Little facts to help you suck less
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-07-23 16:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You can definitely bring dancer to Delve1. I ran Foret on Monday with my ls (snuck in, sorry guys, lol) and did ok damage. Maybe 70-80% as much damage as the lowest monk, and 55-65% as much as the highest DDs (samurai, mythic warrior), but our LS DDs are much better than the average pickup DD. My damage was held back quite a bit by keeping up steps and Samba, so I consider my performance to be adequate enough for a successful run.

Ramuh.Kailana said: »
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
please don't try to defend path a tinhaspa, you're embarassing yourself

Path A is fine for a monk that uses the job to, say, farm Salvage, or for puppetmaster, who is really only useful on fodder. It's not ideal for other stuff but when you have situations where Path B's accuracy does nothing, Tinhaspa Path A are better than Oatixtur.

I use path A almost full-time. 92% acc without trying too hard on VD tenzen. Path B would be overkill most of the time. STill going to make them for those holyshitevasive mobs, but unless your support sucks, a decent mnk build with solid buffs is going to do fine.

If you're farming salvage I would use those OaT Maowhatever 115 wkr h2hs.

Oooh good point.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-07-23 16:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Personal opinion on how to manage use of both SAM one-hours. Might seem a tad obvious but best way to take advantage of damage when you might get interrupted doing a 4-5 step light SC either from another DD or stuns from monsters is to pop Yaegasumi then wait till around the 15 second mark of it being active to use Meikyo Shisui. After your first WS use meditate and ride that doing WS when possible. Af2 feet reforged is great for this as well as the job points into Meikyo Shisui for SC damage. Can really see some entertaining(epeen) numbers for the SC damage now since the adjustment.

Fudo to Fudo
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2014-07-23 17:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Invest in Panacea. Most WHM can't erase/sacrifice everyone at once; using Panacea to remove Slow or Attack Down in a critical fight will not only help your DPS, your stressed out WHM will be grateful too.
[+]
By Nyruul 2014-07-23 17:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

BRDs!!

Terpender and Daurdabla are great! But these are not instruments you put your intended songs up with. Ghorn is amazing! But it's understandable if you do not want to put in the effort for it. BUT at the least get an eminent flute for +2 all songs (there are some instruments that give +3 to specific songs)

For your extra songs you want to cast with the Terpender or Daurdabla(after the first 2 songs) using a short duration song without duration gear on(ex. Shining Fantasia) Then with it being the lowest duration song currently up the next song you cast on your flute or w.e will overwrite that song. Its called dummy songs and I have seen 4 song BRDs who dont even do this and it is painful...

DDs!!

don't expect all BRDs to not know this and don't run off on start buffs after the third song, especially if its a song like shining fantasia(However I do understand some DDs are limited to the thought process of KILL KILL KILL)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Exavion
user: Aladriel
By Ragnarok.Exavion 2014-07-23 17:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the distance plugin and be mindful of your ranges.

21' yalms is the max casting range for magic and often times boss fights require mages to stay 20 yalms. This means you should try to fight lateral to your White Mage whenever possible. Fighting on the furthest possible side of the hitbox usually means you are out of range of heals/everything aside from a group curaga. If you are getting knocked back try to re-adjust to a reasonable position soon afterwards.

Yes the mages can and will adjust as well but it delays casts and is sometimes just dangerous. Fights like shark delve you can't expect a white mage to run in past the 20' and can easily wipe not paying attention to small details like this.

Also this apparently needs to be said... Bards stop casting barspells! You don't have the skill to make it worthwhile and it overwrites the White mage spell at a lower skill level.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-07-23 17:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bariman said: »
DNC is probably one of the best party DDs around with haste samba (10% JA haste for everyone) and box step (def-5 up to 13% when fully stacked and stacks with other defense downs) on top of being an SC machine.
I would disagree with this, I think that at 75 Dnc was really good and it was a shame people didn't use them much, but at 99 it's so easy to cap haste now.

