First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-05 17:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Game doesn't need to be any easier from buffs.

Only job that is majorly out of balance is BST and it is obvious because people are just replacing almost all strategies with it.

An average group can clear content below ilvl 130 with other setups anyway. On content over ilvl 130, you don't see melee strategies being used at all anyway. Nerfing BST won't change that, and on content over 130, Magic bursting is just as fast and easy to do. The only melee you might see on anything that high is either a THF or MAYBE a Blu to perform skillchains.

Anything 130 and under was already faceroll easy anyway, so who cares about it?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-05 17:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bring the pitchforks out, die bst!!!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-09-05 17:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Orlind said: »

Only job that is majorly out of balance is BST and it is obvious because people are just replacing almost all strategies with it.

I'd agree except adjusting BST would just put us in a previous state where 2-handed DDs still need something to help them out.

The issue is BSTs strength without having to lift a finger.

It is a pet job that functions completely fine without the master actually having to DD. The only job that is supposed to work this way is SMN, and is the playing field between the two in their roles despite the buffs provided, really equal?
When I say work this way too. I mean with a puppet or beast master not doing any damage the combined output of the two should be ideologically cut anywhere from 33-66% take your pick. I would say PUP has this right, but BST is completely off.

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. So no need to go into any detailed explanation with me. I just think other DD jobs need a bit of boost after BST is adjusted a bit.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-09-05 18:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Although some jobs are glarenly obvious that need a boost in damage a lot of the current issues that exist I don't think is directly related to just beast being overpowered but the design of the content we receive now and days. Many of us already know that we could most likely beat beasts hands down in terms of damage, but the way content is designed the extra care that must be taken when trying to do melee setups is disgusting. I would prefer SE go back to the drawing board and redesign content rather than nerfing jobs. I'm sorry but content should not consist in being terrored or amnesia every 5 seconds. This is not fun. Content should also not rely heavily on if you can find 1 whm out of the handful that doesn't suck even after being able to see people's status icons.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-09-05 18:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerf DRG plz.

Gugnir too stronk.
[+]
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2015-09-05 18:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If bst required more than 3-4 macros to be competent, it wouldn't be so annoying. Mage strat isn't much more exciting than bst strats, but at least I know the mages are putting forth a great deal of effort with gear/timing/mp management etc... which is more than I can say for the ready/reward/dt macro bsts.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-09-05 18:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
An average group can clear content below ilvl 130 with other setups anyway. On content over ilvl 130, you don't see melee strategies being used at all anyway. Nerfing BST won't change that, and on content over 130, Magic bursting is just as fast and easy to do. The only melee you might see on anything that high is either a THF or MAYBE a Blu to perform skillchains.
I'm not sure what content you are talking about but Melee strategies work well in Sinister (which is 130 I believe) and in my experience are as fast as Bst setups, they also require only finding 1 DD that doesn't suck versus 3ish.

I wouldn't say things below 130 don't matter, in fact content over 130 is extremely rare and not done by probably 99.9% of players.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2015-09-05 18:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Siviard said: »
Blue Mage definitely needs to be touched by the Nerf bat.

Why?

30k damage every 10 seconds, that's why. Y'all thought Rudra's Storm was out of control? Blue Mage is WAY out of control and needs to be brought back down to earth with the rest of the jobs.

Give me an example? Can't just make up random numbers.

Just as easy to go "hey nerf SMN because of ifrit MBing 99,999 with meteor strike"

At least that was more context.

I'm simply mocking someone from your server who uses asinine claims as a reason to nerf BST. He knows who he is.
[+]
 Asura.Masrur
user: ribena
By Asura.Masrur 2015-09-05 18:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd agree except adjusting BST would just put us in a previous state where 2-handed DDs still need something to help them out.

It is a pet job that functions completely fine without the master actually having to DD. The only job that is supposed to work this way is SMN, and is the playing field between the two in their roles despite the buffs provided, really equal?
When I say work this way too. I mean with a puppet or beast master not doing any damage the combined output of the two should be ideologically cut anywhere from 33-66% take your pick. I would say PUP has this right, but BST is completely off.

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. So no need to go into any detailed explanation with me. I just think other DD jobs need a bit of boost after BST is adjusted a bit.

Just nerf the pet back to being slightly stronger than before the buff and then buff the beastmaster, problem solved. :D

Only DD jobs that need a boost are the ones that aren't useful, like DRK.

A. BSTs that do amazing dmg worked hard on their gear and gift points. Players jumping onto BST with lacklustre gear do crap dmg.

B. SE released gear that forced BSTs to either buff themselves OR pets via aug. Alluvion gear or the augmenting system is flawed.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-05 19:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue Mage definitely needs to be touched by the Nerf bat.

Why?

30k damage every 10 seconds, that's why. Y'all thought Rudra's Storm was out of control? Blue Mage is WAY out of control and needs to be brought back down to earth with the rest of the jobs.

