Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 332 333 334 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
fonewear said: »
Teachers make 26,000 a year I'm buying a Toyota Corolla !
In Illinois, at least, you're more likely to get a better education from a teacher in a private school making $30,000 than you would in a public school making $50,000+

Is this based on numbers that include inner city public schools that involve constant threat to person for teachers and students raised by deadbeat parents/grandparents to not give a ***?
Constant threat to person? Where do you even come up with this stuff? Is there some kind of violence against teachers epidemic that I was unaware of? Don't blame the teachers blame the students and their families!

$49,000 is the starting wage for public school teachers in the city of chicago. Private schools around chicago are more along the lines of $30,000.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 11:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Yeah, that's not going to happen. For one thing, it would create a disincentive to invest/hire new employees. For another thing, you would just come right back where you started. Remember, unions were created by a group of people who decided that they hate their jobs enough to go boss employers around, and after they became unemployable, created their union to give members the illusion that they are out for the good of the union, never mind that unions help destroy companies and create ineffective and uncompetitive businesses.

...that's an interesting take on things. Apparently they've been doctoring Texas textbooks for quite some time...
So, tell us all how unions are started then.

Unions were started to ensure safety, fair pay and benefits for workers who were blatently mistreated.

Now, it's unlikely white collar workers are going to get black lung in today's workplace, but employers are still going to do everything they can to screw over workers and workers need a way to fight back.

Quote:
You do know that you can start a union legally with just 3 people, right?

Yeah. You know how that ends?

*fired *new workers for less pay*
Yeah, besides the overly biased viewpoints, you stated why but not how unions are started.

Here is a source that shows how to start one. You can get legal status before your employer ever realizes what's going on in most cases.

But guess what, even in "right-to-work" states and "at-will" states, when a union is formed, it is still illegal to fire somebody based on their union status.

Yeah, there will be another excuse, but they cannot fire you automatically or within a specific timeline except for "just cause." And the burden of proof is on the employer, which for most businesses, is too much of a hassle to deal with.

And not being employed doesn't mean that the union dissolves either. So, firing the employee does nothing to the union itself, and the employer still has to deal with the union, even if the representatives no longer works there.

I think it's strange that I, who am strongly against unions, have more knowledge of unions than you, who are strongly for unions....
By fonewear 2015-02-26 11:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Only threats teachers in my area are having is having sex with their students.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Constant threat to person? Where do you even come up with this stuff? Is there some kind of violence against teachers epidemic that I was unaware of? Don't blame the teachers blame the students and their families!

$49,000 is the starting wage for public school teachers in the city of chicago. Private schools around chicago are more along the lines of $30,000.

...okay, yeah. Apparently you've never been to a poor section of a city. Teaching in the inner city is not something I'd consider safe.

And yes. I will blame students and parents. You can't teach someone who doesn't want to be taught because they've been brought up to not care.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I just don't understand why you think all teachers teach because it was some kind of calling. For a lot of them it's just a job like your job is to you. A way to bring in income.

I went to a college with an extremely well-regarded teaching program.

I know and am related to many teachers.

I don't know a single one who does it because it's "just a job".

There's far too much that goes into it, emotionally and as a time investment, for it to be "just a job".
That's great for them but your anecdotal evidence doesn't actually reflect the work ethic of all teachers.

If we want to go by stories like that though I can tell you all about how some teachers don't feel the need to show up for their first period classes at times or how they grab up extra classes for the extra money and then don't want to teach them. I have an ex that became a teacher just because she didn't like what she was doing at the time and teaching seemed like it'd be easy to get into. I had a HS teacher that used to get hammered every day and then sleep during class.

It's not to say that there aren't excellent teacher out there because there are. Just like in anything else though not everyone is in it for altrustic reasons or even performs at their best or ever required level.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, clearly I'm just thinking with feels and trying to look out for people who actually do work, rather than those who lord over them and collect more money for less work, or those who sit and criticize without investing themselves.

It's one big microcosm for "why the middle class is disappearing" around here today. -.-;
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

how they grab up extra classes for the extra money and then don't want to teach them

Private school problem? Perhaps exacerbated by too low of a salary? :p

Last I checked public school teachers don't work like that.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

...okay, yeah. Apparently you've never been to a poor section of a city. Teaching in the inner city is not something I'd consider safe.

And yes. I will blame students and parents. You can't teach someone who doesn't want to be taught because they've been brought up to not care.
Again you'd be wrong. My brother teaches at an inner city chicago school and he complains more about his fellow teachers than his students.

This reminds me of some posts from Magnus awhile back. He wasn't even there for more than a couple of weeks and he had already started to give up and blame his students and how they didn't want to learn and such. Do you think if we gave him an extra $50,000 a year he'd be more motivated? There are definitely a lot of challenging students but it's the teachers job to work with that and find a way to motivate them.

