~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 137 138 139
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-03-14 14:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I vaguely remember reading earlier in this thread that Phalanx capped at 50 damage reduction. Guessing that's not true?
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-14 14:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
I vaguely remember reading earlier in this thread that Phalanx capped at 50 damage reduction. Guessing that's not true?
iirc, it was untested speculation.

Someone with a 50+ phalanx set should be able to confirm/deny pretty easily. My accounts aren't active at the moment though, so it won't be me.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Server: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-03-17 18:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

can you test it on pampa with 1K needels ?
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-03-17 18:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

1000 needles would be the ideal method of testing, yes. Just make sure you're not wearing any PDT or DT gear.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-03-18 11:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

naked with 55/60 phalanx
By Hammel 2016-03-19 15:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, quick question. I've started buying a substantial amount of alexandrite towards making a Burtgang and now have the urge to do a REM for another job instead. My question is: is a Burtgang a necessity for t3/4 reisenjima stuff? Or will I be really holding my group back by not having one? Or will Excalibur be sufficient? I know Burtgang is obviously the superior choice, just wanted to see the necessity of it for the highest level fights. Thanks!
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Evildemon 2016-03-19 18:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hammel said: »
Hey all, quick question. I've started buying a substantial amount of alexandrite towards making a Burtgang and now have the urge to do a REM for another job instead. My question is: is a Burtgang a necessity for t3/4 reisenjima stuff? Or will I be really holding my group back by not having one? Or will Excalibur be sufficient? I know Burtgang is obviously the superior choice, just wanted to see the necessity of it for the highest level fights. Thanks!

If you have high enough hp it shouldn't completely wreck you. But I'm finishing my burtgang because in the grand scheme of things if that 18% on a tougher mob can make the difference I would rather have it. And believe me I love my excal it's probably my favorite relic hence why it's the first one I'm upgrading to glow.

What it really comes down to if you are serious about paladin and call that a main for you. You should make it. However with that being said to each there own it's character you play how you would like.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-03-19 18:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Burtgang will have far more impact on your performance in high level content than anything else you could use in that slot. If you care about the job and want to use it on high level content, make a Burt. If you don't and someone else does, guess who's probably going PLD?
[+]
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Evildemon 2016-03-19 19:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Burtgang will have far more impact on your performance in high level content than anything else you could use in that slot. If you care about the job and want to use it on high level content, make a Burt. If you don't and someone else does, guess who's probably going PLD?

Hence why I'm building one.
 Ragnarok.Mrpresident
By Ragnarok.Mrpresident 2016-03-21 09:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about Souveran set and gearswap. From what I can tell, one massive benefit of this armor is the added HP. I haven't started building a +1 set, but even with NQ each piece can have 50~150 more HP added than some of the equipment I gearswap in for re-casting buffs, etc.

I was thinking I might set variables in gearswap to lock certain slots during more difficult content to keep my HP high. It seems counterproductive to drop a potential 300HP every time I cast flash. Is the sacrifice in HP worth the added enmity/spell potency for these gearswaps?

TL/DR - I think the real question I have here is this; Are these gearswaps that allow for max potency spells or buffs worth using because of the trade-off of making you more vulnerable? HP differences being more of a concern, because unlike other stats, current HP still takes a hit after re-equiping previous gear.

Thanks in advance guys!
 Odin.Brocovich
user: Brocovich
By Odin.Brocovich 2016-03-21 10:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 2 sets for almost every action to deal with this problem. if my HP are above 2400 my GS uses a set, where I don't lose too much maxHP gear. sucks to lose 30% fastcast just to keep your HP but I think its worth it for tanking highlevel stuff
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-21 18:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few ways to mitigate this issue.

Now, say your idle set has 2500 max HP, and your FC set has 2200. You're just kinda screwed there. you're gonna lose that 300 HP. (Well, you could pump in some HP+ on the spare slots in the FC set. <,<) However, it's entirely possibly that you're actually losing More HP than the difference between the fully equipped sets due to the equip order.

