Pchan, I missed you.
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-23 11:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Best job in the game? The one that you have fun playing.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I don't disagree with you. It's just the playerbase for this game is so HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, it doesn't really matter if you can outperform others on the job you have fun on if the job you have fun on isn't one of the "right" jobs.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-03-23 11:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

pchan said: »
Now that FFXI won't evolve what are the best and worst jobs of all times in FFXI ? Here is my opinion

BEST

#1 WHM : required for nearly everything exp parties even when RDMs were "kings", and now much greater than RDM. DNC, SCH or ... PUP never could compete and always were compared to WHM in a negative way ("it's cool but it can't do this that WHM can" kinds of comparison).
#2 MNK : uncontested DD for nearly every situation. The only DD that is equivalent is WAR and the only thing WAR can do beside monk is provoke which would never be used even at low levels. Can tank and DD. Most DDs have always been gimp compared to those except maybe relic DRK back at 75. SAM has always been overrated mostly due to auto capping weapon skills stats. Used to be optimal in low man engame (from limbus, dynamis, salvage to abyssea, and adoulin).
#3 BRD : the only buffer of the game. The others are good only when there is a bard which makes them pointless nearly all of the time. It's the first in its category though overall it's not really needed for low man endgame, just makes it ton faster.

THIS +1000

(If you quit the game during abyssea that is...)
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-23 12:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll play..

As a DRG main.. I can unfortunately agree with you that DRG is one of the worst jobs in FFXI history. It has been poorly designed from the start. (I still love it and main it)

List for me would be:

WHM, SAM, BRD = Best

PUP, DRG, NIN = Worst

I can't put MNK > SAM when back in the day MNKs suffered from the same thing DRG suffered from and filled a very similar role. You know the role.. sitting outside of the party playing patty cake with his DRG LS-mate, each one waiting for CDs on Chi-Blast and Angon respectively.

SAM has consistently been a/the top DD since its inception, MNK hasn't.

Added NIN to the bad list because lets face it.. Ninja has never had the defined role that it was intended to. It was supposed to be a light DD that did damage over time and enfeebling. We turned it into a tank and it had a good run for a while, but once the NIN tank fad stopped, it lost its place in the world. It was again important for VW and Abyssea but quickly fell out of favor once those eras ended.

I would say BLM is a runner up for best and DNC is runner up for worst.

BLM, pre-adoulin, was one of the most important jobs for all high lvl content unless you were zerging. It was extremely necessary for VW and Abyssea and recently has come back into favor.

DNC, despite being a very fun and versatile job that can fill many roles, has never had a true place in any content. Judging the job by itself, it should be one of the BEST, but because it is a jack-of-all trades, master of none, it really didn't excel enough to fill certain party slots that could be occupied by more specific roles. I love DNC, its one of my favorite jobs and it was extremely well balanced.. but everything it could do other jobs can do better. Sure, its nice to have some DPS that can cure, or a DPS off-tank that can cure them selves. Its nice to have the debuffs DNC provides while also doing damage. the problem is, you can fill that role with someone who specializes in what you need, damage, cures, debuffs, and it is normally a more optimal choice. DNCs certainly have their place in the game now, but they should in all fairness be considered a weaker job when it comes to FFXI history.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-23 12:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Best job in game is scholar
great debuffing
great healing
great nuking
great soloing
great buffing

I considered this, but I decided that throughout the "History" of FFXI, other jobs filled SCH's roles better. I would have to say that right now though, SCH can fill the role of any one of the jobs that Cure, Nuke or Debuff for modern content as well or better than any of them.
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2015-03-23 12:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD
WHM
SAM
MNK
GEO
COR
Rest, because who cares.
[+]
By Giaden 2015-03-23 12:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of the best jobs are dependent on what era of ffxi we are talking about.
Mnk being a great job overall, still wasn't always this way. It has been a up and down job and now days its not that "great".
Sam, as everyone knows, has always had a place in SEs heart. That job typically has always been a top tier DD job of all time for the game.
Brd and Whm are a constant, with the newly add Geo, it just makes everything that much easier.

As much as I lolpup, its still a great job once people know how to play it and gear it properly. But for the most part, any job in the game can be one of the greats if people put some serious effort into it. Some jobs will always out Dps others but dps isn't everything.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-03-23 12:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
DNC, despite being a very fun and versatile job that can fill many roles, has never had a true place in any content. Judging the job by itself, it should be one of the BEST, but because it is a jack-of-all trades, master of none, it really didn't excel enough to fill certain party slots that could be occupied by more specific roles. I love DNC, its one of my favorite jobs and it was extremely well balanced.. but everything it could do other jobs can do better. Sure, its nice to have some DPS that can cure, or a DPS off-tank that can cure them selves. Its nice to have the debuffs DNC provides while also doing damage. the problem is, you can fill that role with someone who specializes in what you need, damage, cures, debuffs, and it is normally a more optimal choice. DNCs certainly have their place in the game now, but they should in all fairness be considered a weaker job when it comes to FFXI history.

