Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares Of Square Enix

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-18 13:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
What is there to apologize for? XIII was pretty bad with its linear design.

I gotta disagree. While 13 definitely aint near the top of there best games in the series, it was something that i wanted. We have gotten used to a massive amount of side quests, that in themselves can be longer then the storyline, and exploring the world. I had always wondered what a FF game would be like that didn't have those as a factor. 13 was just that. Low side quests and straight forward game play. Again, while it wasn't anywhere near the best game ever, it was something i wanted. So i wont criticize it for those factors.
a lot of us, myself included love the side quests.

Honestly if you think about it, a lot of the games have very little overall story and you can plow through them in no time. But granted, some of the games are a better mix, and vary greatly from WRPG's in where it's mostly side quests.

I can see your point.

yeah, people can speed run Skyrim in under and hour.

Also FF13 totally got a bad wrap for being 'Too Linear' and I wouldn't even say 13 is the most linear FF game, I think that "Honor" goes to FF10, that game didn't even have an 'Open Field' section in the game like 13 did.

that being said, with SE saying that because of the Success of Bravely Default that they're not afraid to go more 'old school' again gives me hope. Hope that FF16 will be a FF game in the vein of like FF9.
[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-18 13:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »

I gotta disagree. While 13 definitely aint near the top of there best games in the series, it was something that i wanted. We have gotten used to a massive amount of side quests, that in themselves can be longer then the storyline, and exploring the world. I had always wondered what a FF game would be like that didn't have those as a factor. 13 was just that. Low side quests and straight forward game play. Again, while it wasn't anywhere near the best game ever, it was something i wanted. So i wont criticize it for those factors.

Honestly if you think about it, a lot of the games have very little overall story and you can plow through them in no time. But granted, some of the games are a better mix, and vary greatly from WRPG's in where it's mostly side quests.

I can see your point.

yeah, people can speed run Skyrim in under and hour.

Also FF13 totally got a bad wrap for being 'Too Linear' and I wouldn't even say 13 is the most linear FF game, I think that "Honor" goes to FF10, that game didn't even have an 'Open Field' section in the game like 13 did.

that being said, with SE saying that because of the Success of Bravely Default that they're not afraid to go more 'old school' again gives me hope. Hope that FF16 will be a FF game in the vein of like FF9.

I'm interested.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 13:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »
a lot of us, myself included love the side quests. Honestly if you think about it, a lot of the games have very little overall story and you can plow through them in no time. But granted, some of the games are a better mix, and vary greatly from WRPG's in where it's mostly side quests. I can see your point.
yeah, people can speed run Skyrim in under and hour. Also FF13 totally got a bad wrap for being 'Too Linear' and I wouldn't even say 13 is the most linear FF game, I think that "Honor" goes to FF10, that game didn't even have an 'Open Field' section in the game like 13 did. that being said, with SE saying that because of the Success of Bravely Default that they're not afraid to go more 'old school' again gives me hope. Hope that FF16 will be a FF game in the vein of like FF9.
I'm interested.

I would absolutely squee like a little girl if they gave us a game on par with IX with modern graphics.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-18 14:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see your point.

Many of the side quests are fun, do doubt. Like raising and racing chocobos in 7. But there are some i hated, like most of them in 10. Damn choco race with diving birds, butterfly's, dodging lightning /shudders...
But pretty much most FF titles have had there share of side quests. Thats why i was interested in seeing one with out so many.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 14:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

I would absolutely squee like a little girl if they gave us a game on par with IX with modern graphics.
I'd imagine if they re-released XI with some engine updates, it would do extremely well.
Having a plan that allows for migration away from PS2 would be nice, but it depends on how many existing players still use it.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 14:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see your point.

Many of the side quests are fun, do doubt. Like raising and racing chocobos in 7. But there are some i hated, like most of them in 10. Damn choco race with diving birds, butterfly's, dodging lightning /shudders...
But pretty much most FF titles have had there share of side quests. Thats why i was interested in seeing one with out so many.
The lightning one didn't bother me, but I'm up there with you on the race. that and the jump rope *** goddamn JP only miniagame on 9.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 14:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few cancellations or at least delays as a result of this.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 14:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

I'd imagine if they re-released XI with some engine updates, it would do extremely well.
Having a plan that allows for migration away from PS2 would be nice, but it depends on how many existing players still use it.

Without an engine update, there's no point.

But it'd be great if they rebuilt it, fixed their code, etc.

But that would require time/resources/money spent on it, and the unfortunate reality is that I doubt there's enough of a market to justify it.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-04-18 14:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Their loss, SE won't be hurt!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 14:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow this means XI is dying.

Actually Sony has been in a selloff frenzy.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 14:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Somehow this means XI is dying.

Actually Sony has been in a selloff frenzy.

Who said that? (don't feel like rereading).
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-04-18 14:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

13 is honestly not a bad game, it's just not a classic/masterpiece like every FF fan expected it to be. I enjoyed the game a lot, to a point to take a break from FFXI for it. But I know FFXIII is not a game I'd remember after 1 year, unlike other classic RPG I've played.

