A Prime Example Of Rad Parenting

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-27 12:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
'm not talking about warehousing or inventory costs, the manufacturer or a middle man will stock the items, all TRU (in this instance) does is negotiate a per unit price and foot the cost of marketing and facilitating the sales. Someone buys the item from TRU, TRU forwards the order to the actual retailer, the retailer ships the item in a TRU box, TRU keeps a slice of the profit. That's a more and more common means of e-commerce than people realize.
How a very simplistic and incorrect viewpoint of both online and offline commerce there is.

There are contracts involved with selling products either online or in physical locations, both of which involves negotiations and set terms agreed on by both sides. Toys R Us takes possession of the products and stores it either in warehouses or on shelves for the consumer, either physical or online, to purchase. Once the purchase is made by Toys R Us, they own the product until it is either sold or repurchased by the manufacturer. If what you say is true, then there wouldn't be any merchandise inventory, or warehousing costs, as it is stated on their 10-K. They would never have ownership of the product and would not have any of those assets or expenses on their books.

The idea of warehousing and buyback contracts is pretty outdated for e-commerce, there is little to no reason to stock an item as you don't need to display it in a store, and the customer doesn't care who is stocking and shipping the item, so long as the price is right and it gets there quick.
If you have no or limited physical presence, that may be true, depending on the size of the business. However, you fail to realize that Toys R Us has physical presence in most, if not all, of the US.

Seriously, you need to stop pretending you know business practices, it's embarrassing.

Brokership is a pretty common business practice, bud. I also didn't say that's how they do things currently, but it is a viable option for low volume products that a lot of retailers employ. Best Buy was one of the first and most successful examples with their "marketplace" items. They list and broker sales for a cut of the profits.

Just because you're not aware of something doesn't mean it's not common, and brokership is one of the more prudent retail practices that's come about in e-commerce.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 13:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Consignment is the term you are looking for, not brokership.

But at least you admitted that it is a common business practice, even though you denied it previously. I guess there's hope for you yet.

Either way, the ownership of the products is the retailer, not the manufacturer. Unless the contract specifically states that, but that's a different type of deal.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-27 14:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

But at least you admitted that it is a common business practice, even though you denied it previously. I guess there's hope for you yet.

Either way, the ownership of the products is the retailer, not the manufacturer. Unless the contract specifically states that, but that's a different type of deal.

Consignment and brokeship are different, consignment means the retailer takes possession of the product, brokership means they don't. I'm talking about retailers not ever touching a product they sell, that's brokership, and a lot of companies do it successfully.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-27 14:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Did Girlboy or Catmod change the title?!? LOL!

Wait for it...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-27 14:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Ha! I didn't even notice that til you mentioned it...
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-10-27 15:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Wait for it...
I was wondering how long it'd take people to notice, and as expected of an 18 page P&R thread, no one knows or cares WTF they are talking about. >.>
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 15:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Consignment and brokeship are different, consignment means the retailer takes possession of the product, brokership means they don't. I'm talking about retailers not ever touching a product they sell, that's brokership, and a lot of companies do it successfully.
Again, you are confusing the legal definitions.

Consignment has the retailer displaying the product, but doesn't take ownership, which is what I'm talking about and have been talking about for the past page. Brokership, if that is even the right term for it, deals with mainly intangible assets or stocks/securities. Both of which do not pertain in ownership but what types of assets are being dealt with...

But keep it up, I love showing everyone how limited your knowledge of business is.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 15:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That actually pisses me off a lot lately. Ive been trying to find certain products in certain conditions. And sooooo many places (nearly all) never even see the product they are selling. As a result they just use a radon stock picture of the item and not a pic of the item itself. And while im trying to find designs that were discontinued several years ago, and all of these damn places are still using the old photos while trying to sell the new item. I keep asking these sellers about it because i don't want to get the wrong item. And every one either has the new style, or say they don't have access to the product there selling and cant check. It gets infuriating after a while.

And 98% of these ppl refuse to change there pic to the item they are actually selling. ><
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 15:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

That actually pisses me off a lot lately. Ive been trying to find certain products in certain conditions. And sooooo many places (nearly all) never even see the product they are selling. As a result they just use a radon stock picture of the item and not a pic of the item itself. And while im trying to find designs that were discontinued several years ago, and all of these damn places are still using the old photos while trying to sell the new item. I keep asking these sellers about it because i don't want to get the wrong item. And every one either has the new style, or say they don't have access to the product there selling and cant check. It gets infuriating after a while.

