Theological Ramblings.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Theological ramblings.
Theological ramblings.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-28 22:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Even just saying "I meant within the Bible" would have settled it for just about anyone. The people who actually care to investigate it would probably find that he is founded in that statement, the people who don't, wouldn't find it compelling or relevant, anyway.

I would love to see you nitpick your liberal buddies on here the way you do me. If you want to have a real discussion over real things and not the wording of things you already understood, I'd love to try that sometime.

I "nitpick" erroneous statements from all sides, homie. You're just too busy trying to put a respectable spin on the bullpen of radical right mouthbreathers. When was the last time you called anyone you consider conservative out on ANYTHING?
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-28 22:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Even just saying "I meant within the Bible" would have settled it for just about anyone. The people who actually care to investigate it would probably find that he is founded in that statement, the people who don't, wouldn't find it compelling or relevant, anyway.

I would love to see you nitpick your liberal buddies on here the way you do me. If you want to have a real discussion over real things and not the wording of things you already understood, I'd love to try that sometime.

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Yes I did expect you to take me seriously, about as seriously as when you posted you had evidence!

I could have genuinely thought you had Legitimate, Physical evidence to support this!

But you didn't.

If you really thought that, I'm concerned about your mental well-being.

And now you are directly attacking me saying you are concerned about my Mental state!

You see why your incredulous statement that you had Truth may have irked someone now, because you now state anyone believing you had actual evidence must be insane, but you still used the word evidence...

Please pick a stance on this argument and stick to it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-28 22:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

When you figure out what all the connotations are behind the word "evidence" instead of your extremely narrow view of it, I'll pick this conversation up with you again.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-28 22:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I "nitpick" erroneous statements from all sides, homie. You're just too busy trying to put a respectable spin on the bullpen of radical right mouthbreathers. When was the last time you called anyone you consider conservative out on ANYTHING?

No you don't, but you at least have a point in your last statement. Almost always when a conservative says something truly stupid in P&R, they get slaughtered. I wouldn't let them get away with it otherwise. It's always more fun when people on the same side of most issues start attacking each other. Jet's good for that at times.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-28 22:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

When you figure out what all the connotations are behind the word "evidence" instead of your extremely narrow view of it, I'll pick this conversation up with you again.

I took the literal use as you used it in a manner that made it seem Literal.

Trying to make your self seem more intelligent than myself when I personally believe you are not (Notice I did not use the word proof or evidence where I had none, take notes) in a vain attempt to make it seem as though I missed your point entirely.

You should probably learn how to address your opinion as opinion and not as fact when you have none and don't seem to use the word in a manner that people can understand as you, as I stated earlier with your 1 line response, provided no insight into how you though / came up with your usage of the word Evidence.

Due to the incredibly low amount of anything to your initial post it could have been conceived that you in fact believed you had physical evidence, and that we believed you to be "wrong" or one of those "Mouthbreathers" who read something in a newspaper and believed it to be gospel.

Now to Really Nitpick..

Code
verb
verb: evidence; 3rd person present: evidences; past tense: evidenced; past participle: evidenced; gerund or present participle: evidencing

be or show evidence of.
    "the quality of the bracelet, as evidenced by the workmanship, is exceptional"
    synonyms:	indicate, show, reveal, be evidence of, display, exhibit, manifest, denote, evince, signify; More
    testify to, attest to, verify, confirm, prove, substantiate, endorse, back up, support, bear out, give credence to
    "the rise of racism is evidenced by the increase in racial attacks"
    antonyms:	disprove

Origin

The Oxford Definition of the word you used.

Wikipedia is not a valid site, Oxford however is. You should have been informed of this when handing in papers at University, again further weakening your stance and argument that your post was valid.

However you used it as a Noun, so

Quote:
noun
noun: evidence

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
"the study finds little evidence of overt discrimination"
synonyms: proof, confirmation, verification, substantiation, corroboration, affirmation, authentication, attestation, documentation; More

"Authentication" as a Synonym, which would be the first and most accurate way to describe how 99.99% of people would refer to to the word evidence.

I await your rebuttal ~ because so far your evidence has been lacking.

Edit: You will notice the antonym "Disprove" you can't use fictional sources as evidence to disprove something, especially in a book that contradicts itself everywhere.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-28 22:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

No you don't, but you at least have a point in your last statement. Almost always when a conservative says something truly stupid in P&R, they get slaughtered. I wouldn't let them get away with it otherwise. It's always more fun when people on the same side of most issues start attacking each other. Jet's good for that at times.

If you don't see me call out "liberals" it's because you're choosing not to see it. Or it's just because there is far more nonsense that needs to be called out coming from one side than the other. I see you twist yourself into knots to agree with some of the most ridiculous crap ever written and you call me out as a "liberal" because I take a libertarian approach to social policies. Face it, you're just as guilty as anyone you accuse of being a partisan hack.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-28 22:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you skip the other Oxford definition on purpose?

"1.2 Signs; indications:"

Edit: You will notice the antonym "Disprove" you can't use fictional sources as evidence to disprove something, especially in a book that contradicts itself everywhere.

Just out of curiosity, you're a devout Catholic that considers the Bible to be fictional? Interesting.

I see you twist yourself into knots to agree with some of the most ridiculous crap ever written

Like?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-28 22:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you skip the other Oxford definition on purpose?

"1.2 Signs; indications:"

Just out of curiosity, you're a devout Catholic that considers the Bible to be fictional? Interesting.

I see you twist yourself into knots to agree with some of the most ridiculous crap ever written

Like?

Actually I did not skip them on purpose, I merely copied what I saw ~

And no one in the right mind can read the bible and see "eye for an Eye" and "Turn the other cheek" and not call it a contradiction.

