First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-26 19:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

true to the title of the thread:

after joining a few parties that friends of mine shouted to make recently i have a few things that, i guess, should be restated to increase your desireability status in this game.

1. when you start a battle, and you buffed the party with certain buffs, letting the drop AT ALL (if its your job, you should have learned how to prioritize and be ready for all those situations that people might say "HOLD ON! WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU CANT BECAUSE..." )means you have failed the party and should feel bad. you are the reason ***didnt work out, i dont care about what anyone else was doing or was wearing. its on you. no escuses here.

2. if someone tells you to buff them with certain buffs at the start of a run for say, the mega boss of that run, do it right. doing marchx2 minuetx2 SVCCnitro (the first issue is actually that youre using those songs to begin with but i digress)instead of the march minuetx2 mad like you were told speaks to being a *** idiot. mainly, but more so if it happens more than once.

3. ALL jobs who sub WHM should play like their main job is WHM (discretionary role, so skill plays a big part, obviously, but still) while interweaving their main jobs roles at the same time, maintaining the max level of their main jobs contributions, while contributing essentially exactly like a whm would, in terms of implications of the spells you have available. i dont care about excuses to not do so. i dont care about your opinions on the matter. do this and people will like you, dont do it and people wont like you, obviously not on a personal level, but who knows, maybe.

4. stop hitting up that one dude who you know that gets ***done, and tell them "DO SOMETHING!". they will /t you if you are good enough. if youre not, go get to the skill level they require for what they do. dont bring the "practice makes perfect" arguement into this as a personal strike, because you can go practice in a setting that doesnt bring others down.

5. when someone asks what jobs you have, theyre actually asking you what jobs youre able to play at a high level. dont offer whm if youre just going to say "what the *** happened?!" after someone dies to tojil. this will make things a lot easier on you, the party you joined/might join, and your future in said party.

6. every ability/spell a job has to offer does something specific. you should know what they do, and when to use them. if people in a party CONTINUOUSLY have to ask you to use those spells and abilities, you are not desirable. people should not have to ask for haste, na spells, to keep bard songs on full time without wearing (haste and similer buffs too!), and for you to use the new SCH 1h on yourself and run in a tank the mob if ***goes south. no excuses. this should be what you aim for, regardless of whether or not SOMETIMES you get lazy and someone asks.

7. remediesx12, panaceax12, antacidx12, holy waterx12, riverfin soup, magma steak, hydra kofte, pescatora, tav tacos, mushroom stew. carry these. all of them. dont buy echos at all. theyre useless since remedy takes silence off. medicine and food at the most costly armor slots in the game, for good reason. someone who ALWAYS has these on them (antacids to change foods in case a *** terrible bard lets songs drop/sings wrong songs/ect ect) is desirable. i dont wanna hear opinions about remedies vs echo drops. i dont wanna hear about costs or that rcb is "good enough"
. if your of the opinion that RCB is good enough, then include it in that list, but when i see someone use rcb over hydra kofte at least, i learn that you are willing to gimp the most valuable "equipment" slot we have.
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-07-26 19:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ouryu can be a 2~ min zerg fight with the right jobs.

Smn, Whm, Brd, DDX3 (Sams are preferred, a *well* geared thf can do decent too. Thf is helpful as well to larceny the Invicible, plus yay TH?). Some outside buffers if you have mules are helpful (cor rolls, few extra songs, etc).

Keep up EA and scherzo. Fight on the back and stay on the back so you only get spike flailed. Shouldn't come anywhere near killing you with EA/Scherzo up.

Sams can Yaegasumi at the start, thfs can PD. Smn can astral flow at ~50%. Again, larceny Invicible when he uses it.

When we started doing it like this, it dies very quickly, before it even flies. Granted it takes everyone using their 1hrs, but this fight became a lot easier for us when we started using this strat.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-07-26 19:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
yadda yadda

Imma break yo pearl cuz RCB is good 'nuf you ***
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-26 19:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So if someone takes off their silence with echo they're bad, k.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-26 19:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

things

I've never read so much stupid condensed into 1 post, bravo sir.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-26 19:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-26 19:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

ALL jobs who sub WHM should play like their main job is WHM (discretionary role, so skill plays a big part, obviously, but still) while interweaving their main jobs roles at the same time, maintaining the max level of their main jobs contributions, while contributing essentially exactly like a whm would, in terms of implications of the spells you have available. i dont care about excuses to not do so. i dont care about your opinions on the matter. do this and people will like you, dont do it and people wont like you, obviously not on a personal level, but who knows, maybe.
So, if I go as WAR/WHM, you expect me to main heal?

