users online
P&R
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Altimaomega 2014-04-19 22:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Altimaomega said: »
Not that actual definitions matter to people who constantly misuse words for hyperbole, but "anti-tax" means refusal to pay taxes. What you're talking about is the TEA party (taxed enough already) public message, which isn't "anti-tax" but "anti-tax money being spent on stuff I don't like".

I see, well fml for for getting that confused.

Reread that...
I understood just thought that was funny.

Pretty sure they are also for no more taxes, and getting rid of some. Tax money is spent on stuff that it should not be, yet another problem.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-19 22:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that actual definitions matter to people who constantly misuse words for hyperbole, but "anti-tax" means refusal to pay taxes. What you're talking about is the TEA party (taxed enough already) public message, which isn't "anti-tax" but "anti-tax money being spent on stuff I don't like".

Reread that...

Pretty sure they are also for no more taxes, and getting rid of some. Tax money is spent on stuff that it should not be, yet another problem.

Which would be admirable, if they actually gave a crap about it... It also doesn't change the definition of "anti-tax", and you attacked multiple posters for your misuse of the word. Do you not understand how you generate the reaction you do?
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-19 22:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you not understand how you generate the reaction you do?
Most people don't. I'll admit I've been guilty of it (you may recall that argument you and I had several months back). Some people seem more prone than others, though.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-19 22:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Reread that...

Which would be admirable, if they actually gave a crap about it... It also doesn't change the definition of "anti-tax", and you attacked multiple posters for your misuse of the word. Do you not understand how you generate the reaction you do?

Would you be mad if I said yes? xD Also to be fair, they attack me just as badly.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-19 22:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Do you not understand how you generate the reaction you do?
Most people don't. I'll admit I've been guilty of it (you may recall that argument you and I had several months back). Some people seem more prone than others, though.

I generally approach each post with the poster deliberately outside of the viewing area, but I am rarely surprised by who an incendiary remark is coming from.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-19 22:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you be mad if I said yes? xD
Meaning you are a troll? You don't actually care about the debate as much as getting a rise out of people?
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-19 22:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

[

Would you be mad if I said yes? xD Also to be fair, they attack me just as badly.

Not at all, you and Aman are just alike, post nothing, derail, deflect, run away. Also, you aren't being attacked. Again with the victim thing?
By Altimaomega 2014-04-19 22:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OK Jassik is being a peacekeeper, lets have a redo! Pretty sure this will turn out the same exact way but hey, lets give it a go!

I am for No more taxes, and getting rid of some. Tax money is spent on stuff that it should not be, yet another problem. Plus, I'm Anti-Big government. Oh and the militarization of the police and fed. agency's piss me off to.

Bring on the love.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-19 22:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
[

Not at all, you and Aman are just alike, no more taxes, and getting rid of some. Tax money is spent on stuff that it should not be, yet another problem. Also, you aren't being attacked. Again with the victim thing?

I don't Blist anybody, but you are asking for it by doing exactly what you say I do. (see bold)

HAHAHA you ninja edited the *** outta that!
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-19 22:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Militarization of the police? This is a new talking point. Do explain.

As for the rest of your stuff, you've now made defensible and rational statements. Are you looking for someone to agree/disagree? Unless it's the topic of debate (which it presently isn't), mostly all that many of us demand is that your position be sensible regardless of whether we share it.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-19 22:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats nice. You still haven't posted anything. How did I ninjaedit that when it still says what you quoted?
By Altimaomega 2014-04-19 22:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Thats nice. You still haven't posted anything. How did I ninjaedit that when it still says what you quoted?

lol
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-19 22:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Militarization of the police? This is a new talking point. Do explain.

Militarization of police is a catchphrase, but the effect is real. More and more, police are involved in aggressive action and the stories just keep piling up. The guy from Colorado being detained and illegally searched with no probable cause, the East Indian guy in AZ being detained and harassed for hours about being an illegal Mexican immigrant and then suspicion of being a terrorist, protesters being attack (not the morons in NV), the guy that was arrested and forcibly cavity searched multiple times for suspicion of drug trafficking...

I've been stopped multiple times for having a tail-light or license plate light out, that wasn't out, and asked to take a sobriety test or told they smell pot and want to search the car, etc. I'm sure other people have had these experiences.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-19 22:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that new, though? I've never had anything remotely like that happen: when I've been pulled over, I had definitely done something to deserve it. But I'm also white and relatively non-threatening in appearance.

But, seriously, is "abuse of power" really new, whether we call it militarization or not? As a literature buff, I've read no end of stories about cops in the big city who not only know everyone's business but, because populations were small even just a century ago, knew everyone by face and name and could basically strong-arm their way into doing whatever they wanted (within limits, of course). I know literature isn't real life, but I'm not sure I see a big difference between Office O'Grady "checking up on me" or the police showing up in Gestapo uniforms and face-obscuring helmets. One is just more immediately intimidating than the other.

Or, hell, let's just go to simple case law: you're familiar with the case that gave us "Miranda" rights, correct? That was, what, 60 years ago now?
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-20 02:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking forward to the next election, when republicans retake the senate and impeach obama. Or for some odd reason democrats hold the senate, take the house and civil wars insue's.

I'm up for either, will be better than wtf is going on now.
Wow first person problem whinging.