You can believe in the Ideology of something but not a story book made god knows when to force people in slavery and to "work hard" to feed the rich and playcate them into believing they will go to Heaven for not stealing the Masters Wife.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-28 22:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You can believe in the Ideology of something but not a story book made god knows when to force people in slavery and to "work hard" to feed the rich and playcate them into believing they will go to Heaven for not stealing the Masters Wife.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Your opinion doesn't bother me, though. To each their own.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-28 23:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea what you're talking about. Your opinion doesn't bother me, though. To each their own.

It's basically Marxism (Sociological thinker), Weber agreed with him on many things. But some people even consider the creation of the Bible / Christianity as "functional", another school of thought, where the function was to enslave people in an "Ideology" of if you do this badly against the will of some dude who made a book, you will burn for all eternity in hell.

I prefer to believe in what it stands for, and not whether it's supposed to be some historical account of whether ***actually happened.

I.E I believe in the ritual of bread and wine etc to commerate a person we "believe" to be the son of god who we "believe" did great things. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, the fact is we aspire to be like that person was, someone who stuck to their morals and did what they believed was right even in direct conflict with the main religion, so even if my view isn't supported by the most religious of Zealots with Catholicism it's irrelevant as the "teachings and not gospel truths" this is the probably the point people should take from it, is that we are Taught to do Good, and the "storys" are guides for a time that is not relevant to now.

I.E the whole respect thy neighbour thing I agree with but, the whole "And Bartholmu shall burn for all eternity because he didn't work his hands to the bones etc" or because he didn't bend over and let some slave master (because there were slaves when this was Bible / Religion was founded) to allow someone who was given "Divine Priveldge" to write a book with his view / slant on it.

It's very much like comparing it to the idea that History is Written by the Victorious, in this case it was written by those who had money / power and an education in a time where education would probably not have existed to those without money

It's the Core points that I believe in, the Bible itself is mostly Horseshit imo.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-29 07:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Real discussion over real things?

As opposed to a fake discussion over fairy tales?

This is a thread about theological ramblings, you almost certainly won't find what you are looking for.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-29 08:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Set your expectations low this thread delivers !
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-29 09:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
A theological point to think about:

In both Jewish and Christian theology the messiah MUST be descended from the male lineage of King David. Therefor the whole tree of Jesse thing.

But if Christ is divine he has NO male lineage. Virgin birth....

So either Christ can be the savior, born of a not virgin Mary fathered by Joseph, OR he is divine and cannot be the savior.

Take your pick.

There is evidence that Joseph and Mary were first cousins. Therefore, it wouldn't matter since the lineage was nearly identical.
Your point is immaterial, no mater how you define evidence. Reread the bolded part.

The thread is supposed to revolve around theology, not the definition of "evidence".
By fonewear 2014-11-29 09:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we need a global warming ramblings thread it is basically a bunch of fake scientists speculating about global warming.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-29 09:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I think we need a global warming ramblings thread it is basically a bunch of fake scientists speculating about global warming.
Give enough money to enough scientists and eventually they'll agree on anything.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-29 09:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as everyone "believes" in global warming it is real.

Global warming is a profitable religion that needs more followers.

The good people at Toyota are counting on you to save the world with your hybrid.
By fonewear 2014-11-29 10:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also petition to change thread to Atheists annoying everyone.

Yes we are tolerant as long as you agree with us.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-29 10:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Also petition to change thread to Atheists annoying everyone....
But I'm a theist. I can still be annoying though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-29 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We can all be annoying together?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-29 10:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

We could all nitpick the light saber in the new Star Wars trailer...that movie is going to be terrible.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-29 10:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

We can all be annoying together?

I'm pretty sure we've got that one covered quite well already.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-29 10:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm too busy having my run on sentences being nit picked to properly analyze if God exist and why.

God will forgive me if I happen to make a grammatical error however my English teacher will not !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-29 11:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

In both Jewish and Christian theology the messiah MUST be descended from the male lineage of King David. Therefor the whole tree of Jesse thing.

So either Christ can be the savior, born of a not virgin Mary fathered by Joseph, OR he is divine and cannot be the savior.

Take your pick.

There is evidence that Joseph and Mary were first cousins. Therefore, it wouldn't matter since the lineage was nearly identical.
Your point is immaterial, no mater how you define evidence. Reread the bolded part.

The thread is supposed to revolve around theology, not the definition of "evidence".

Yay, it's good to be back to the actual point being discussed. So what you're saying is that Jesus had to have a human father to be the Messiah? Interesting thought, but if you want to be picky, look at the ancient Israelite laws regarding adoption and inheritances.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-29 11:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Take your pick.

Yay, it's good to be back to the actual point being discussed. So what you're saying is that Jesus had to have a human father to be the Messiah? Interesting thought, but if you want to be picky, look at the ancient Israelite laws regarding adoption and inheritances.
Either that or King David was god.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-29 11:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Take your pick.

You got a Grave site that Proves this (Here we go again...)
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-30 04:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Take your pick.

You got a Grave site that Proves this (Here we go again...)
I've got 99 problems, but a grave isn't one.

It seems strange that one of the qualifications for being the messiah would hinge on legal technicalities.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 04:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
A librarian at the old brick and motor store.
/chuckle
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-30 06:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's some theological ramblings:
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Bloodrose 2014-11-30 07:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Strike down my notions, ideas, and faith/evidence, and I shall become more annoying than you could ever possibly imagine!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-30 09:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems strange that one of the qualifications for being the messiah would hinge on legal technicalities.
You forget how many Jewish lawyers there are.

Also one way to translate rabbi into English is "interpreter of God's laws" or, God's lawyer.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11