2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 137 138 139
By Ulthakptah 2016-06-09 17:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Feary said: »
As im understanding hte previous posts, the TP sets in this guide isnt what we would tank in on higher content. Since given the changes to enmity, what would we use? an enmity gearset?
The Damage Mitigation Sets. No point in keeping hate if you are just going to die with it. The enmity sets you just macro in for things like provoke and flash.

Blazed1979 said: »
too lazy to read all the back and forth - what changes to enmity resulted in a change to how tanks approach tanking?
have the ABCs changed?
- Pump out as much dmg as you can
- Cast your enmity spells in capped fastcast/enmity
- voke in enmity
- don't fall flat on your face

The only thing that really changed is melees deal a lot more damage now and are harder to keep hate from in certain fights where it says the mobs are a higher level but just have higher abilities and are still 99.

Magic jobs don't seem to have the same problem. If I'm guessing the reason being that enmity from spells is similar to enmity from magic weaponskills in that the amount gained is based on the damage before all the multipliers.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-09 17:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno about that, but magic bursts are known to generate reduced enmity.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-06-09 17:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Point of damage to point of CE/VE, physical damage and magical damage are exactly the same. Magical WS are an exception for the reason that you noted.

The reason Mage setups seem different is because magic bursts generate reduced enmity. Apparently greatly reduced, although no one has quantified it yet.
[+]
 Fenrir.Loynis
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2016-06-09 17:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

My understanding of the sets used is first capped DT and good sources of HP+. After those two I think people go with personal preferences such as accuracy or cure potency received.

The enmity changes only negatively affect pre SoA content and anything that has a level of 99, like the HTBFs. Above 100 mechanics work as normal. Although with how stat scaling works on high level mobs you are likely to have accuracy issues, although that's easy to overcome enmity wise.
By Ulthakptah 2016-06-09 18:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Point of damage to point of CE/VE, physical damage and magical damage are exactly the same. Magical WS are an exception for the reason that you noted.

The reason Mage setups seem different is because magic bursts generate reduced enmity. Apparently greatly reduced, although no one has quantified it yet.
https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/105852-Wildfire-enmity-testing?p=5638760&viewfull=1#post5638760

Well I just checked the source of the magic weaponskill enmity tests on bg wiki and found this. He didn't post again in that thread so I don't know the results or if he even did the test. So as far as I know magic enmity hasn't been tested to the same degree as magical weaponskills.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-09 18:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

His anecdotal statement runs counter to what you're implying, ie he asserts that magic damage likely does not follow magic ws enmity rules. We also know that magic enmity generation paralleled physical enmity at the time of Kaeko's testing, and I'm unaware of any reasons to believe that has changed in the years hence aside from the explicitly stated reduction on MBs.

Anecdotally, I am also inclined to believe that non-MB nuke enmity follows conventional formulae.
By Blazed1979 2016-06-09 19:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldn't scaling tanks HP+ and cure potency partially resolve this?
Enmity loss from dmg was based on base hp% loss right?
I don't know, the last time I looked into any of this was 2008sh?
Just noticed (and it vexes me) that all upward scaling has ignored tank's HP and it remains at 75 base.
By Ulthakptah 2016-06-09 19:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

His anecdotal statement is just that: anecdotal. Besides it wasn't until recently that so much magic attack bonus was available on gear. Not to mention most tests tend to be done naked to make them easier to repeat. It's very unlikely that deviation in enmity from multipliers like Magic Attack Bonus, Day/Weather Bonus, Staff Bonus, or Magic Affinity would have been observed unless they were specifically looking for it which they wouldn't have because the tests were done before dasva found out about the difference in magical weaponskills.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-06-09 19:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
wouldn't scaling tanks HP+ and cure potency partially resolve this?
Enmity loss from dmg was based on base hp% loss right?

In older/more-trivial content, loss of hate isn't so much to do with your damage taken (because you generally take far less damage than say something 119+ will do to you) as it is that enmity cap exists and the enmity formulas have it very attainable in things like High Tier Battlefields.

The difference in enmity between 99 and 119 (mostly related to melee dps) is absolutely absurd. I can effortlessly hold off Afterglow Mythic melees doing massive DPS with fury/frailty in Reisenjima or, say, last month's Ambuscade (merely chose this example because you had to toss some enmity at the secondary target as well), but if we go to Tenzen, there's a fair chance you'll be tanking it before the end of the fight. This month's Ambuscade doesn't count because the other mobs are slept anyway, holding hate is cake. (Sentinel, Warcry, Rampart, curekit, and toss vokes/flashes around if you want to)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-06-09 21:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
His anecdotal statement is just that: anecdotal. Besides it wasn't until recently that so much magic attack bonus was available on gear. Not to mention most tests tend to be done naked to make them easier to repeat. It's very unlikely that deviation in enmity from multipliers like Magic Attack Bonus, Day/Weather Bonus, Staff Bonus, or Magic Affinity would have been observed unless they were specifically looking for it which they wouldn't have because the tests were done before dasva found out about the difference in magical weaponskills.
Anecdotal, but reasonable and probably right.

