2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » June Version Update
June Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-25 16:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, alright then.

FWIW I might still end up taking Atoyac as my offhand based on those numbers (Nibiru's obviously harder to justify passing on) just to have more flexibility with my TP, but w/e.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-25 16:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to presume the same logic for DNC as for THF, but generally the weapons with solid modifiers (particularly DEX) and bonuses like WS damage are going to perform overall better than weapons like Blurred/+1 and Mandau. This is simply because the Dagger WSs, mostly with bonuses like SA or Flourishes, have been boosted to the point of being much more significant than regular melee damage.

You're probably thinking "but then why doesn't OAT help, since that would mean more regular WSs?", to which I direct you here. The difference between each weapon is going to vary drastically by whatever else you're wearing (especially with augments) and what you're fighting. The only thing for certain is mythics (when used properly) will easily beat anything else.

edit: As it happens, the best off-hand dagger for a Vajra THF would be Ipetam with WS damage, so there are some discrepancies. Try not to worry too much about it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2015-06-25 16:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
It is a very big generalisation, I would argue that Gearswap serves to enhance good players by turning multiple inputs into 1 single input and allowing for utilisation of gear that would be otherwise difficult to use.

For example, you cast a spell in gearswap, you can gear for fastcast/quick magic with the knowledge gearswap will successfully swap into your midcast set regardless of how fast you cast, even with an instacast proc.

Give Gearswap to a bad player and they probably aren't utilising these sets that make Gearswap such a powerful tool. On the flipside, good players who don't use Gearswap will still be good, they just might not be able to carry out all the actions/swaps they want to.
slowclap.gif
preach.jpg
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-06-25 16:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you downloaded a fresh spreadsheet it could be pretty off in modern day as well, they haven't been updated in 6+ months, many don't even use frailty if you check that box.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-25 16:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
edit: As it happens, the best off-hand dagger for a Vajra THF would be Ipetam with WS damage, so there are some discrepancies. Try not to worry too much about it.

Is jugo+1 still the best offhand for a non mythic thf?
For the most part, yeah. On extremely evasive content where you need as much accuracy as possible, weapons like Izhiikoh, Odium, and Ipetam will be much stronger choices.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-06-25 17:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

unrelated to math

If you are invisible and use /sitchair, your chair isn't invisible (but you are)

you're welcome
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-25 17:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
If you are invisible and use /sitchair, your chair isn't invisible (but you are)
So that's how Melvein does it
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-25 18:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

-find noobs in Dunes

-invisichair

-click off invis

-WHAT IS A NOOB? A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF QUESTIONS!
[+]
By Meepercat 2015-06-25 19:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
-find noobs in Dunes

-invisichair

-click off invis

Dracula hates noobs! Lol'd a good long while at this
 Bahamut.Flareon
Server: Bahamut
user: Flareon
By Bahamut.Flareon 2015-06-25 19:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So i never unlocked SMN and hence haven't done Waking the Beast quests... Seems like i won't be able to do the Carbuncle fight, right?
 Cerberus.Kaeviathan
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kaeviathan 2015-06-25 21:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So, alluvion skirmish gear is still better correct? (In terms of DD).
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 21:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaeviathan said: »
So, alluvion skirmish gear is still better correct? (In terms of DD).

Properly augmented alluvion skirmish gear is very nice. Improperly or unaugmented is not.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2015-06-25 21:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought the chair items from CP and used them and got 2 Ortlinde Feathers for T3 Einherjar, LS mate used them and got 2 Waking Dreams Phantom Gems lol.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2015-06-25 21:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Whaaaaa

The chairs gave me lame *** crystals for mog garden lol
*** right off SE

wow that sucks :p
By Draylo 2015-06-25 21:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a windower glitch I think
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-06-25 21:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
If you downloaded a fresh spreadsheet it could be pretty off in modern day as well, they haven't been updated in 6+ months, many don't even use frailty if you check that box.

One of my long-held desires was to write a dps calculator in a real language that worked off the .dats instead of dealing with the vagaries of Excel.

