Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0
Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 68 69 70
By clearlyamule 2017-12-01 14:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think those statements are a tad overgeneralized and some of it is hyperbole and it also somewhat depends on differing standards.

Let's start with alluvion... costs and availability of stones varies greatly. At worse it's terrible but at times when it's in ambuscade or back when it was in log in or now with a bunch popping up from koupons. Also campaigns make farming them beyond easy and price often drops unless there are other good campaigns going on.

Now on actually getting augments...I'll start off with I'm not talking about some lucky stuff here. I've made a 4/5 taeon tanking/dd set, 2-3 dd/tanking hands and mab/macc set for all those pieces and head for the mage for 3 different characters. Getting perfect acc on a snow has on average taken me about 2 stacks of +2 so 4 million for just that augment. It's kind of crazy and I generally stop at 23+. But just getting something 18+ is more like 6 for me. DA is pretty much the same and not too surprising given the augment pool however 4+ is where the super easy cutoff is. DT again usually takes about a couple of stacks but I tend to see more pet stats and the pet pool is pretty small here. I figure to 23+ accuracy, perfect dt, perfect da based on prices on my server now would average around 10-12 million per taeon piece which is a lot but I'll also never have any reason to throw anything at it again since all non snow slots are perfect and those are all within 2 and my main is all 25. But willing to go for 20+ acc, 4+ da, 3+ dt it's more like 1/4 that. h2h is largely similar but different pools somewhat. Most the money I've sunk into it has been trying to go for the elusive +17 stats. I'll also note that for anyone playing bst these serve double duty.

Reisinjima costs... is not getting the initial piece. I hope you are merely engaging in hyperbole here because lmao if otherwise. Yes individual stones are much cheaper and it's more relevant content being actively farmed at times. However you end up trading a lot more stones. For just an example making my pet vit sets. I still haven't gotten any 11+ agis. Dex has been far kinder though. On average it took around 150-200 taupe stones to get 15 vit. Now yeah that only comes 190-250k.

Now yes 190k-250k is a lot less but it's only 1 stat. But wait it's also a lot less even if you just compare 1 stat. Also true (though taupe/pell are only about 1/3-1/4 the price of fern which brings the price closer) but still if we were only caring about one stat at a time reisin would win overwhelming. Because of it's method the cost for alluvion is going to be additive for each slot regardless. For Reisinjima if you can divide it between multiple sets it's additive (at least ignoring the need to get more pieces and storage). But when you try for multiple stats on the same pieces the costs are going to be closer to multiplicative.

Which brings me to the differing standards point. The odds of getting just 2 perfect stats are practically non-existent. Example I've thrown literally thousands of stones into each piece of herculean just for my trueflight set. Based on prices I'd estimate I've used 4 mil per slot (not to mention hours even with addons trading and popping pouches) and the best I've gotten on any with fern is 5 wsd and 20 mab and the closest to the maxes with pellucid were a 32mab 1 wsd and a 27 mab 3 wsd. None have agi too. Only a couple have any macc and none more than 15. For reisin gear this is pretty good but I'm still far from done with them and probably never will get a piece that has just 2 perfect stats. Even my DM ones that were keepable didn't beat perfect mab/wsd. For alluvion being this far away from caps would be basically the lower values I offered for basically when you just want to throw stones till you get a decent number but the goal is for the smaller ranges to get flat out max and for the higher ranges within 1-2. Completely different standards mostly because it's actually possible. There's also the fact you literally can't get any dt on reisin pieces so it also takes the place of your rao... but you also can't make stat or stp taeon which well you can't get anywhere else at all

tl;dr it's not a simple this or that. Cost gunna vary largely based on exactly what stat(s) you are going for, how close you caps you are willing to settle for, and of course the normal changes in this economy that SE is always messing with. Just wait for campaigns/ambuscade months for it
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2017-12-01 15:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Even if Reisenjima are not always great, MAGA makes it much more bearable.

yes ... but i didn't get any great augment with VIT on it ...
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-01 19:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Alluvion the augments are very expensive. Just because you got lucky with some augments, doesn't mean they are not that bad. They ARE that bad.

I've sunk several millions of gil into augments and had absolutely nothing to show for it with Alluvion. The time sink and cost are simply not worth it the vast majority of the time.