If you really think a civil war occuring in the worlds richest country would be better than what we have now then you should really check out the recent civil wars in other countries.

Those have not turned out well so far and it will be years if not decades before they will turn out for the "better".

There are many things I do not like about the US but hoping for a civil war is just.....I guess you hate freedom.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-20 02:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking forward to the next election, when republicans retake the senate and impeach obama. Or for some odd reason democrats hold the senate, take the house and civil wars insue's.

I'm up for either, will be better than wtf is going on now.

I'm sorry dude, I know I'm technically "on your side", but it's time for a reality check. Even if Republicans take the Senate, Obama will not be impeached. If Democrats hold it, there won't be any civil wars. It'll just be the same old song and dance we're already used to.

Republicans will gain seats, it's just something that happens with midterm elections. Don't get your hopes up for any meaningful change regardless of the outcome, though.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-20 02:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Impeach doesn't mean recall. You can't recall a president, sorry-oes!
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-20 06:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of civil wars anyone else notice the complete media blackout of Syria since Obama humiliated himself and the United States with his "red lines" tough guy talk?

Thousands still dying, Assad remaining in power as predicted. Not a peep about the humanitarian disaster. One day I hope liberals look back with honesty about the huge assist this President has gotten from the media before and during his entire Presidency. Though the more likely scenario will be teachers and professors rewriting history and brainwashing students.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 07:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
One day I hope liberals look back with honesty
Can we ask the same thing of conservatives, Iraq, and Bush's Presidency, then?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-20 08:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of civil wars anyone else notice the complete media blackout of Syria since Obama humiliated himself and the United States with his "red lines" tough guy talk?

Thousands still dying, Assad remaining in power as predicted. Not a peep about the humanitarian disaster. One day I hope liberals look back with honesty about the huge assist this President has gotten from the media before and during his entire Presidency. Though the more likely scenario will be teachers and professors rewriting history and brainwashing students.

Uh, for someone who claims to be informed, you are far from it. I've seen about 5 stories on various major US outlets, heck, NPR had a multi-part story on Syria yesterday. Just because Fox hasn't run a story...
By Yuukari 2014-04-20 08:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we please stop derailing threads and see whether or not the mods will look into this? Seriously this is not a P&R thread, take your crap elsewhere.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-20 08:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
We've tried this, OP.

Let me be the first to say that unmaining this section does not stop the onslaught whether inept or extreme jackassery. I've said this to quite a few people on this forum that if you don't like an opinion posted in any thread, don't feel that you're obligated to answer it to set things right because after all, this is the internet and like every social thing out there, there are indeed traps that you'll fall into. So if you can't bother to stand your ground while getting ridiculed by a 9 year old armchair expert, perhaps it's best to avoid such confrontations.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-20 09:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yuukari said: »
Can we please stop derailing threads and see whether or not the mods will look into this? Seriously this is not a P&R thread, take your crap elsewhere.

The mods have answered this question already, derailment is inevitable... just sit back and enjoy the show.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-20 11:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh, for someone who claims to be informed, you are far from it. I've seen about 5 stories on various major US outlets, heck, NPR had a multi-part story on Syria yesterday. Just because Fox hasn't run a story...

As I said, the US is halfway done destroying Syria's chemical weapons arsenal, while Putin does nothing. Obama took the lead on the issue the day after Putin wrote his cute little op-ed. Nice try tho.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 11:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

OK Jassik is being a peacekeeper, lets have a redo! Pretty sure this will turn out the same exact way but hey, lets give it a go!

I am for No more taxes, and getting rid of some. Tax money is spent on stuff that it should not be, yet another problem. Plus, I'm Anti-Big government. Oh and the militarization of the police and fed. agency's piss me off to.

Bring on the love.
The problem with this is that neither major party, nor the splinter group of the Republican party: the tea party, are interested in fixing any such thing.

Aside from the idea of "no new taxes" being irrational, as times change.

You'd need to find a party who's both anti-fascist (aka anti-corporatist) and anti-wasteful spending, but at the same time one who isn't going to waste time by attacking useful programs, and actually try to improve things.

@the SCOTUS thing earlier: As we should all know, I'm very much against the precedent set forth by Marbury Vs. Madison, and that the SCOTUS really should be put in their place. While at the same time I wish states would finally understand the Supremacy clause and stop with pointless arguments over laws passed by the US Congress. (I'm looking at you VA).

The police have militarized, and you can thank the (lol) war on drugs for that one. People really should pay attention to history and realize that nothing good comes out of deregulating something by making it illegal. I mean prohibition made certain families wealthy and pretty much progressed organized crime several fold.

We could sit around all day and make note of where both parties get things wrong, and prioritize what each party does to society and how they effect us and what we hold as to more important. As I realize there isn't anyone being elected that I'd like to throw my support behind, I literally elect those who get more points in my book.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-04-20 16:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The mods have answered this question already, derailment is inevitable... just sit back and enjoy the show.

Yes.

Read all 6 pages, Yuukari. You'll understand our predicament.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-20 16:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »

Yes.

Read all 6 pages, Yuukari. You'll understand our predicament.

Objection! Modcat posting without lolpics.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-04-20 16:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine...

This is how I moderate political threads.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 17:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

/Hadouken!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 17:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly you need a mod that moderates with an iron fist!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8