Forum » FFXI » General » Best/worst jobs after 13 years
Best/worst jobs after 13 years
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-03-23 20:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

While SMN was never top-tier, it was quite a strong job for HNMs and such at 75-cap.

Beyond that, we have abyssea, which made the strength of jobs less about the strength, and more about who has the most procs.

Then we have voidwatch, this event is the only alliance event that put smn in bottom tier. Well, atleast when they introduced the ridiculous temp items that became easily refreshable. The first installation of VW was quite tough, and SMN served as a decent damage dealer if I recall.

Then came legion and new dynamis, and we all know what became of SMN at that point, for the better part of it. It became very useful, but kinda for bad reasons.

Then we come to Adoulin, I quit around this time so how SMN fared here dealing with early delve, I wouldn't really know. We come to the point where it is now though, and from what I've seen it is quite a powerful job.

Anyway, point is, while it's never been top-tier (not sure if that has changed at this point), it's not been ****-tier for the most part, either. Well, I guess it was for single-party events, but eh.
By Cleric 2015-03-23 21:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Shirai said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
Bahamut.Shirai said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
Didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone remember when... "lol fukn nub smn r heelrz lolololllol!" So every SMN was forced to be a healer with (sometimes without) free Carby because they had high MP and Cure 2 as SMN/WHM. I always hated that.

I remember, that's why from level 51 to 75 I solo'd and duo'd bombs and snolls in Ifirt's and Uleguerand.
I'd partied for a total of maybe 4 or 5 levels, most of my merits came from Flaming Crushing Goldfish in Sea.
I quit SMN at like 22 because I didn't like the weak heals I was putting out.

I was a patient, patient man.
I solo'd SMN from 50-75, longest 8 months of my life @.@

It was worth it though. Even though I have quit the game, I know every single bomb pop in Ifrit's Cauldron cause of that. Probably made a close 10 mil from coffer chests (before they nerfed it that is).

Oh my god this. I still, to this day, know my way around the Cauldron like the back of my hand. I probably made about the same, if not more, as you did (because I mined as well)
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-03-23 23:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The best jobs are the support jobs. They are the biggest source of damage in an alliance, due to giving massive acc, atk, and haste buffs.
 Sylph.Namonaki
Server: Sylph
user: Namonaki
By Sylph.Namonaki 2015-03-23 23:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are people shitting on GEO?
Is it the bottle cap hat?
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-03-24 01:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM/DNC

Good DD
Great Heals
Stun ***
Afflatus Solace
Afflatus Misery
Hexastrike
Laughs in the face of Silence and Amnesia (only one at a time though)
[+]
 Asura.Celoria
user: celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-03-24 02:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Echo drops and Ecphoria Ring
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-03-27 13:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The best job is one played by a competent player with sufficient gear to successfully complete the task in front of them.

I don't care if you're a PUP, if you're good, you're good.

Most of what I have seen listed here consists of jobs that people consider essential. Do WHM, BRD, COR, and GEO help? Hell yes. Would I prefer to have one or more in an ilvl event I wished to complete? Yes.

The difference here, though, is that a lot of players won't deviate from the cookie-cutter bandwagon-job-of-the-moment and let others demonstrate their proficiency in their job of choice.

I main RDM and RUN. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, I don't care. :D

Do I consider those jobs the best? Depends on circumstances. More consider GEO to be the master of debuffs, mainly because of game mechanics that make geomancy bubbles unresistable. That definitely helps, but RDM can do things a GEO can't do. Just like GEO can do stuff RDMs can't do.

RUN is definitely awesome for getting people random clears in Abyssea. Yeah, that may be inconsequential to YOU, but it certainly makes the new or returning player who needs that clear very happy. It's arguable whether a decently geared PLD vs a decently geared RUN is the better tank, IMO- against a single target, they're equal, but against a group it takes a very skilled/geared RUN to match a paladin.

All that said, there really is no "best". The best job is the one you play best.
 Odin.Shaggnix
Server: Odin
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2015-03-27 14:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
DP is amazing.

This quote must be preserved for all time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-27 14:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Shaggnix said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
DP is amazing.

This quote must be preserved for all time.
 Odin.Shaggnix
Server: Odin
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2015-03-27 14:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget, for a few months drg was the uncontested top DD, spamming Penta Thrust and getting ~60tp returns. I know a lot of people don't like to think about those dark times......
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2015-03-27 14:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

like those people who thinkg "front line jobs suck for that!" when it comes to things like WoE, and even vagary, everything is up for opinion. when it comes to actual field experience with players that play their jobs according to what players/jobs theyre with, youll find that opinions of any matter are subject to ones ability. a dd support and a healer is FAR better and faster than 3 pet jobs in those zones, when all three are performing as they should. so when thinking about which jobs are the "best", using your opinion based on completely irrelevant info, and/or based on horrible performance of jobs that should be supporting said job, please consider that there is no best job, but rather, good/bad players playing good/bad jobs with/without good/bad support.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2015-03-27 14:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Why you not talking about my Apoc DRK? Best DPS ever.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2015-03-27 14:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
pchan said: »
Now that FFXI won't evolve what are the best and worst jobs of all times in FFXI ? Here is my opinion

BEST

#1 WHM : required for nearly everything exp parties even when RDMs were "kings", and now much greater than RDM. DNC, SCH or ... PUP never could compete and always were compared to WHM in a negative way ("it's cool but it can't do this that WHM can" kinds of comparison).
#2 MNK : uncontested DD for nearly every situation. The only DD that is equivalent is WAR and the only thing WAR can do beside monk is provoke which would never be used even at low levels. Can tank and DD. Most DDs have always been gimp compared to those except maybe relic DRK back at 75. SAM has always been overrated mostly due to auto capping weapon skills stats. Used to be optimal in low man engame (from limbus, dynamis, salvage to abyssea, and adoulin).
#3 BRD : the only buffer of the game. The others are good only when there is a bard which makes them pointless nearly all of the time. It's the first in its category though overall it's not really needed for low man endgame, just makes it ton faster.

WORST

PUP - uncontested. Can't DD for ***even with optimal gear. Used to be unable to hit exp mobs with sushis. BST and SMN seem to do better as pet jobs.
DRG - is it even good at something ?
DNC - what was the point again ?

JOB Failures : PLD (can't tank with DDs), Rune Fencer (wtf job).

If you had just posted what jobs you thought were bad without the un-needed HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE banter I would have let it slide.

But you are a *** moron, and obviously don't know enough about this game to be forming an opinion about it.

There is no reasoning with a pig.
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2015-03-27 14:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I understood that reference.