Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 333 334 335 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-26 12:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
If you guys are going to argue about education standards and methods and all that jazz, I've got a slideshow for you: Finland's education system.
But without an evaluation system we can't see who is best, and therefore, we can't see who wins! IT CAN'T BE 'MURRICAN WITHOUT A WINNER.

And how am I supposed to get quantitative proof of how much more special my little snowflake is compared to other kids?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 12:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news:

FCC issues stricter regulations regarding internet services

Quote:
U.S. regulators on Thursday imposed the toughest rules yet on Internet service providers, aiming to ensure fair treatment of all web traffic through their networks.

The Federal Communications Commission voted along party lines, with Democrats in favor, to approve new "net neutrality" rules that seek to restrict broadband providers' power to control download speeds on the web, for instance by potentially giving preference to companies that can afford to pay more.

The vote starts a countdown to expected lawsuits from cable and telecoms providers which argue that the tougher regulatory regime will stifle investments, hurting consumers. Republicans see Thursday's move as a government power grab.

The new regulations come after a year of jostling between cable and telecom companies and net neutrality advocates, which included web startups. It culminated in the FCC receiving a record 4 million comments and a call from President Barack Obama to adopt the strongest rules possible.

The agency sought new net neutrality rules after a federal court rejected their previous version in January 2014.

The ruling confirmed the agency's authority over broadband but said it had improperly regulated Internet providers as if they were similar to a public utility. That contradicted their official classification as "information services" providers, which are meant to be more lightly regulated.

The agency's new policy reclassifies broadband, both fixed and mobile, as more heavily regulated "telecommunications services," more like a traditional telephone service.

The shift gives the FCC more authority to police various types of deals between providers such as Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O) and content companies such as Netflix Inc (NFLX.O) to ensure they are just and reasonable for consumers and competitors.

Internet providers will be banned from blocking or slowing any traffic and from striking deals with content companies, known as paid prioritization, for smoother delivery of traffic to consumers.

The FCC also expands its authority over so-called interconnection deals, in which content companies pay broadband providers to connect with their networks. The FCC would review complaints on a case-by-case basis.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler's original proposal pursued a legal path suggested by the court. It stopped short of reclassifying broadband and so had to allow paid prioritization, prompting a public outcry and later Obama's message.

With the latest draft, Wheeler sought to address some Internet providers' concerns, proposing no price regulations, tariffs or requirements to give competitors access to networks.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 12:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
If you guys are going to argue about education standards and methods and all that jazz, I've got a slideshow for you: Finland's education system.
But without an evaluation system we can't see who is best, and therefore, we can't see who wins! IT CAN'T BE 'MURRICAN WITHOUT A WINNER.

And how am I supposed to get quantitative proof of how much more special my little snowflake is compared to other kids?

I grew up with friends whose parents were actually like this.

My best friend's mother considered me a legitimate threat to his recognition and praise because we frequently did projects and stuff together.

Seriously; I learned about frenemies at an early age; it was a long while until she realized that we worked very well together and it turned out, in fact, that we were both contributing to making ***happen at all...and that, oh, hey, it turns out some of the recognition he was getting was because of, not in spite of, me. And that it worked both ways. You know, teamwork and all that.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-26 12:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny thing, psychological studies have shown that parents are basically blind to their children's shortcomings. The study I read was largely in regard to parents of overweight kids not thinking that little Jimmy tipping the scales at 100 lbs. aged 6 was fat, but it applies across most things.

So, basically, no parent actually wants real proof their kid is or isn't special.

Speaking from my own personal experience teaching 4th graders, actually trying to grade them was impossible. I spent my time engaging with them and getting them interested in the material and occasionally just having fun. For the most part, they all retained what I taught exactly because they weren't being handed a list to memorize or some busywork homework or subjected to a test. The kids who didn't remember facts as readily were the ones who came up with creative answers when the others were stumped.

*shrug* I dunno, I imagine most teachers run into this exact problem but bureaucracy stymies them doing much with it. Or maybe not. I was teaching at the age of 15 and consulted with my own former teachers before I started. They were a little shocked that I picked up on things that took them several years to consciously realize.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 12:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Finally some good news.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-26 12:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been saying since I was in school that the Prussian system we use just doesn't work. But that's because it wasn't strictly meant to teach students knowledge and abilities so much as obedience and conformity.

Hold On...

What else does finland lead the world in? NOTHING they're ranked 59th in gdp they're *** below everybody but sri lanka!

findland sucks... why would anyone copy those jackasses?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 13:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You should go into one of these inner city schools you seem to like to think you know a lot about and see if your assessment of teachers changes at all.

I'm aware there are bad teachers in the inner city. But you're not getting my point as to why. 1) Not paid enough to deal with 2) students that have no interest in learning and can be downright hostile.

This is where you start to get the "teaching just because it's a job" crowd, and the downward spiral continues. Really it's almost two entirely different sets of issues, teaching in poor and/or inner city areas and teaching in affluent areas.
It's not just an inner city problem lol... Idk where you get that idea.

There are teachers that succeed in the environment with the same amount of pay and the same students. How can they do it?

This leads again to my previous question that you have yet to answer How much should they be paid to all of a sudden turn into good teachers? You're never going to get a classroom full of kids that are all about learning.