Even if Reisenjima are not always great, MAGA makes it much more bearable.

They're for different purposes. You generally use Taeon for DT- gear, and DT-4% from Duskorbs is NOT hard to get (or, DT-3% is perfectly usable too). Past the DT- slot, you can either make them (1) more defensive oriented (like mine with Meva/Regen), which I think are the best tanking pieces around (including over Rao+1), or (2) a hybrid DT/dps piece for stuff like what clearlyamule was talking about where he wants his puppet to tank AND do damage, in which case you'd go DA/Acc&Atk.

Herculean pet gear is for different uses. It's generally either (1) Store TP oriented pet-only DD gear, (2) nuking pieces, or (3) pet WS pieces that you can't get anyway on Taeon.

Honestly, now that we have more options with Tali'ah, Heyoka, or AF/Relic nuke feet, there's less need for random augmented pet DD gear.

For a TP set, you can use Tali'ah head and Pitre+1 body (and eventually, +2/+3 body should be a dominant option), so at most you'd look at augmented hands/legs/feet (and if you aren't capping pet haste, you'd prob want to use something like a Heyoka Subligar too). And really, those could be either Taeon or Herc gear.

For a nuking set (which is pretty niche as-is), maybe Herc legs/body for MAB is about all you'd want, but even then you have very good alternatives in extremely high Macc Tali'ah. Head/hands we have Rawhide/Naga, and feet we have AF or Relic +2/+3.

I don't use a pet WS set, but if you do, good luck with Oseem's random garbage. Like clearly said: you might get a good attribute stat, but crap for the rest of the slots. Or vice versa.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-01 19:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Farming reisenjima stones is far cheaper than farming alluvion stones.

It wasn't hyperbole. It wasn't empasized nearly as much as you seem to think. It's just that the actual armor pieces are more expensive than upgrades for reisenjima.gear. only the body pieces are a bit challenging to get. Sure the armor drops aren't hard to get, but they are harder than the stones.

Whereas alluvion, the armor overflows without trying for it, while the stones are ridiculously expensive by comparison.

Not sure why you seem to disagree with that. Clearly

Going thru several hundred reisenjima stones is nothing.

Going thru several stacks of alluvion stones is millions of Gil down the toilet as your examples prove. I've gone thru alot more than 2 staks at a time with nothing to show for it. Can't get pet dt at all
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-01 22:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not disagreeing on stone cost, I'm saying that Taeon gear and pet augmented Herculean gear are generally used for different purposes altogether.

1) Pet DT- isn't an augment on Herc gear, so the decision for tanking pieces is between (a) the predictable way with Rao/+1 or (b) the potentially more expensive way with Taeon (which can make better gear with ideal augments). Since I feel that "perfect" Taeon is better than even HQ abjurations for the purpose of pet tanking, I'm very comfortable saying that almost anyone could make the Taeon pieces for FAR less than HQ abj armor costs. NQ abjurations exist too though, and do the job fine for those who don't want to spend a ton of gil or try the random nature of augments.

2) For pure pet DD/WS gear, Herc is generally better than Taeon. Your comparison there is usually Herc versus other non-augmented DD gear like Tali'ah, Heyoka, JSE armor, etc. So again, it's not a question of "which augment system should I gamble on?" - if you want augmented DD/WS gear, you're gonna choose Reisenjima armor and not Alluvion. I don't really find much need, personally - since non-augmented gear does the trick pretty well for my purposes.

3) Clearlyamule talked about the exception of hybrid pet DT/offensive gear with both DT- and DA augments (when you want the puppet to tank and also add some solid DD). If you're in the market for that, again, Taeon is the only augmenting option that even has the possibility of giving you those results (if you think you need it, and you aren't comfortable just using Tali'ah/AF/Rao or mixing and matching some pure defensive pieces with some pure offense. Again, Rao armor is a compromise here in giving some pet offense with the moderate acc along with some DT.