43% Magic Haste is super easy to get now with Haste 2/Geo Haste/Not ***brds.

25% Gear Haste, unlike at 75 it's not really possible to drop gear haste for more damage as almost every ilvl piece has haste.

That leaves 12% JA haste, Samurai caps this with Hasso+AF hands. Dark Knight overcaps this with Desperate Blows. Warrior gets Hasso which is almost capping it. And a Cor/dnc alone can provide a 5% JA Haste buff through his Samba, which is enough to cap non-Sam Hasso jobs. Most of the time Haste Samba is going to be pretty wasted honestly.

Their steps are pretty eh, not worth the spot and can be somewhat recreated with the Cor/dnc I mentioned earlier.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2014-07-23 17:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire said: »
Fudo to Fudo

Multiple step skillchains are a beautiful thing:

[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-07-23 18:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Bariman said: »
DNC is probably one of the best party DDs around with haste samba (10% JA haste for everyone) and box step (def-5 up to 13% when fully stacked and stacks with other defense downs) on top of being an SC machine.
I would disagree with this, I think that at 75 Dnc was really good and it was a shame people didn't use them much, but at 99 it's so easy to cap haste now.

43% Magic Haste is super easy to get now with Haste 2/Geo Haste/Not ***brds.

25% Gear Haste, unlike at 75 it's not really possible to drop gear haste for more damage as almost every ilvl piece has haste.

That leaves 12% JA haste, Samurai caps this with Hasso+AF hands. Dark Knight overcaps this with Desperate Blows. Warrior gets Hasso which is almost capping it. And a Cor/dnc alone can provide a 5% JA Haste buff through his Samba, which is enough to cap non-Sam Hasso jobs. Most of the time Haste Samba is going to be pretty wasted honestly.

Their steps are pretty eh, not worth the spot and can be somewhat recreated with the Cor/dnc I mentioned earlier.

Not to mention the handful of jobs that dual wield. It's not as good as Haste Samba, but the difference isn't big enough to warrant taking a DNC over another buff job.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-07-23 18:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
Asura.Loire said: »
Fudo to Fudo

Multiple step skillchains are a beautiful thing:

Aye, in context to the rest of the post it was more when with another DD.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-07-23 20:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunder/Jupiter's Staff doesn't affect ranged attacks and should not be used on Ranger.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-07-23 20:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Thunder/Jupiter's Staff doesn't affect ranged attacks and should not be used on Ranger.

In regards to this, where was the testing for it? I keep seeing everyone saying seiryu's augs don't either, as well as arguments about fencer.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-07-23 20:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Seiryu's should work. It's pretty much just weapons from the 75 era that don't work.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-07-23 20:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Invest in Panacea. Most WHM can't erase/sacrifice everyone at once; using Panacea to remove Slow or Attack Down in a critical fight will not only help your DPS, your stressed out WHM will be grateful too.
I have enough money to where I'm buying riverfin soup instead of sushi; so may as well keep a stack or two of these on me as well. Good looking out
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-07-23 20:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Seiryu's should work. It's pretty much just weapons from the 75 era that don't work.

That... didn't answer the question, was there actual testing, or just listening to one guy who started playing telephone? It'd be pretty obvious, wouldn't even take 100 shots. Curious as to if it was ever done, and for what reason it wouldn't work if it doesn't.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-07-24 02:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

While I do agree with you, if the WHM subs /SCH you have Accession to Erase all in range. Sadly doesn't help Sacrifice (at least not to my knowledge) but that solves the Erase issue at least a little. But yes, I agree that players should invest in Panaceas to help the whms out.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-07-24 03:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

While it won't increase your performance, it will help you save a little bit of gil. Get the double food duration from santion, use your food, then homepoint to the appropriate buff giver (signet/ionis,) before events.
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2014-07-24 04:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I am missing something about accuracy on monk? What event do you take monk to that requires a bucket of acc from B path tinhaspa?
By Pantafernando 2014-07-24 04:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Marmite said: »
I am missing something about accuracy on monk? What event do you take monk to that requires a bucket of acc from B path tinhaspa?

