The New Global Cooling Thread.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The new Global Cooling thread.
The new Global Cooling thread.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 10 11 12
 Gilgamesh.Schmule
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Kloroform
By Gilgamesh.Schmule 2014-08-08 04:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Global warming and Global Cooling will cancel each other out. Problem solved, needn't do anything.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-08 04:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I still see a frightening amount of parallels between the Climate issues and the Lead issues some fifty years back... Thirty years of well-funded pseudoscience against an overwhelming majority of actual science finally took the majority of lead out of consumer products but it was one hell of an uphill battle. This is part of the reason why you need less politicians with "Law" degrees (Read: Professional bullshitters) and more scientifically literate people in positions of power.

Al Gore seems to be a stain on the scientific community just by virtue of a passing association. Personally, I'm one of those people who thought Al Gore's best contribution to the world was Voicework for Futurama, so I'm not in Manbearpig territory, I'm just in a very deliberate state of objective rational.

It's been an historic consistency that when you find large sums of money funding a tiny portion of global opinion taking an opposing consensus toward an academic majority, that opinion has invariably been false and self-serving. Meanwhile, if you take a step back to unfuck yourself and ask what kind of repercussions are we dealing with in both cases, you find that the only time in which negative outcomes are guaranteed is by simply doing nothing.

Climate change could be revealed as a hoax tomorrow and I'd still not feel dumb for believing it had existed. The circumstances of such a debunking would determine in what regard I still hold the scientific community though; bumbling climate-scientist virgins still looking for the G-spot of methodology, unfamiliar with the techniques needed to truly validate information objectively? Or deliberate falsification of facts for their own end? Which circumstances makes a difference.

But because the movement against Climate change (Especially in the plebes who just ingest the propaganda) is much like Religion, the argument against Climate change is shooting from the hip at best, and pissing directly into gale-force winds at worst. I'll take being wrong and rational over being right and a lucky moron any day.

Okay, I've fulfilled the "Page a day" rule for Friday. For those unfamiliar, it's the rule that if you ever wish to have a career writing anything, you should write(And read) at least a page a day. Doesn't matter what.
+1 just because it's always nice when I see some rational thought.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-08 05:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just think: almost every RROD could have been prevented with some good 'ol leaded solder.
By fonewear 2014-08-08 08:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Schmule said: »
Global warming and Global Cooling will cancel each other out. Problem solved, needn't do anything.

Hey logic isn't allowed on the internet.
By fonewear 2014-08-08 08:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You do have the right idea the best way to stop global warming/cooling. Is to ignore it and hope someone else solves it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 08:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, besides the minor benefits like LA/Chicago/NYC being less smoggy (and who cares about those idiots, they deserve to live in smog cities), how in the world will the US prevent global warming when it is developing countries like China who are the biggest contributors of pollution in the world....

Let's all destroy our lives and our economy to feel good about ourselves....yup, that's straight from the liberal playbook all right.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-08 08:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-08 08:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 09:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on guys, we can make it to page 9.

Then we can change the topic to the Church of Global Warming.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-08 09:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

"I agree with you -- in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory."
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-08 09:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-08 09:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
"I agree with you -- in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory."

In theory I could learn something on FFXIAH, in theory !
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-08 09:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of context this thread is about Fonzie. Eh !

Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-08 10:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Well, besides the minor benefits like LA/Chicago/NYC being less smoggy (and who cares about those idiots, they deserve to live in smog cities)
You forgot Houston.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 10:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Well, besides the minor benefits like LA/Chicago/NYC being less smoggy (and who cares about those idiots, they deserve to live in smog cities)
You forgot Houston.
Houston isn't too bad though. It does have their smog days (so does SA, but at least we have advisory warnings, same as Houston) but it isn't as prevalent as the three above cities.

Once, maybe twice a year.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-08 10:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no doubt that CA is the US capital for pollution... but TX is much higher on the pollution scale than NY or Chicago.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-08 10:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot Houston.
Houston isn't too bad though. It does have their smog days (so does SA, but at least we have advisory warnings, same as Houston) but it isn't as prevalent as the three above cities.

The American Lung Association disagrees with you sans CA...
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-08 10:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot Houston.

What?

Historically Houston has had horrible pollution. In 2000 it was worse than L.A. and it is still in the top 10 cities with the worst pollution in the US

Old articles
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/24/us/houston-smarting-economically-from-smog-searches-for-remedies.html
http://madmax.lmtonline.com/textarchives/102700/s25.htm
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 10:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You forgot Houston.

The American Lung Association disagrees with you sans CA...
I'll give you that. Every time I go to Houston, it's usually on the west side and downtown, and those areas aren't generally smoggy.

ALA's list includes the southside and east sides, and I don't go through or near there.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 10:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot Houston.

What?