I guess augments are always down to luck to some degree, but in my experience and that of many others, it's not that insane to get a decent augment on Alluvion gear when the augment pool only has like 5-6 possible stats and a fairly low range for each non-Snow stat (that's further influenced by the quality of stone NQ/+1/+2). Personally, I've never had a very hard time getting capped augs on non-Snow slots for Alluvion armor for multiple jobs/functions. Pet tanking Taeon, pet DD Taeon, light DD/TA Taeon (back when that was a thing), mage gear, utlity pieces like Cure potency or Enhancing duration Telchine or Fast Cast/Snapshot gear, etc.

And once you get what you're after, you're good to keep a single augment stat forever while you work on other stats - unlike Reisen gear that resets all augments every try (and has some stats that don't show up on certain paths - like the COR magical WS case of WSD/MAB showing up together, but AGI not even being an augment on that path). I might have tossed a few stacks of +1 stones in search of a particular Alluvion armor augment, but for some Reisenjima pieces I have used literally hundreds of stones and still am not totally satisfied with my results.

And yeah, I'm excluding Dark Matter Reisenjima augments. But that's obviously the most unpredictable system of all, and very limited by a small number of free tries during campaigns or the completely unreasonable cost of actual DM trade chances.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-02 12:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Farming reisenjima stones is far cheaper than farming alluvion stones.

It wasn't hyperbole. It wasn't empasized nearly as much as you seem to think. It's just that the actual armor pieces are more expensive than upgrades for reisenjima.gear. only the body pieces are a bit challenging to get. Sure the armor drops aren't hard to get, but they are harder than the stones.

Whereas alluvion, the armor overflows without trying for it, while the stones are ridiculously expensive by comparison.

Not sure why you seem to disagree with that. Clearly

Going thru several hundred reisenjima stones is nothing.

Going thru several stacks of alluvion stones is millions of Gil down the toilet as your examples prove. I've gone thru alot more than 2 staks at a time with nothing to show for it. Can't get pet dt at all
I had a bunch written out here but I figured I'd keep it simple since weren't getting some of what I said.

1. Your implications on both systems gain rates are weird. Like to get a reisin piece is super easy and you'll end up with like 3-6 stacks of stones depending on luck and campaign and such getting it. Alluvion it's closer to 1 to 1. Both of them you'll end up with extra armor.

2. Reisinjima stones have a real cost. Stop trying to say it's millions vs nothing. It's not and that is hyperbole if not flat out lie.

3. Yes I spent millions. If you read the next line I also got perfect augments. And if you continued reading you'll see I also spent millions on reisin sets that are still FAR FROM PERFECT. Yes you can have bad luck on alluvion but remember you just admonished someone for using examples of good luck so don't use examples of bad. I used averages over the course of perfecting multiple pieces for multiple needs X3 for 3 characters. If I wanted to go with what if I got several perfect augments first stone. Got some with nqs I got from the box during campaign...

4. The simplest one here. Quantity balances cost. Or to use another example buying shirts at walmart isn't necessarily cheaper than the gap when you buy 500 times as many. So do a full break down for what you want on a piece using actual costs not haha this is basically free ideas. And well stick to the sets that actually have the stats you are going for. Namely the set I was using that is helping here can't be done anyway else
By Aerix 2017-12-02 13:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
1) Pet DT- isn't an augment on Herc gear, so the decision for tanking pieces is between (a) the predictable way with Rao/+1 or (b) the potentially more expensive way with Taeon (which can make better gear with ideal augments). Since I feel that "perfect" Taeon is better than even HQ abjurations for the purpose of pet tanking, I'm very comfortable saying that almost anyone could make the Taeon pieces for FAR less than HQ abj armor costs. NQ abjurations exist too though, and do the job fine for those who don't want to spend a ton of gil or try the random nature of augments.

I disagree with the assessment that perfect defensively augmented Taeon beats Rao+1 for pet tanking. MEVA and Regen are certainly nice, but since there's no way beyond Taeon to stack MEVA for matons, any kind of resists will be too rare to really matter. Regen+12 is also nice, but if the Automaton is taking enough damage where it actually matters, it certainly won't be saved by that.

By comparison, 4/5 Rao+1 adds a whopping +500 HP, which reduces CE loss by a noticeable amount and is therefore significantly more relevant as Automatons have issues with building and maintaining CE moreso than VE, assuming Strobe and Flashbulb work identically to their magical counterparts. Not to mention the HP helps with certain tankbuster moves/spells.
I haven't tested it yet (nor seen any mention of it) but should ARK IV scale with max HP from gear, the 500 HP would also translate to +15-21 Regen depending on Light maneuvers.

