Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 153 154 155 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 22:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Yes, let's. While admittedly, the clean energy industry still has a ways to go, do you not think we've made significant progress through all that research money? Do you think the multi-billion dollar industry is supported entirely by government tax dollars and they're not producing anything of real value? I just want to be clear on your stance.

I'm pretty sure I made my stance quite clear in previous posts today. No, I don't think that we have made enough progress given the amount of government money that has been handed over to the industry. I think it is has been corrupted by political motivations and has wasted too much money pointless projects. Do you need more clarification?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 22:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because you're not saying anything specific. Anyone can say there needs to be more progress, or political corruption, direct it at almost anything, and be correct.

Do you think the entire industry is supported entirely by government tax dollars and they're not putting out anything of value?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 22:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's also not a huge stretch to think that after billions (trillions?) of dollars of research, we would've been able to come up with something better than a 160+ year-old invention, the gas-powered internal combustion engine, yet here we are. But it's cool, we can keep funneling cash into green energy projects that won't make a dent but have the best lobbyists, and we'll be here in twenty years still fighting over whether or not global warming is a thing.
Well, you have to keep in mind that government funding incorporates a lot of different endeavors. I'm sure funds go to projects looking to build a better battery or making engines more efficient, but they also go to non-profitable research. So, things like climate monitoring, impact assessments, and preparedness plans - stuff that the government typically pays for since private funding sees no money in it. It's not flashy or revolutionary, but it's research that is vital to the bigger picture and befitting of the general role of government.

That's the problem. If man-made climate change is as much as a looming disaster as the alarmists claim, then a lot more of the money should go into making clean-energy products that could actually compete and/or excel in a global market. Nothing else will make a big enough difference, and it's the only way we'll ever reach some of the biggest polluters such as China and India. It'd be like NASA wasting so much money studying the moon that it never managed to build a craft capable of getting there.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 22:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
But didn't put weather satellites in orbit til much later. Don't you find it interesting that the earth started to warm when we started taking global measurements with satellites? Just look at the margin of error on your chart its obviously not unreasonable enough to note that the temp could have been higher back then if they even mark in on the chart.

Since you're still in this, do you mind responding to my questions on your position? You should be able to easily answer it because they are your positions, after all.

Quote:
Other than questions on methodology that I'm clearly not qualified to answer, do you have an assertive reasons why both these groups are putting out false information?

If you couldn't tell, I am really trying hard to have a reasonable, intelligent conversation with you, and I believe the left and the right can talk to each other as long as Jet isn't involved.

Also, the second chart is not part of the discussion, since it only covers part of the global and goes back well before the 19th century. It uses an entirely different methodology than the first chart.

The 2nd chart is the most interesting because it shows it's entirely possible the weather is exactly the same as it was 100's of years ago. If you don't see that then there is no point in trying to have a reasonable conversation.

Also, if you take both charts and say the 140yr one is weather and the 1000yrs one is climate. That would make you me and me you. wouldn't it?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 22:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because you're not saying anything specific. Anyone can say there needs to be more progress, or political corruption, direct it at almost anything, and be correct.

Do you think the entire industry is supported entirely by government tax dollars and they're not putting out anything of value?

No, I just expect more out of decades of research and my tax money than what we've got. The climate change industry is not the only government-funded industry I have beef with, btw. It just happens to be the current topic.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The 2nd chart is the most interesting because it shows it's entirely possible the weather is exactly the same as it was 100's of years ago. If you don't see that then there is no point in trying to have a reasonable conversation.

Also, if you take both charts and say the 140yr one is weather and the 1000yrs one is climate. That would make you me and me you. wouldn't it?

I will be happy to discuss the second graph with you once you just answer my question. Please.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I just expect more out of decades of research and my tax money than what we've got.

So you do acknowledge that the clean energy industry have made some progress through government funded research, even though it's not as much as you would have liked?
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 23:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I will be happy to discuss the second graph with you once you just answer my question. Please.

This one?
Quote:
Other than questions on methodology that I'm clearly not qualified to answer, do you have an assertive reasons why both these groups are putting out false information?

I never said it was false. It's flawed
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-20 23:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

we would've been able to come up with something better than a 160+ year-old invention, the gas-powered internal combustion engine, yet here we are.

The internal combustion engine technology of today is not even in the same category as the first engines. Manufacturers still use antiquated technology like poppet valves because there is no incentive to use actual modern technology like spherical valves. Coates came up with that valve technology that increases engine efficiency by as much as 120% over current standards. Another big problem with making cars more efficient is the oil industry lobbying against stricter CAFE standards and American's insistence on driving huge SUV's. Ford is going to be making the next F series with an aluminum body, it'll weigh about 15% less. We have the technology right now to make even SUV's get 80+ MPG, and we're on the verge of being able to build very close to zero emission vehicles with hydrogen cell technology. The big holdup being money for the infrastructure to deliver it and a financial incentive for manufacturers to actually make the cars.

