Why You Play FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why you play FFXI?
Why you play FFXI?
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 13:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nauta said: »
Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
Originally I played because it was exciting to play with people from around the world. We were able to have adventures and build relationships with other human beings striving towards similar goals. Some of my best memories of this game are from just hanging out with people and doing random stuff. For me, at least, that's all gone now. It seems like when a lot of the casual fun players left so did a lot of the fun interactions and experiences. Now most people play this game like a second job and are completely anal about everything they do. It used to be fun to experiment and play however you wanted, no one cared. Now if you try to do that you will get shunned. All about the efficiency, less about the lols/funsies.

Anyways I still play because others games feel lonely. While it's not as fun or as social as it used to be it's still comforting to know you are surrounded by people who you can interact with.

FFXI-hollic checking in! But I've found other mmos that have really piqued my interests.

Thanks for your response. it has to be efficient. For me I need at most 30 minute tree runs because I need like 300 million for daurabla 90 to 99. Other people might be making a mythic. It's driving me crazy to not have the daurabla 99 by now. Maybe once I have daurabla 99 I can slow down and enjoy the game more. Lol
That's your goal. Go for it! At least you're motivating yourself and doing something about it!

Yea a little off topic about why "some people" need efficiency rather then laugh out loud fun. One day someone said can I tag along on ranger for win. I ask what job he has. So after shuffling jobs around I have him come red Mage. Gave him instructions. Haste blind first nm enfeebled cast water on the small tree. For some reason did none of those. Due to this we took a longer on each NM and now less room for error or bad luck. Yes bad luck happened morta glitch on me can't engage and charmga a lot. Timed out on morta where it could have been a 25 to 35 minute fight maybe a full 45 minute fight because of charmga and glitch.

Yea this is lol when we tell people we timed out on morta but it's not "lol fun"

Right but there's a difference between efficiency and getting stuff done while having fun. That was just someone wasting people's time. What I am talking about is having super stressful events because everyone is not up to par or perfect in everyway. Like someone screaming profanities during tojil because they don't think the players running are perfect. I'm talking about people getting who calculate every single part of the game to the point where they get off at telling people their way of play or their weapon choice isn't efficient.

I agreed.

There's someone I know in my server that's something similar. I joined this person tojil run cause kinda want to help him get his group going because he's been shouting for a while, even get some more members to join his run. Parse 1 , for some reason was declined for future runs a few others that's good was also declined. Was pretty upset not at missing the plasm cause I can form my own group but upset I was "declined" and he was 3/6. Like an insult. I strive to be good and was decline when only 3/6 lol

Exactly! I think we might have bad experiences with the same person lol. I got yelled at for not outputting as much damage as his RME char. And he has no filter. He will just point fingers and scream "you're horrible".

Don't think so. I'm in Lakshmi. But yea that's pretty bad to say that. Suppose to be making more friends at this stage of the game.
 Asura.Slugman
Server: Asura
user: Sluggo
By Asura.Slugman 2014-10-14 13:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I seriously don't know why I still play.
Sometimes I ask that myself and I cannot find an answer.

"Because I enjoy my time in it" clearly doesn't cut it.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nauta
Server: Fenrir
user: Anjou
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-14 13:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm from lakshmi lol. I've done a lot of delve with you alices, bursto, and insph/bosso. Why can't everyone be like alice?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kaneko
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kalypso
By Quetzalcoatl.Kaneko 2014-10-14 13:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

For me it's less about fun with the game itself now, even though I love the hell out of it, and more about the time and enjoyment I have playing with my sister and brother and friends on here, cause those kinds of things are even more important these days.

The communities in the newer MMO's are pretty disgusting anyways, don't know what happened to people.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-14 13:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kaneko said: »
The communities in the newer MMO's are pretty disgusting anyways, don't know what happened to people.

It's result of the WoW content "in a silver plate" mentality. People no longer need to interact with others to achieve goals. So why bother with being nice. Being anal is more fun, no ?
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 13:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm from lakshmi lol. I've done a lot of delve with you alices, bursto, and insph/bosso. Why can't everyone be like alice?

Who are you? I don't know any nauta lol
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-10-14 13:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Why i still play ffxi:
  • Gear swapping

• Situational Gearsets

• Job system, and some subjob flexibility,especially when off soloing

• Long term goals (mythic making) + helping friends finish their mythics (nyzul token/einherjar)

• Plenty of things to do on my own if I want my own space or there is no event scheduled

• Still enjoy Crafing and hunting down hard to find items on the AH/bazaars

• collecting stuff just for /lockstyle

• I can play during jp timezone primetime and not shy about asking to join their shouts so I can do stuff like incursion etc.

All those things add up to being more than enough reason to keep playing. The last mmo I played for a long long time and really loved was everquest. All the other mmo games seem to be missing key things that make me so fond of EQ and ffxi.
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-10-14 15:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I play simply because I get bored and need my FFXI fix for the day.
[+]
 Asura.Meekriot
user: Meekriot
By Asura.Meekriot 2014-10-14 16:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

50% of the reason is the music.