The Accuracy is either a boon or a curse, depending on your SCH party members. I usually have my Automaton close Skillchains or extend them into Light, but as it can be unreliable and slow, not every SCH will like it. Nonetheless, damage from the Automaton will contribute to total Enmity, as well.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-02 14:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
By comparison, 4/5 Rao+1 adds a whopping +500 HP, which reduces CE loss by a noticeable amount and is therefore significantly more relevant as Automatons have issues with building and maintaining CE moreso than VE, assuming Strobe and Flashbulb work identically to their magical counterparts. Not to mention the HP helps with certain tankbuster moves/spells.

Not that Rao+1 is bad, it's absolutely a valid choice for tanking and either Taeon or Rao+1 gear should perform just fine. Either one has their advantages, so an absolutely perfect arsenal can have both. But in my opinion, Taeon is still better for most situations I actually encounter. Point by point:

1) I found Rao's enmity retention from HP to be a much more significant point back before Heyoka existed, and the key reason in support of Rao. Now that we do have Heyoka, if you're actively managing the automaton and swapping into it before flash/voke (which you'd ideally want to do for either Taeon or Rao), hate is really not a major issue the vast majority of targets.

That being said, yeah, if enmity is a major issue AND you're fighting something so dangerous that getting caught with an attack when not in full DT- set might kill the puppet (I've don't really encounter anything with that combo), just staying in Rao+1 gear and not swapping to your enmity+ set might help survival and help a bit more than Taeon with emnity retention (even though it's far less enmity retained than Heyoka). So it's one case where Rao could be ideal. For me, it comes up rarely enough than having NQ Rao pieces (and/or maybe a smattering of cheaper +1s) available would do the job just fine if I ever needed them - though I don't think I've actually used my Rao gear in months.

2) When I'm using my automaton to tank, I usually actively dislike it gaining any more TP than necessary - and especially any time we're doing anything with SCH SCs that are dependent on not wasting strategem charges. So, I don't particularly care for the Acc on Rao and think it's more of a negative than a positive. Most of the time on truly high end mobs, you still won't have that great of Acc and can keep up with just Tactical Switch to remove pet TP - but it does become an issue at times, so I'd rather not have the acc.

3) As for total HP contributing to survival: when my automaton is normally tanking with over 3500hp (with no Rao) with the massive DT- it gets, I've never really felt threatened by tankbuster moves. Almost always, the only real threat to an automaton would be nasty status effects, doom/death, or one-shot mechanics (e.g. Unfaltering Bravado) that wouldn't be solved by adding extra HP. I really never encounter situations where the extra HP is the difference between survival and not.

As for Taeon benefits:

1) Same DT- as Rao+1, so it's a wash there.

2) The regen is a minor perk, but might as well stick it on the leaf slot since it's better than nothing.

3) Meva is more relevant than you might think once you actually stack it. With Animator P, 20~25 Meva per Taeon piece, and another 20~25 on Ohrmazd, that does add up to at least some advantage. To put it another way, an Idris GEO using Attunement is Meva+125 for players. 4/5 perfect Taeon and Ohrmazd is the exact same amount of Meva that you can have fulltime. If you're ever doing anything where a GEO might Vex/Attune on a player tank, you can just have them Vex and the puppet basically gets the same thing.

I'm well aware that not having other Meva like players do on ilevel gear is a difference between players and automatons, but I'm fairly sure the pet gets some baseline ilevel Meva based on the Animator, and while I'm not aware of the actual number I am inclined to believe it's in line with what a player using average 2017 i119 gear would have.

Seeing as how status effects are generally more of a threat to puppets than actually taking raw damage, anything that helps guard against them is ideal for me over totally unnecessary Acc and nice (but inessential) HP.