Did a little test.

Used two nukes on lvl 100 Blanched Mandies.
one nuke had BOG+Ecliptic Acumen, the other didn't. No enmity +/- gear/merits.

Blizzard V: DMG 3435, CE 817
BLizzard V(Acumen) DMG 4884, CE 1164(this is +/- 20CE or so)

So, with the sole difference between the two being MAB, a 42%~ dmg increase resulted in a 42%~ CE increase. Pretty clearly, damage from MAB counts towards enmity.

Now, this doesn't prove that Physical and Magical enmity modifiers are the same. But it does show that magic damage doesn't use the same mechanic as Magical WS.

At this point, there's exceedingly little reason to think the magic dmg enmity modifier differs from the physical one.

But you're always welcome to test and quantify both of them. could use some updated values anyway.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
Server: Carbuncle
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-06-13 01:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A slightly edited repost of my post over on BG...

Finished my Srivatsa and was looking at optimal sets to test it. As I can't afford to spend all the billions in the world for why-oh-why-so-random dark matter augments to try to get block+ pieces, it looks like the shield will have limited use for now.

My question would be: is there any new information/gear that has changed anything regarding the use of the shield in the last months? Are there any tests I could do to help gather more information on it?
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2016-06-14 02:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you all for the replies,

it seems that i will need to move to my DT/ACC turtle set. which just has been updated from yorium/DT to sulevia +1. this should hold me over until i can uncurse my Voodoo Sovereign set.

BTW why does the requiescat set say emicho?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-06-14 18:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq said: »
A slightly edited repost of my post over on BG...

Finished my Srivatsa and was looking at optimal sets to test it. As I can't afford to spend all the billions in the world for why-oh-why-so-random dark matter augments to try to get block+ pieces, it looks like the shield will have limited use for now.

My question would be: is there any new information/gear that has changed anything regarding the use of the shield in the last months? Are there any tests I could do to help gather more information on it?
A friend of mine did some testing(which I was going to post for them, but haven't got around to) that indicates that block+ and reprisal interaction follows formula #2. Which is a bit of a slap to block+ gear, and reduces the max block rate Srivatsa can attain by a significant chunk.

But, since you weren't going to do Dark Matter augs(a wise decision, all in all) this doesn't really change much for you.

There has been one small test of the block rate/dmg reduction on a JP blog. There was a post on BG linking it with a very basic summary. I forget the details but there weren't any startling revelations.

Some people seem to expect Srivatsa to have some kind of hidden effect to justify it's existence, but I feel like SE is more or less past that kinda thing. They've been very transparent in a lot of aspects in recent years.

And there's also the matter of what to test. Block rate and dmg- of course. But there's already been a preliminary test with results of no particular note. I guess you could check if that DT is cap breaking or something. But I really think that they woulda labeled it DT II if that was the case.

IF you do make any interesting discoveries, do tell.
[+]
 Asura.Lukee
Server: Asura
By Asura.Lukee 2016-06-20 11:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

A question on spell interruption rate. When they changed the Aquaveil effect, did they introduce a cap to spell interrupt rate down?

Reason I ask is that PLD can get quite far over the 102% I seem to remember us needing to 'cap'. Could see this being more useful than FC in certain situations.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-06-20 11:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lukee said: »
A question on spell interruption rate. When they changed the Aquaveil effect, did they introduce a cap to spell interrupt rate down?

Reason I ask is that PLD can get quite far over the 102% I seem to remember us needing to 'cap'. Could see this being more useful than FC in certain situations.
The spell interruption cap is still 102% and has been since, well, forever. When they changed aquaveil it just became harder to hit that cap due to a lack of SIRD gear at the time. Pissed of a lot of RDM tanks back in the day. (Previously aquaveil added 20% SIRD which was additive with gear and merits)

Spell interruption- is checked on hit. Meaning when you get hit by a mob.

Fastcast's casting time reduction is applied when you start casting. There's no reason you can't use full fast cast gear in precast, then SIRD in midcast. (unless you were referring to the recast reduction from fast cast? That would be midcast)

The issue here is that you tend to lose potency for what ever you're casting, since the SIRD gear takes up slot during midcast that you'd usually to to increase spell potency(cure potency, enmity+ etc.)