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
SE makes games for Xbox. Sony indirectly profited from that. I'm going to take cover before all the console war fanboy heads start exploding.
and PC/Steam, and Nintendo and Android and Iphone's too... Hell, even Ouya.

how do you feel about this Gabe Newell?

SE used to make games for Sony only, now they mostly make mobile games lol.
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 14:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Their loss, SE won't be hurt!

Jan SE stock 35.00 a share
Now 17.50

I'm not a math whiz but how does that not affect SE?
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is too big to fail lolz.... how can't people see this? It will become sold before it just falls off the planet, your games will not be going anywhere. Really funny how OP seems to suggest this means XI will end or any SE game that pulls in the cash. Dream on pplz XD
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-18 14:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Refia1 said: »
SE is too big to fail lolz.... how can't people see this? It will become sold before it just falls off the planet, your games will not be going anywhere. Really funny how OP seems to suggest this means XI will end or any SE game that pulls in the cash. Dream on pplz XD

It was a joke, hence me goofing around with my edit. And in light of the original article at hand, I think Sony thought they would be too big to fail financially in certain respects.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 14:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

What was the last game for SE that pulled in a profit?
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 14:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

They just lost 50 percent of their net worth in 2 months. A huge share holder who helped fund new games. If FFxi or FFXIV start to cost more to keep running than profit than YES they will shut down.
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI and FFXIV are their best money makers, are you crazy? Plz take off the doomsday hat lolz. If anything happens to SE, they will be BOUGHT BY SOMEONE ELSE. plz understand that lol. They would not terminate their money makers.

Quote:
What was the last game for SE that pulled in a profit?

This is irrelevant.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 14:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So operating at a loss is irrelevant? Lol...
[+]
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

No idea what you referring to. You are trying to say operating FFXI or FFXIV is a loss to them atm? Please show me the data cuz it is very contrary to that.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 14:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has been in the red for at least 5 years now, there is more to the company than 2 games, especially since 14 was a disaster for the first 2 years. This shouldn't need to be explained.
By Refia1 2014-04-18 15:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has been in the red for at least 5 years now, there is more to the company than 2 games, especially since 14 was a disaster for the first 2 years. This shouldn't need to be explained.

ok and what u arent understand is that if they indeed fail and collapse, someone else will buy them. I fail to see how this news interrupts anyone day. You think FFXIV, FFXI or any SE IP will vanish from the world simply because this company is dead?
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 15:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea what you referring to. You are trying to say operating FFXI or FFXIV is a loss to them atm? Please show me the data cuz it is very contrary to that.

Seriously? Do you know how much 14 cost them 2 make? They will be in the hole for a long time on that game. You need to take a business class to understand how this works. Tell me this genius who are they selling the company 2? What makes you think that new owners can turn this company around? There is a bigger picture you fail 2 see. I never said they would fail what I did say is if the losses become more than profits, than it is a possibility.
[+]
By Refia1 2014-04-18 15:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

No duh XD I think every1 knows that... The OP of this thread made it seem like doom was eminent. cmon pplz we know better than that lol. It doesn't matter who will buy them, someone will, Disney lolz. The brand of Final Fantasy or most SE games is too much to simply vanish.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 15:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

ok and what u arent understand is that if they indeed fail and collapse, someone else will buy them. I fail to see how this news interrupts anyone day. You think FFXIV, FFXI or any SE IP will vanish from the world simply because this company is dead?

Are you exited for Disney take on star wars? You think that any computeror game company can just take over and continue to put out GOOD content that will keep the player base? Do you think FFxi brings in more new players than it losses now? LoL
By Refia1 2014-04-18 15:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

ok plz show me the data that ffxi doesn't bring more revenue in then it uses? lolz you are nuts man. It doesn't matter if im excited or not, you simply do not know what they are capable of. EA just acquired the Star wars games actually, not disney. So you see, that is one example.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 15:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
Do you know how much 14 cost them 2 make?

I don't think a lot of people DO know how much an mmo costs to make.

I saw a rough figure once, & all at once realized why the choices are so seemingly limited.
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 15:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

ok plz show me the data that ffxi doesn't bring more revenue in then it uses? lolz you are nuts man. It doesn't matter if im excited or not, you simply do not know what they are capable of. EA just acquired the Star wars games actually, not disney. So you see, that is one example.

I meant the movies actually and my point was just bringing in new people doesn't guarantee continued success. And once again SE is more than 2 games as a whole they are in trouble. Does FFxi bring in money sure it does. The issue is that money from those still doesn't help them turn PROFIT.
By Refia1 2014-04-18 15:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

ok i get you man, but my point is, it dont matter who own the game. It dont matter if SE dies, the games will continue. They will be in the same manner because the parent company will not be dumb enough to completely change the games that worked, no company have ever done this from a sale. So please realize my facts here. OP has made his thread to suggest these game will die -,-