(serious note, BRD/WHM shouldn't main heal at all, that's why you have actual healers in your party....and BRD shouldn't ever need to go /WHM at all anyway. /RDM or gtfo)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-26 19:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

though I do need to give you some credit and rescind on how harsh my original post was, until the last bullet point you actually seem to know what you're talking about
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-07-26 19:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is pretty well known, but posting it anyways.

If you made any of the magian dmg staves in the past, the casting time on them can and does work for brd songs.

Also, the -recast on magian macc staves works for recast on things like haste and raises/arise, erase, esuna, sacrifice, etc. I still carry them around for that.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-07-26 19:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
though I do need to give you some credit and rescind on how harsh my original post was, until the last bullet point you actually seem to know what you're talking about

He's a good player and pretty competent.

He's just batshit crazy!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-07-26 19:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah I've picked up on that, no idea why you'd outright advocate wasting resources on removing silence with remedies. the rest is solid tho. Also need to add Smouldering/Charred Salisbury Steak to the list, it's got more attack than kofte at the expense of no def. Wouldn't use a 1hr~3hr food if I knew my healer was ***though, it's a waste.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-26 20:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i used specific examples/numbers/quantities to illustrate my points. obviously, like everyone else, im my own kind of *** idiot, but my points should at least resonate with newer/less seasoned players as sound advice true to the name of the thread. when i said whm sub, i mean mage sub. you should use all the spells of your support job to their fullest extent as if you were the main healer, or whatever, in addition to the fullfilment of the highest functional ability of their main job. you can almost ignore my specifics, and walk away with every point i was trying to make.

and i know the last post is a little over the top, but i gave it to the post in that way to not only show the value of remedies, but to show that being prepared for anything will make you more desirable. when an event is failed that im a part of, no matter what happened, i consider it my fault. even if it blatently wasnt. there is always something i could have done to change the outcome, and i make it a point to make sure that i learn to be better. these are some of the things i have learned from experience that are more easily translated to tips than something that may need more actual "field experience" to teach.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-26 20:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
I think this is pretty well known, but posting it anyways.

If you made any of the magian dmg staves in the past, the casting time on them can and does work for brd songs.

Also, the -recast on magian macc staves works for recast on things like haste and raises/arise, erase, esuna, sacrifice, etc. I still carry them around for that.

And the few fights where /nin for mages, my Vayuvatta II makes for 5 second Ichi recasts, seriously handy for haste cycles as well.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-07-26 20:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

To add onto some of the stuff that's kinda being posted on this page:

Learn how to and when to realize you messed up. I don't know how many players I've encountered that not only assume they never screw up, and constantly blame their mistakes on others, but won't take advice on how to play better.

You might be surprised how far a "Hey, that was my bad, sorry, I'll get it better next time" might go.

It's really hard to improve if you always blame your mistakes on someone else.

Edit; on the flipside, if someone messes up, be nice. People are more likely to take advice to heart if you're giving constructive cristisism opposed to just being rude and degrading.
[+]
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-07-26 20:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, as a mage, especially if you're using gearswap, don't underestimate the value of quickmagic. If you have one piece, you might as well try and get them all and stack as much as you can. (Minus the WoTG earring, because tp bonus is just too good).
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By angrykitty 2014-07-26 22:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Little facts to help you suck less?

JESUS CHRIST!

Don't be like the fat slobs complaining in this thread (Example: Bukadan). I would have quoted that post, but my *** filter exploded and my browser crashed. Don't vent here. Nobody wants to hear you cry about what players "should" do. Nobody cares!

Also, feel free to attack my post. I don't give a ***. If you're offended you have every right to be! Pop open a coke, eat a microwave burrito and suck it up. I won't be reading this thread anyway.

