl sync to some lvl 73 drg and go kill colobri.
 Bahamut.Aramachus
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2016-01-10 18:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would totally join one. But it had to be an official server or at least something that is approved by SE.

Ive had numerous discussion about this with my friends and I say it again and again. The problem with increasing the level cap was that the game sat at 75 for years and the rewards of all the instances that were developed over time were 75 and SE didnt change that. The whole range of 75 endgame salvage limbus sea sky whatever, those were the golden days of the game and SE did not have a solution how to deal with it once the cap was lifted. So they did nothing and basically threw the content away.

In terms of balance, Im a huge advocate of the lvl85-90 period, when most of the 75 endgame suddenly was well playable yet challenging with trio or duos. But was just my preferred way of playing endgame.

What really killed the game imo was the ilvl system. Thats a ffxiv tailored mechanic where it does make sense (I dont like it but thats not the question) and it does absolutely not make sense in ffxi where the game was designed in a way that you slowly build your character and favourite job and watch it gradually get stronger, get a wider variety of item sets over the years really. One update with ilvls and 90% of your gears which your worked hard for, which you spend days and months for, turn into crap.
ilvls is for ffxiv where gear isnt worth anything and you dont spend more than a few hours per piece usually, if at all.

long story short - sorry about that - I tried playing ffxi again now and then and each time quit again, just feeling frustrated because most of the great content SE developed through the years is pointless now: not challenging the slightest at ilvl119 and you just feel stupid trying to do it with non-ilvl gear when you know you could just equip that stuff with one click. and when you succeed clearing whatever instance, you get a lvl75 piece you dont need. most of the time you only get some kind of currency or piece that you can make into a 75 piece with some more work (like salvage stuff).

so yeah I would play a 75 era game and its because of the reason elaborated above: the golden era content was a great game and worth playing and it only works at lvl75. Also while alter egos were a nice idea, parties should always be superior and imo SE screwed that up. party grind was annoying as hell back then but if you take back the 23947283428973% bonus exp we get now to maybe 300% or 400% so you would get decent levels in a party, make some steady progress each time, play with alter egos if you dont have a few hours to level. thats a rough sketch of a balanced game imo.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-10 18:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Halticus said: »
I joined a server with the 75 cap for reasons I didn't realize weren't good. I missed the 75 era also like many peeps but I didn't realize it was the friendships made and community company that I was really missing. The thought of level 1 exp'n the old way didn't cross my mind but I soon remembered how much I hated it. The interactions with party members is what it was all about! That is truly what made exp'n the old way tolerable. I lasted on the private server a week and said screw it lol. Good luck if you succeed but I highly doubt this idea will even get off the ground. My honest opinion of course ^^

I've said this many times over again, "75 era" sucked hard core and the game is actually far more balanced now then ever before. The only thing that made the "old days" fun was having friends that also went through that misery with you. The experience of mutual suffering made it so that when something good did happen, it was amazing and you felt incredible and could share that with others. Nowadays there isn't nearly as much suffering in FFXI, if you wipe to some NM you don't need to wait a week for another attempt. If you kill something and don't get the item your after, you don't need to wait a few days or even a few hours, you can just kill it multiple times. Farming pop sets is much easier then before and high end content can be done frequently.

SE has taken most of the artificial limits out of the game and players can now play at their own pace. Some will want to play faster, others slower, and often there will be conflict revolving around that play speed, but at least it's now an option. About the only thing that's unbalanced is the offensive power of boss monsters. They have far too many status ailments and far too many punishing moves they can use at random. Boss monsters in FFXI need to be turned back a dial, have their status ailments be mostly single target or conal along with their evasion being toned down.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2016-01-10 19:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Bahamut.Halticus said: »

I've said this many times over again, "75 era" sucked hard core and the game is actually far more balanced now then ever before. The only thing that made the "old days" fun was having friends that also went through that misery with you. The experience of mutual suffering made it so that when something good did happen, it was amazing and you felt incredible and could share that with others. Nowadays there isn't nearly as much suffering in FFXI, if you wipe to some NM you don't need to wait a week for another attempt. If you kill something and don't get the item your after, you don't need to wait a few days or even a few hours, you can just kill it multiple times. Farming pop sets is much easier then before and high end content can be done frequently.

SE has taken most of the artificial limits out of the game and players can now play at their own pace. Some will want to play faster, others slower, and often there will be conflict revolving around that play speed, but at least it's now an option. About the only thing that's unbalanced is the offensive power of boss monsters. They have far too many status ailments and far too many punishing moves they can use at random. Boss monsters in FFXI need to be turned back a dial, have their status ailments be mostly single target or conal along with their evasion being toned down.