That's why i love DNC and RDM, multi purpose job, can do anything.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-03-23 12:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The list of jobs should also include "Troll", "Elitist", "Veteran" and "Noob". Many people would probably find themselves favoring one of these more than the other jobs IG.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-23 15:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said: »
The list of jobs should also include "Troll", "Elitist", "Veteran" and "Noob". Many people would probably find themselves favoring one of these more than the other jobs IG.

If by those you mean "Troll", "Person who has great gear and no idea how to use it", "Person who has great gear and knows how to use it", and "Person who has neither great gear nor would they know how to use it were they to get it", I agree.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-23 15:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Or we could just use "Average Asuran" instead of "Elitist".
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-23 15:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone remember when... "lol fukn nub smn r heelrz lolololllol!" So every SMN was forced to be a healer with (sometimes without) free Carby because they had high MP and Cure 2 as SMN/WHM. I always hated that.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-03-23 15:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, in all fairness, summoner was absolutely worthless otherwise. And maximum MP meant much more than your ability to recover it, at the time(which of course was a player issue, not a structural one).
[+]
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-23 15:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone remember when... "lol fukn nub smn r heelrz lolololllol!" So every SMN was forced to be a healer with (sometimes without) free Carby because they had high MP and Cure 2 as SMN/WHM. I always hated that.

I remember, that's why from level 51 to 75 I solo'd and duo'd bombs and snolls in Ifirt's and Uleguerand.
I'd partied for a total of maybe 4 or 5 levels, most of my merits came from Flaming Crushing Goldfish in Sea.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-23 15:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
I mean, in all fairness, summoner was absolutely worthless otherwise. And maximum MP meant much more than your ability to recover it, at the time(which of course was a player issue, not a structural one).
It seemed like SMN would've been better if geared to DD. To be quite honest I only got to see one DD a couple times when the SMN brought a 75 WHM to heal from outside.

Bahamut.Shirai said: »

I remember, that's why from level 51 to 75 I solo'd and duo'd bombs and snolls in Ifirt's and Uleguerand.
I'd partied for a total of maybe 4 or 5 levels, most of my merits came from Flaming Crushing Goldfish in Sea.
I quit SMN at like 22 because I didn't like the weak heals I was putting out.

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-23 15:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Summoner just didn't have the gear options to make dding viable, imagine if you took away all of warriors str attack acc haste gear back then.
I don't think there WAS any Haste gear back then with the exception of Byakko's Haidate. I'm talking pre-CoP.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-23 15:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM is and has always been king.

Does that make it the best job?

Yes.

My Fav however was always BLU.............. just cos!
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-23 16:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

There was, but it wasn't exactly easy to come by.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-23 16:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Summoner just didn't have the gear options to make dding viable, imagine if you took away all of warriors str attack acc haste gear back then.
I don't think there WAS any Haste gear back then with the exception of Byakko's Haidate. I'm talking pre-CoP.

Blitz Ring :3

HQ Dusk Gloves / feet

Wyvern Earring for /DRG!!!! (I level'd WAR from 1-75 as /DRG with a pole arm)

Patroclus's Helm

Quick/Swift/Speed Belt

thats just stuff WAR can use.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-03-23 16:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM = worst job ever
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Seraph.Koroma
Server: Seraph
user: Koroma
By Seraph.Koroma 2015-03-23 16:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

HalfShirtMasterRace

[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-03-23 16:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My Selections IMO:

Best: SAM, MNK, WHM, BLM, SMN, PLD, DNC, DRG, THF (Before Rudra nerf lol), DRK, BRD.

Worst: COR, GEO, RUN, SCH, RDM, NIN, WAR, BLU, PUP.

(Offtopic: SE should have added Mime, what w/e lol)
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-23 16:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

protectorchrono said: »
My Selections IMO:

Best: SAM, MNK, WHM, BLM, SMN, PLD, DNC, DRG, THF (Before Rudra nerf lol), DRK, BRD.

Worst: COR, GEO, RUN, SCH, RDM, NIN, WAR, BLU, PUP.

(Offtopic: SE should have added Mime, what w/e lol)

BLU as worst?

You sir........... uhg!

How can you not love how the job works?! that and it could crush Most DPS at this stage of the game.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-23 16:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said: »

I would like to think I fit Troll.

Post deleted by User.
[+]