A Prime Example Of Rad Parenting

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
First Page 2 ... 17 18 19

| Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-10-20 08:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If maybe, just maybe people moved beyond the idea that toy stores don't sell toys excusively for kids anymore...
(Except for those "other" adult toys, there are specialized "Toy stores" for those.)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 08:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You may disagree with her opinion but I don't see what this has anything to do with bad parenting...
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-10-20 09:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm.

Are you calling her a "bad parent" because she is pro-active about trying to improve the world her child will grow up in?

Or are you calling her a "bad parent" because she's ruining someone's fun?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-20 09:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You may disagree with her opinion but I don't see what this has anything to do with bad parenting...

A prime example of bad thread naming...

@OP YOU SUCK!!! and I want the four minutes I wasted here back.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 09:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not so much "bad parenting" as much as "entitlement issues".

Helicopter mom tries to protect child from every little thing. In doing so, she expects the world around her to conform to her child and her feelings on how the world should be for her child.

It's a pretty common mindset with the "trophy for everyone" kids becoming parents now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-20 09:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Helicopter mom? lol

This?

I suppose I learn something new every time I come here ! :D
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 09:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Wikipedia said: »
Quote:
A helicopter parent (also called a cosseting parent or simply a cosseter) is a parent who pays extremely close attention to a child's or children's experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions. Helicopter parents are so named because, like helicopters, they hover overhead.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 09:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
It's not so much "bad parenting" as much as "entitlement issues".

Helicopter mom tries to protect child from every little thing. In doing so, she expects the world around her to conform to her child and her feelings on how the world should be for her child.

It's a pretty common mindset with the "trophy for everyone" kids becoming parents now.
Umm... how can you call someone a helicopter mom based off one issue in that she didn't want her son exposed to a toy that depicts a guy selling meth...

I think it's a valid concern that a toy store mainly marketed towards children is selling a toy that has to do with selling meth even if it's in the 15 and up secton...

As a business, like it or not, what your consumers think about your brand is important...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 09:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
how can you call someone a helicopter mom based off one issue

Because if she's raging and filing petitions and basically going off the deep end over a petty issue like this, I can't even imagine what she's like over other stuff.

Quote:
I think it's a valid concern that a toy store mainly marketed towards children is selling a toy that has to do with selling meth even if it's in the 15 and up secton...

That's like blaming the store for their children playing an M-rated video game just because the store sells it. That's ridiculous.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 10:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It's your opinion that it's petty... That doesn't make it petty...

You're view of "raging" and "going off the deep end" vary greatly from mine then lol... I've seen you come closer on some of your anti-religion rants than this.

Like I said... I don't think it's an unreasonable stance to take. Having worked at Toys before it's not really that hard for kids to walk in and buy that stuff without their parents. It's marketed as a kid friendly store.

It's definitely not the stores responsibility to raise your kid but what does concern them is their consumers opinion. I don't know why they'd want the brand associated with drugs at all...

That being said consumers voicing their opinions about it isn't a bad thing. Whether they do anything about it or not is another issue altogether.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-20 10:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with her, Breaking Bad figures shouldn't be intended for play by children. The show depicts him as a drug dealing protagonist.

Not appropriate for children in the least. I also think the threshold for becoming a "helicopter parent" is a bit past the "I don't want to let my kids play with meth cook action figures" line.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-20 10:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What are Breaking Bad toys doing in a Toys R Us anyway? It's a gripping drama for adults in a store largely for kids/teens.

While I'd just chalk it up to telling a parent to ignore it, like the Predator/Robocop/Chucky toys of days gone by, it's still pretty *** up to be selling those types of toys in a kids store.

Walter White, now with more meth slinging action! Now with even more awesome lines:

'You’re an insane, degenerate piece of filth, and you deserve to die.'
'I am the one who knocks.'
'I'm not in the meth business. I'm in the empire business.'
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 10:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Not appropriate for children in the least. I also think the threshold for becoming a "helicopter parent" is a bit past the "I don't want to let my kids play with meth cook action figures" line.

It's not her not wanting her child to play with those figures that's the issue. She's right for that.

It's expecting a store not to sell them because of it, especially when they're labeled for outside of her child's age group.

It's the expectation that society should restrict things so you don't have to worry about your child being exposed. It's the same people who want tape-delayed sporting events because your child might see a nipple in a wardrobe malfunction and you might have to talk to the child about it.

