Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-09-07 00:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
it's got several faults that work against it

Only faults SAM has is not having means to self heal or shed hate. That's it.

It's okay, i'm sure they'll get a Job Point category next update that converts 1% of ws damage dealt into HP healed, so 10-30% of ws damage will heal them. Then they'll make Blade Bash erase all their hate and set to a 30s recast. Samurai Fantasy XI.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-07 00:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Quote:

It's okay, i'm sure they'll get a Job Point category next update that converts 1% of ws damage dealt into HP healed, so 10-30% of ws damage will heal them. Then they'll make Blade Bash erase all their hate and set to a 30s recast. Samurai Fantasy XI.
I mean it has other faults, but very few of them actually matter right now. It's not that strongest for PD zerging, doesn't lend itself to /run or /nin well, doesn't have formless to be used on things like Craklaw in foret, no AoE WS if that would ever matter. For current content though Sam is well suited and while other jobs can come decently close to rivaling their actual damage, the SC damage Sam puts out is just absurd and makes the job too good.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2014-09-07 01:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Quote:

you forgot about auto-Zanshin on WSs, so when they miss they get 1000 tp return
[+]
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-09-07 01:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Was there ever a time where everybody was happy with the state of this game? I don't think so. Making everybody happy is impossible.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-07 01:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tamoa said: »
Was there ever a time where everybody was happy with the state of this game? I don't think so. Making everybody happy is impossible.

When I apply this philosophy to life people consider me an ***, but yet it is still true.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-09-07 01:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
doesn't lend itself to /run or /nin well, doesn't have formless to be used on things like Craklaw in foret, no AoE WS if that would ever matter. For current content though Sam is well suited and while other jobs can come decently close to rivaling their actual damage, the SC damage Sam puts out is just absurd and makes the job too good.

Just curious, what's so bad about SAM/RUN?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-07 02:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Asura.Failaras said: »
doesn't lend itself to /run or /nin well, doesn't have formless to be used on things like Craklaw in foret, no AoE WS if that would ever matter. For current content though Sam is well suited and while other jobs can come decently close to rivaling their actual damage, the SC damage Sam puts out is just absurd and makes the job too good.

Just curious, what's so bad about SAM/RUN?
It's not that it is so bad, just that /run is used to break shields and having both hands hit from a Mnk or DWing job is better for that than a single wielder.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-07 02:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Consider how many people used to play the game vs how many play today, and it should be clear that while there were always people who weren't entirely happy with the game, the majority of people were happier pre-soa. Also, those that stayed are obviously the ones who were more accepting of SoA, as most others quit. The game's success has taken a major setback as a direct result of SoA.
[+]
 Asura.Voidwolf
user: Voidwolf
By Asura.Voidwolf 2014-09-07 02:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

[Cry] [You can have this]
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-07 02:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, not taking that guy seriously at all.
By Voren 2014-09-07 02:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

SE will eventually nerf certain fights as they've done in the past making AA/DM2 more accessible for all jobs.

It'll happen when those that have the sought after jobs that are geared properly have all the gear they want from the fights and have moved on to something else.

If you will remember the taru LB fight was pretty bad when it first came out. Using the item that now stuns him use to make him run around making it impossible for DD to hit. They nerfed his dmg, def, and made that item stun him where you can zerg him to death.

The game has something for everyone, and if you can't find something then there's always other games to play.
[+]
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-09-07 02:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
Consider how many people used to play the game vs how many play today, and it should be clear that while there were always people who weren't entirely happy with the game, the majority of people were happier pre-soa. Also, those that stayed are obviously the ones who were more accepting of SoA, as most others quit. The game's success has taken a major setback as a direct result of SoA.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all - I mean, I myself quit after the introduction of ilvl gear, and I honestly did not think I'd come back. SE has made some major mistakes that p**sed off a great deal of players, including Abyssea/raising the level cap. I'm aware Abyssea also brought back some that had already quit, but a lot were unhappy about it too. And that's my point exactly, no matter what SE does there will always be some players that aren't happy with the changes - although none quite as bad as ilvl gear and making R/E/Ms gimp though.

