School Bans On Chocolate Milk May Backfire

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 18:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Who cares if they specify the ounces? By that thing, I should be eating something like 2200 calories a day of bread with maybe 200 calories of meat.

If oz./serving were specified on the food pyramid since the beginning childhood obesity at the K-12 would not be the problem it is now. The food pyramid's ambiguous label of "serving" is one of its biggest flaws.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
The argument was that it was less healthy than the regular milk and there was really no reason to offer it, that is all.

Its still a blanket statement. For some ppl that bit of sugar or calories could be beneficial for them. Claiming that its bad for everyone is illogical. As for no reason to offer it, that article showed a pretty good reason to offer it. When they didn't, a lot more kids stopped drinking the milk altogether

again, if people don't like the rules the schools are enforcing: there's always home school, which is better for the majority of children in the first place.

The way school are these days, i wont deny that home schooling is probably better. Depending on who is doing the teaching. But if a school is imposing irrational rules ppl shouldn't just except it or leave. They should voice the concern and change it. Its bad enough ppl take that approach with government. [/quote]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 18:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Public education is all about standards/blanket statements, that's the thing.

They make a standard, and that's how they do things.

That's how schools are run though, and it's not really illogical, it's what's best for the hive, not the individual, and yes that's how public education is run, and is pretty much how you have to handle children in large numbers.

That's how it is, and yes we should probably change it, but going off the standard that looks like it has no end in sight, seems like the norm to me.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 19:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Ya know what this reminds me of? CVS and Walgreens halting their sale of tobacco products. Yet, even though they try to force their customers to stop smoking, guess what? The chips, soda, and candy bars remain! What sort of *** is that?! They want to force their customers into "healthy" lifestyles, and ditch tobacco in the process, why not also give the boot to the chips, sodas and candy? It's a double-standard.

Whats scarey was that interview from a mom in new york trying to make it law so all soda had to be behind the counter and you had to have ID and 18yo+ to buy it just like cigarettes because she thought the sugar was to big a health hazard.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Ya know what this reminds me of? CVS and Walgreens halting their sale of tobacco products. Yet, even though they try to force their customers to stop smoking, guess what? The chips, soda, and candy bars remain! What sort of *** is that?! They want to force their customers into "healthy" lifestyles, and ditch tobacco in the process, why not also give the boot to the chips, sodas and candy? It's a double-standard.

Whats scarey was that interview from a mom in new york trying to make it law so all soda had to be behind the counter and you had to have ID and 18yo+ to buy it just like cigarettes because she thought the sugar was to big a health hazard.
I don't really consider that scary, the behind the counter part a bit yes, but not the age restriction.

We already have age restrictions on some energy shots, as far as I'm concerned soda/red bull should probably also be on that list.

Soda is horrible for you, and children shouldn't be able to buy it without parental consent. I doubt those laws would become too wide, thanks to Coke/Pepsi lobbying, but still.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That's how schools are run though, and it's not really illogical, it's what's best for the hive, not the individual, and yes that's how public education is run, and is pretty much how you have to handle children in large numbers.

That's how it is, and yes we should probably change it, but going off the standard that looks like it has no end in sight, seems like the norm to me.
That's what happens when you toss out the constitution and let money rule the land.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

wat
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

That's what happens when you toss out the constitution and let money rule the land.

It's been ruled numerous times that children don't have the same rights as adults when it comes to the education setting.

Edit: not really saying I agree with this ruling, but hey.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 19:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The premise this school is taking is complete *** and shows how stupid public health education is at the K-12 level.

I can name numerous things that have virtually no nutritional value on a K-12 cafeteria menu:

Iceberg Lettuce > Spinach
Bologna > Turkey or Chicken
White bread > Wheat bread

I could go on. The point is children should be educated on what is a proper portion, BMI, calories in their health science course.

Also I'd place iceberg lettuce as a bigger villain than chocolate milk any day of the week.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 19:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

sadly that is true, and i never agreed with blanket rules. I can under stand the desire for them and even how having some in place could be a helpful thing for them, but they take it to far jsut like in this case. Another example from my own HS (and many around the country now) If kid A walks up and punches kid B with no reason or provocation, and then walks away, kid B gets suspended. Under the blanket rule of 'you were in a fight therefor you get suspended'. I can understand generalizations, but i hate blanket rules like that.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry but the BMI is a horrible *** scale.

edit: are you saying white bread is better than wheat, or the other way around? not sure with your use of the > symbol.

edit: *** lettuce
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

sadly that is true, and i never agreed with blanket rules. I can under stand the desire for them and even how having some in place could be a helpful thing for them, but they take it to far jsut like in this case. Another example from my own HS (and many around the country now) If kid A walks up and punches kid B with no reason or provocation, and then walks away, kid B gets suspended. Under the blanket rule of 'you were in a fight therefor you get suspended'. I can understand generalizations, but i hate blanket rules like that.
I agree, fortunately for the guy I punched in 11th grade, they didn't do that. To be fair: he broke my pen, so I broke his face!

(lol, was stupid and petty, but hey).
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 19:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry but the BMI is a horrible *** scale.

I should clarify that. BMI along with fat% should be implimented in K-12 health education. Fat% is not standardized by the American Medical Association or the American Pediatric Association like BMI.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 19:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Is a chart really the cause of childhood obesity?

Biggest Loser had three teenagers as at-home contestants (sort of) two seasons ago. All of them were horking M&Ms, cookies, and chocolate ice cream down their foodholes like they were about to be abandoned in the wilderness and needed the fat reserves. Obviously the footage is heavily edited to make its point, but I doubt many people were living their lives by a chart regardless of its existence.