For example,(totally random number to illustrate the point, mind you.)

Idle head: 100 -> FC head 40 HP. -60 current HP loss.
then idle hands 40 HP -> FC hands 100 max HP +60.

Equipped in this order you lose 60 current HP. However if equipped in reverse there would have been no loss.

Basically, during swaps, you need to increase your max HP first, then do the swaps that drop it. This is of course, a huge pain in the ***. But it can help, depending on your sets.

Also, there's the option of equipping HP+ gear in the fastcast set. And sacrificing the lesser amounts of fastcast to lose less current HP. Of course, if you were already Idling in most of your HP+ gear, then this won't help much. But I've never been big on stacking HP, precisely because I'm just going to lose most it. And if I wanted to sit there and not swap gear, I'd have been playing 14. -.-;

Important note. Unless you specifically code other wise, the equip order in gearswap is static. The order you list the slots inside a set means Nothing.

the default equip order is described in the slots.lua located at Windower4\res\slots.lua. in the windower folder.
Code
return {
    [0] = {id=0,en="Main"},
    [1] = {id=1,en="Sub"},
    [2] = {id=2,en="Range"},
    [3] = {id=3,en="Ammo"},
    [4] = {id=4,en="Head"},
    [5] = {id=5,en="Body"},
    [6] = {id=6,en="Hands"},
    [7] = {id=7,en="Legs"},
    [8] = {id=8,en="Feet"},
    [9] = {id=9,en="Neck"},
    [10] = {id=10,en="Waist"},
    [11] = {id=11,en="Left Ear"},
    [12] = {id=12,en="Right Ear"},
    [13] = {id=13,en="Left Ring"},
    [14] = {id=14,en="Right Ring"},
    [15] = {id=15,en="Back"},
}, {"id", "en"}

Coding sets for priority is explained in the Advanced sets tables.txt found at Windower4\addons\GearSwap\beta_examples_and_information\Advanced sets tables.txt

As an example, my rather out of date fast cast set.
Code
sets.precast = {
		ammo="Incantor Stone", -- 0 HP
		head={name="Chev. Armet +1",priority=9}, --    +125 HP
		neck="Orunmila's Torque",--0 HP
		ear1="Loquacious Earring",--0 HP
		ear2={name="Etiolation Earring",priority=11},-- +50 HP
		body={name="Odyssean Chestplate",priority=-1},--+66 HP
		hands={name="Leyline Gloves",priority=7},--+25 HP
		ring1={name="Meridian Ring",priority=15},-- +90 HP
		ring2={name="Prolix Ring",priority=8},-- 0 HP
		back={name="Xucau Mantle",priority=14},-- +100 HP
		waist={name="Creed Baudrier",priority=13},-- +40 HP
		legs={name="Enif Cosciales",priority=10},--+40HP
		feet={ name="Odyssean Greaves", augments={'"Fast Cast"+3',priority=12}} }

The weird part here, is that the swaps for priority go in descending order. so the piece with priority 15 would swap first and the piece with 0(or -1, etc) would go last.

The other thing you have to consider is the hp values for gear in other sets. you can't base the priority purely of the current set alone. So what if Chevalier's head has +125 HP? If your Idle head has more than that, then it shouldn't go first. Need to swap elsewhere, then swap head when a sufficient current/max HP gap has built up.

You have to consider the changes going from idle to FC, then from FC to midcast. etc.

It's also useful to note, that you should Never be able to get hit in you precast set.(Provided the midcast set is a complete set that will swap you out of the precast pieces) So you can swap to whatever meets the HP/FC needs. It's the midcast phase where you have to consider the risk of being hit.

