Georgia Expands Gun Carry Rights

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Georgia expands Gun Carry Rights
Georgia expands Gun Carry Rights
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 09:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Link here

Quote:
CHRISTINA A. CASSIDY
Associated Press

ELLIJAY, Ga. (AP) -- Criticized by one group as the "guns everywhere" bill, Georgia took a big step Wednesday toward expanding where licensed carriers can take their weapons, with the governor signing a law that allows them in bars without restriction and in some churches, schools and government buildings under certain circumstances.

Following mass shootings in recent years, some states have pursued stronger limits on guns while others like Georgia have taken the opposite path, with advocates arguing that people should be allowed to carry weapons as an issue of public safety. Republicans control large majorities in the Georgia General Assembly, and the bill passed overwhelming despite objections from some religious leaders and local government officials.

A few hundred gun rights supporters gathered at an outdoor pavilion along a river in north Georgia in the town of Ellijay for the bill signing by Gov. Nathan Deal and a barbecue. Many sported "Stop Gun Control" buttons and several had weapons holstered at their side. House Speaker David Ralston offered a thinly veiled critique of those who might oppose the bill while describing the people of his district.

"This is the apple capital of Georgia. And, yes, it's a community where we cling to our religion and our guns," Ralston said, drawing big applause in referencing a past comment made by President Barack Obama.

The bill makes several changes to state law and takes effect July 1. Besides in bars without restrictions, guns could be brought into some government buildings that don't have certain security measures, such as metal detectors or security guards screening visitors. Religious leaders would have the final say as to whether guns can be carried into their place of worship.

And school districts would now be able, if they choose, to allow some employees to carry a firearm on school grounds under certain conditions.

"This bill is about the good guys, you guys," bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse, R-Jasper, told the crowd. "Amid all the misinformation and emotions, one must remember that this bill isn't about irresponsibly arming the masses. This is a bill about safety and responsibility."

Opponents, however, include Americans for Responsible Solutions, a group co-founded by former Democratic Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who survived a shooting in 2011 and started a nationwide campaign on gun control. The group's executive director Pia Carusone on its website said, "the bill is extremism in action; it moves Georgia out of the mainstream."

The Georgia Municipal Association also was among those raising concerns, sending a letter to Deal arguing local governments couldn't afford to increase security. Deal, in his remarks, argued the bill empowers local decisions.

"House Bill 60 will protect law-abiding citizens by expanding the number of places that they can carry their guns without penalty, while at the same time this bill respects the rights of private property owners who still set the rules for their land and their buildings," Deal said.

That would include bar owners, who could post that firearms are not permitted in their establishments.

In Vienna, a city of about 4,000 residents south of Macon, it would cost $60,000 annually to increase security at city buildings, said Mayor Pro Tem Beth English. English, president of the Georgia Municipal Association, said she supports gun rights and has a carry permit but worries the added security costs will force the city to increase taxes.

"Do we raise taxes to provide the police protection or do we take the risk of potential injury to our public?" English said, noting emotions sometimes run high at city hall.

Some religious leaders also opposed the law, saying it will increase confusion. Under it, the assumption is still that guns aren't allowed unless otherwise noted. The law adds a provision, however, that those in violation cannot be arrested or fined more than $100 if they have a valid permit.

"This is the gun lobby foisting their agenda on churches, and I think it's a tragic violation of church and state," said the Rev. Raphael G. Warnock of Ebenezer Baptist Church.

It's unclear whether any school districts plan to take advantage of the new law, but proponents hope it will deter violence.

"Schools have been gun-free zones for some time and those have been where some of the biggest instances of violence have occurred," said Gary Holland, a retired firefighter from Dawsonville who attended the bill signing. "If I'm a criminal, I would select a target where I know guns are not allowed because it would make the pickings easier."

The bill passed largely along party lines in the House and Senate. The most prominent Democrat to back the bill was state Sen. Jason Carter, who is running for governor.

Carter, the grandson of former President Jimmy Carter, reiterated his support for the Second Amendment and noted he had worked to improve the bill to "ensure that places of worship have a real choice on whether to allow guns on their properties."
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 09:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Does that mean I can carry my firearm at a gun show ? That would be great.