4) Unless you're massively unlucky, augmenting 4/5 perfect/near-perfect Taeon (with DT- the only stat you truly need to be at max DT-4%) is highly likely to be significantly cheaper than 4/5 HQ abjuration cursed pieces.
By fonewear 2017-12-02 14:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that Rao+1 is bad, it's absolutely a valid choice for tanking and either Taeon or Rao+1 gear should perform just fine. Either one has their advantages, so an absolutely perfect arsenal can have both. But in my opinion, Taeon is still better. Point by point:

1) I found the enmity retention from HP to be a much more significant point back before Heyoka existed. Now that we do have Heyoka, if you're actively managing the automaton and swapping into it before flash/voke, hate is really not a major issue. Yeah, more HP is still better (so Rao+1 for tanking and Heyoka for Strobe/Flash is ideal for enmity), but keeping hate is just no longer an issue for me tanking any current endgame stuff.

2) When I'm using my automaton to tank, I usually actively dislike it gaining any more TP than necessary - and especially any time we're doing anything with SCH SCs that are dependent on not wasting strategem charges. So, I don't particularly care for the Acc on Rao and think it's more of a negative than a positive. Most of the time on truly high end mobs, you still won't have that great of Acc and can keep up with just Tactical Switch to remove pet TP - but it does become an issue at times, so I'd rather not have the acc.

3) As for total HP contributing to survival: when my automaton is normally tanking with over 3500hp (with no Rao) with the massive DT- it gets, I've never really felt threatened by tankbuster moves. Almost always, the only real threat to an automaton would be nasty status effects, doom/death, or one-shot mechanics (e.g. Unfaltering Bravado) that wouldn't be solved by adding extra HP. I really never encounter situations where the extra HP is the difference between survival and not.

As for Taeon benefits:

1) Same DT- as Rao+1, so it's a wash there.

2) The regen is a minor perk, but might as well stick it on the leaf slot since it's better than nothing.

3) Meva is more relevant than you might think once you actually stack it. With Animator P, 20~25 Meva per Taeon piece, and another 20~25 on Ohrmazd, that does add up to at least some advantage. To put it another way, an Idris GEO using Attunement is Meva+125 for players. 4/5 perfect Taeon and Ohrmazd is the exact same amount of Meva that you can have fulltime. If you're ever doing anything where a GEO might Vex/Attune on a player tank, you can just have them Vex and the puppet basically gets the same thing.

I'm well aware that not having other Meva like players do on ilevel gear is a difference between players and automatons, but I'm the pet gets some baseline ilevel Meva based on the Animator, so I'm inclined to believe it's in line with what a player using average 2017 i119 gear would have.

Seeing as how status effects are generally more of a threat to puppets than actually taking raw damage, anything that helps guard against them is ideal for me over totally unnecessary Acc and nice (but inessential) HP.

4) Unless you're massively unlucky, augmenting 4/5 perfect/near-perfect Taeon (with DT- the only stat you truly need to be at max DT-4%) is highly likely to be significantly cheaper than 4/5 HQ abjuration cursed pieces.

You forgot to carry the one.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-02 14:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL, damn I was quoted before I could ninja edit and delete the below line - which I realize was pretty insignificant since you woudn't be voke/flashing in the extra HP gear anyway (as Heyoka's enmity+ in any slot would be better than Rao+1's HP)

Yeah, more HP is still better (so Rao+1 for tanking and Heyoka for Strobe/Flash is ideal for enmity), but keeping hate is just no longer an issue for me tanking any current endgame stuff.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-12-02 14:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone tested the previous code on their puppet if is actually swapping?
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-02 14:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The extra HP is also nice for when a target Curses the auto. I prefer my Rao +1 over my Taeon. I agree, both should work for most content, but for content that is all about the automaton, I prefer Rao +1.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-02 17:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question: why didn't you guys have this conversation about 5 pages ago before I drop dropped millions on rao+1 and taeon? I could have picked one and been done. I'm in the middle of augmenting taeon and it's running my pockets dry, though I have some Rao+1.

Ultimately what I'm reading is this comes down to preference. You don't NEED both, and for a frugal pup, the best option is whichever one is the cheapest in the long run.