The boy they had steadfastly refuses to eat any vegetables that he can perceive as vegetables and I was the same way, not least because being a supertaster means that the bitter notes of vegetables are overwhelming and disgusting. Thank goodness my taste buds are finally dying as I age.

The bigger problem is all the bad science, much of it passed on by government agencies but also by physicians of every kind. I want to throttle Dr. Oz whenever I have the misfortune of watching a few minutes of his show because he, being a cardiologist by training, still clings to the idea that dietary fat causes heart disease and overweight. He's only recently been finally dragged into reality to look at all the science published in the past 25 years showing that fat isn't really that bad. Naturally, though, he's jumped on the "grain and gluten are evil" train because he has to sell something to stay on television.

I'm not a proponent of Atkins or super-low carbohydrate, but I am opposed to people building their diets as 60% carb, 30% fat, 10% protein, which is closer than I like to what people think is healthy. If they've read yet another iteration of the patently wrong "fat is bad" myth, they'll compensate by adding more carb and maybe looking at a few extra grams of protein. It's ridiculous. And then there are all the ill-informed attempts at vegetarian and vegan diets that result in malnutrition.

But, yes, let's go ahead and ban the chocolate milk. We'll ignore that we cancelled PE classes 10 years ago and have been steadily eroding the after-school sports programs. I know diet trumps exercise when it comes to changing weight, but if we focused on getting everyone able to squat 50% of their bodyweight or bench 25%, maybe we'd stop caring that the people running half-marathons are doing it with 15 extraneous lbs. jiggling around their bellies.

Rantrantrantrant. This is nothing against you, Baconwrap, just me going off on a tear.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 19:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's one of them. Without also causing a cluster *** of debate on HFCS, HFCS should have been banned at the K-12 level at the time when most physicians agreed that it altered satiety. The opinion on HFCS is slightly changing, however, the fact that there was a time when public health scientists and physicians agreed it altered satiety it should have been banned from K-12 immediately.

Trans Fats definitely should have been banned. I can go on.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been ruled numerous times that children don't have the same rights as adults when it comes to the education setting.

It's not even really about children's rights. The problem goes back to the first Morrill Land-Grant Act. After that it just went downhill in terms of actual education and gradually the focus became job market oriented.

Of course people have tried to fight it, but only in small groups. I think the current trend is something called STEM.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My only issues with eating fat is that it tears my stomach apart, honestly I think I'll probably get gout before having an issue with straight fat...

I can eat a few vegetables, but I never due, mostly because I rarely go shopping and they just don't hold up in the pantry.

Who cancelled PE classes? and after-school sports are everywhere, at least lolfootball...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 19:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i rly need to get back to preparing to move, instead of arguing about chocolate milk...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

It's one of them. Without also causing a cluster *** of debate on HFCS, HFCS should have been banned at the K-12 level at the time when most physicians agreed that it altered satiety. The opinion on HFCS is slightly changing, however, the fact that there was a time when public health scientists and physicians agreed it altered satiety it should have been banned from K-12 immediately.

I would blame the corn industry more than the charts, but both are culprits.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even really about children's rights. The problem goes back to the first Morrill Land-Grant Act. After that it just went downhill in terms of actual education and gradually the focus became job market oriented.

Of course people have tried to fight it, but only in small groups. I think the current trend is something called STEM.
There was a STEM branch around here, found it rather interesting, but the student leading it at the school I went to creeped me out a bit, still can't quite put my finger on as to why.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 19:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Corn syrup is just sugar. Which means that it should have little place in a public diet like a school system's cafeteria. Not no place, but a limited one. My high school sold cookies that were something like 6" across. That beats the hell out of a carton of chocolate milk, I know that.

As for trans fats, they largely are banned. They're not obesity-inducing, though, but rather carcinogenic.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your beef with HFCS or transfats?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 19:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cancelled PE classes? and after-school sports are everywhere, at least lolfootball...

I don't know about cancelled but in my school the mine as well have. You couldn't do any sport or activity that had contact in the slightest. Couldn't do anything that might 'promote aggression'. Bunch of other equally ridiculous restrictions. As a results we would spend entire marking periods with some *** thing like square or line dancing... To which i generally said **** you and sat down. Or if you were rly lucky you could spend the whole time walking in a circle around the gym room. (Of course we had like 15 minutes in the locker room to 'get rdy' at the start, so that was a lot of time taken out of such horrendous activities.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Try going without any food or drink that contains HFCS and you will notice the difference within 2 week. After a month, personally, I lost 16lbs.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about cancelled but in my school the mine as well have. You couldn't do any sport or activity that had contact in the slightest. Couldn't do anything that might 'promote aggression'. Bunch of other equally ridiculous restrictions. As a results we would spend entire marking periods with some *** thing like square or line dancing... To which i generally said **** you and sat down. Or if you were rly lucky you could spend the whole time walking in a circle around the gym room. (Of course we had like 15 minutes in the locker room to 'get rdy' at the start, so that was a lot of time taken out of such horrendous activities.
Regular PE class turn that way towards the end of high school for me. Luckily we still had football after school.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand as to why, but meh.

I hated gym the whole time, but honestly didn't have a weight issue at all until i was on a certain medicine at 15/16 then after that I gained 70+ lbs, lost a lot of it, but gained a bit back when working overnights a few years ago, and haven't really lost it since, I need to work on that.

Try going without any food or drink that contains HFCS and you will notice the difference within 2 week. After a month, personally, I lost 16lbs.
I like my soda too much, and water here tastes like ***.

It's just not satisfying anymore...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 19:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's one of those, I think, that people need to try out themselves to believe it, rather than reading articles all day long.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 19:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's one of those, I think, that people need to try out themselves to believe it, rather than reading articles all day long.

I imagine I'd probably feel a lot better and lose a lot of weight, and I've tried to wean myself off it, just can't cut it...
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10