I dont know about unbalanced but it is definitely true that SE did a lot of good changes to the game after the 75 era. increase level exp was one thing. decrease wait times for instances another. I just thing they shot way over the top.
like level exp: players spent hours to get one level, that was too hard.
and SE went: ok you get 5 alter egos as strong as party members, you get 3483743% flat exp bonus and RoE and now it takes like 10 min to get a level.
The game just was not designed for that, ffxi has always been slow but steady progress and part of the games joy way see your jobs evolve. back then progress was too slow, now its just way too fast but there would be a very decent compromise inbetween that isnt even hard to find imo.

and you are definitely right about the boss monsters. the sad thing is that the game mechanics are so strong that enemies dont even need to be that ridiculous. its not necessary to give bosses aoe charm, doom, immunity to all enfeebles, whatever else. its stupid and just not necessary.
 Odin.Zadora
Server: Odin
user: Zad
By Odin.Zadora 2016-01-10 19:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what made the 75era good was the fact that when you level a job to 75 you would usually end up partying with the same people over time and sometimes making friends outside your linkshell this way. If your in a good capacity point party now I feel like your too busy to have time to really talk to people.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-10 19:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aramachus said: »
I dont know about unbalanced but it is definitely true that SE did a lot of good changes to the game after the 75 era. increase level exp was one thing. decrease wait times for instances another. I just thing they shot way over the top.
and SE went: ok you get 5 alter egos as strong as party members, you get 3483743% flat exp bonus and RoE and now it takes like 10 min to get a level.
The game just was not designed for that, ffxi has always been slow but steady progress and part of the games joy way see your jobs evolve. back then progress was too slow, now its just way too fast but there would be a very decent compromise inbetween that isnt even hard to find imo.

and you are definitely right about the boss monsters. the sad thing is that the game mechanics are so strong that enemies dont even need to be that ridiculous. its not necessary to give bosses aoe charm, doom, immunity to all enfeebles, whatever else. its stupid and just not necessary.

The thing about "XP" is that it doesn't exist anymore, neither do merits. SE made it easy to level up to cap because all relevant content is now 99+ and the faster a player can get to 99+ the faster they can partake in that content. Merits are the same, it used to be difficult to cap stats out at 75, but since post abyssea SE decided they shouldn't be difficult to cap out. Now we've moved on to "JP" as a form of power growth and it's no where near as easy as the previous two. You get it from killing monsters, the same ones that give you XP/merits, but you need 30,000 CP for a single JP and you need at least 2000 to cap your jobs growth. That is 60,000,000 CP, which is monstrous to get when starting at 0. CP rings only give you 1 JP worth of bonus CP so they are a drop in the bucket, nice but really only important to those who slowly raise their JP over a very long period of time.

So stop thinking about XP and "level" as actually meaning anything and instead look at JP and gear level as what's important. Things like magic accuracy, magic burst bonus, melee accuracy, melee store TP, -DT, HP and other vital stats are now what define your character growth, not some number next to your job on seacom.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-10 19:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zadora said: »
I think what made the 75era good was the fact that when you level a job to 75 you would usually end up partying with the same people over time and sometimes making friends outside your linkshell this way. If your in a good capacity point party now I feel like your too busy to have time to really talk to people.

If you had "time to talk" in old school XP then you were killing far to slowly. Killing VT's really fast was better XP then slowly killing IT++ for Chain 4~5. The only difference is due to sites like this one, everyone knows that killing really fast is the key to CP and so they aim for that.

I've made several friends from JP parties, people I frequently invite to continue getting JP because unlike XP, one person can't "out level" the other person. Good players remember each other and will frequently send tells prior to forming the party. I've JPed five jobs to 2100 and now frequently get tells from people to come do JP with them. Of course knowing practically every SC element of every WS helps a ton in party formation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2016-01-10 19:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about "XP" is that it doesn't exist anymore, neither do merits. SE made it easy to level up to cap because all relevant content is now 99+ and the faster a player can get to 99+ the faster they can partake in that content. Merits are the same, it used to be difficult to cap stats out at 75, but since post abyssea SE decided they shouldn't be difficult to cap out. Now we've moved on to "JP" as a form of power growth and it's no where near as easy as the previous two. You get it from killing monsters, the same ones that give you XP/merits, but you need 30,000 CP for a single JP and you need at least 2000 to cap your jobs growth. That is 60,000,000 CP, which is monstrous to get when starting at 0. CP rings only give you 1 JP worth of bonus CP so they are a drop in the bucket, nice but really only important to those who slowly raise their JP over a very long period of time.