All this being said, it is a huuuge pain in the *** to consider all the factors. And it can't eliminate the max HP differences of entire sets.(of course, you can always tweak the sets...) But it does help.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Mrpresident
By Ragnarok.Mrpresident 2016-03-21 22:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I think I'll try a combination of both these suggestions, mitigate HP loss but also place a minimum HP safeguard of some kind. I see what your talking about with the order of the swaps, like being sure I have added an extra 100HP in a couple of other areas before switching a piece that would take a -100HP dip, and then also taking into account pre & mid-cast sets. I'll probably try to fill those extra slots where I don't have any potency+ with extra HP first, and then go about seeing how much I can change in other areas without taking too much of a hit. I don't expect it to be a perfect, but I could see this making a pretty big difference for higher content.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend some more time on gear builds and perfecting my swap file, which I strangely enjoy almost as much as actually playing the game. I don't want to divert conversation away from the purpose of this thread, but I second that thought about FFXIV, poo on the lack of depth & customization with gear sets. I'm still holding out for a re-make (of 14 to be more like 11) and refuse to let myself put too much hope into the up-coming mobile version of 11, my heart can't handle it.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-22 00:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Mrpresident said: »
Nice, thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I think I'll try a combination of both these suggestions, mitigate HP loss but also place a minimum HP safeguard of some kind. I see what your talking about with the order of the swaps, like being sure I have added an extra 100HP in a couple of other areas before switching a piece that would take a -100HP dip, and then also taking into account pre & mid-cast sets. I'll probably try to fill those extra slots where I don't have any potency+ with extra HP first, and then go about seeing how much I can change in other areas without taking too much of a hit. I don't expect it to be a perfect, but I could see this making a pretty big difference for higher content.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend some more time on gear builds and perfecting my swap file, which I strangely enjoy almost as much as actually playing the game. I don't want to divert conversation away from the purpose of this thread, but I second that thought about FFXIV, poo on the lack of depth & customization with gear sets. I'm still holding out for a re-make (of 14 to be more like 11) and refuse to let myself put too much hope into the up-coming mobile version of 11, my heart can't handle it.
That's the good stuff right there.

Getting everything perfect is a really awesome feeling. And the intricacy of coding spellcast XMLs, and now gearswap lua, added a ton of depth to the game for me. I mean, I learned to code entirely for it(didn't know a damn thing about it before.) Not to mention probably kept me playing this long in the first place.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-03-22 05:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i have the same issue between my pdt and fast cast set i loose 1k2 hp but i haven't any way to solve that without nerf my FC set
FC 2177HP:
PDT 3367 HP :
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2016-03-26 05:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Free login campaign! What's the best way to spend your first free day in Vana'diel? Shield block rate testing of course!

In all seriousness, my curiosity was piqued a few weeks ago when the block rate cap for non-Ochain shields was brought up again (an age-old question), so I decided to go out and do some testing to see if I could find any conclusive evidence of a block rate cap, and what I found was rather interesting to say the least.

I selected a low enough level of a target that I knew block rate had to have been capped on, based on our past data and testing, but high enough to prevent overlapping samples from too low damage hits.

Parse #1

Parse #2

In both parses, the block rate appears to cap off at 85%. Shield skill remains a constant 440 in both tests, but the level difference of the mob changes by 10 levels.

If the block rate didn't change from a 10 level gap, then surely 85% is the cap, right? At least that's what I was thinking, until I decided to head back and run both tests again, this time with +46 shield skill. And the results...

Parse #3

Parse #4

Block rate increased by a whole 5% in both tests with the added +46 shield skill! On mobs that were supposedly capped in block rate through sheer (Defender Shield Skill - Attacker Combat Skill)!

This means that the Defender Shield Skill and Attacker Combat Skill difference does indeed cap at some point, but any shield skill added beyond that seems to increase the block rate further, likely all the way to a 100% block rate if one could achieve the adequate shield skill to push it that far (further supported by Martel's past block rate tests with the iLv Shield Skill +215 before the nerf).

This, at the very least, seems to imply that the block rate calculation has two factors:
-The difference between the defender's shield skill and the attacker's combat skill (confirmed by SE a while back via a devpost).
-Additional shield skill that somehow gets factored in even after the above difference has capped off.