Anything above 119.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2014-07-24 04:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Might sound obvious but also invest in Holy waters for anything that has doom. To rely on a WHM or other mage to spam CURSNA is foolish. Also do invest in multiple stacks since it's possible being unlucky and using up a whole stack without any effect.

A perfect WHM Cursna set at the moment looks like this:

2x Haoma's Ring = +15% each
Theophany Pantaloons = +15%
Hieros Mittens = +10%
Debilis Medallion = +15%
Gende. Galoshes = +10%
Mending Cape = +10% (?)

This is a +90% chance of Cursna Removal but will only multiply your base chance. So if a WHM has 25% base chance of removal without any gear, he will have a 47.5% chance with perfect gear. With NQ AH gear and not getting R EX Gloves from Meeble only a 41.25% chance.

These chances are much lower than might be suspected at first.

There also is Curna recieved gear, but if you use that you already seem to know what you are doing.

Bismarck.Marmite said: »

For current highlevel battlefields on Difficult+, dho/woh CP parties 920~ ACC without Ionis and Food is suggested. With enough ACC you can use Meat for a big boost in ATK compared to the small amount of ACC Sushi provides. There also is a plethora of multiattack gear to bring down your ACC even further if you wish to do so. I do not view Riverfin Soup as a food for every day FFXI life.
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2014-07-24 04:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Which would be delve 2 and VD battlefields? Delve 2 take a ranger or a slashing job (depending on zone). So that leaves VD battlefields, which not everyone does.

So you see, B path isn't for everyone.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2014-07-24 04:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »

While I do agree with you, if the WHM subs /SCH you have Accession to Erase all in range. Sadly doesn't help Sacrifice (at least not to my knowledge) but that solves the Erase issue at least a little. But yes, I agree that players should invest in Panaceas to help the whms out.

But then the whitemage uses afflatus misery and esunas the stats off so..... you don't need accession...

WHM pro tip learn how these work and under what conditions and you will be loved by your dd forever.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2014-07-24 05:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
But then the whitemage uses afflatus misery and esunas the stats off so..... you don't need accession... WHM pro tip learn how these work and under what conditions and you will be loved by your dd forever.

But you need to have slow on you to esuna slow for everyone and you lose the stoneskin effect after cure (right ?)

And simple thing too :
- You put haste partner like BRD => 2 DD, haste partner can erase too if they come /whm

And just one thing, before try to not suck ... Have fun on what you do !
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-07-24 05:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Can sacrifice the slow off a DD first before you esuna if you weren't caught by it.

Unless it is spammed and you need to be in misery full time you can just go back to solace and get cureskin again.

In situations where you need to sacrifice multiple DDs, celerity is your friend!
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-07-24 06:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
I do not view Riverfin Soup as a food for every day FFXI life.
Poppin plates all day erry day up in hurr
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2014-07-24 06:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Psylo said: »
Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
But then the whitemage uses afflatus misery and esunas the stats off so..... you don't need accession... WHM pro tip learn how these work and under what conditions and you will be loved by your dd forever.

But you need to have slow on you to esuna slow for everyone and you lose the stoneskin effect after cure (right ?)

And simple thing too :
- You put haste partner like BRD => 2 DD, haste partner can erase too if they come /whm

And just one thing, before try to not suck ... Have fun on what you do !

The point is... you sacrifice the dd to get slow on you.... then esuna...
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-07-24 06:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

It is not a matter of either the COR or the tank being "lazy". If you're COR and you are hitting with /ra and WS, you are building CE with every shot (and building it a hell of a lot faster than a RNG with tools like Decoy, Coronach, Annihilator, lots of enm- on good 119 gear). When you cap CE, you will pull hate. Don't blame the tank... blame the COR who wants to be a RNG.