So stop thinking about XP and "level" as actually meaning anything and instead look at JP and gear level as what's important. Things like magic accuracy, magic burst bonus, melee accuracy, melee store TP, -DT, HP and other vital stats are now what define your character growth, not some number next to your job on seacom.

back then, levelling was a huge part of the game. reducing the game only to endgame grind at the latest content is a mistake imo because the game has so much more to offer. But you are right, it is what SE seemed to have intended for the game.
But I think that is just another try to force a part of the ffxiv system onto ffxi like they did with the item levels.
Ok, the game has new rules now, but I just dont like it. I mean, thats why I stopped playing right? I liked the rules of ffxi pre-ilvl era. I really enjoyed even abyssea. But the drastic changes afterwards, its just not my game anymore. Thats why I would like to play a 75 cap server.
 Bahamut.Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2016-01-10 19:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

unlike XP, one person can't "out level" the other person.

that is a strong point for JP parties, I have to say that. Nevertheless, XP and JP could exist both, there is no reason why you should have a journey playing your job up to endgame and then at endgame continue to evolve via JP.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-10 21:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

back then, levelling was a huge part of the game. reducing the game only to endgame grind at the latest content is a mistake imo because the game has so much more to offer

It was necessary. This problem is not unique to FFXI, all MMO's experience this issue eventually. It's the simple result of the player base growing older and more experienced.

When we first started, "leveling up" was an accomplishment and the first time you hit 75 you felt amazing. Then you got your second job to 75, and it felt good but not as good. Then your third, and by the time you were working on your fourth, having played the game for four years, it felt like a huge *** grind you just wanted to get done with.

No matter what you do, you will never recapture that feeling of first hitting 75. That would be like trying to re-experience your first kiss, first car or first time having sex. So trying to artificially limit the game is a bad choice, it hurts the players far more then it helps. SE made the correct choice in removing the grind completely from XP and allowing anyone to get a job from 1 to 99 within a few hours with a friends help. The reason is that by this point in time, everyone should already have several level 99 jobs and thus there is no longer any "experience" to be had grinding it up. By removing it you enable the players to focus their time on current content / growth.

So in essence, what your chasing doesn't exist and trying to force it would only hurt others. Take off the rose tinted glass's and stop viewing past experiences as some sort of golden era, that's pure nostalgia speaking. 75 era was sucky because SE didn't know how to transition a game from an inexperienced player base to an experienced one. They eventually figured it out and what we have now is far more balanced.

Also stop *** thinking XP is important. It's a ***metric to use and if that's all you think a game is then you'll never be happy with any MMO ever created. You would need to constantly jump to new MMO's every three years in order to keep that experience going.
[+]
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2016-01-10 22:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you just compare hitting 75 to having sex for the first time?

Hitting 75 was undeniably more enjoyable.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2016-01-10 23:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

back then, levelling was a huge part of the game. reducing the game only to endgame grind at the latest content is a mistake imo because the game has so much more to offer

It was necessary. This problem is not unique to FFXI, all MMO's experience this issue eventually. It's the simple result of the player base growing older and more experienced.

When we first started, "leveling up" was an accomplishment and the first time you hit 75 you felt amazing. Then you got your second job to 75, and it felt good but not as good. Then your third, and by the time you were working on your fourth, having played the game for four years, it felt like a huge *** grind you just wanted to get done with.

No matter what you do, you will never recapture that feeling of first hitting 75. That would be like trying to re-experience your first kiss, first car or first time having sex. So trying to artificially limit the game is a bad choice, it hurts the players far more then it helps. SE made the correct choice in removing the grind completely from XP and allowing anyone to get a job from 1 to 99 within a few hours with a friends help. The reason is that by this point in time, everyone should already have several level 99 jobs and thus there is no longer any "experience" to be had grinding it up. By removing it you enable the players to focus their time on current content / growth.

So in essence, what your chasing doesn't exist and trying to force it would only hurt others. Take off the rose tinted glass's and stop viewing past experiences as some sort of golden era, that's pure nostalgia speaking. 75 era was sucky because SE didn't know how to transition a game from an inexperienced player base to an experienced one. They eventually figured it out and what we have now is far more balanced.

Also stop *** thinking XP is important. It's a ***metric to use and if that's all you think a game is then you'll never be happy with any MMO ever created. You would need to constantly jump to new MMO's every three years in order to keep that experience going.

I sense some anger there... I guess I just disagree with you. Maybe I just play different than you. When I grind a job "just to have it somewhere" I usually take it as a sign I should maybe take a break from the game and do something else. Levelling should be fun and can be fun, but it is also an attitude thing of the player of course.
If you like grinding fast paced new stuff go play ffxiv. I quit because it is a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE hamster wheel having your stuff and all content turned into crap every 3 month and replaced but hey a lot of people cant stop playing it so guess its the right kind of game for some.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-10 23:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Projection much
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-10 23:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

People remember all the good old days of party-griding (I do too!). They forget being asked to main heal on blm or smn. They forget practically begging for parties (or soloing) on pup, bst, smn--if there was a healer, blu, dnc once the fad wore off. Heck, the loldrg mantra had so much weight that people didn't even want to invite them while leveling, which was stupid because any heavy DD was pretty much fine while leveling. Yeah maybe their ws's sucked, but most people's ws's mostly sucked because they were still in Beetle at 45.