It just seems kind of ridiculous to flat out blame the ones that are there to be taught. Granted things with the system do need to be changed around a bit but yeah the blame does not lie full with the students and their families lol.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

how they grab up extra classes for the extra money and then don't want to teach them

Private school problem? Perhaps exacerbated by too low of a salary? :p

Last I checked public school teachers don't work like that.
This is in a public school. Teachers have a set course for their base salaries. If they pick up coaching jobs take up clubs, extra classes or pick up work doing driver's ed through the school they get paid extra for all those things.

This is chicago public schools. Base salaray is already right around family median income for americans and they are guranteed fixed raises every year.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Again you'd be wrong. My brother teaches at an inner city chicago school and he complains more about his fellow teachers than his students.

I'm talking specifically about "taking more classes for more money".

I've never heard of a public school that works that way.

It just seems kind of ridiculous to flat out blame the ones that are there to be taught. Granted things with the system do need to be changed around a bit but yeah the blame does not lie full with the students and their families lol.

Granted yes, there are bad teachers, but seriously. Motivating an unmotivated student and trying to teach English to a juvenile criminal who shows up 50% of the time are two different things.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If they pick up coaching jobs take up clubs, extra classes or pick up work doing driver's ed through the school they get paid extra for all those things.

Clubs/sports/etc. aren't "extra classes". I don't know about driver's ed; it was taught at our school, but it was over the summer and wasn't taught by a teacher from our school. I've never seen "extra classes" (beyond summer school) that teachers could "opt in" to. A class was taught or it wasn't.

I've never seen a coach or club oversight teacher that wasn't really into their job.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking specifically about "taking more classes for more money".

I've never heard of a public school that works that way.

Granted yes, there are bad teachers, but seriously. Motivating an unmotivated student and trying to teach English to a juvenile criminal who shows up 50% of the time are two different things.
Motivating an unmotivated student is part of their job. It's not necassarily supposed to be easy. Will they always succeed? Probably not. You don't just absolve them from blame and just lay it all on the people there supposed to be there to help.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 11:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If they pick up coaching jobs take up clubs, extra classes or pick up work doing driver's ed through the school they get paid extra for all those things.

Clubs/sports/etc. aren't "extra classes". I don't know about driver's ed; it was taught at our school, but it was over the summer and wasn't taught by a teacher from our school. I've never seen "extra classes" (beyond summer school) that teachers could "opt in" to. A class was taught or it wasn't.

I've never seen a coach or club oversight teacher that wasn't really into their job.
Those are other expamples of things they can do to pick up extra pay. Drivers ed is somthing like $32 an hour.

It also works for when the school adds extra classes. They give them out on priority for whoever has been there the longest too. It's not a volunteer and we pick the best person based off class load and other such things it's based solely on if you want it, it's in your field and have you been there longer than the other person that wants it too.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-26 11:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's not going to happen. For one thing, it would create a disincentive to invest/hire new employees. For another thing, you would just come right back where you started. Remember, unions were created by a group of people who decided that they hate their jobs enough to go boss employers around, and after they became unemployable, created their union to give members the illusion that they are out for the good of the union, never mind that unions help destroy companies and create ineffective and uncompetitive businesses.

...that's an interesting take on things. Apparently they've been doctoring Texas textbooks for quite some time...
So, tell us all how unions are started then.

Unions were started to ensure safety, fair pay and benefits for workers who were blatently mistreated.

Now, it's unlikely white collar workers are going to get black lung in today's workplace, but employers are still going to do everything they can to screw over workers and workers need a way to fight back.

Quote:
You do know that you can start a union legally with just 3 people, right?

Yeah. You know how that ends?

*fired *new workers for less pay*
Yeah, besides the overly biased viewpoints, you stated why but not how unions are started.

Here is a source that shows how to start one. You can get legal status before your employer ever realizes what's going on in most cases.

But guess what, even in "right-to-work" states and "at-will" states, when a union is formed, it is still illegal to fire somebody based on their union status.

Yeah, there will be another excuse, but they cannot fire you automatically or within a specific timeline except for "just cause." And the burden of proof is on the employer, which for most businesses, is too much of a hassle to deal with.

And not being employed doesn't mean that the union dissolves either. So, firing the employee does nothing to the union itself, and the employer still has to deal with the union, even if the representatives no longer works there.

I think it's strange that I, who am strongly against unions, have more knowledge of unions than you, who are strongly for unions....
The answer to the problem with the major unions in the US isn't to get rid of unions, or collective bargaining.
Going back to criminal prosecution of collective bargaining (e.g. prior to Commonwealth vs. Hunt) is a horrible idea.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Motivating an unmotivated student is part of their job. It's not necassarily supposed to be easy. Will they always succeed? Probably not. You don't just absolve them from blame and just lay it all on the people there supposed to be there to help.

So how much of their time should they waste spend "doing their job" for these completely irredeemable students, all the while neglecting students who actually are going to make something out of themselves? Not saying some students won't take work to motivate, but there are bad eggs out there.

This is why standardized testing is also a farce. That, and then teachers are teaching based on what's on some worthless test and not any material that actually helps students learn anything about the world or themselves.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are other expamples of things they can do to pick up extra pay. Drivers ed is somthing like $32 an hour.