So you can cast without interruption, but it tends to gimp your spells.
[+]
 Asura.Lukee
Server: Asura
By Asura.Lukee 2016-06-20 12:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lukee said: »

The spell interruption cap is still 102% and has been since, well, forever. When they changed aquaveil it just became harder to hit that cap due to a lack of SIRD gear at the time. Pissed of a lot of RDM tanks back in the day. (Previously aquaveil added 20% SIRD which was additive with gear and merits)

Spell interruption- is checked on hit. Meaning when you get hit by a mob.

Fastcast's casting time reduction is applied when you start casting. There's no reason you can't use full fast cast gear in precast, then SIRD in midcast. (unless you were referring to the recast reduction from fast cast? That would be midcast)

The issue here is that you tend to lose potency for what ever you're casting, since the SIRD gear takes up slot during midcast that you'd usually to to increase spell potency(cure potency, enmity+ etc.)

So you can cast without interruption, but it tends to gimp your spells.

Well explained, good shout. My thinking was coming from trying it in the Spellcast era where pre-/mid- cast switching wasn't totally reliable.
Might see what I can work into some extra sets, still have neck/ear1/body/hands/rings/back available with SIRD gear on. Cheers.
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2016-06-20 14:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people seem to expect Srivatsa to have some kind of hidden effect to justify it's existence, but I feel like SE is more or less past that kinda thing. They've been very transparent in a lot of aspects in recent years.

And there's also the matter of what to test. Block rate and dmg- of course. But there's already been a preliminary test with results of no particular note. I guess you could check if that DT is cap breaking or something. But I really think that they woulda labeled it DT II if that was the case.

IF you do make any interesting discoveries, do tell.

Sorry, I was out for the last days and just read your answer. Thank you very much for the detailed reply and information!

It is a bummer to know it acts as "formula #2", but at the same time it is kind of a relief not having to spend all of somebody lifetime's gil on dark matter and at the end not getting anything useful. Personally, I was kinda waiting for SE to "fix" or release some more relevant gear but I guess I'll have to live with what the shield is, and only very ocassionally use it.

I will share any discovery either way.

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Jeffil
Server: Cerberus
user: Zelljrc
By Cerberus.Jeffil 2016-06-23 14:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I finished upgrading my Burtgang to AG yesterday and have done a bunch with it so far, including dual wielding it with Almace offhand and building an Aftermath Level 3 set.

From the guide, it appears Store TP is the best option for TPing in while aftermath level 3 is up. I assume this is still true.

So I built the following TP set to put in while aftermath is active.

ItemSet 344410

The ultimate goal is to have the valorous mask, odyssean gauntlets, and valorous hose have as much Store TP as I can get on them along with solid attack, accuracy, and str/dex (it will take more stones to optimize these but they are off to a decent start so far). The Odyssean chestplate has acc+29, att+11, dex+5, and double attack +5 (and it also has Store TP+5 on it already. The Loyalist sabatons have max augments which includes Haste +3% to cap gear haste.

EDIT: The Rudianos's Mantle is dex+20, att/acc+20, crit rate+10% right now, but I want to build a 2nd one with Store TP+10 instead.

I know Valorous gauntlets would probably be better than Odyssean Gauntlets, but I only have one pair and they have crit rate +4% for CDC.

What do you think?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-06-23 16:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odyssean legs over Valorous.

They have 5 stp and 2% DA base, and can get +8 more STP with fern stones. And have 15 acc base. Way better AM3 TP legs.

Valorous feet. Pretty much same deal. 5 STP base, and up to +8 more with Fern stones.

You'll need to make up the Haste loss by changing the waist, but it's an easily worthwhile trade. If acc isn't an issue, you can just go go goading belt, for no stp loss. Small DA loss, but frankly, DA doesn't mean much with AM3 up.

If you do need the acc, well, eat the -5 stp loss on waist for the potential +13 stp the feet can offer. Use dynamic or another acc/haste belt. And if you're lucky, you could get a good acc aug on top of the +12 acc v. feet have already.

Also, your current Odyssean body Augs make for nice non-AM3 TP, but again, that DA doesn't mean much with AM3 up. DA is still a DPS gain, but its much smaller than without AM3. I'd get another body, and aim for STP/Acc augs.

If you're looking at high acc sets, you'd be better off using a Valorous body though. Has +20 acc base, and only 2 less STP. pretty significant headstart on acc. Oh, and V body has 25 dex, Odyssean has 17. additional 6 acc difference from dex. Also makes V body a better base for a CDC body than Odyssean.