And 98% of these ppl refuse to change there pic to the item they are actually selling. ><
If you buy from Ebay or any online auction website, that's the price you pay for that. Hell, Amazon if you are buying from a third party is like that too.

But brick/mortar stores at least see what the product is before selling it.
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-10-27 15:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It really annoys me too. There seem to be a number of businesses out there that claim to have items in stock, but in truth, they don't actually have any merchandise at all. They present the guise of being a direct-purchase store, but all they do is take your order, and then secretly order the goods from a third party, arranging for the merchandise to be sent straight from the third party to you.

Lightingdirect.com is one such business.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 15:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If you buy from Ebay or any online auction website, that's the price you pay for that. Hell, Amazon if you are buying from a third party is like that too.

Amazon is like that for all my items. I don't even bother looking there. Everything im looking for is fairly hard to find now because it was all discontinued many years ago. An about 98% of amazon pics show the old item. I know i didn't get that lucky'

At least ebay has half a shot. The private or individual sellers at least usually take a pic themselves. But the 'stores' on ebay still use fake stock photos. Even after i pointed it out to them and showed them that the item they are selling does not match the item in there pic, they still refuse to change it. So i keep sending them messages asking if the item they are selling matches the one in the pic. It doesn't take long for them to get annoyed at the same question over and over. Some took the hint'
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 15:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Amazon is like that for all my items. I don't even bother looking there. Everything im looking for is fairly hard to find now because it was all discontinued many years ago. An about 98% of amazon pics show the old item. I know i didn't get that lucky'

At least ebay has half a shot. The private or individual sellers at least usually take a pic themselves. But the 'stores' on ebay still use fake stock photos. Even after i pointed it out to them and showed them that the item they are selling does not match the item in there pic, they still refuse to change it. So i keep sending them messages asking if the item they are selling matches the one in the pic. It doesn't take long for them to get annoyed at the same question over and over. Some took the hint'
I generally do not do online shopping unless I literally cannot find an item in either the stores available within 300 miles of San Antonio (Dallas, Houston, or Austin) or during my business trips. Sometimes I even go out of my way for specific items if they are only sold there, but only if they are a gift or whatnot.

I don't like online shopping for the very reason why you hate it. That's why I generally don't do it.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-27 16:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Consignment has the retailer displaying the product, but doesn't take ownership, which is what I'm talking about and have been talking about for the past page. Brokership, if that is even the right term for it, deals with mainly intangible assets or stocks/securities. Both of which do not pertain in ownership but what types of assets are being dealt with...

But keep it up, I love showing everyone how limited your knowledge of business is.
Possession and ownership are different things... As a broker, you facilitate a purchase between 2 parties. Calling to question something you don't understand on a basic level is foolhardy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 16:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Possession and ownership are different things... As a broker, you facilitate a purchase between 2 parties. Calling to question something you don't understand on a basic level is foolhardy.
Hey, don't blame me for your own mistakes. I pointed it out multiple times, not my fault you are too proud to admit to them.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-27 16:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

In the late paleolithic age, or before the interwebs, what Jassik calls brokership was called drop shipping.

Many mail order businesses had not a dime in inventory, just a catalog and a rolodex. They take your order and pass it on to the business that actually stocks and ships the item. Often under the label of the drop shipper.

I suspect Heartland America and Lillian Vernon are drop shippers and I know that NeweggFlash is.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 16:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally do not do online shopping unless I literally cannot find an item in either the stores available within 300 miles of San Antonio (Dallas, Houston, or Austin) or during my business trips. Sometimes I even go out of my way for specific items if they are only sold there, but only if they are a gift or whatnot.

I don't like online shopping for the very reason why you hate it. That's why I generally don't do it.

yea, but in my specific case, theirs not many options. I already know that NO stores carry them since they were discontinued so many years ago. The only ppl that have them now are private ppl that decided to give theres up. Or those that stocked away mass amounts when they were available and are now selling them back. So for me, in this case, online is rly the only option if i want to get them.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-10-27 16:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

When did the title of the thread change?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-27 16:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, don't blame me for your own mistakes. I pointed it out multiple times, not my fault you are too proud to admit to them.

The scenario I've been talking about since the first mention is the retailer never taking possession or ownership of a product, only brokering a sale by utilizing the traffic of their website. Seriously... Nobody is this dense.

Garuda.Chanti said: »
In the late paleolithic age, or before the interwebs, what Jassik calls brokership was called drop shipping.

