Why You Play FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why you play FFXI?
Why you play FFXI?
First Page 2 3
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 10:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread for people who still play.
Why you play ffxi? What motivates you to play ffxi? Besides it's s good game.

I play for a few reasons. For friends, and it saves me money from using my time to do other things. Another reason is to be useful and to outparse you. Yes it seems like work collecting 1500 heavy metals but once its done I have something only a few have.

It's my kinda fun to compete with the dds or be a good support and good white Mage cure you on point right after a big tp move from bosses.

What about you? Why you play? Share!
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-10-14 10:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
it saves me money from using my time to do other things.
This

I play... I wish I knew why. This is the only thing that I "tolerate", since I hate everything, I hate this the least. And I have some so called "goals" to still obtain, a couple relics left, a mythic, and 2 emps. I play, because they haven't banned me yet. A lot of it is also obligation.

Airrin said: »
I have an addiction...
Hello, my name is Valli and I'm an ffxioholic.

I know them feels. Srs. (at times)
By Airrin 2014-10-14 10:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an addiction...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-10-14 10:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Over the years, the reason I've played has changed. Typically, I play to escape the frustrations of real life. But anyone who knows drama in this game, knows it can be just as frustrating as well. I find myself more and more just chatting within the game now vs doing events. Sad because I wanna do more events but I get on so late now cuz of real life, most ppl are either finishing up events or doing their own thing. I don't have a lot of goals left in the game honestly. I try to help out here and there. But it's constant battle between real life schedules and what not.

But if I'm on, I'll respond and I'll do events. Otherwise, I'm reading forums more often than I am playing. /sadface

EDIT: I too am a FFXI-holic. {Nice to meet you.}
 Fenrir.Nauta
Server: Fenrir
user: Anjou
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-14 11:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Originally I played because it was exciting to play with people from around the world. We were able to have adventures and build relationships with other human beings striving towards similar goals. Some of my best memories of this game are from just hanging out with people and doing random stuff. For me, at least, that's all gone now. It seems like when a lot of the casual fun players left so did a lot of the fun interactions and experiences. Now most people play this game like a second job and are completely anal about everything they do. It used to be fun to experiment and play however you wanted, no one cared. Now if you try to do that you will get shunned. All about the efficiency, less about the lols/funsies.

Anyways I still play because others games feel lonely. While it's not as fun or as social as it used to be it's still comforting to know you are surrounded by people who you can interact with.

FFXI-hollic checking in! But I've found other mmos that have really piqued my interests.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-10-14 11:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

1. To be rich;
2. To be strong.

*rich in gil terms, not rmt.
Also i have a plan of playing, that i made quite some time ago. Im glad i have been lately progress steadly and at good pace. My plans were daurdabla > ochain > ghorn > aegis > 4 songs > mythic. I had some detour do make yoichi and anni, but currently im back to 4 songs plans, and that will take a couple of time, as well the mythic one, as im already 1+ month that i dont do assaults (currently 5/50 pos captain). So, i have quite some stuffs to do still.

Also i went back to complete a couple of story lines. Recently i finished toau and wotg, and i really enjoyed the storylines, being wotg the one i enjoyed the most. Now i need to wait soa finish so i can restart soa missions.

Also recently i started crafting. Atm at lv67 gold, just accumulating gp to buy the apron and the stall, and hoping another double skill up to give more a jump. That hobby will force me, at some point, in legion to farm ormulu ingots.

Once i finish my plans, probably i will spend at least a couple of weeks just farming cash. If i cant find a reason to accumulate gil after toy are done, probably i will just quit. But i have at least some 6 months of busy play.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-14 11:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing else to do as a NEET. Haven't even been playing much lately, though. I log on to do Assaults/Einherjar and that's it since one of our core members is having payment 401 issues. :/
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 11:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nauta said: »
Originally I played because it was exciting to play with people from around the world. We were able to have adventures and build relationships with other human beings striving towards similar goals. Some of my best memories of this game are from just hanging out with people and doing random stuff. For me, at least, that's all gone now. It seems like when a lot of the casual fun players left so did a lot of the fun interactions and experiences. Now most people play this game like a second job and are completely anal about everything they do. It used to be fun to experiment and play however you wanted, no one cared. Now if you try to do that you will get shunned. All about the efficiency, less about the lols/funsies.