Give me an example? Can't just make up random numbers.

Just as easy to go "hey nerf SMN because of ifrit MBing 99,999 with meteor strike"

At least that was more context.

I'm simply mocking someone from your server who uses asinine claims as a reason to nerf BST. He knows who he is.

Oh look its the guy who brings his whole LS to + their own posts on the official forums lol. Also the same argument I made was made a few pages back with 7 +'s from all different people, obviously I wasn't alone.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-05 19:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And other jobs that do amazing damage worked hard on their gear and gift points as well. Yet, they aren't able to stand back completely out of AoE range, avoid all status defects and damage while continuing to do damage. That is what people are upset over. BLU and DNC can both do damage that makes BST laughable, but we can't avoid the ridiculous amount of *** AoE status debuffs that SE has attached to basically everything.

You can't argue that because gear is necessary to perform well that a job is balanced. That literally applies to every single job.
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2015-09-05 19:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, I don't bring anyone to the OF. Hell, I hardly post there at all, but whatever you think that makes you feel better at night.

You do deserve the mockery, though, as your arguments against BST are incredibly asinine.

And it's unfortunate, though, that people feel they have to nerf BST back to where it was unwelcome in endgame just so they can feel that "old school" status quo again, or whatever the reasoning is. I agree with another poster from here who said why not buff jobs that need it and leave others alone. Unfortunately, with people like you around, Draylo, that will never happen.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-05 19:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Take your domestic dispute to PMs, nobody else cares.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2015-09-05 19:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Care to tell what argument I made about BST that is "incredibly asinine"? I think you are taking your frustrations out on me, I'm not the one that caused the nerf, SE was listening to the JP player base not me.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2015-09-05 19:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Care to tell what argument I made about BST that is "incredibly asinine"? I think you are taking your frustrations out on me, I'm not the one that caused the nerf, SE was listening to the JP player base not me.

Gladly.

The fact that you seem to think a person can level BST from 1-99 and immediately are able to immerse themselves into current endgame content with basic Sparks gear.

In order to be able to do current endgame content, a BST has to spend millions upon millions of gil on stones to put Pet: Accuracy augments on a set. Those that like using the Lizard pet (Fireball) have to have a mixture of Pet: Mag. Accuracy and Pet: MAB. On top of all that, BSTs need a good Pet: DT set, which again uses more and more stones and more gil. BST isn't a job that you can half derierre and expect to be successful in endgame content.

And don't get me into the Job Points thing. Those are an absolute necessity for BST.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-05 19:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you somehow think other jobs are given their gear out of the blue? They hit 99 and immediately get Yorcia/Escha gear handed to them?

Many jobs have necessary Job Points or JP gifts, as well. BST is not a special snowflake in that regard.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-05 19:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I'm not sure what content you are talking about but Melee strategies work well in Sinister (which is 130 I believe) and in my experience are as fast as Bst setups, they also require only finding 1 DD that doesn't suck versus 3ish.

I wouldn't say things below 130 don't matter, in fact content over 130 is extremely rare and not done by probably 99.9% of players.

Sinster is indeed 130, which is why I said over 130. Sinister is also faceroll easy and was designed to be that way.

And when I say they don't matter, it's because they are super easy. It doesn't matter what job is better at doing trivial content. That content has been doable by other setups for a long while, before BST was relevant for any of it.

We can do more damage by skillchaining with out pets, and for a while we worked to find a way to make that viable. But it isn't. Not so much because melee is so dangerous, it's because swapping between axes for their various benefits has a more significant effect than building TP to skillchain with pets. Our TP is going to constantly reset every ten seconds. Unless we don't swap axes, which means either we are meleeing using a non ilvl axe that won't hit ***, or we are losing that five seconds off our ready timer.

So those of us who have been playing BST since before it was a thing started just not bothering to melee, and ended up playing like some kind of weird beast-mage swapping our off hand around for max benefit. Presumably all the bandwagon BSTs just saw us playing this way and adopted it themselves, even though they might not realize that they SHOULD melee if they don't have Charmer's Merlin provided the situation is safe enough for it.

In fact, in the very first BST delve video I posted showing that BST was viable in end game, I actually used my pet to skillchain with and did a 30k Cloudsplitter into a 60k Darkness to burn through the physical resist stage. But then we realized we could do it better by making magic sets and axes, summoning a slug and swapping mainhands around. Made it impossible to skillchain because TP was lost, but it was safer. Slower, but certainly safer.