I still remember great parties, and great lols. My favorite camp in the game will always be Garlaige Citadel entrance camp but old XI had a lot of weaknesses.

They COULD fix these things. Trusts have shown that they can write a decent AI (better than fellows), but then again, if people have the ability to use trusts, they won't bother partying.

Valefor is extremely-low pop. NA is never, ever, above 700 and usually under 500 (worse when you consider mules) but there is literally never anyone seeking. Why seek? Use trusts.

But they could rework it so that any player in the party could call a trust, and each player, leader included, could only call one trust.

I haven't played on a private server, but a lot of what I've heard about several is that IT'S JUST LIKE OLD XI--except whatever aspects that servers admins disagreed with.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-11 00:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
People remember all the good old days of party-griding (I do too!). They forget being asked to main heal on blm or smn. They forget practically begging for parties (or soloing) on pup, bst, smn--if there was a healer, blu, dnc once the fad wore off. Heck, the loldrg mantra had so much weight that people didn't even want to invite them while leveling, which was stupid because any heavy DD was pretty much fine while leveling. Yeah maybe their ws's sucked, but most people's ws's mostly sucked because they were still in Beetle at 45.

Most of the "good memories" are from shared misery with other people. SE simply removed the misery part and CP is far easier to get as a team then solo. Thing is, that team needs to work together and whomever is leading needs to be willing to be flexible and not get stuck on job selection copied and pasted from a forum. So much of "75 era leveling" is now present in CP parties. Hell we're using the exact same strategy that I did to get my SAM to 75, two DD's make a SC with a healer present and some nukers MB off it. That's how we killed mandys and goblins in the jungle, bats and beetles in garliage, crabs in kuftal, raptors in cape terrigan or ullegrand range, goblins in bibiki, and even weapons in moon or sky.

Which is what makes all this nostalgia complaining so funny. SE did implement game mechanics that simulate "leveling up" from the old era but most of the players are too green to actually see it for what it is. JP gifts are just another form of "leveling up", if you add together all the attack, accuracy, MAB, ect.. you are essentially gaining levels.
[+]
By Draylo 2016-01-11 00:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Deadwing said: »
Private server 75 cap XI is already out there and gaining traction.

Putting in legion ilevel and everything else OP talked about kind of defeats the point of it being 75 imo.

Gaining traction? How so, they all seem to be the same to me.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-11 01:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

As in the one I play on is about to pass the smaller retail servers in terms of prime time population.

Umm that's not something to be proud of. My friends minecraft server has a bigger population then the smaller servers, considering they have something like 500 people on them with most being mules. Compare that to the bigger servers, or the fact that you have many servers spamming all three major time zones and you indi-server population is nothing special.

Private servers are a very small percentage of the player population, thankfully you are a self selecting population and your absence makes the game better for the rest of us. Or are you one of those players that still logs into FFXI and complains about it...

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-11 01:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On top of that...

C'mon.. F2P private servers where people can, and likely do, multibox for no charge? That's immeasurable vs retail where people have to pay full price for each account playing.

If FFXI was free, I'd have five accounts going. 5, because I like Apururu
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2016-01-11 12:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

As in the one I play on is about to pass the smaller retail servers in terms of prime time population.

Umm that's not something to be proud of. My friends minecraft server has a bigger population then the smaller servers, considering they have something like 500 people on them with most being mules. Compare that to the bigger servers, or the fact that you have many servers spamming all three major time zones and you indi-server population is nothing special.

Private servers are a very small percentage of the player population, thankfully you are a self selecting population and your absence makes the game better for the rest of us. Or are you one of those players that still logs into FFXI and complains about it...

I don't believe he was being proud about it. Thats a False projection and you should really stop because you tried to point out a plot hole, and came across stupid heavily misinformed.

He simply stated a quantifiable fact that a Private Server has more people than SE's current servers, that in itself is something to take away from moving to the 75 era servers.

Not to mention your last line, which came across as Psuedo Attack on his character, which is against this sites terms and conditions. For someone preaching about "your kind make our life bad" you're the only person sprouting negativity thus far, perhaps that's another projection of yourself onto others?
 Bismarck.Rosalee
Server: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2016-01-11 12:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it won't last forever, but just wait until the phone version comes out.

That'll be 75 cap until they start doing Abyssea content, since they're only releasing up through CoP with initial launch.