Anyways I still play because others games feel lonely. While it's not as fun or as social as it used to be it's still comforting to know you are surrounded by people who you can interact with.

FFXI-hollic checking in! But I've found other mmos that have really piqued my interests.

Thanks for your response. it has to be efficient. For me I need at most 30 minute tree runs because I need like 300 million for daurabla 90 to 99. Other people might be making a mythic. It's driving me crazy to not have the daurabla 99 by now. Maybe once I have daurabla 99 I can slow down and enjoy the game more. Lol
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-14 11:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause I like it.

If why I started it was cause it's a FF, I didn't even know what a mmo was then.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-10-14 11:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

1) It was an FF
2) My real life friend played too (he never took a job past 50)
3) I keep playing because of my in game friends
4) and I get some enjoyment out of it.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-14 11:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I'm addicted to fantasy worlds because when they said "you can be whatever you want when you grow up", they lied.

This just happens to be the one in which I spend most of my time.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-10-14 11:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for your response. it has to be efficient. For me I need at most 30 minute tree runs because I need like 300 million for daurabla 90 to 99. Other people might be making a mythic. It's driving me crazy to not have the daurabla 99 by now. Maybe once I have daurabla 99 I can slow down and enjoy the game more. Lol
That's your goal. Go for it! At least you're motivating yourself and doing something about it!
By Zoltar 2014-10-14 11:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

1.) I genuinely like the look and feel of the game

2.) I have that type of personality where "I gotta get the best stuffz"

3.) I enjoy talking to the people I play the game with
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2014-10-14 12:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's fun.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 12:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »

That's your goal. Go for it! At least you're motivating yourself and doing something about it!

Yea a little off topic about why "some people" need efficiency rather then laugh out loud fun. One day someone said can I tag along on ranger for win. I ask what job he has. So after shuffling jobs around I have him come red Mage. Gave him instructions. Haste blind first nm enfeebled cast water on the small tree. For some reason did none of those. Due to this we took a longer on each NM and now less room for error or bad luck. Yes bad luck happened morta glitch on me can't engage and charmga a lot. Timed out on morta where it could have been a 25 to 35 minute fight maybe a full 45 minute fight because of charmga and glitch.

Yea this is lol when we tell people we timed out on morta but it's not "lol fun"
By faye 2014-10-14 12:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It's the only MMO I have ever really been able to get into. I only play to have fun... I have a busy life sometimes so I have no desire to be the best anymore. I have a lot of fun doing things with my ls, leveling, and doing quests/missions.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 12:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Zoltar said: »
1.) I genuinely like the look and feel of the game

2.) I have that type of personality where "I gotta get the best stuffz"

3.) I enjoy talking to the people I play the game with

Good response for 2 lol
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-10-14 12:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I seriously don't know why I still play.
Sometimes I ask that myself and I cannot find an answer.

"Because I enjoy my time in it" clearly doesn't cut it.
By Zoltar 2014-10-14 12:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most of us who still play have 1-3 jobs that we really, really like and love to play.

To add to my previous input, I'm really sucked in by several jobs and their ability to make the game fun and interesting to me.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-14 12:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually actively avoided this game for a while because I was particularly anti-social when I was younger and was really pissed off that they ruined Final Fantasy by putting one online.

It wasn't until early 2005 that I gave it a try. I've been playing ever since. I've had a few short breaks. Usually a month to play other things or just deal with life but I haven't found anything else that's kept my attention for any duration.

There is a draw to this game that makes it different than any other MMO or even game in general. Gear swapping is probably the biggest thing. It lets people like myself who obsess over things have so many little details to manage.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-14 12:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I actually actively avoided this game for a while because I was particularly anti-social when I was younger and was really pissed off that they ruined Final Fantasy by putting one online.