So, basically, like just about everything green, there isn't much push to make them mainstream because energy companies pay a lot of money to keep politicians from introducing legislation to encourage it and Americans want to drive big *** gas guzzling SUV's. The technology is very nearly ready, but until it's a priority, it'll continue to take a back seat.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said it was false. It's flawed

Semantics doesn't really matter, but we can do it your way if it will move the conversation along.

Other than questions on methodology that I'm clearly not qualified to answer, do you have an assertive reasons why both these groups are putting out flawed information?
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 23:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I just expect more out of decades of research and my tax money than what we've got.

So you do acknowledge that the clean energy industry have made some progress through government funded research, even though it's not as much as you would have liked?

Not really,
Improved solar cells? Those are decades old.
Improved batteries? Batteries have been around for a Very long time.
Improved... Wind turbines? Again old.

Throwing money at MINOR improvements on old idea's is not good business.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-20 23:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the problem. If man-made climate change is as much as a looming disaster as the alarmists claim, then a lot more of the money should go into making clean-energy products that could actually compete and/or excel in a global market. Nothing else will make a big enough difference, and it's the only way we'll ever reach some of the biggest polluters such as China and India. It'd be like NASA wasting so much money studying the moon that it never managed to build a craft capable of getting there.
I don't understand why it's a problem. We can address the solution in the way you're saying, but it's also necessary to deal with and prepare for the consequences of a changing climate.

Your beef seems to be with the private industry, really. I'm okay with the government enabling their efforts, but I'm not really comfortable with pumping buttloads of cash into an industry that has little motivation to move away from the current energy model and already has enough money of their own to *** around with.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 23:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Always aiming for those small, pointless victories. You can read though, right? Or do I have to repeat everything I say for your clarification so you can extract a drop of "i wonz at the interwebs" juice out of it? Yes, a bunch of wasted money that could have been better spent elsewhere did manage to result in some progress. Go do your victory dance.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 23:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
we would've been able to come up with something better than a 160+ year-old invention, the gas-powered internal combustion engine, yet here we are.

The internal combustion engine technology of today is not even in the same category as the first engines. Manufacturers still use antiquated technology like poppet valves because there is no incentive to use actual modern technology like spherical valves. Coates came up with that valve technology that increases engine efficiency by as much as 120% over current standards. Another big problem with making cars more efficient is the oil industry lobbying against stricter CAFE standards and American's insistence on driving huge SUV's. Ford is going to be making the next F series with an aluminum body, it'll weigh about 15% less. We have the technology right now to make even SUV's get 80+ MPG, and we're on the verge of being able to build very close to zero emission vehicles with hydrogen cell technology. The big holdup being money for the infrastructure to deliver it and a financial incentive for manufacturers to actually make the cars.

So, basically, like just about everything green, there isn't much push to make them mainstream because energy companies pay a lot of money to keep politicians from introducing legislation to encourage it and Americans want to drive big *** gas guzzling SUV's. The technology is very nearly ready, but until it's a priority, it'll continue to take a back seat.

Alright not every person wants to drive a gas guzzling SUV, and if the tech exists to make them go 80 mile on a gallon of gas why isn't this miracle engine in a car and being advertised? More people want to drive a super fuel efficient car than a gas guzzling SUV. Your logic is unsound. If the Oil company's are so powerful why does the Prius even exists?
And You people talk about conservatives being all paranoid of conspiracy.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 23:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Always aiming for those small, pointless victories. You can read though, right? Or do I have to repeat everything I say for your clarification so you can extract a drop of "i wonz at the interwebs" juice out of it? Yes, a bunch of wasted money that could have been better spent elsewhere did manage to result in some progress. Go do your victory dance.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really,
Improved solar cells? Those are decades old.
Improved batteries? Batteries have been around for a Very long time.
Improved... Wind turbines? Again old.

Throwing money at MINOR improvements on old idea's is not good business.

Wait a minute.

You literally denying that the clean energy industry has made progress over the years through government funded research, and then listed a number of areas where there have been improvements.

This doesn't really make sense. Please clarify.

Also, will you also please answer this question.

Quote:
Other than questions on methodology that I'm clearly not qualified to answer, do you have an assertive reasons why both these groups are putting out flawed information?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-20 23:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you honestly think that those technologies you listed have seen only minor improvements? That's pretty dense.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 23:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand why it's a problem. We can address the solution in the way you're saying, but it's also necessary to deal with and prepare for the consequences of a changing climate.