This may also explain the discrepancies between block rate cap tests in the past, as the Shield/Combat Skill difference between the player and mob may have capped off, but then depending on the player's available shield skill added on top of that, the results would have varied (which may or may not have been affected by the testing job's skill cap such as WAR vs PLD skill caps).

It would be interesting to find out if the additional shield skill is only the amount past our skill cap (similarly to summoning magic skill for summoners), or if it's calculating using the full shield skill value. Either way, the results were a big surprise to me; I honestly wasn't expecting shield skill to further increase what looked like an already capped block rate. Results with an iLv shield on the same mobs may be interesting to see... I might look into testing that tomorrow.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-03-26 07:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Good stuffs. Nice to see some more shield testing. Also, really good sample sizes.

I'm very curious to see if an Ilvl test could hit 100%. If so it's be the first ever non Ochain shield test to actually cap.
By Blazed1979 2016-03-26 08:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Akivatoo said: »
i have the same issue between my pdt and fast cast set i loose 1k2 hp but i haven't any way to solve that without nerf my FC set
FC 2177HP:
PDT 3367 HP :

toss yourself a cureIV and pretend its the old days when that's all you could do to hold hate on Tiamat vs 10 BLMs spamming burstII/ThunderIV/ThundagaIII XD
[+]
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2016-03-27 03:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Got around to testing! I'll jump straight into the results. The first set utilizes Priwen for the shield skill +112, along with as much shield skill equipment I had available to me (+46).

Parse #1

Even with the extra +112 shield skill, I couldn't reach the block rate cap of 100%. One might think that the block rate is either capping or showing diminishing returns via excess shield skill, but I also gathered another set of data without the +46 shield skill I had in equipment.

Parse #2

The block rate drops by about 5%, which is consistent with the amount the block rate increased from the Aegis (99) tests when I applied the +46 shield skill. So it appears that I simply don't have enough shield skill to reach 100%, and not because of some cap or diminishing return threshold.

But if Aegis was at roughly a 85% block rate with 440 shield skill, how is it that Priwen was only at around a 88% block rate with a total of 552 shield skill? Shouldn't it be way higher?

Well, there was this one test I did way back when, comparing the block rate differences of a size 3 shield and a size 5 (Aegis) shield (link for the curious). The results seemed to indicate that a size 5 (Aegis) shield had a 5% higher base block rate than the size 3.

Just to make sure this was still the case, and to make sure that past data wasn't just pure invalid variance, I did another test on the same mobs above with a standard non-iLv size 3 shield (Gleaming Shield). The results:

Parse #3

Parse #4

440 Shield Skill:
Aegis - 85.60% ± 1.16%
Gleaming Shield - 75.57% ± 1.41%

486 Shield Skill:
Aegis - 90.57% ± 0.80%
Gleaming Shield - 81.08% ± 1.25%

Soooo... I guess it was more like a 10% boost? I'm glad I redid the test after all, heh. Either that, or the amount changes based on some modifier with shield skill and other unknown factors. The older test was lacking in sample size though, so it could've easily been that too.

Either way, one thing is for certain— Aegis does seem to get a higher base block rate than your average size 3 shield. This may also apply to the Aeonic shield Srivatsa too, being a size 5 shield and all.

But yeah, I guess this explains why Aegis and Priwen are so close to each other in the parse despite the added +112 skill from Priwen.

To finish off with the parses, I wanted to see if Priwen (or any shield other than Ochain for that matter) could truly reach 100% block rate, so with my shield skill +46 set, I ran a parse utilizing Reprisal. The result.... <insert drum roll>

Parse #5

100% block rate achieved! So it looks like block rate has no actual cap, although individual steps within the calculation may have their own set caps, such as the defender's shield skill and attacker's combat skill factor for example. Other unknown cap factors may also exist within the calculation, as noted from a past test by Martel where Reprisal did not cap block rate where it should have.