Historically Houston has had horrible pollution. In 2000 it was worse than L.A. and it is still in the top 10 cities with worse pollution in the US

Old articles
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/24/us/houston-smarting-economically-from-smog-searches-for-remedies.html
http://madmax.lmtonline.com/textarchives/102700/s25.htm
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't see smog in Houston often, if at all.

But then again, I don't look for it either. And the list points at specific sections (Baytown, Huntsville, Beaumont are all on the other side of town from where I come in from).

SA does have health advisories, and it's not often at all.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-08 10:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Western Pennsylvania is actually pretty terrible.

Any time there's a hot & humid day, my phone starts blowing up with air quality alerts. You'd think a largely forested region would be relatively clean, but...well...you know. Decades of cole coal* and industry.

Report: Allegheny County in top 2 percent in U.S. for cancer risk from air pollution

Pittsburgh region still gets poor marks for air pollution

aaaaannnnddd...the current rating for exactly where I'm sitting right now:

I should probably just go ahead and start scheduling lung biopsies for my 40th birthday now.

*What the *** is with my spelling and grammar today? ***!
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-08 10:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't see smog in Houston often, if at all.

But then again, I don't look for it either. And the list points at specific sections (Baytown, Huntsville, Beaumont are all on the other side of town from where I come in from).

Ok.

I was born there, lived there through the 80's, and went back to visit family frequently in the 90's. I remember poor air quality.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-08 12:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok.

I was born there, lived there through the 80's, and went back to visit family frequently in the 90's. I remember poor air quality.

Then there's the very visible pollution of the water ways around Houston/Beaumont area. Granted, the Sabine has been polluted since the Oil Boom. As for the Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston, fun times, but the water...

Then, you have the Trinity, which only gets worse the further south it flows. Even crossing the Trinity to go to Six Flags or the Forth Worth Zoo in DFW in the summers in the 80's and 90's, it had the sludgy look to match the smell that still permeates the air around it when temperatures reach God awful levels. Even passing over the Brazos on route to Houston, I have the passing thought that it may as well be a toss up as to which most resembles a miniature Mississippi.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-08 13:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Then there's the very visible pollution of the water ways around Houston/Beaumont area. Granted, the Sabine has been polluted since the Oil Boom. As for the Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston, fun times, but the water...

Then, you have the Trinity, which only gets worse the further south it flows. Even crossing the Trinity to go to Six Flags or the Forth Worth Zoo in DFW in the summers in the 80's and 90's, it had the sludgy look to match the smell that still permeates the air around it when temperatures reach God awful levels. Even passing over the Brazos on route to Houston, I have the passing thought that it may as well be a toss up as to which most resembles a miniature Mississippi.

Ugh Galveston. Our family rule: we could only wear a bathing suit twice there. It was quite nasty.

I did find a whole sand dollar there once.....I think it gave up.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 13:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Ok.

You North and East Texans crack me up.

South Texas is where it's at. The only pollution we have is all the Mexicans and their food!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-08 13:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Global cooling thread eh? I'll sit in here for a bit cause today is really hot *waits for the cooling effect of the thread*
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-08 13:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Global cooling thread eh? I'll sit in here for a bit cause today is really hot *waits for the cooling effect of the thread*
Don't bother, it's full of hot air here.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-08 13:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, besides the minor benefits like LA/Chicago/NYC being less smoggy (and who cares about those idiots, they deserve to live in smog cities), how in the world will the US prevent global warming when it is developing countries like China who are the biggest contributors of pollution in the world....

Let's all destroy our lives and our economy to feel good about ourselves....yup, that's straight from the liberal playbook all right.
This implies that China is doing nothing about their emissions, which is flat-out not true. They've invested heavily in alternative energy, recently passed some regulations on coal, are experimenting with cap-and-trade programs in some of their cities, and are regular participants in climate talks.

Emission regulations and legislation will not "destroy our lives". Disrupt, potentially, but the alternative will very likely be worse. If the problem is warming spurred on by excess greenhouse gases, how is maintaining business as usual with regard to emissions somehow a solution? That's like saying the cure for this stab wound is more stab wounds.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-08 14:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

This implies that China is doing nothing about their emissions, which is flat-out not true. They've invested heavily in alternative energy, recently passed some regulations on coal, are experimenting with cap-and-trade programs in some of their cities, and are regular participants in climate talks.

Emission regulations and legislation will not "destroy our lives". Disrupt, potentially, but the alternative will very likely be worse. If the problem is warming spurred on by excess greenhouse gases, how is maintaining business as usual with regard to emissions somehow a solution? That's like saying the cure for this stab wound is more stab wounds.

Someone has to look out for the interests of the people running around stabbing everyone! It's stabbist persecution! NO MORE STABBIST GUILT!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-08 14:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Stabbing people is a lifestyle choice.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 10 11 12