Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI solo or duo friendly now? Current state pls
FFXI solo or duo friendly now? Current state pls
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-01-19 15:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Teapo said: »
For example he ad what af is it talking about? Like the lvl 60 stuff?

Any RoE objective you meet the requirements for, such as inventory expansion or AF quests, will be instantly completed once you activate it from your RoE menu.

Don't waste XP, make sure you're on a job you want to level or not meritcapped before doing this.

The AF armors you quest for can now be made into ilvl 109 or 119 gear providing you have Sea access and the required materials... and of course the base AF gear. Relic is the same, though you'll probably want to +2 it before you 109 it due to the ancient currency cost needed to go from unaugmented base relic to 109.

If you junked your AF a long time ago you can go to Lower Jeuno and redo your AF quests with the Elvaan guy in the spell shop.

If you can farm sparks, and you can, you can get the chapters needed. Everything else can be bought or farmed.

You can have a maximum of 15 Records of Eminence quests (that includes Unity quests) active at once, not counting the extra objective (Vanquish Aquans, Gain Experience, etc) that flashes on your screen and is available to everyone at about the same time each day.

Some sparks quests are repeatable, others are not. Most people farm sparks utilizing the "Deal 500 Damage" and "Vanquish 200 Enemies" methods, because they are infinitely repeatable and extremely easy to complete over and over.

Not all RoE objectives can be done in Abyssea, either- though all zones do have a 20 enemies quest for those of you who burn in experience parties.

1 spark can also gain you about 10 gil also, assuming you buy gear from the sparks guy and NPC it.
By Teapo 2015-01-19 17:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm I guess I'm still not understanding lol
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-19 19:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

SE wanted to raise the level cap to 119, but they can't cuz of how they coded everything. Instead, you just get armor/weapons that have insane stats on them that bring you up to 119. You can upgrade your AF and Dynamis armor to 119, which is mostly great gear.
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2015-01-19 19:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sparks are a currency, which can be used to purchase things like gear. The records of eminence are the objectives you need to complete to be rewarded sparks and xp. You can have a total of 15 objectives active at once. Once you complete an objective, it is no longer active unless it is repeatable. The possible objectives range from a large variety of things, including simple things like fishing or crafting all the way to killing specific NMs like Valkurm Emperor or any of the Wildskeeper Reive NMs. The main thing is to be smart about it because some objectives can be completed at the same time.
By Teapo 2015-01-19 19:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there certain sparks missions that people spam to maximize the amount of sparks gained?
By fillerbunny9 2015-01-19 20:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

dual box friendly? I dual boxed all but 2 of the mission fights for Adoulin. yeah, it's pretty darn friendly.
By Teapo 2015-01-20 01:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

that gear actually looks very good, is it bottom of the barrel in current gear hierarchy? are the papers low manable?
By Gruknor 2015-01-20 02:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You can either farm the 1-5 paper from BCNM type fights or you can buy them with sparks, which is the currency you get for doing RoE. The 6-10 papers are from merit point fights or you can buy them with sparks. 1-5 is for getting artifact/relic armor to 109. 6-10 is for getting artifact/relic armor to 119. 119 is the highest ilvl we can get, so far.
By Elwynbelwyn 2015-01-20 07:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Trusts make things a lot more solo friendly. I decided to start a new same account mule/alt a week ago (so I could have another go for once-a-day stuff). So I've been leveling WHM solo with trusts. At first I only used two trusts (Kupipi and Tenzen) because those were the quickest to get, then I got Excenmille when I got around to San d'Oria. My very first job back in 2008 was WHM, which I soloed up to 35 or so then spammed campaign, so I know how hard it is and how slow melee damage is from WHM.

Anyhow, I soloed the LB1 items at level 48. (or maybe 46 or 47, I probably leveled since then) On WHM. With no subjob. (I have all 6 subjob items but am saving them for ToAU access.) And my club skill is blue because I was mostly fighting DC to low IT mobs while leveling. Haven't even tried aby worming yet because I know I'd have to stop for limit break stuff.

One big change over the old days is home point warps. You basically tag a place and you can get there forever, at least if you have gil. (I haven't been mailing much stuff to my new guy, just some silent oil and prism powder, some gobbiebag items I mostly already had on storage mules, and a bunch of aby keys. So I've had gil problems.) I also made use of some proto-waypoint warps (the Konschtat one is pretty convienent when you don't have teleport spells), and spamming some imprimaturs in Adoulin both for quick exp and to get through the low-reward ones.

Also, FWIW, the first days on this new character were with Treasure Hound in effect. Those brown chests kept me upgrading armor and weapons, more or less (no +MP gear in there, just DEF!), and were a good source of gil for those first few days.