As far as equip sets go, most people who play melee jobs probably don't build more than tp/ws/dt sets, and the dt isn't even a given. Beastmaster is in the same boat. Bads are only going to build ws/dt/reward, and like most melee, that is usually all they need. But then you have the people who really want to min/max their jobs who will go ahead and build those pet:mab, master:mab, master tp, cure sets, fastcast, pet:macc, master ws, physical dt, magical dt, high acc pet, hybrid sets for soloing... And on and on. And it really is evident when people don't have this stuff. I don't like bandwagon BSTs either. I actually think band wagoners are quite weak, but I play with literally the highest echelon of Beastmasters there are, so my opinion is probably screwed.
[+]
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2015-09-05 19:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
And other jobs that do amazing damage worked hard on their gear and gift points as well. Yet, they aren't able to stand back completely out of AoE range, avoid all status defects and damage while continuing to do damage. That is what people are upset over. BLU and DNC can both do damage that makes BST laughable, but we can't avoid the ridiculous amount of *** AoE status debuffs that SE has attached to basically everything.

You can't argue that because gear is necessary to perform well that a job is balanced. That literally applies to every single job.

A. So a BST who has full pet augments are expected to melee, when their (the master's) accuracy and attack is shite.

B. SMN's stand out of AoE too. I guess with your logic SMN will HAVE to melee in order to BP.

C. Pets can and do die. Call Beast has timers. Bestial Loyalty is on 20mins. Reward is on a CD. Dawn Muslum is not practical to carry that many.

I've highlighted BST's limitations. You're just putting forward a nerf argument but can't state how it CAN balance BST the job.

Have you played BST? Have you geared BST? Have you attended events as BST? Not every event is BST friendly. Petrified pets? Screwed! AoE heavy moves? Pets will die! Endeath? Pets will die!

BST shine when partnered with other BSTs. Only COR and GEO (indirectly) can buff BST.
only the Master can heal the pet (Tactician Roll doesn't really cut it).

Melees can be buffed by... BRD, COR, GEO, SMN, RDM, WHM
Melees can be healed by.... MAGES.

Instead of asking for nerf for xyz job, how about buff abc jobs. Or jump on the bandwagon! I'd love to see you BST in action!
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-09-05 19:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Sinster is indeed 130, which is why I said over 130. Sinister is also faceroll easy and was designed to be that way.

And when I say they don't matter, it's because they are super easy. It doesn't matter what job is better at doing trivial content. That content has been doable by other setups for a long while, before BST was relevant for any of it.
What events are over 130? All I can think of is Vagary (magic required) and T3 Escha which I haven't done to say if it is melee-able or not. Incursion doesn't really count, but incursion when it was viable was full melee. You're basically calling all content but maybe 10 mobs and an event most people did once for unlocks the thing that matters and a reason a job needs a nerf. Maybe I'm forgetting some 130+ events, which exactly are they?
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-05 19:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My BST is one of the strongest on my server. I have played it in every single event in this game.

A. At no point did I say masters need to melee. I'm highlighting what people dislike about the current BST meta.

B. SMN is a moot point, as it is NOT the issue here.

C. My pet literally has 71% PDT. Reward is on a 51 second CD. Randy, one of the defensively weakest pets we have, has almost 5000 HP. If you're letting it die, there's something absurdly wrong with your gear or your understanding of the job.

Petrify sucks for everybody, and I know it's a pain to a pet. That is the only point you've made properly. Heavy AoEs? Again, I refer you to 71% PDT and 5K or above HP. Endeath? You're literally using 1 single fight out of the astounding multitude of content in the game in order to justify an argument? Come on.

If you had read the thread and my previous responses, you would have seen that I advocate buffing jobs rather than nerfing. Come on over to Sylph any time you'd like. I'd be glad to show you my exceptionally geared BST if you're that intent on trying to find holes in an argument.

I complain about BST because I understand the job. I have experience with it and know what it does. I'm not sitting here upset without having any prior knowledge.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-05 20:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

Gladly.

The fact that you seem to think a person can level BST from 1-99 and immediately are able to immerse themselves into current endgame content with basic Sparks gear.

In order to be able to do current endgame content, a BST has to spend millions upon millions of gil on stones to put Pet: Accuracy augments on a set. Those that like using the Lizard pet (Fireball) have to have a mixture of Pet: Mag. Accuracy and Pet: MAB. On top of all that, BSTs need a good Pet: DT set, which again uses more and more stones and more gil. BST isn't a job that you can half derierre and expect to be successful in endgame content.

And don't get me into the Job Points thing. Those are an absolute necessity for BST.

Hm I don't recall ever saying that, maybe you could find that quote for me. I've said that it isn't hard to gear up but not that you could instantly ding 99 and beat all the parses. 119 Axe with skirmish augments isn't exactly hard, and all jobs have that minimum at this point.
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2015-09-05 20:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

^^ Stopped reading after your first sentence.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2015-09-05 20:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Masrur said: »
^ Stopped reading after your first sentence.

Cordial as ever.

Ribena is my favourite cordial!
By Draylo 2015-09-05 20:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't directed at you, unless you are talking about Oraen. I hope not though.