It also works for when the school adds extra classes. They give them out on priority for whoever has been there the longest too. It's not a volunteer and we pick the best person based off class load and other such things it's based solely on if you want it, it's in your field and have you been there longer than the other person that wants it too.

It's starting to sound to me like your state is just *** up, and you're countering my anecdotal evidence with your own.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-26 11:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Motivating an unmotivated student is part of their job.

I would say that's the parent's responsibility.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

Parents can't be assed to pay attention to their children. They're not paid for that.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-26 11:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This. Teachers play a role as well, but this.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 11:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Careful you two. Flav will get on your *** too.

How dare you suggest parents or students are to blame for a student's shortcomings. It's always the teacher.

Then again, I maintain he probably just likes to get my goat and doesn't actually give a damn, just wanting to draw me into this ***. I don't know why I keep letting him do it.

Surely this has been posted before, but hey. It's valid.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 12:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So how much of their time should they waste spend "doing their job" for these completely irredeemable students, all the while neglecting students who actually are going to make something out of themselves? Not saying some students won't take work to motivate, but there are bad eggs out there.

This is why standardized testing is also a farce. That, and then teachers are teaching based on what's on some worthless test and not any material that actually helps students learn anything about the world or themselves.
Well in your assessment of teachers being people that take up the vocation with certain ideals and put a lot into it and are emotionally invested would spend a lot of time on it. Wouldn't they?

Why would you have to neglect students that actually want to learn? Sure there are bad eggs out there. How does a teacher go about determining which kids they should just give up on and which are worth their time? Is teaching only worthwhile if you have only the best and most eager students? The rest would just refer to daycares?

Standardized tests seem to be more about getting funding and showing some kind of basic level of understanding but yeah not altogether helpful. A lot of the cirriculum is that way anyways. I've always been a fan of finding a way to implement more common sense classes that prepare kids for life beyond the classroom. No one really seems to be able to agree on how it should all be done though or how it can be monitored to make sure its showing signs of success and actually being implemented. All wrapped up in state and union ***.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 12:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's starting to sound to me like your state is just *** up, and you're countering my anecdotal evidence with your own.
It could be. I doubt it's much different anywhere else in the states but can only really give you an idea of the state of things here. Some of what I said is anecdotal evidence and some of it isn't. Much of it is how they operate in schools here. Incentives given out for seniority over performance. The bad kept with the good because they don't want to fire anyone or can't. There are a lot of problems with our school system that people aren't really doing much to change.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 12:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's their responsibility too. Idk what you guys think teachers are supposed to be doing in class if their not even responsible for being part of the motivation that makes kids want to learn lol.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 12:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The rest would just refer to daycares?

Inversely, I think trying to "not leave children behind" *ahem* is a big reason why schools are frequently just viewed as daycare these days.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-26 12:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Careful you two. Flav will get on your *** too.

How dare you suggest parents or students are to blame for a student's shortcomings. It's always the teacher.

Then again, I maintain he probably just likes to get my goat and doesn't actually give a damn, just wanting to draw me into this ***. I don't know why I keep letting him do it.

Surely this has been posted before, but hey. It's valid.
Your picture there would at least mean that the parents cared enough to go in there and complain about the grades lol...

It's not always the teacher thats to blame. It's also not always the student or family to blame either which you seem to think.

You should go into one of these inner city schools you seem to like to think you know a lot about and see if your assessment of teachers changes at all.

There are some pretty amazing ones out there along with some really shitty ones. It's ludicrous to think that all teachers are out for some noble purpose though and to think we should blindly hold every one of them in the highest regard.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-26 12:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you guys are going to argue about education standards and methods and all that jazz, I've got a slideshow for you: Finland's education system.

I've been saying since I was in school that the Prussian system we use just doesn't work. But that's because it wasn't strictly meant to teach students knowledge and abilities so much as obedience and conformity.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-26 12:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Finland's education system.

that was interesting.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 12:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You should go into one of these inner city schools you seem to like to think you know a lot about and see if your assessment of teachers changes at all.

I'm aware there are bad teachers in the inner city. But you're not getting my point as to why. 1) Not paid enough to deal with 2) students that have no interest in learning and can be downright hostile.

This is where you start to get the "teaching just because it's a job" crowd, and the downward spiral continues. Really it's almost two entirely different sets of issues, teaching in poor and/or inner city areas and teaching in affluent areas.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-26 12:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
If you guys are going to argue about education standards and methods and all that jazz, I've got a slideshow for you: Finland's education system.

But without an evaluation system we can't see who is best, and therefore, we can't see who wins!

IT CAN'T BE 'MURRICAN WITHOUT A WINNER.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 12:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer to the problem with the major unions in the US isn't to get rid of unions, or collective bargaining.
What is then?

Going back to criminal prosecution of collective bargaining (e.g. prior to Commonwealth vs. Hunt) is a horrible idea.
Nobody is suggesting that.
First Page 2 3 ... 332 333 334 ... 1375 1376 1377