Not sure of the other 50...
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 16:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meekriot said: »

Good enough lol
VIP
By Kalila 2014-10-14 16:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
Why I still play ffxi:
  • Gear swapping

• Situational Gearsets

• Job system, and some subjob flexibility,especially when off soloing

Those 3 reasons kept me playing a few more years on their own, and were really what got me to love FFXI in the first place.

It has many more positive aspects to it, though those I eventually didn't appreciate as much as I use to and weren't enough to keep me playing. The gear and class system however are to this day outstanding, and is what really makes it a great game to play.
 Fenrir.Nauta
user: Anjou
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-14 16:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meekriot said: »

East Adoulin music sounds like something Joe Hisaishi would write for a miyazaki movie
By Voren 2014-10-14 17:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my first MMO.I loved FF, started at 7 when I first got a PS1, played 7-10.

Got hooked liked a meth addict. Spent days off playing for 24 hours straight. Used vacation time from work to play for 10 days straight, only taking breaks to cook and sleep occasionally.

I've taken yet another break from 11 to play 14 where my friends went to. I'd probably still be playing 11 if those friends hadn't of left for 14.

I still come on ffxiah.com to mess around with gear sets and see what's going on. Part of me is secretly hoping 14 goes under so that only 11 is left and they update it to PS4.
[+]
 Sylph.Namonaki
Server: Sylph
user: Namonaki
By Sylph.Namonaki 2014-10-14 17:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

My linkshell; good people. They make the game even better/crazy.
Making/becoming the best WHM/BRD/GEO

Once those last options have been exhausted, i'll probably quit lol.
By fractalvoid 2014-10-14 17:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

mostly escapism.

was my first mmo though, and i have some good friends that i talk with daily which helps. the music is awesome too.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-10-14 17:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Love this game :)
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-10-14 17:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

yes it is worth it

Actually I haven't played since June, and only played for 2 months after a one-year break. As is the case with most players, I played for friends and community, which almost died after FFXIV ARR release. Even during those 2 months I recently mentioned, I only played because I had a RL friend come back, so we hung out while catching up etc. Otherwise, when I want to have fun/entertainment, I'd rather spend my time on other games/watch shows etc.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-10-14 17:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play just because I grew up on FF titles and to this day I don't know of any other game as challenging. When grinding through years of FFXI and then go to play another game, it gets decimated pretty quickly.

Too many people have forgotten how to have fun playing FFXI.
 Leviathan.Kjotu
Server: Leviathan
user: kjLotus
By Leviathan.Kjotu 2014-10-14 22:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i have fun duoing all the content with my brother

also, someone needs to play retail so that the private servers can work properly

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
It's result of the WoW content "in a silver plate" mentality. People no longer need to interact with others to achieve goals. So why bother with being nice. Being anal is more fun, no ?

i always feel bad when i'm an *** to anyone
it really does suck when i do a dungeon with people who never talk back to me, though
By Heimdel 2014-10-14 23:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

habit
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-10-14 23:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This MMO has a special place in my heart. It wasn't my first MMO, but it was the first MMO that I loved. To me, FFXI still feels like I'm playing a character in a Final Fantasy game more than FFXIV/FFXIII/FFX did, so as a fan of the series, there's that. And of course I enjoy the people that I've met through my years of playing. But most of all, I love playing with my wife. Adventuring in MMOs together was a part of our relationship from the beginning with WoW, but once I showed her Final Fantasy XI she fell in love with the game just as I had years before. Accomplishing our goals together satisfies me. There's no way I'd be able to do this stuff all by myself.

It's a shame that our server has been a bit dead lately. That plus in-game drama has drug us down. I hope for a server merge to make things lively again!
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-10-14 23:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

my health is ***so stuck in doors a lot + all the friends through the years
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-10-15 00:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
my health is ***so stuck in doors a lot + all the friends through the years
I know the feeling all to well.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-10-15 00:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kaneko said: »

People have always been like this I fear.

That's just how humans are. Just look at the "pro players" that are rising to fame in the past few years. The huge majority of them are bad mannered people, so much that when someone is being polite the dude is praised as a hero.

It's not even about the new generation, it's just how humans are in general. We just see the negative easily, especially when it's the norm. Games aren't to blame, only the players.
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-10-15 00:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, in no particular order...this...

...and probably a little of this...

...and maybe admittedly some of this...

[+]
By Fasaga 2014-10-15 00:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

To make obscene amounts of Gil, and then spend it all. Also, to collect as many white boxes as possible.
[+]
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2014-10-15 03:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I play to spend time with the greatest ppl i know.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2014-10-15 03:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the longest time just trying for all relics for jobs id never use just for ffxiah points lol long since quit that and the game
 Bahamut.Miemo
Server: Bahamut
user: Miemo
By Bahamut.Miemo 2014-10-15 03:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all about the blue numbers!

[+]