Found Freshly Picked Summary (in Japanese)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Found Freshly Picked Summary (in Japanese)
Found Freshly Picked Summary (in Japanese)
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-03 15:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vinedrius said: »
So... the native app is basically a remake for iOS and android? Most people thought it would be a port. Also Matsui says it will be a completely separate game only supervised by some FFXI devs and there won't be a transfer option. I wonder what profit Nexon is expecting to gain from a completely separate remake of a 14 years old game for phones and tablets.

The kind of profit where a player can log in and gachapon a REM.

RMT and Cash Shop operators standing by.

I suspect that SE will be gaining royalties from ingame purchases, even if it's just a low % generated. What most players fail to realize is that XI has slowly become tailored towards this mobile game, with "campaigns" and now standardized login rewards. Add in nostalgia and the lures of a "non-PS2 version", and there can be many interesting things involved. Not to mention the interview noted that the mobile version can potentially have its own content and expansions.

In theory, they can make some good money off this by reselling the old expansion content (which they sounded like they're going to do), as well as be able to make newer content without all the hassles involved of developing across three platforms. No more having to rent and pay Sony for tech and licensing, just solid PC Korean slave coding. The irony is that he states within the interview that it would be like making a new MMO from the ground up to overhaul XI, but that is ultimately what is going on with the Nexon version of XI from the information released so far.

tl;dr PC XI gonna go bye bye eventually, pay us X amount of money to relive dying in Dune parties with a new generation of underaged players.Don't forget to log in to spin the Legendary Wheel! $5 per spin!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-03 18:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mashall said: »
kinda stupid thats fees are still gonna be $13 even though no more new content and w/e.
i can see a lot of ppl quitting after March 2016. and that is probably what SE wants

I can't speak for anyone else, but my only concern now is completing the story. I don't see any point riding the gear treadmill anymore if I already have what it takes to win the new battles. Once those are done what's there to really do? Collect gear and have nothing to use it on? I might as well play Zwinky.
[+]
By Malebolge 2015-04-03 21:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As we've explained on various occasions, the game was developed originally as a PlayStation 2 game, and it has been developed while performing maintenance in a development environment from over ten years ago.

Many of the resources can only be made in integrated environments, and since the PlayStation development equipment is at the core of this, if the PlayStation 2 tools can no longer be used it will not be possible to continue development.

So there you have it, folks. PS2 Limitations have been the unbeatable final boss of FFXI all along.
[+]
 Bahamut.Sephiran
Guildwork Premium
Server: Bahamut
user: Sephiran
By Bahamut.Sephiran 2015-04-03 21:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Malebolge said: »
Quote:
As we've explained on various occasions, the game was developed originally as a PlayStation 2 game, and it has been developed while performing maintenance in a development environment from over ten years ago.

Many of the resources can only be made in integrated environments, and since the PlayStation development equipment is at the core of this, if the PlayStation 2 tools can no longer be used it will not be possible to continue development.

So there you have it, folks. PS2 Limitations have been the unbeatable final boss of FFXI all along.

I find it almost comical that they didn't want to classify FFXI as an MMO for the purposes of remaking it on mobile platforms. I hope for SE's sake that they learn not to use the same fleeting tools in future MMO's whatever they think FFXI is.
 Siren.Dekoda
Server: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2015-04-03 23:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i can see a lot of ppl quitting after March 2016. and that is probably what SE wants

yes SE wants to lose money
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
Server: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-04-04 03:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

kinda stupid thats fees are still gonna be $13 even though no more new content and w/e.

Matsui has already blatantly stated that they didn't have any plan to change subscription plan and also they wanted everyone to keep playing. It translates to "this is our cash cow and we are still eager to keep it alive for as long as possible". How can you say that SE wants people to quit after March 2016? >.>
 Fenrir.Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-04 07:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dekoda said: »

yes SE wants to lose money

A smart company will accept a temporary loss on one product to free up resources to generate higher profits later.
By Malebolge 2015-04-04 07:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They can't just take the FFXI subscription fees and rebuild a MMO from the ground up with them, though. That's just a stupid thing to suggest might happen. Shut up. Don't be ridiculous.
 Fenrir.Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-04-04 08:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Malebolge said: »
They can't just take the FFXI subscription fees and rebuild a MMO from the ground up with them, though. That's just a stupid thing to suggest might happen. Shut up. Don't be ridiculous.

They did! It's called FFXIV: ARR!
By Malebolge 2015-04-04 08:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry that post wasn't more clear, I couldn't find the "intense sarcasm" tag.
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2015-04-04 15:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just shut the servers down immediately then?
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-04 15:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If they give the illusion that you can still play with no known end time, they bank on people now trying to finish up those final projects, and working on them after the last update.

If they just went out and said "We got 3 story content patches coming and nothing else after November, and the servers are down forever in March 2016", they would basically lose the remaining subs, and only see any real profit period in October or November as people would log in to finish up the last storyline content and call it quits. They know they're gonna have subs tank as a result of this news, so best to squeeze out as much money as they can.

Kinda like how Matsui was all "Lawl, you been paying us $12.95 +2 or more mules for the last 14 years. Enjoy paying for server upkeep with no new content post November so the game lasts long time~"
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2015-04-04 16:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's dumb, they should just never announce that they're finishing content updates in the first place and subs would never tank.

There's nothing anyone could even say to prove your claim wrong since it's pure speculation, so I find it so easy to dismiss. Like what would you even need to hear to convince you this is not the case? Seems like nothing lol
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-04-04 17:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just basic business sense. It doesn't hurt the claim as SE themselves have made those claims as translated earlier in the thread and by the US community reps.