So people are scared that law abiding citizens. Carrying guns places are all the sudden going to flip out and kill people ?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Does that mean I can carry my firearm at a gun show ? That would be great.
I don't know. And I don't if carrying to a Gun Show in my state is allowed either. I have no need to go yet, but I am certain I wold check the rules part before going to see if we can carry or not, so that I can abide lawfully.

fonewear said: »
So people are scared that law abiding citizens. Carrying guns places are all the sudden going to flip out and kill people ?
I think I heard some woman, leader of the opposition to this, stating that it was a bad idea to allow in bars with alcohol. Never mind the fact that the owner of an establishment can ban them in the first place.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 10:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I am pro-guns, but guns in bars is a REALLY BAD IDEA.
They didn't even allow guns in bars during the "wild west" days D:
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have nothing against concealed carry permits and allowing them to be exercised by those who have obtained them. I'm even okay with them being in school assuming they're on guards and properly trained and licensed educational professionals.

But that said, this quote is absolutely ridiculous:

Quote:
"Schools have been gun-free zones for some time and those have been where some of the biggest instances of violence have occurred," said Gary Holland, a retired firefighter from Dawsonville who attended the bill signing. "If I'm a criminal, I would select a target where I know guns are not allowed because it would make the pickings easier."

Schools are not targeted because there are fewer weapons there. Schools are targeted for very specific reason. It's because that's the place where, to the perpetrator, the perceived injustice either happened or can be somehow vindicated.

According to this guy, shootings should never happen on military bases. But oh, wait...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
But what if I am going to be sober, like I always am when I carry, and want to hang out with the guys? Yea I know others will NOT be as cautious about that. Tho in my state I think you can drink and open carry, however you can't drink and conceal carry, IIRC.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

However, with respect to what I posted above, I believe the requirements for the above-mentioned permits should be higher.

- No history of any legal convictions. Especially if they're violence-related, but not even DUIs. If you've had a DUI, it means you've irresponsibly endangered people with a lethal object.

Guns and alcohol are not a good mix either but, strictly speaking, I suspect most people that would take a gun into a bar were going to do so anyhow, with or without legal permission.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 10:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skulloneix said: »
But what if I am going to be sober, like I always am when I carry, and want to hang out with the guys? Yea I know others will NOT be as cautious about that. Tho in my state I think you can drink and open carry, however you can't drink and conceal carry, IIRC.
Even if you are sober the majority of the people there are not sober and are probably acting like idiots and idiots tend to instigate something that usually can be resolved without a gun.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-24 10:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Parts of the article sound as if it was written by the onion.

article said: »
"This bill is about the good guys, you guys," bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse, R-Jasper, told the crowd. "Amid all the misinformation and emotions, one must remember that this bill isn't about irresponsibly arming the masses. This is a bill about safety and responsibility."

Opponents, however, include Americans for Responsible Solutions, a group co-founded by former Democratic Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who survived a shooting in 2011 and started a nationwide campaign on gun control.

A Rep named Jasperse representing Jasper, talking about bill as a solution of responsibility being opposed by a group called Americas for Responsible Solutions..
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you are sober the majority of the people there are not sober and are probably acting like idiots and idiots tend to instigate something that usually can be resolved without a gun.
Of course, and I hope that something that would need to be resolved with a firearm not happen inside the bar. I doubt it would. I would be more concerned walking to my vehicle after TBH.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Parts of the article sound as if it was written by the onion.
article said: »
"This bill is about the good guys, you guys," bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse, R-Jasper, told the crowd. "Amid all the misinformation and emotions, one must remember that this bill isn't about irresponsibly arming the masses. This is a bill about safety and responsibility." Opponents, however, include Americans for Responsible Solutions, a group co-founded by former Democratic Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who survived a shooting in 2011 and started a nationwide campaign on gun control.
A Rep named Jasperse representing Jasper, talking about bill as a solution of responsibility being opposed by a group called Americas for Responsible Solutions..

Yeah, well. 1) It is the South and 2) political groups always give themselves puffed-up sounding names trying to imply they're obviously doing the right thing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tell you what, though. If you follow the link provided, the picture with the article definitely chills my bones.