I still haven't unlocked a lot of areas yet (you need to unlock Tenshodo before ToAU, and the quest requires 3 Jeuno fame) but it's mostly due to not having time to do everything all at once. No quests or missions so far either. I am really skipping a lot of stuff, partly to see what I can do without what I've skipped. Doing things the "wrong" way can be pretty fun.
 Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname
Server: Carbuncle
user: Wraithx
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-21 11:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all!

Another returning player from way back when. I've been reading up on all the comments and such above and the new material in the game. I understand it all, but I have a few questions for active players myself. I know you've been answering a lot of questions on this thread about returning players and is it worth it, questions about new content. But if you don't mind answering a few more I'd be greatly appreciated.

I played the game off and on since 07, I love the game, and don't want to give it up quite yet. What I miss most about xi right now is making macros/scripts - researching fights/missions/NMs - strategizing - and actually playing a role in a party - Teamwork that took organized strategies to win a battle or else the whole party would wipe. be it 2-54 people all having a purpose.

So my friend and I would always talk about the game and about returning but we've never done so because of the overwhelming factor of how much content is ingame right now. But we would focus solely on duo'n from the beginning to whatever we feel like doing. from xp'ing like the old days in west Ron(sandorians^^) to the dunes to qufim and so on and so forth. (unless there are more fun areas to level up. (not PL'ing in abyssea or such) Because when we were active, most of our accomplishments were done by duo'n drgs/blus/rdms/bsts/smns. We just miss the fun. and to me, having tried every MMO out there, nothing has replaced the fun we had with xi.

I appreciate the time ya took to read this and hope to get some intelligent responses! Trolls are welcome too, where would mmo's be without trolls ; ;

Thanks,
Omg
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-21 14:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't help but notice you didn't actually ask anything in your post. But if you're wondering if it's possible to level like in the olden days, then yes; particularly with the help of trusts, you and your buddy can level anywhere you want without having to look for more people or anything like that. Leveling will certainly go a lot quicker for you these days, even without using Abyssea. The hardest part will probably be finding any crafted armor, since there's virtually no demand for it.

As for endgame content, most of it requires a good understanding of the enemies, as all NMs carry qualities that make them unique. Without needing to rely on others, you and your friend could look up new fights and attempt them duo, and stand a chance on winning, depending on the difficulty and your experience/skill/gear/etc.
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-21 15:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I can't help but notice you didn't actually ask anything in your post.

Haha It seems that way. I was asking all the questions in my head and didn't even think to put them down on the thread. Just where I was coming from, must of got carried away. Oops!

But thank you guys for the input, So most of everything is either rare/ex/aug? no demands for crafting anymore, so we'd be pretty much naked unless we buy npc gear i take it? as far as "endgame content" is limbus/salvage/einherjar/CoP/DM outdated? should we just focus on SoA and it's endgame content? I feel like all other expansions diminished once that came out.

But this is very intriguing and thank you very much for the information :)
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-21 18:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname said: »
But thank you guys for the input, So most of everything is either rare/ex/aug? no demands for crafting anymore, so we'd be pretty much naked unless we buy npc gear i take it? as far as "endgame content" is limbus/salvage/einherjar/CoP/DM outdated? should we just focus on SoA and it's endgame content? I feel like all other expansions diminished once that came out.
I meant armor from level 1-98, you wouldn't find much in the way of crafted stuff. You can still rely on CP armor, AF, and other stuff you get from content. This would probably be your only difficulty in leveling the old fashioned way, though I don't think it will be a major issue since you get faster exp fighting stuff around your level and lower, rather than VT-IT. RoE Objectives in some zones do give out pieces of armor though (like kill 10 enemies in Beadeaux scores you a free Brigandine), and the treasure caskets you can unlock can usually net passable crafted armor. Nearly all NMs are ignored by everyone else as well, so stuff like Leaping Lizzy is easy pickin's. At 99, there are still useful armor pieces that are crafted, though mostly accessories have any long-term value.

Because Adoulin also introduced the post-99 content, it's the only place guaranteed to have stuff that's relevant, though they've also added mission BC rematches (vs. Tenzen, Ark Angels/Divine Might, etc) at high levels that score unique gear and the items needed to upgrade your AF/relic armor. These fights require you have beaten the originals. Also, you can set the difficulty on these fights, with higher levels giving better drop rates.
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 08:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Verda and Jeanpaul for the feedback, your information and time is definitely helping me. I appreciate it.

Verda your breakdown for each event really helps to see whats active , outdated, or not played anymore. Thank you very much, I will save that for sure for the near future with me hopefully on FF!!

JP, So now days it is better to xp off of DC/EM enemies than to go after T/IT? It's sad that all NM's are ignored(but good for us!) I remember the excruciating time sink it was to camp NM's and HOPE that you were the one to claim haha. But this is good, starting from scratch I wouldn't mind getting full sets of AF gear and such. But sadly, its sounding like more and more I will be returning by myself because my friend is hooked on Destiny. (pft!) But with each conversation we have I am more and more intrigued about this!