Matsui wants the game to continue on for awhile longer, and feels the same sub fee will show SE that the game can continue to keep a profit churning, as the dual / tri boxers will cover some of the players that will mass exodus once they complete their desired content. Another supporting detail to this is how they plan to not merge any servers until after November 2015, when the last update hits and they see how much life support is needed to give the game the image that Vana'diel is still alive and thriving to the waning player base. Business dictates a need for some players to move servers during this time frame, so that generates the desire to pay the $18 fee on top of the $12.95 and mule fee to hop over to somewhere such as Asura. If even 20 players do this during now and November, SE stands to make $619 in profit off those players. If a merge was provided free of charge, SE would lose potential sales, as there could easily be twice as many people doing transfers, or maybe even five times as many.

Likewise, if they really did come out and claim their longest supported title is going to be shut down, it would severely hurt their image, which is very important in Japanese culture. That is part of the divide here, we're not discussing EA or some other MURIKA giant of gaming, we're talking about a company deep in a culture about pride and honor. By announcing in advance they're ending PS2 and 360 support, and explaining they forfeit the dev tools in that process, it makes the situation seem more understandable to the consumer. SE also is giving the PC client freely now so console players can migrate at any time to keep playing.

SE is playing the tricky game of businessman and PR, which is a very delicate dance. On one hand, it's clear many adventurers will be forced into retirement with the announcement, since nothing truly lasts forever, but on the other hand, they genuinely want to keep the game alive and are using those other projects to keep the spirit going. This generates publicity for those games, and with XI on life support, will have people interested to see what they can offer. If XI still had support, those titles would likely not have nostalgia starved XI vets giving them the support SE hopes to give em.

Source - I sold something in Jita on EVE Online, so totally a business expert. If that doesn't count, I bazaar in Lower Jeuno?
By Zubis 2015-04-04 18:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Think we'll go from 16 servers to 8, or 16 to 4?
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-04-04 18:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Zubis said: »
Think we'll go from 16 servers to 8, or 16 to 4?

Given that by the time the merges are slated to happen, major content will be completed, it's going to be 4. I wouldn't be incredibly shocked if it was even lower.

What I'd do, honestly, is set up a couple of new servers, and give people a free transfer to any of the new ones. This ensures that active players get first pick on the name pool, and lets the remaining faithful have some say in where they go (and who they go with).

[Edit: Also, new servers would mean things like Coalitions/Colonization/Walk of Echoes/etc would need to be re-cleared, giving the new population something to do together. Some would like that, some would hate it, but it'd be something to consider.]
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2015-04-04 19:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
It's just basic business sense. It doesn't hurt the claim as SE themselves have made those claims as translated earlier in the thread and by the US community reps.

Matsui wants the game to continue on for awhile longer, and feels the same sub fee will show SE that the game can continue to keep a profit churning, as the dual / tri boxers will cover some of the players that will mass exodus once they complete their desired content. Another supporting detail to this is how they plan to not merge any servers until after November 2015, when the last update hits and they see how much life support is needed to give the game the image that Vana'diel is still alive and thriving to the waning player base. Business dictates a need for some players to move servers during this time frame, so that generates the desire to pay the $18 fee on top of the $12.95 and mule fee to hop over to somewhere such as Asura. If even 20 players do this during now and November, SE stands to make $619 in profit off those players. If a merge was provided free of charge, SE would lose potential sales, as there could easily be twice as many people doing transfers, or maybe even five times as many.

Likewise, if they really did come out and claim their longest supported title is going to be shut down, it would severely hurt their image, which is very important in Japanese culture. That is part of the divide here, we're not discussing EA or some other MURIKA giant of gaming, we're talking about a company deep in a culture about pride and honor. By announcing in advance they're ending PS2 and 360 support, and explaining they forfeit the dev tools in that process, it makes the situation seem more understandable to the consumer. SE also is giving the PC client freely now so console players can migrate at any time to keep playing.

SE is playing the tricky game of businessman and PR, which is a very delicate dance. On one hand, it's clear many adventurers will be forced into retirement with the announcement, since nothing truly lasts forever, but on the other hand, they genuinely want to keep the game alive and are using those other projects to keep the spirit going. This generates publicity for those games, and with XI on life support, will have people interested to see what they can offer. If XI still had support, those titles would likely not have nostalgia starved XI vets giving them the support SE hopes to give em.

Source - I sold something in Jita on EVE Online, so totally a business expert. If that doesn't count, I bazaar in Lower Jeuno?

okay, so how could they have said that they are ending major content updates in a way that would convince you they do not want to kill off their subs? or do you really believe that the end of major updates implies they want subs to end?

you could say it's because players will run out of things to do but we dont even know what content we'll have in nov lol. for example some have discussed endlessly generated content similar to an endless incursion.
 Bismarck.Branden
Server: Bismarck
user: Branden
By Bismarck.Branden 2015-04-04 19:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

To summarize the catch-22 that Matsui said: We'd like to keep major version updates going but we need more revenue. To get more revenue we need to modernize the game and make the gameplay faster, but to modernize the game we need to upgrade from the PS2 game engine. However, we need more revenue to do this.

Basically, if they realized that moving away from the PS2 engine needed to happen when they actually had the revenue to afford to do so they could have secured the longevity of the game far longer than where we're at now.. They should have made Seekers PC only

I also lol'd when he said that they wanted to focus on keeping the current playerbase after seekers was released when this is when they had a mass exodus from their REM misstep..