On fights that don't take a long time, sure, shoot away. You won't hit enmity cap before the mob dies. On many longer difficult fights where a ranged damage strategy is employed (and hate control is often very important), mob lives long enough that you will eventually hit the cap. This isn't about player skill, it's pure enmity mechanics.

P.S. - perhaps this all changes with future updates addressing enmity system further.

Yes it is, if you're a PLD using wrong SJ or not having proper enmity+ build, you build enmity slower.

If you're a COR not using proper SJ(/DRG) or not having proper enmity- build, you build enmity faster.

Further more, every AA in DM2 die in like 3 min, you can use 1 HJ on every AA, compare with all other /ra events, DM2 is least likely to pull hate.

I never *** understand the "if you'er a COR you shouldn't /ra in DM cuz you gonna pull hate" logic. I specifically don't understand the "if ranged attacker pull hate, it's not PLD's fault. If COR pulls hate, it's because the COR is DDing" logic. Why is it never PLD's fault that DD pulls hate? Maybe PLD failed to build CE fast enough? Why is it the job's fault, instead of the player, if the player pulled hate?

It seems that you're advocating "don't /ra" because you've pulled hate before, and it's less about playing optimally. And you blamed everything on the job, instead of PLD and COR's(and other hate control DD in ally like THF RNG) effort on hate control.

If you pull hate, maybe you should ask questions below:

Was your PLD playing properly? Some PLD don't cast CE spell, for real.

How much enmity- do you have in TP/WS gears? If you're not reaching the cap then you have room to improve.

Did you WS right after pull? You shouldn't.

Are you subbing DRG? This SJ is pretty job changing for /ra situation, IMO.

Note that I've done several DM2 with PUG, I've never pull hate in this particular event(it's actually easier to pull hate in single AA BC or kamir if not using WF). I've done without /DRG and still didn't pull hate(while outparsing 2 RNGs in the ally - -). I have ls mate outparsed all of the relic RNG in DM D on none relic RNG and still didn't pull hate. Everytime when I see RNG pulled hate in DM, it usually happened within 3 sec after pull because they WS/barrage at start.

Exactly why shouldn't you /ra in DM?

Oh and btw, /RDM on COR is beyond lol. WHM and BRD can do it, or get a real RDM. It's not a good excuse at all.

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
You can sub drg as cor for that and use WF.

True enough. If COR ranged damage is what you're going for, /DRG it up for jumps. I personally find more use out of something like /RDM and flurry the RNGs in a ranged strat.

I'm not saying COR should never DD. COR/DNC is fantastic any time melee is an option. I've just seen too many /WAR /RNG /NIN in a situation that calls for enmity control who end up pulling hate because they wanted to prove they could shoot. I've done it myself, and I learned...

I wasn't talking about melee strat, I was talking about /ra strat specifically. I've see ppl saying "COR shouldn't ra because of hate" over and over again. Half of them don't even play the job nor even try whether enmity- and /DRG works. If you can somehow pull hate with capped enmity- gear/merit and /DRG, while playing with a good PLD, then I'd be convinced that COR shouldn't /ra. Other wise stop claiming "don't DD because you're going to pull hate!" without trying harder.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-07-24 06:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a lot of problems that should've been solved w/ Crusade.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-07-24 06:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Sounds like a lot of problems that should've been solved w/ Crusade.

Done DM before Crusade exist, didn't pull hate :)
[+]
 Odin.Shaggnix
Server: Odin
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2014-07-24 06:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
While it won't increase your performance, it will help you save a little bit of gil. Get the double food duration from santion, use your food, then homepoint to the appropriate buff giver (signet/ionis,) before events.

granted i never did formal testing, and this is going back a few years, but i remember it not working like that back in the 75 merit party days. food didn't last 2x as long if sanction wore or was overwritten between eating and food wearing off. I remember reaching the conclusion that the duration + effect doesn't double duration upon consumption, rather you "digest" at 1/2 speed, and when you lose sanction, normal rate "digestion" resumes. I suppose this would be easy to test with some low duration food.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14