Enjoy!
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-07-26 22:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Be nice now. :/
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-26 22:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

yea guys, just make those mistakes and dont do those things and come back and tell us youre desirable.
 Odin.Skjalf
MSPaint Winner
By Odin.Skjalf 2014-07-26 23:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Its time for a hug. ^^

Meow :3
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-26 23:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

whats wrong with those little facts to help you sucks less? the specifics of the examples i gave arent the point. would you want to either farm an event in farm status, go for a win to get people who dont have the win for an event, or try a new event the first day it comes out with someone who doesnt adhere to at least those standards? this isnt a personal thing, so why are you making it out to be?

i spend almost all the time i play this game now helping people, so assuming that my post was anything but sincere is making an *** out of u and me (***-u-me, lolz)
By Davorin 2014-07-27 00:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

angrykitty said: »
Nothing constructive.

On the topic of keeping meds, it's very surprising how many players don't seem to keep/use meds, and even food :/ Always be prepared.
[+]
By Sieha1 2014-07-28 10:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there is a difference between little things to help people play better (better less hateful wording) and things that piss you off that people do.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-28 10:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
I think there is a difference between little things to help people play better (better less hateful wording) and things that piss you off that people do.
Now that's a tip to help people suck less.

Distinguishing between actual tips, the wording used, and things that people do that piss you off.
By Nyruul 2014-07-29 09:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

angrykitty said: »
Little facts to help you suck less?

JESUS CHRIST!

Don't be like the fat slobs complaining in this thread (Example: Bukadan). I would have quoted that post, but my *** filter exploded and my browser crashed. Don't vent here. Nobody wants to hear you cry about what players "should" do. Nobody cares!

Also, feel free to attack my post. I don't give a ***. If you're offended you have every right to be! Pop open a coke, eat a microwave burrito and suck it up. I won't be reading this thread anyway.

Enjoy!

Ughhh, hypocricy at its finest?
By Derfelcadarn 2014-07-29 15:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Tyche. My favorite Tatu. Well done.
 Shiva.Jirachi
Server: Shiva
user: jirachi
By Shiva.Jirachi 2014-07-29 15:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't sit in town complaining about how the game is dying....actually go do something productive.
There is a list of things.
-Farm Capacity points
-Farm Relic/Empy
-Complete a storyline
-Find an event shell

Just to name a few.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2014-07-30 02:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Jirachi said: »
Don't sit in town complaining about how the game is dying....actually go do something productive.
There is a list of things.
-Farm Capacity points
-Farm Relic/Empy
-Complete a storyline
-Find an event shell

Just to name a few.

To add to this:

Start a shout for things you need

- As a shout leader throw your 1337-speak overboard and use clear English for a while. You can go back being cool to your homies later. This often avoids missunderstandings.
- Be polite to the people that join even if thing go t*ts up.
- Don't "go roll a blunt" and let everyone else wait for 30minutes-1hour+
- If you have RL obligations tell people. "My kid painted my dog yellow gtg/need 20 minutes" is fine, randomly hopping afk without anyone knowing if you will be back ever is not.
- Don't tell people "this will be easy". In many occasions you might have been carried through the event before by skilled people that might have just made it seem easy.
- Build pop / entry items before you shout. Everyone being ready with sabers in their mouths just to have to afk more can lead to the unwanted chain-afk cascade leading to big delays.
- Don't spam /yell like the world is ending tomorrow. Once every 3-4 mins is fine, people will get the idea.
- Tell people your shout is full or yell it.
- Read up on what you do beforehand. Tell people that you are new to this event. Often someone else can help you lead it.

>> People will start liking your shouts. They will fill quicker each time. You can network with people that join and gain the ability to join LSes that were closed to you before. In a game where the community grows a little smaller each day reputation is a valuable commodity to have.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-07-30 05:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

That post about the /mage and acting like its your main I wouldnt go all guns blazing and try and be the main healer as you will be making your whms life harder. Whms af3+2 pants go off the amount cured so if you manage to get off a 600 cure IV before they can you are making them use more mp and they can cure that with a cure III. Instead work on waking people, Na-ing people and casting haste fights last so much longer if you have petrified, plagued, sleeping or paralyzed DDs.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14