Your beef seems to be with the private industry, really. I'm okay with the government enabling their efforts, but I'm not really comfortable with pumping buttloads of cash into an industry that has little motivation to move away from the current energy model and already has enough money of their own to *** around with.

Sorry, me and my reading comprehension are having a problem.
I missed the part where Rav said he was Okay with this. So I'm kinda confused on why you would even bring it up..
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Winning internet arguments really isn't that big a deal to me.

I'm more interested in why, after years upon years, the left and the right aren't able to communicate in a coherent way.

We may disagree on how efficient that money has been spent, but if you think there has been progress, can then I also get you to agree that cutting off funding will damper or maybe even haul any progress at all, however little, that we've been making over the decades?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 23:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Your beef seems to be with the private industry, really. I'm okay with the government enabling their efforts, but I'm not really comfortable with pumping buttloads of cash into an industry that has little motivation to move away from the current energy model.

If I'm worried about intruders breaking into my house, should I buy a frickin' security system or should I hire a committee to investigate all the possible consequences of having my house broken into? If you fix the problem at the source, you don't have to waste extra energy considering all the possible consequences.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 23:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Winning internet arguments really isn't that big a deal to me.

I'm more interested in why, after years upon years, the left and the right aren't able to communicate in a coherent way.

We may disagree on how efficient that money has been spent, but if you think there has been progress, can then I also get you to agree that cutting off funding will damper or maybe even haul any progress at all, however little, that we've been making over the decades?

Well that's where you misunderstand me then. I'm not saying cut off all funding, I'm saying if you're going to spend money on it then don't spend it in stupid ways.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-20 23:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright not every person wants to drive a gas guzzling SUV, and if the tech exists to make them go 80 mile on a gallon of gas why isn't this miracle engine in a car and being advertised? More people want to drive a super fuel efficient car than a gas guzzling SUV. Your logic is unsound. If the Oil company's are so powerful why does the Prius even exists?
And You people talk about conservatives being all paranoid of conspiracy.

I spent 3 years with Nissan Technical Center testing and developing. If you had a clue how car design works and what has to be done to meet price points, you'd think twice before running your mouth about my logic.

Look it up, genius, spherical rotary valves, gas direct injection, hydrogen fuel cells, etc etc etc. Nobody is building them because they cost an arm and a leg and they are in business to make money. Until we literally run out of oil or it's illegal to build them the way they do now, the technology will sit and collect dust.

You should look into what it takes to shave just a few dollars off the production cost of a car.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's where you misunderstand me then. I'm not saying cut off all funding, I'm saying if you're going to spend money on it then don't spend it in stupid ways.

And that's a completely reasonable sentiment to have.

Can you give any specifics?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 23:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You should look into what it takes to shave just a few dollars off the production cost of a car.

If it's anything like the industry I'm currently working with, the answer is to lay off as many people as you can in an attempt to save money until all the workers quit because they now have much larger workloads and the same pay as before. Works like a charm until it all collapses under its own weight.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2014-11-20 23:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's anything like the industry I'm currently working with, the answer is to lay off as many people as you can in an attempt to save money until all the workers quit because they now have much larger workloads and the same pay as before. Works like a charm until it all collapses under its own weight.
Sounds like every recessive industry ever.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 23:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

AO, I know you're still in this thread.

Here if the question I presented before:
Quote:

If you don't have any reasons, do you acknowledge that the average global temperature is rising then?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-20 23:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm worried about intruders breaking into my house, should I buy a frickin' security system or should I hire a committee to investigate all the possible consequences of having my house broken into? If you fix the problem at the source, you don't have to waste extra energy considering all the possible consequences.
Terrible analogy. I think the problem is this idea that once we find a way to manage our emissions that the earth will reverse course quickly and everything goes back to normal. Even if (BIG IF) we kept emissions steady immediately, a trend reversal is going to take decades to show a significant decline. So, yeah, preparedness is necessary.

I live in the Southwest so you can be sure funding has gone into assessing water resources in order to draw up ways in which long-term drought can be dealt with. Meanwhile, private industries are looking into different ways to tap and sell other resources since there's actual money to be made there. That leaves the government to fund the work no one else bothers to do.
Sorry, me and my reading comprehension are having a problem.
I missed the part where Rav said he was Okay with this. So I'm kinda confused on why you would even bring it up..
Well, I'm confused with what Rav actually wants so you'll excuse me if I have to fill in the blanks somehow.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-20 23:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's a completely reasonable sentiment to have.

Can you give any specifics?

I appreciate that you're nicer than you used to be, but you ask way too many questions to reasonably expect an answer to all of them. This is especially true when, as in this case, such questions could be answered by simply looking back at previous comments. I can't tell if you're baiting or just curious, but it gets tedious having to repeat myself.
First Page 2 3 ... 153 154 155 ... 1375 1376 1377