Theological Ramblings.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Theological ramblings.
Theological ramblings.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11
 Odin.Strummer
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Strummer 2014-12-01 12:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chanti's post above is as good a segue as any for this, which has been a recent philosophical discussion topic among my friends and family:

Do you feel it is more valuable to be comfortable with ambiguity, or do you feel it more valuable to be comfortable with paradox?

I'm curious to see how the FFXIAH community might respond.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-01 12:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see them as being all that different, honestly. It's about being comfortable with the unknown. Most religious people I know go back to 2 common threads in defense of it:

1. moral compass/humility (which I'd argue is missing even among religious people.

2. meaning... Which is harder to quantify.

People seem to need an explanation; why we're here, what happens when we die, what does it all mean?

I'd argue that absence of religion could offer both of those to almost anyone who is willing to suspend irrational attachment and explore the world with curiosity and an open mind, but I try not to judge people who prefer to have faith. I just wish people would be more skeptical in general.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-05 22:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Strummer said: »
Do you feel it is more valuable to be comfortable with ambiguity, or do you feel it more valuable to be comfortable with paradox?...
I cannot speak for the valuable.

Ambiguity is, to me, reasonable and often encountered.

Paradox is an intellectual challenge.

Also, from a post in another thread:

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Queue, cue....

Part of my personal theology: My god can put JUST the right spin on a cosmic cue ball and watch as his grand plan unfolds.

This view also makes the creationist's god look so small and limited.

It does not imply that we are the endpoint of his creation.
How do you feel about that last line?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-05 22:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

A famous paradox, the barber paradox:

Quote:
Suppose there is a town with just one barber, who is male. In this town, every man keeps himself clean-shaven, and he does so by doing exactly one of two things:

shaving himself; or
being shaved by the barber.

Also, "The barber is a man in town who shaves all those, and only those, men in town who do not shave themselves."

From this, asking the question "Who shaves the barber?" results in a paradox because according to the statement above, he can either shave himself, or go to the barber (which happens to be himself). However, neither of these possibilities is valid: they both result in the barber shaving himself, but he cannot do this because he shaves only those men "who do not shave themselves".
This is only solved if you remove the "who is male" part. But that is against the rules.

Men keeping women down yet once again....

/mutter

/giggle
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-06 04:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you feel it is more valuable to be comfortable with ambiguity, or do you feel it more valuable to be comfortable with paradox?...

Queue, cue....

Part of my personal theology: My god can put JUST the right spin on a cosmic cue ball and watch as his grand plan unfolds.

About your last statement your right because humanity is still being born as we type. In america about 500 per hour when it was said we was created in his image i find that awesome because when i see new people everyday i'm like our creator is an amazing god. I know folks will say " well he created murders" your right, because he gave each and everyone of us free will to do what we want to do, he gave us instructions to either come back to him in the light or to be without him into darkness. It is sad we see far too many proceed to darkness doing many deeds that hurt others.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-06 07:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »

Queue, cue....

About your last statement your right because humanity is still being born as we type. In america about 500 per hour when it was said we was created in his image i find that awesome because when i see new people everyday i'm like our creator is an amazing god. I know folks will say " well he created murders" your right, because he gave each and everyone of us free will to do what we want to do, he gave us instructions to either come back to him in the light or to be without him into darkness. It is sad we see far too many proceed to darkness doing many deeds that hurt others.
So you are saying god is a sadistic psychopath. Probably not going to win a lot of converts willing to give you money/recruit other cult members with that.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-06 07:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

no i am saying in my opinion when he created us individually he gave each of us our own free choice to be with him or not.

when i said it was sad we see a lot of crazyness in this world due to human beings it leads me to believe some chose not to be with him.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-06 07:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

money means nothing god never asked for materialism.
By fonewear 2014-12-06 07:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Queue, cue....

So you are saying Al Gore is a sadistic psychopath. Probably not going to win a lot of converts willing to give you money/recruit other cult members with that.
 Cerberus.Wonton
Server: Cerberus
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2014-12-06 07:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

God to faithful: "Verily, the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, so give it to me."
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-06 08:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wonton said: »

God to faithful: "Verily, the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, so give it to me."

i dont recall him saying give it too me,lol but i do know some denominations wrongly ask for money because they said " the lord said i needed a satilite and a bmw so i can save you all" now that is wrong
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11