But the spreadsheets were always Good Enough and other projects were always more pressing...
[+]
 Phoenix.Craptaculous
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Craptaculous 2015-06-25 21:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
-find noobs in Dunes

-invisichair

-click off invis

i liked doing this with chocobo riders in party back in the day before waypoints lol...couldn't do it to self but still funny none the less
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-06-25 21:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »

One of my long-held desires was to write a dps calculator in a real language that worked off the .dats instead of dealing with the vagaries of Excel.

But the spreadsheets were always Good Enough and other projects were always more pressing...
I've always thought a version of Rawr (the old WoW DPS program) would be really cool. It had an awesome interface and worked really well.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 22:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the .dats actually store the data for the weapons themselves (dmg, delay, etc), or just store the image that gets displayed when I examine the item in game? 'cause having to do OCR of every piece of equipment in the game every patch could be an issue, especially if they do something with the .dat format.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-06-25 22:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
Do the .dats actually store the data for the weapons themselves (dmg, delay, etc), or just store the image that gets displayed when I examine the item in game? 'cause having to do OCR of every piece of equipment in the game every patch could be an issue, especially if they do something with the .dat format.

You can absolutely get everything you'd need from the files - that's how the mining process works (which is why AH and BG can have reasonably up to date item lists so soon after a patch). If you use POLUtils, you can export whole sets of items as XML, with all the properties intact, for yourself. For example, Excalibur 75 looks like:

Obviously, you've got some work to do from there, but it's not so bad.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 22:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised that the client has that information. I figured it'd all be server side, with the client just getting the image we see in game. Although now that I think about it, the client would need to know what items were usuable, or equipable, by race/job. Although, still, I assumed that such information would be transmitted along with items in inventory (item in slot x is usable, etc), and then recalculated server side and sent to the client when the inventory is reordered. Although, that does sound like a waste when you can offload what is usable to the client, but then the server still has to check to see if the item you're using is usable -- or not. I understand several exploits have revolved around the fact that the server doesn't check to see if you can actually do things, the client does, and the server just waits for the client to tell it what's happening.

Which... I'd never have designed a client that was so trusted, but I also understand they weren't expecting much in the way of packet injection and other exploits on the PS2.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-06-25 22:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Which... I'd never have designed a client that was so trusted, but I also understand they weren't expecting much in the way of packet injection and other exploits on the PS2.

Don't get too carried away. There's some holes, but I think calling the client "trusted" is a stretch. No calculations of note ever happen client side, for example. There are a number of things that the client doesn't even keep a current copy of unless you ask to display it (like base statistics!).
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2015-06-25 22:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ad DNC spreadsheet: New version with fixed cell formatting is up.

https://goo.gl/tk10gx

It wasn't broken; some percentages would just show as e. g. "40.00%", so they would be wider than the actual column, which is turned into a displayed "###" instead. For calculations, the right values were used, so the previous version was working as intended for those purposes.

I also have started a web thingy (in a "real" language) to get rid of DPS spreadsheets, reading stuff right from the Windower resource files, but unfortunately, no time for that. ;-(
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 22:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get too carried away. There's some holes, but I think calling the client "trusted" is a stretch. No calculations of note ever happen client side, for example. There are a number of things that the client doesn't even keep a current copy of unless you ask to display it (like base statistics!).

Well, I guess I should add that the person from whom I was learning to program was extremely into the idea of not letting clients, or userland processes, have any access whatsoever to anything that was not directly mediated by the server or the kernel. Stuff like "the client does not issue orders, it only makes requests", and exists only as a means of displaying output from the server. Security was a huge focus in everything.
By Elazar1 2015-06-25 23:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

does anyone have a link to the gear, yet as not seen one? wondering if its worth getting alts clears to do new prime fights. thanks
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-26 00:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, still haven't found a recipe for the new fishing food.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-26 00:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Elazar1 said: »
does anyone have a link to the gear, yet as not seen one? wondering if its worth getting alts clears to do new prime fights. thanks

FENRIR
lupine cape
capitoline strap
ma'iitsoh haube
medeina kiliji
vrikodara jupon

CARBUNCLE
engraved belt
lapidary tunic
marquetry staff
satlada necklace
diamantaire sollerets