It's people trying to get the world to bubble wrap itself so as to not offend or harm their precious child.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 10:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

It's not her not wanting her child to play with those figures that's the issue. She's right for that.

It's expecting a store not to sell them because of it, especially when they're labeled for outside of her child's age group.

It's the expectation that society should restrict things so you don't have to worry about your child being exposed. It's the same people who want tape-delayed sporting events because your child might see a nipple in a wardrobe malfunction and you might have to talk to the child about it.

It's people trying to get the world to bubble wrap itself so as to not offend or harm their precious child.
So you'd be cool with toys r us selling sex toys too? Label em 18+ and put it in another section and kids will totally never see it or go over there right?
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-10-20 10:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda agree tho, these figures (also like walking dead, etc, etc), along with some other.. mature show figures, should be sold at a collectible comic/toy shop rather than TRU...

but then again, with the market heavy on videogames and thinning selection of toys due to lower sales, TRU needs to expand on their merchandise....

then again, nothing bad on this thread, besides the naming for it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-10-20 10:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying that those figures don't belong in Toys R Us is akin to saying Adult Swim doesn't belong on the same channel as the rest of Cartoon Network. You're saying that it has to be all or nothing. If part of it is meant for kids then all of it should be.

While I have no interest in action figures, since I have my virtual action doll in FFXI, I don't see the harm in having toys in a toy store. Remember that it's Toys R Us not Toys Only For 5 years and Under R Us. Just as Cartoon Network isn't Cartoons Fit Only For 5 Years and Younger Network.
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-10-20 10:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So is it ok for Toys'r'us to have a adult section for 18 and up (or 21 and up, whatever the legal adult age is in your country), to sell sex toys?

I haven't been in a Toys'r'us for years, but my impression is that it's a place for lots of kids to roam around and play with things. For a parent to be concerned about the kind of content their children may find in there isn't too surprising.

While you can say she's being over protective, there's probably a certain degree of responsibility on the business, targeting at young kids, to think about what they sell and how they sell them.

If their "15 and up" section is guarded by staff and stopping little kids from going in there then maybe it makes sense.

To say this is bad parenting is harsh. I'd say it's bad parenting if she finds that her kid is selling drugs and blame it on this toy. But all i see is a concerned mother, and she may or may not be over the top on her response to this depending on your views.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-10-20 10:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
saying Adult Swim doesn't belong on the same channel as the rest of Cartoon Network.
it kinda doesn't, but font really like CN/AS, so don't care.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-20 10:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Toys R Us is a store marketed to children and teens, it isn't a catch all department store like Target or WalMart if you want to go that route so no, it's not like Adult Swim vs. Cartoon Network. They have a stated purpose as a brand that pitches itself a family friendly store and that comes with certain expectations.

Breaking Bad is a show for adults, it doesn't even have cross appeal with kids unless you think a show about drug dealers has charm with your impressionable 13 year old. ***, even Predator toys had a better argument to be on shelves because of its heroes vs. alien schtick.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 10:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
saying Adult Swim doesn't belong on the same channel as the rest of Cartoon Network.

I used to love Adult Swim, I actually don't understand the live-action stuff on it though. At all. I mean, I think it's all terrible, but that's besides the point. If it's a terrible cartoon I even get it.

It's the not-cartoon on Cartoon Network that throws me for a loop.

Also, the sex toy thing is just stupid, but some of you are clearly very, very concerned that these children be protected and that it's the businesses responsibility, not the parents, so...sign the ***'s petition, I guess?

I'm just sick of parents expecting society to form itself to their idea of ideal for their offspring.

Whatever.
By Primal623 2014-10-20 10:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so Toys R Us just needs to keep toys like that off the shelf until after prime time, then they can bring them out after the kids go to bed. Works for TV right?
Toys R Us has always billed themselves as a child-friendly establishment, and that's the issue. Parenting aside, I don't think anyone could reasonable say Breaking Bad is child-friendly. If we were talking about a store like Spencers or even a general hobby shop, BB figures would be just fine as they don't specifically target ages that it would be inappropriate for.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-20 10:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, I don't think she's over-reaching to expect a kids toy store to refrain from selling "drug related" toys to minors. It's not like the store wouldn't sell them to little kids looking to buy them. Could she put her time to better use than raising awareness for such an issue? Probably but who cares, I'm not shopping there anytime soon anyways.