Teachers can have a pretty big impact. It's why you see classes with kids that become interested because a teacher goes the extra mile.

They are two very different environments both with their own unique ups and downs. It does not mean that teachers can not be successful in the environment.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I've been saying since I was in school that the Prussian system we use just doesn't work. But that's because it wasn't strictly meant to teach students knowledge and abilities so much as obedience and conformity.

Hold On...

What else does finland lead the world in? NOTHING they're ranked 59th in gdp they're *** below everybody but sri lanka!

findland sucks... why would anyone copy those jackasses?

Yeah, but if you change it to GDP per capita, they jump up to 25th based on the IMF, 23rd accord to the world bank. The U.S. is 10th on both charts.

And the gap between Finland and the U.S. is drastically smaller than the gap between the U.S. and the top 3.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-26 13:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I suggest they increase college tuition by 40% so students never get a good education !

I'm 62 years old still paying off my student loans.

They need to do that just to pay for Hillary Clinton's speaking fees at college campuses.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying anything in this discussion is universal, and I never said it was just an inner city problem.

Ugh.

You're just trolling at this point.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-26 13:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally some good news.
I'm cautiously optimistic as to what it all means going forward.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

they jump up to 25th based on the IMF, 23rd accord to the world bank.
Wait, hold on.

Which is it, 23rd or 25th?

There's only one calculation for GDP per capita. How come two different economic sources are saying different things?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-26 13:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but if you change it to GDP per capita, they jump up to 25th based on the IMF, 23rd accord to the world bank. The U.S. is 10th on both charts.

Yeah... so they SUCK at least TWICE as badly as we do... great...

That sounds great, where do I sign up?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, hold on.

There's only one calculation for GDP per capita. How come two different economic sources are saying different things?

Looking at it on Wikipedia. International Monetary Fund and World Bank. IMF is just 2013 data, World Bank is 2011-2013 data.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally some good news.
I'm on the fence on this.

If the FCC doesn't start pulling an "EPA" on ISPs, and regulate for the sake of regulations, then this would be helpful to the community.

But this is the federal government. An entity that's known to abuse it's own power it gives to itself. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see corruption of power by the FCC.

I'm going to wait and see on this instance.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... so they SUCK at least TWICE as badly as we do... great...

That sounds great, where do I sign up?

No...they suck...*does what he hopes is correct math* 24.5% "more" than we do.

In comparison, we suck 73.7% more than Qatar.

...and I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not about to adopt the social and cultural structure of Qatar.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-26 13:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Findland...pffft..... see that's what happens when you cram your head so far up your own *** you can't see any daylight... you start admiring findland.... /scoffs

that's it... I'm leaving

/slams the door
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, hold on.

Looking at it on Wikipedia. International Monetary Fund and World Bank. IMF is just 2013 data, World Bank is 2011-2013 data.
I know what IMF stands for >.>

But if we are talking about apples v. oranges, then that's understandable.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Findland...pffft..... see that's what happens when you cram your head so far up your own *** you can't see any daylight... you start admiring findland.... /scoffs

that's it... I'm leaving

/slams the door

WELL FINE I'LL JUST DRINK YOUR DRINK TOO.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-26 13:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Chants USA! USA! USA

We're number one with a bullet unless you cheat and lump together the whole european union numbnuts....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

that's it... I'm leaving

/slams the door

WELL FINE I'LL JUST DRINK YOUR DRINK TOO.
Somebody may have spiked Nik's punch. Too many people are against his malfunctioning weather control device....

Then again, with your army of trained squirrels, I guess you got plenty of food tasters on hand....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Chants USA! USA! USA

We're number one with a bullet unless you cheat and lump together the whole european union numbnuts....

Per capita feels more accurate to me!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Chants USA! USA! USA

Not for long, cause China.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 13:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Chants USA! USA! USA

Per capita feels more accurate to me!
Per capita gives benefits to the freeloaders and nonproducers though.

There are people in America who produce more by themselves than all of Greece combined.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-26 13:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally some good news.
I'm on the fence on this. If the FCC doesn't start pulling an "EPA" on ISPs, and regulate for the sake of regulations, then this would be helpful to the community. But this is the federal government. An entity that's known to abuse it's own power it gives to itself. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see corruption of power by the FCC. I'm going to wait and see on this instance.
Pretty much. I've been very torn on it because I have a hard time deciding who I trust less. Choosing between sleazy internet companies and sleazy government officials is like choosing between two turd sandwiches.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should have said, "finally, some potentially good news", as I do agree with you.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 13:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There are people in America who take credit for producing more by themselves than all of Greece combined.

They're not doing jack ***by themselves.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-26 13:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Chants USA! USA! USA

Not for long, cause China.

Yeah...we should do everything just like china....

what did you guys all take this morning? stupid pills?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-26 13:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you all having problems with the Internet that I don't know about? Are you finding it all too free for your liking?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 13:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying anything in this discussion is universal, and I never said it was just an inner city problem.

Ugh.

You're just trolling at this point.
I'm not trolling at all. You just have very little to say on the topic beyond teachers are infallible and blame everyone else lol.
First Page 2 3 ... 333 334 335 ... 1375 1376 1377