Valorous hands: the solution there is to get some more Valorous hands.

Also, brutal to Telos, if possible. I feel like Tripudio would be better than brutal here as well, but I'd have to check to be certain. Dignatary's is also a good acc/stp option. Or there's Dedition earring if you can stomach -10 acc/atk for +8 stp.

And finally, if there's any need for acc, Combatant's Torque. Although farming the thing can be hell.

Have fun trying to get +8 stp augment along with decent acc/atk augs. XD
[+]
 Cerberus.Jeffil
Server: Cerberus
user: Zelljrc
By Cerberus.Jeffil 2016-06-24 04:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't believe I missed that Odyssean Cuisses have Store TP on them already given how many Belphegors I have killed for stones.

I only had 7 pairs on me :)

I augmented one pair and got att+28, acc+15, Store TP +5 to start out with.

I got Valorous Mitts this morning and while augmenting them for Store TP (whih they have +3 atm), I got a superior WS augment of acc+33, att+38, and crit damage +3%, which I chose to keep over acc+26, att+11, crit rate +4%.

We don't do a whole lot of T3s in our LS but when we do I will try to get another Odyssean or Valorous Body for store TP purposes.

If I ever do get Valorous Feet I will add them in and switch to another waist. For the time being though, Kentarch +1 and the Sabatons are working pretty well.

Just got to build that Rudianos's Mantle for Store TP next.

Thanks for your help Martel!
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-07-05 01:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 336878
+ https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Stikini_Ring_%2B1
New accu tier on enlight!
Divine Skill 567/560, 139 Acc (maybe we can remove templar sabaton atm)

ItemSet 315987
and midcast for magic set
+ https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Staunch_Tathlum_%2B1
Staunch Tathlum +1
 Lakshmi.Niico
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kido
By Lakshmi.Niico 2016-07-06 01:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Akivatoo said: »
ItemSet 336878
+ https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Stikini_Ring_%2B1
New accu tier on enlight!
Divine Skill 567/560, 139 Acc (maybe we can remove templar sabaton atm)

ItemSet 315987
and midcast for magic set
+ https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Staunch_Tathlum_%2B1
Staunch Tathlum +1

I'm confused. Pld base divine is 404 +16 with merits, +111 with the gearset listed = 531 =/= 567. What am I mising? lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-07-06 01:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

+36 from gifts
 Lakshmi.Niico
By Lakshmi.Niico 2016-07-06 01:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aha, that would be it, thank you.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-07-06 01:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah and with Nq ring you only need +2 divine augment on kaiser legs
 Lakshmi.Niico
By Lakshmi.Niico 2016-07-11 04:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Got these two this morning from the dark matter campaign. A few questions:

1. Are these even worth wearing?
2. Are +block augs fairly common now? 2/6 seems like a lot.
3. I saw post with +10, and Martel saying it's equivalent of 47 shield skill. Am I to believe these combined pieces are the same? Or is it on some kind of weird curve?
By Blazed1979 2016-07-11 05:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

dude change your windows background color.
By FaeQueenCory 2016-07-11 06:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

+4+6=+10 yes.

That being said, they both are kinda "bleh".
If you really want to use them, just make sure you're still in 50%DT is all and you should be fine....
They just could be better. (I'm talking about everything else, not the shield block rate.)
By Verda 2016-08-01 13:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a way to cap both DT and spell interupt in the same set?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-08-01 20:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Is there a way to cap both DT and spell interupt in the same set?
Guardian Earring!

But on a more serious note. Here's what I'm aware of being available to pld.

10 10 00 11
20 05 08 09
00 15 00 05
00 10 30 20

Total Available 153

10 Mage Blade...
10 Muse Tariqah...
11 Staunch Tathlum +1
20 Souv. Schaller +1
5 Willpower Torque
8 Magnetic Earring
9 Knightly Earring
15 Eschite Gauntlets (path c)
5 Evanescence Ring
10 Rumination Sash
30 Founder's Hose
20 Odyssean Greaves

Obviously, drop the weapon and shield first. No one has a magnetic earring so drop that, and willpower torque since you can get 6dt in that slot. After that point perhaps drop the gloves? That or the Knightly earring and Evanescence Ring. It's hard to drop much of anything else and stay over.

That'd leave you with 105. Note you do need a bit over 100% for it to actually work. I think 102 or 104. I don't recall which since it's been a damned long time since I cared about spell interrupt. There are WAY more augs and crap for PDT MDT and DT so I'll leave you to fill in the blanks and see if you can cap.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 137 138 139