Well, that's all I have for now! Although hopefully contributing to unraveling the mysteries of block rate, it almost feels like more questions are raised than answered each time we unveil new inner workings of the mechanics, heh.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jeffil
Server: Cerberus
user: Zelljrc
By Cerberus.Jeffil 2016-04-01 11:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'd like some input on the following two sets.

I finished my Burtgang this morning! /happydance

With that in mind, I would like to ask about the following sets for my Paladin.

I have a "DD" set that I am shooting for and I am almost at all the pieces in this set. Reisen gear would be augmented with as much Acc, Att, and Double Attack as I can get. The Despair Mail is augmented on Path B to cap haste.

ItemSet 342881

And also, my Atonement set is as follows, with Reisen gear augmented with as much WS damage as I can get on each piece.

ItemSet 342880

What do you think?
By mrpresident 2016-04-06 10:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So what has everyone being doing with their JSE capes? I was thinking of trying out a defensive build with the m.eva+20, but now I'm thinking I might just go all out on a WS build and be done with it.

Acc/Att+20, WS Dmg+10, and then Str/Dex/Mnd for Savg./CDC/Req. seem like the obvious setups, but not sure which one would give the biggest gains compared to what is available already. Anyone with an updated DPS spread care to run some numbers for me? For those 3 Ws I'm currently using the 3 back pieces listed on the main page of this thread.
By mrpresident 2016-04-06 10:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the defensive build I was looking at, eva/m.eva+20, Int+20(translates to 10 m.eva correct?) and wasn't sure about the last slot, so maybe Enmity+10.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-04-06 11:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fast cast all the things!!!!
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-04-06 12:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Rudianos's Mantle

For FC:
HP+60
Evasion+20, Magic Evasion+20
Fast Cast+10

For DOT acc:
DEX+20
Accuracy+20, Attack+20
“Store TP”+10 // “Double Attack”+10

For WS:
STR+20
Accuracy+20, Attack+20
Weaponskill Damage+10

For Atonement:
HP+60
Accuracy+20, Attack+20
Weaponskill Damage+10

For Rampart:
VIT+20
Evasion+20, Magic Evasion+20
Enmity+10
[+]
By RolandJ 2016-04-06 12:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Akivatoo am I overlooking a certain detail or is the maximum HP+ amount on our new JSE capes +60 instead of the +180 you listed in your examples? The crit hit rate seems to have been incorrectly listed as crit hit damage by SE on their update page so I wouldn't be surprised if this is another such inconsitency between what SE stated and what the value actually is. (Or perhaps bg wiki has it incorrectly listed as crit hit rate?.. idk, I've not investigated)

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Fast cast all the things!!!!
Yes, Fast Cast, GO! :D (especially in PLD's case)
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-04-06 12:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Akivatoo said: »
For WS:
STR+20
Accuracy+20, Attack+20
Weaponskill Damage+10

For Atonement:
HP+180
Accuracy+20, Attack+20
Weaponskill Damage+10

There's no real reason to make a separate mantle for Atonement versus Savage Blade.
By mrpresident 2016-04-06 13:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, I've have to get my spreadsheet reliable so I can play around with gear combos. I'm pulling mine straight from what is here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?usp=drive_web&id=0B0A0wGYYRRdaZjdlNTdkNTEtMDMyYy00OTVmLWI4N2ItNDMwMDI1N2VkYWZk&ddrp=1#list

It was last updated 10/16/14, is this going to be the best starting point? And is all the info on BG up to date with the correct formulas?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-04-06 14:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can wait till I get home from work, I'll clean mine up a bit, find somewhere to host it, you can use that. I think I've got it corrected for the pDIF changes.
[+]
By mrpresident 2016-04-06 14:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude that would be awesome, its probably the last thing I need while I'm still at work anyway. I foresee much tinkering...
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-04-06 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sent you a PM.
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 137 138 139