Swore I would never play it just for that reason.

Lasted all of a couple months. The only real break I've ever taken was the forced one following the tsunami.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nauta
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-14 12:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea a little off topic about why "some people" need efficiency rather then laugh out loud fun. One day someone said can I tag along on ranger for win. I ask what job he has. So after shuffling jobs around I have him come red Mage. Gave him instructions. Haste blind first nm enfeebled cast water on the small tree. For some reason did none of those. Due to this we took a longer on each NM and now less room for error or bad luck. Yes bad luck happened morta glitch on me can't engage and charmga a lot. Timed out on morta where it could have been a 25 to 35 minute fight maybe a full 45 minute fight because of charmga and glitch.

Yea this is lol when we tell people we timed out on morta but it's not "lol fun"

Right but there's a difference between efficiency and getting stuff done while having fun. That was just someone wasting people's time. What I am talking about is having super stressful events because everyone is not up to par or perfect in everyway. Like someone screaming profanities during tojil because they don't think the players running are perfect. I'm talking about people getting who calculate every single part of the game to the point where they get off at telling people their way of play or their weapon choice isn't efficient.
By greebo 2014-10-14 12:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I just can't find another MMO I enjoy as much, mainly. Tried reviving some other games I played, most bored me to tears, or I was just generally dissatisfied with the influence of WoW 'handholding' that is prevalent in a lot of newer MMO's.

I had been playing on EQMac prior to coming back to FFXI for some of that old school MMO flavor, but that server was shut down by SOE. All in all, FFXI is a fun game with no shortage of things to do, so it was an easy decision to make.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-14 12:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Right but there's a difference between efficiency and getting stuff done while having fun. That was just someone wasting people's time. What I am talking about is having super stressful events because everyone is not up to par or perfect in everyway. Like someone screaming profanities during tojil because they don't think the players running are perfect. I'm talking about people getting who calculate every single part of the game to the point where they get off at telling people their way of play or their weapon choice isn't efficient.

I agreed.

There's someone I know in my server that's something similar. I joined this person tojil run cause kinda want to help him get his group going because he's been shouting for a while, even get some more members to join his run. Parse 1 , for some reason was declined for future runs a few others that's good was also declined. Was pretty upset not at missing the plasm cause I can form my own group but upset I was "declined" and he was 3/6. Like an insult. I strive to be good and was decline when only 3/6 lol
By Ramyrez 2014-10-14 12:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

greebo said: »
I just can't find another MMO I enjoy as much, mainly. Tried reviving some other games I played, most bored me to tears, or I was just generally dissatisfied with the influence of WoW 'handholding' that is prevalent in a lot of newer MMO's.

I had been playing on EQMac prior to coming back to FFXI for some of that old school MMO flavor, but that server was shut down by SOE. All in all, FFXI is a fun game with no shortage of things to do, so it was an easy decision to make.

Big Trouble in Little China avatar.

Approved!
 Fenrir.Nauta
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-14 13:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I agreed.

There's someone I know in my server that's something similar. I joined this person tojil run cause kinda want to help him get his group going because he's been shouting for a while, even get some more members to join his run. Parse 1 , for some reason was declined for future runs a few others that's good was also declined. Was pretty upset not at missing the plasm cause I can form my own group but upset I was "declined" and he was 3/6. Like an insult. I strive to be good and was decline when only 3/6 lol

Exactly! I think we might have bad experiences with the same person lol. I got yelled at for not outputting as much damage as his RME char. And he has no filter. He will just point fingers and scream "you're horrible".
By Ramyrez 2014-10-14 13:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly! I think we might have bad experiences with the same person lol. I got yelled at for not outputting as much damage as his RME char. And he has no filter. He will just point fingers and scream "you're horrible".

This type of personality has always been quite well-represented in Vana'diel. And probably always will be.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-10-14 13:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I play for the purple pick stick of godless nightmare , i.e. Kikoku.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-10-14 13:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't. HAH!
By Ramyrez 2014-10-14 13:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
I don't. HAH!
[+]