No as far as server choosing, Do you guys know how busy servers are or recommend a certain server? Because if I do return solo, I will be bringing back my old character so I have a "little" headstart than i firstly anticipated :)
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-01-22 08:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

JP, So now days it is better to xp off of DC/EM enemies than to go after T/IT?)
For JP farming, what you target entirely depends on:
Your job/subjob
Gear
Zone access (for players returning to the game)
Your general ability to maintain xp/cp chain and have no downtime, availability of monsters and their respawn rate.

An oversimplified progression of the more popular zones people tend to farm merits/jobpoints depending on gear/skill is something like this:

Solo+trusts
Ceizak->Yahse->Foret->Marjami->Kamihr->Ra'Kaznar

Advanced soloists+partys
Subgate (underground) zones (Dho / Woh)
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2015-01-22 08:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Verda and Jeanpaul for the feedback, your information and time is definitely helping me. I appreciate it.

Verda your breakdown for each event really helps to see whats active , outdated, or not played anymore. Thank you very much, I will save that for sure for the near future with me hopefully on FF!!

JP, So now days it is better to xp off of DC/EM enemies than to go after T/IT? It's sad that all NM's are ignored(but good for us!) I remember the excruciating time sink it was to camp NM's and HOPE that you were the one to claim haha. But this is good, starting from scratch I wouldn't mind getting full sets of AF gear and such. But sadly, its sounding like more and more I will be returning by myself because my friend is hooked on Destiny. (pft!) But with each conversation we have I am more and more intrigued about this!

No as far as server choosing, Do you guys know how busy servers are or recommend a certain server? Because if I do return solo, I will be bringing back my old character so I have a "little" headstart than i firstly anticipated :)

If you want consitant random shouts of events like skirmishes/delve/BC's,etc.. - Two servers come to mind. Ragnarok and Odin.
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 09:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
JP, So now days it is better to xp off of DC/EM enemies than to go after T/IT?)

An oversimplified progression of the more popular zones people tend to farm merits/jobpoints depending on gear/skill is something like this:

Solo+trusts
Ceizak->Yahse->Foret->Marjami->Kamihr->Ra'Kaznar

Advanced soloists+partys
Subgate (underground) zones (Dho / Woh)

Damn, Yes I will have to do my research, the zones you just mentioned, I have no idea what/where they are. haha but advanced soloists, sounds like a challenge! >:D
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 09:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »

If you want consitant random shouts of events like skirmishes/delve/BC's,etc.. - Two servers come to mind. Ragnarok and Odin.

Thanks Dubai! I shall keep those in mind :)

Edit: Well apparently I'm a Bismark'ian as of now because when I went into my account it shows me in Bismark haha. Is Carbuncle server not active anymore?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-22 11:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Sapphire misinterpreted when you said JP, referring to me, that you were asking about Job Points (essentially a level 99 continuation of merits, best earned in Adoulin areas).

Seen a lot of people leave Sylph lately for servers like Odin, I have no idea if they're happier there but I'd wager the increased volume of people doesn't change the ratio of *** to cool people. Regardless of what server you play on, you're probably still gonna be happiest with a bunch of people who share your mindset.
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 11:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah Ok, haha. So the areas he mentioned earlier were based on areas for farming experience after obtaining lv.99?

I agree though, you'll never be able to flee from the "tool bags" of mmorpgs who "know it all" and are "elite".
But finding a group of people who share the same enthusiasm as I do for the game will be worth it.

I'm excited :)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 11:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
that's weird. bismarck merged with seraph not carbuncle lol
That's odd. I don't remember switching over to any other server before I stopped playing. even my ah account still says carby. i'z been Hax'd! ; ;

welcome back senor~
Thank you very much sir!

I would follow grounds of valors all the way up from lvl ~6 king ramperre's tomb and eventually you'll be 50 to hit kuftal+
those crabs can take you to 99 if needed and I think you'll be stuck capping skills for a time. but once you hit lvl 74+ you can jump to zeruthn mines with trusts and once you hit 90+ there you can jump to crawler's nest gov lvl 92 mobs (which will capp all your skills at 99 once you hit 99 quickly)

then you can repeat for new jobs or go smash some endgamez

And thank you very much for the feedback! I will definitely have to save this because I know I enjoy having everything capped when I do hit a level so knowing where to go to level as well as where to skill up is greatly appreciated!
By Carbuncle.Omgwheresmyname 2015-01-22 15:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Has there been any major job updates? Abilities/Traits in the last few years? I was more of a "get it done yourself" kind of player when I wasn't busy helping with events and such so my favorite jobs were of the duo/solo friendly. Blu / Bst / Drg / Smn / Thf. I'd say in descending order of favoritism as well like that.

Just curious if they nerf'd any of em or if they are not worthy of building anymore?