I'm pretty sure though, that even if the game had been left untouched as far as level cap and ilvl gear go, there would still have been a steady decline in player numbers. And a lot of people were unhappy back at 75 cap too, those that couldn't get into a decent endgame linkshell for whatever reason for example. However, what the game would be like today if the level cap hadn't been raised, that's anybody's guess really.

Where am I going with this? I guess I'm just trying to point out the fact that there's always been aspects about XI that made a number of people unhappy. It really IS impossible to make everybody happy. But I don't see the point in making forum posts whining about it (with the exception of the s**tstorm that hit the OF after R/E/Ms were made useless). If you're that unhappy with the game, then quit. Otherwise put up with the things you dislike, and enjoy the things you do like.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-09-07 03:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

REM being gimped made for an amazing delve launch though. you cant deny that early delve wasnt fun lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-07 03:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see why anyone would complain about how easy it is to get around with the HP warps and such nowadays. If it's too easy to get around, find another way that's more enjoyable to you. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use the easy way. I've been playing since '04, and I do not miss how long it took to get around back then.
[+]
By Voren 2014-09-07 03:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
REM being gimped made for an amazing delve launch though. you cant deny that early delve wasnt fun lol.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but at launch REM was the only way to get into a delve shout unless you were a healer or support.
By Artemicion 2014-09-07 03:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I must be a total weirdo for continuing to play this game for the sake of what it is as an entity, more so than the byproduct of degregating social and gameplay aspects.

I play because Vana'diel is and has been my home away from home for over a decade. It's where I lose myself in it's environments, music, story and plethora of classes, even if they're twice-told at this point. Silly how sentiments can so easily enable me to overlook and neglect the obvious shortcomings that have occurred over the years, but as long as there's zones to explore, stories to be told, and complexities added to existing classes, I'll likely play until they close shop.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-07 04:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like somebody needs to see a shrink.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2014-09-07 04:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, we could always go back to the days of this

RIP headphone users.
[+]
By Afania 2014-09-07 04:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »
I'm the coolest kid in town because I don't rant and I watch everyone else rants

You mean ppl who waste time reading a video game forum rant and need to find a legit reason to feel he is better than others.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-07 04:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Well, we could always go back to the days of this

RIP headphone users.
At least it's not this:

http://youtu.be/rsw5ul6h4NM
YouTube Video Placeholder

Naw, people who cling to pixels and cry when they are turned obsolete need to see a shrink imo. Haha
perhaps, but I can say for certainty that I'd have you put in for an evaluation.
[+]
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-09-07 04:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I also hope that they delay the update of REM once they push the ilevel up again, those that flare up and get hot headed over something so silly make me so happy. That rage and those tears were so enjoyable to see unfold.

So you're saying you're perfectly fine with SE making another decision that's likely to make people quit in droves again? You don't think that would be a bad thing for those that stay, and the game as a whole?...
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-09-07 06:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems lately, as the game changes so does the mentality of some of the players.

I still love FFXI but something's gotta change whether its SE that needs to do something to make more jobs inviteable and welcomed to more content other then WKR or SKCNMs and for more non REM players like myself not to be forced to unlock a ws or a weapon just to get invited. Or just the players themselves that need to change their mentality and attitude.
 Odin.Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-09-07 07:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering just how much easier everything is today, including making R/E/Ms and also obtaining empyrean weaponskills, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect a samurai to have Fudo - just as an example. As for accuracy - you actually need a good amount to be able to do higher difficulty content. Otherwise you're pretty much dead weight.

One thing that does irk me though, is how so many people think having (relic) rngs only is the only way to go when doing AA/DMII. But whatever, if my sam's not wanted I can always go whm. :D
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-07 07:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Naw, people who cling to pixels and cry when they are turned obsolete need to see a shrink imo. Haha
The pixels or the virtual weapons to which you refer are attained through an investment of time and effort.

