Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-07-01 20:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Asura.Ivlilla said: »
Rooks said: »
Which... I'd never have designed a client that was so trusted, but I also understand they weren't expecting much in the way of packet injection and other exploits on the PS2.

Don't get too carried away. There's some holes, but I think calling the client "trusted" is a stretch. No calculations of note ever happen client side, for example. There are a number of things that the client doesn't even keep a current copy of unless you ask to display it (like base statistics!).

Well, I guess I should add that the person from whom I was learning to program was extremely into the idea of not letting clients, or userland processes, have any access whatsoever to anything that was not directly mediated by the server or the kernel. Stuff like "the client does not issue orders, it only makes requests", and exists only as a means of displaying output from the server. Security was a huge focus in everything.
Don't worry, you were right the first time.
You just didn't conceptualize it completely.
The client DOES only have "images" and the server DOES only have "data"... This is why no matter what dat you replace on the client, you will always perform the function as everyone else does on the server.
A way to think about it is that the server is a mirrored client, where all the calculations happen and all the "real data" is stored.

This is why we have to reverse engineer all the formulas and stuff instead of just ripping it, because the hard data is serverside.
(Which is done for many a reason, but in a MMO, the biggest is so that someone doesn't cheat and make a god ability.)

BUT this doesn't dismiss Rooks's idea.
The reader would just have to have selfcontained formulas.
And read the item data (which is duplicated clientside but is actually held serverside. The duplication is for display purposes only, hence why we can rip what it is, but can't change what it is in game outside of visually.).
It would be similar to the excell spreadsheets, one could even use them as a reference for the formulas needed... But would be closer to a model viewer in function of actually reading the dats.

for the pedagogy: how are speedhacks done then? does it change something like deltatime in outgoing packets or something? or are position data actually sent in manipulable form to the client?
[+]
 Valefor.Seranos
Server: Valefor
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-07-03 11:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
There's no way Pioneer's is sub rank 4 on your server.

Needs to be rank 5 to buy KIs according to BG wiki and it's at 4.
By Malebolge 2015-07-03 18:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So harvesting items from the nodes levels up most of the Mog Garden things... what levels up Monster Rearing? Collecting items or interacting with/feeding monsters?
By FaeQueenCory 2015-07-03 20:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
FaeQueenCory said: »
Rooks said: »
Which... I'd never have designed a client that was so trusted, but I also understand they weren't expecting much in the way of packet injection and other exploits on the PS2.

Don't get too carried away. There's some holes, but I think calling the client "trusted" is a stretch. No calculations of note ever happen client side, for example. There are a number of things that the client doesn't even keep a current copy of unless you ask to display it (like base statistics!).

Well, I guess I should add that the person from whom I was learning to program was extremely into the idea of not letting clients, or userland processes, have any access whatsoever to anything that was not directly mediated by the server or the kernel. Stuff like "the client does not issue orders, it only makes requests", and exists only as a means of displaying output from the server. Security was a huge focus in everything.
Don't worry, you were right the first time.
You just didn't conceptualize it completely.
The client DOES only have "images" and the server DOES only have "data"... This is why no matter what dat you replace on the client, you will always perform the function as everyone else does on the server.
A way to think about it is that the server is a mirrored client, where all the calculations happen and all the "real data" is stored.

This is why we have to reverse engineer all the formulas and stuff instead of just ripping it, because the hard data is serverside.
(Which is done for many a reason, but in a MMO, the biggest is so that someone doesn't cheat and make a god ability.)

BUT this doesn't dismiss Rooks's idea.
The reader would just have to have selfcontained formulas.
And read the item data (which is duplicated clientside but is actually held serverside. The duplication is for display purposes only, hence why we can rip what it is, but can't change what it is in game outside of visually.).
It would be similar to the excell spreadsheets, one could even use them as a reference for the formulas needed... But would be closer to a model viewer in function of actually reading the dats.

for the pedagogy: how are speedhacks done then? does it change something like deltatime in outgoing packets or something? or are position data actually sent in manipulable form to the client?
Speed hacks are just packets sent to the server to tell the server that such an effect is active.
Position hacks are data sent to the server that tells the server your position is not what it is.
Some "speed hacks" are actually a form of position hacking.
Movement is a conversation between the server and the client, generally it flows as thus:
You move your character on screen a yalm.
Your client sends the server a tell that your character moved a yalm.
The server moves your character a yalm.
Repeat.

It's very similar in concept of playing chess over the mail.
This is why if you cast magic too close to moving, you'll "still be moving" and interrupt your casting.
Ranger attacks too.
Your client is moving faster than the packet transmission and server process, and since the sever is Law, your casting/attack is interrupted.

Hope that answers your questions.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-07-04 00:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Vagary Hue for magic kills in body/legs still seems to give us issues, someone mentioned they need to be 5k+ dmg is this true or speculation? Skillchain and MB seem to be going fine but kills were burning thru everything in zone and not getting message/ki upgrade.