Many mail order businesses had not a dime in inventory, just a catalog and a rolodex. They take your order and pass it on to the business that actually stocks and ships the item. Often under the label of the drop shipper.

I suspect Heartland America and Lillian Vernon are drop shippers and I know that NeweggFlash is.

TRU does a lot of their business online, which is more and more common for brick and mortar stores. Their adult targeted products are much more commonly sold through their online store. I can see pulling them from the shelves, but not discontinuing them, there's virtually no overhead cost for offering them online, as they only need to be purchased on an order basis, and can even be sold as a market sale and drop shipped. Even if they sold only a couple dozen a year, there is basically no cost involved in offering them that way. So, the idea that they could have been ready to pull them either way is flawed, there would be literally no reason outside of this public spectacle for them to discontinue them online.

Yep! First post concerning that practice, too.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-10-27 16:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yea, but in my specific case, theirs not many options. I already know that NO stores carry them since they were discontinued so many years ago. The only ppl that have them now are private ppl that decided to give theres up. Or those that stocked away mass amounts when they were available and are now selling them back. So for me, in this case, online is rly the only option if i want to get them.
The combination of the above and the thread in which you asked for information regarding "professional looking shrink wrap machines" makes me think you're doing something pretty dishonest.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 16:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »

The combination of the above and the thread in which you asked for information regarding "professional looking shrink wrap machines" makes me think you're doing something pretty dishonest.

lol, no no. Ive not done any such thing. Besides, cant shrink wrap what i don't have. And i haven't found most of what i was looking for (that i mentioned above)

Edit: there have been several different tech things like that that i have asked about on here. Several of which i never got. The shrink wrap machine will likely be part of that list. Cant afford that much for the machine, heat gun, and wrap atm.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 16:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If GoG is doing something illegal, this whole website are a bunch of accomplices!

You are all going to jail! I'm ratting every single one of you out, a couple of you twice. In Girlboy's case, it's all on him!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 16:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

****, ive been exposed!! /panic
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2014-10-27 17:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really see how wanting to keep her kids away from questionable toys makes her a bad parent. In fact, as a parent myself (8 and 9 year old boys), I kind of agree with her. But I think she's taking it a bit too far. My reaction would just be to keep my kids away from a toy like that. It's that simple. I don't really think a petition to force them to stop selling those figurines or whatever they are is the answer.
I kind of think of it like this. If you're going to force them to stop selling questionable toys like that, then you're going to have to think about all the toys. Like nerf guns or cap guns. Those emulate real guns right? Get rid of them while your at it. Or how about wrestling figurines or the costume pieces they sell? Yeah, it's fake, but young children don't know that, and could attempt something dangerous because of it. Super hero costumes. Might as well get rid of those too, since your kid might jump out of a second story window trying to fly. I can name a whole bunch of toys that MIGHT lead to behaviour like that, but as a parent, it's my job to decide what's good or bad for my kids. I'm not saying I'm against nerf guns, or wrestling toys, or super hero costumes, or anything like that. I'm just pointing out that there have been toys around for years that have kind of been the same.
If there is something I dislike about a toy, they don't get it. Plain and simple.

TL:DR - Kind of agree, think she's taking it too far. If your going to petition to get one questionable toy off the market, you might as well go for all of them. Just keep your kid away from toys you dislike.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-27 17:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody forced anyone to do anything.

The petition could have easily been ignored by Toys R Us and nobody would have cared.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2014-10-27 22:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody forced anyone to do anything.

The petition could have easily been ignored by Toys R Us and nobody would have cared.

I doubt very seriously that they would want the bad PR from ignoring something like that.
In light of that, I should probably say 'try to force' or coerce them into dropping that product. Either way, probably bad choice of phrasing on my part.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-28 05:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai said: »
I doubt very seriously that they would want the bad PR from ignoring something like that.
Except they are getting bad PR anyway, regardless of the fact that they pulled the product or not.

Didn't you hear about the counter-petition or that guy's tweet because he isn't getting a royalty check anymore?

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 12:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that's never what it was about. It wasn't about her kid getting his hands on the toys. She felt it was wrong for the store to carry something that is heavily associated with drug use/dealing.

Also, as I explained before she is familiar with breaking bad as she watches and admitted she enjoyed the show. It may just be that she is unfamiliar with the other products.

I have no idea what kids jumping out of windows and finding guns has anything to do with any of this though.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19