While the pixels have little to no intrinsic value, they are in high demand, thus making them valuable.

Economics isn't a physical science. As long as people perceive things to be valuable, they will hold value. If you find this strange I would suggest you read up on basic economics, currency and bartering.

That credit card or paper money in your wallet, do you think it holds any intrinsic value? Its a placeholder for energy. The same can be said of R/E/M and other gear within a virtual economy.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2014-09-07 09:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said:
The pixels or the virtual weapons to which you refer are attained through an investment of time and effort.

While the pixels have little to no intrinsic value, they are in high demand, thus making them valuable.

Economics isn't a physical science. As long as people perceive things to be valuable, they will hold value. If you find this strange I would suggest you read up on basic economics, currency and bartering.

That credit card or paper money in your wallet, do you think it holds any intrinsic value? Its a placeholder for energy. The same can be said of R/E/M and other gear within a virtual economy.

Well said in slight other news yes there are things about ffxi that can be much better sure what I don't think will make it better is content so that people can bring PUP BSTs DNCs and RUNs to fact is while SAM might be the primary choice for DD to play atm it's just a flavor of the month kinda like how Abyssea was more MNK and WAR oriented back to DDs or dps in general most players (the good ones left anyways) do not care if you play WAR SAM DRG MNK w.e as long as you can reliably deliver that said dps amount to clear w.e content your doing that goes for VW Delve Skirmish etc
[+]
 Odin.Godmode
user: Tyseng
By Odin.Godmode 2014-09-07 09:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I am actually starting to enjoy the game again. Here is my ***/praise list. Quite short but I don't want to spend too much of my day talking about it so here are the main ones.

***:
- Most Relics are subpar to other weapons (although I don't have a relic I empathize with those that do.)
- I enjoyed non-instanced longer-fights fights like Tiamat. New HNM would be nice. (So we can *** about claiming.) ;) We just have MNM and Delve now for the most part for end game--both of which are instanced.
- The way they use Item Level, D3 has a better system for that, I don't care for choosing iLevel items over old ones just because of the STR/DEX/etc boosts. Remember Haub > all before E. Body anyone? That wasn't a Lv. 75 item. Now it's all about the 119.

Praise:
- A lot of the new content is challenging. (Although mostly because of time limits, not because of endurance.)
- Homepoint warping, maybe there could have done something where you have to be a certain level to use it like OP warps though?

Things I'd like to see:
- New tiered battle system like VW
- New end game area only accessible by tougher mission battles, like sea used to be.
[+]
 Phoenix.Upbeatglitch
Server: Phoenix
user: Upbeat
By Phoenix.Upbeatglitch 2014-09-07 09:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I'd love to see more content geared around the lower levels in game. More 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 75 cap events that drop essential crafting mats, alex, random upgrade items or something of that nature since gear at those levels isn't exactly appealing for most people. Nowadays most people forget there's a whole other 98 levels in the game. SE is very linear with their updates, never really going back to release content focused for the lower levels that are indeed still very fun. Not to mention it opens up new options for all jobs to get some actual use: PUP destroys at 10 cap, BLU owns 30 cap, NIN at 40 cap. Basically SE has set up the game so we only use 1 level the entire game.(Outside of the day it takes to go 1~99) More capped BCNMs could even do the trick.

Would also love to see the reintroduction of HNMs or just more NMs in general. Time spawn/world spawn HNMs always get hated on, you can't deny HNMs brought the whole server and other servers together in a much deeper way than what's possible now.

In an era of ??? pops and instanced fights, things are kinda, well, slow lol. HNM days seemed like there was always some new amazing thing being talked about, maybe just because I was younger and more interested back then, or it just gave the game a much deeper sense of mystery; When's X going to spawn? who's going to get claim? X is up, quick! {Gather Together}. Will the new LS on the block wipe to X? Will ridill finally drop today??
[+]