That's a group of very self-satisfied middle-aged white men. The implication is, of course, that it's this legislation being signed...but I can see the alternate thought bubbles coming from those faces. "Let's see how those *** (women/blacks/immigrants/liberals/etc.) like this juicy bit of legislation! I'll teach them to screw with me."
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-24 10:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone tell me where in the bible it says you need to bring a gun to church?
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Can someone tell me where in the bible it says you need to bring a gun to church?
Pretty shure it don't but if I remember all my teachings, somewhere said "Thou shall not kill" & "thou shall not steal" or something.

I think only the Immortals from Highlander respect Holy Ground anymore. =/
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think only the Immortals from Highlander respect Holy Ground anymore. =/

Ehhh. We try, but like many Christians, it really only comes into play once or twice a year.
[+]
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
By Kalyna Maimhov 2014-04-24 10:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ephesians 6:16 says
"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked"

shield of faith could mean gun

therefore you can take a gun to church to get rid of all the wicked.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-24 10:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if you go to a mosque, or synagogue.

Then it's encouraged.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalyna Maimhov said: »
"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked"

Neat, I am too lazy to check that, but my shield of faith is faith that people have enough upbringing and respect for holy grounds of all cultures, NOT to commit acts of heinousness on them. But sadly the shield of faith of mine is chipped slowly and gradually by radicals and hate mongers. =/
[+]
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2014-04-24 10:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget the Bullets of Love.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 11:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

the "wild west" days were actually very regulated times in regards to guns, it was kind of part of the problem.

but yes guns+alcohol don't mix.
[+]
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
By Kalyna Maimhov 2014-04-24 11:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
the "wild west" days were actually very regulated times in regards to guns, it was kind of part of the problem.

Tell that to the bachelor playing CoD next door...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 11:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course, and I hope that something that would need to be resolved with a firearm not happen inside the bar. I doubt it would. I would be more concerned walking to my vehicle after TBH.
Don't go to clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe on the inside.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 11:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell that to the bachelor playing CoD next door...
can't fix stupid
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-04-24 11:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the book of Ephesians predicted the invention of gun powder in China nine centuries after the fact?

Nostradamus will not be pleased with this revelation.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 11:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad I live in an open carry state, but I plan to take a class or something first, well just because I think it would be a good idea.

Need to find the time/money though, as usual.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 11:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I would hate to, and I don't anymore. I don't think we really have Bar establishments tho. And places around me that do, I can't carry due to the law of that land...

I'm glad I live in an open carry state, but I plan to take a class or something first, well just because I think it would be a good idea.

Need to find the time/money though, as usual.
MMhmmm. Wish I knew a place to send ya, place I went to downsized and no longer does classes anymore.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-24 12:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Neat, I am too lazy to check that, but my shield of faith is faith that people have enough upbringing and respect for holy grounds of all cultures, NOT to commit acts of heinousness on them. But sadly the shield of faith of mine is chipped slowly and gradually by radicals and hate mongers. =/

I never quite understood the supposid severity of committing the crime on 'holy ground'. That seems to imply that its better to kill a person on the street then to kill them on 'special' ground. Isnt the crime just as severe either way?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 12:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

why would people respect something that they think is stupid, or irrelevant or blasphemous to their own?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 12:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
I never quite understood the supposid severity of committing the crime on 'holy ground'. That seems to imply that its better to kill a person on the street then to kill them on 'special' ground. Isnt the crime just as severe either way?
It is still severe, but respect for a neutral/sanctified ground, where people are suppose to come and gather for peace. I would put it along the lines of shooting someone that has a white flag raised in surrender, in that you just don't do that.

why would people respect something that they think is stupid, or irrelevant or blasphemous to their own?
Cause society says to be better there? /shrug. clearly if a criminal with no regard for others nor his own, will not hesitate due to being on a religious area. It is a faith of mine that even criminals do believe in some respect for this. /more shrugs. I guess I have not given up on humanity entirely.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 12:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, I'm just not usually one to do something, or adhere to something just because society says so. To each their own.
[+]
First Page 2