I mean older kids (high schoolers) are perfectly capable of comprehending the issues of the show. I think moms and dads who shelter teens against the show are making a "helicoptering" mistake, but not little kids.

Also 20.99 for an action figure? Dafaq?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 10:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying that those figures don't belong in Toys R Us is akin to saying Adult Swim doesn't belong on the same channel as the rest of Cartoon Network. You're saying that it has to be all or nothing. If part of it is meant for kids then all of it should be.

While I have no interest in action figures, since I have my virtual action doll in FFXI, I don't see the harm in having toys in a toy store. Remember that it's Toys R Us not Toys Only For 5 years and Under R Us. Just as Cartoon Network isn't Cartoons Fit Only For 5 Years and Younger Network.
It's actually nothing like AS being on CN... With parental controls and limiting the number of tvs and direct control over watching time it gives you a lot more control over the situation. Also, AS is only on at certain hours... for your example to directly correlate it would have to be in such a way that Toys R us was open at a certain time to adults only.

It's like you guys forget the days of marketing cigarettes to children.

Whether it's right or wrong is another issue altogether though.

think of it like that baker that refused to sell a cake for a gay wedding. He can either submit to to the outside pressure to save his business due to a decrease in sales because of his position, do nothing and fail, or maintain his position and use the bad publicity to obtain a new market.

if this gets enough support Toy R us may need to change it's position on selling the product or maintain the status quo.

In the end we'll all have our own opinions on it though whether we agree or not lol...
By Ramyrez 2014-10-20 10:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Again. I'm not saying the kid should be watching the show or playing with the toy.

I'm just saying I'm against the mom thinking that it's anyone's responsibility but hers that her kid not be exposed.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-20 10:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Toys R Us Mission Statement / Values:

Quote:
At Toys“R”Us®, we love kids! Since the company’s founding more than 65 years ago, kids have been central to who we are and what we do. We approach our business operations with responsibility and integrity, understanding the trust parents place in us to do the right thing and act as a reliable partner as they navigate the various stages of parenthood.

In delivering on our mission to be the World’s Greatest Kids’ Brand, we not only offer parents and families a broad selection of products to create magical playtime memories along with everyday essentials, but we provide the resources necessary to keep their kids safe. This is a core value at the forefront of all we do.

Checkmate.

Toys R Us done goofed. Take the toys off the shelves and adults go buy this merch at the appropriate stores.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 10:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »

I used to love Adult Swim, I actually don't understand the live-action stuff on it though. At all. I mean, I think it's all terrible, but that's besides the point. If it's a terrible cartoon I even get it.

It's the not-cartoon on Cartoon Network that throws me for a loop.

Also, the sex toy thing is just stupid, but some of you are clearly very, very concerned that these children be protected and that it's the businesses responsibility, not the parents, so...sign the ***'s petition, I guess?

I'm just sick of parents expecting society to form itself to their idea of ideal for their offspring.

Whatever.
This seems to be more the issue for you especially because this doesn't even effect you in the slightest... this seems to be like # 3 issue for you... god damn people with kids telling me to have kids can go *** off then you get all bitter about it lol...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-20 10:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Again. I'm not saying the kid should be watching the show or playing with the toy.

I'm just saying I'm against the mom thinking that it's anyone's responsibility but hers that her kid not be exposed.
And therefore she can make people aware that it is there and like minded people can choose to no longer purchase products at that store because of it if they feel that way.

they are in no way saying the show shouldn't have existed or that the toys shouldn't exist. They think it's a bad idea to have a toy depicting a meth dealer (and murderer) to be in plain sight of children that frequent that store often.

It shouldn't be hard to understand. You just seem to not want the parents of the world to tell you to do anything just cuz you don't want kids lol...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-20 10:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

World's Greatest Kids Brand slinging toys about a teacher who quit the job to sling drugs with a former student.

Definitely what I'd expect from a kids store.
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-10-20 10:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think she is expecting society to form itself to her idea here.

a toy shop targeting at kids have an environment that is kids friendly is probably a fair enough expectation. Just like you wouldn't expect your local day care centre to let your kids to play GTA or watch anything that may deem inappropriate for their age range.

I agree the parent has the responsibility to decide what is good/bad for their kids and they can't control every single environment their kids gets exposed to, but businesses clearly has a duty to filter out what is inappropriate if they are trying to target a certain age range.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 17 18 19