Really wish I had read this pages ago.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-12-02 17:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Information was known long time ago, you should have looked at it, made a choice and gone with it. Buyers remorse all over again for another pup.
By Aerix 2017-12-02 17:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from Curse, Amnesia, Terror, Doom, Petrify, Sleep, Weakness or insane DoTs, status effects mean pretty much nothing to Tank Automatons, as Provoke and Flash will trigger anyway and there's no danger. And among those listed, most are rarely if ever get resisted and usually even go through the heavy resistance bonus that Overdrive provides.
Additionally, I recall an old thread (perhaps on the OF?) that speculated Automatons were stuck with extremely low Magic Accuracy at 119 as the Animator P didn't actually provide any with the ilevel boost. Knowing SE, this might also apply to their MEVA.

That being said, I have serious doubts that an Automaton would avoid status effects often enough to make a difference (but I'll gladly be proven wrong if there's any testing). And if the effects are infrequent enough, you can just use a Maintenance or Repair (with AF boots) to remove them. And if you really, really need the resistances, the Resister attachments with a Water Maneuver make a noticeable difference, e.g. I used them in the Morbol ambu a few months ago to negate the hate reset that was tied to the status effects landing. It wasn't ideal, though.

And you're right that the Automaton practically never needs the extra HP to survive anything, but some magic heavy fights with Chainspell or the like can occasionally get dicey.

In any case, as has been said multiple times, it certainly does come down to preference. But Rao+1 also makes for a very nice idle set due to the Regen+ for the Master, so it's definitely my favorite. As far as Taeon is concerned, though, having an Accuracy/DA/DT set is a must-have for maton soloing anyway.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-02 18:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That last sentence could not be more true Aerix. As a relatively new pup, I found out the hard way that I couldn't solo normal ambuscade with overdrive without a properly augmented DA TAEON set. This is because, though I was in zero chance if dying, I just could not deal with damage within the time limit. I guess it's buyers remorse, but I'd make the argument that a da/dt/acc set is far more valuable to the frugal pup than making a pure tanking piece with Regen and meva. But I'm a nobody so my opinion is based on resources and not on bis

Have to account for the occasional poor player who is trying to maximize his options with less cash, which is pretty difficult.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-12-02 18:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you aren't swapping gear for pet WS, Voke or Flash, the +HP isn't really doing much of anything against anything that matters, sans hate retention (~15% hp on VE), but the extra DA for more damage with strobes boost kinda offsets that. Some is good for repair macro though.
Unless the regen from ARK4 is enough to overpower the incoming damage, the +HP isn't being put to much use.
If the regen from ARK4 does overpower the incoming damage, you don't really need the extra HP anyway. The things that can 1 shot an auto in DT gear won't be survived even with an extra 500 HP.

If you are using harlequin/SS frame or the auto gets cursed, then the +HP becomes more viable since the base HP is that much lower.

Should have both really, but I would prioritize Taeon since it's the best way to tank and do damage at the same time, and you don't need Rao +1 to tank and not do damage.

2c

Edit: To put it another way, they go in different sets. Taeon goes in DDDT set, Rao goes in Turtle set. Taeon can replace Rao in Turtle set fine if you don't have Rao and visa versa, but Rao in DDDT set is much worse than Taeon in Turtle set if you don't have both.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-02 18:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Quick question: why didn't you guys have this conversation about 5 pages ago before I drop dropped millions on rao+1 and taeon?

I'm sorry you are having buyer's remorse. On one hand, if you have questions, ask before blowing your wallet. On the other hand, having more gear options will provide you with flexibility in the future, anyway. This investment may well pay off, my friend, so don't throw up your hands in despair.

To put your spend in perspective, I spent over 80mil on stones and never got completely perfect augments on my Taeon.
I bought my Rao +1 when the body alone was 70mil--mostly because I was the only person on Fenrir even remotely interested in it. I was the market, so I had to put my gil where my mouth was to even see anyone take the time to make one.
I regret none of these purchases. Sometimes, I use my Rao for something other than PUP tanking, so I change the augments with Nolan. When that happens, I bring my corresponding Taeon piece with me. Why? Because I know I'll forget to change it around.

In a month or less of new Ambu, you'll likely make back all the gil you spent. Lamia is PUP friendly, and I've heard that is what we should expect in next month's Vol.1. Annoying, but farmable nonetheless.

Before you spend more on your Teaon, though, also consider, with Overdrive, Coilers and one Thunder maneuver, you will be at 98% DA without any gear taken into consideration.
This wasn't always as true, but now, thanks to some recent accessories added to the game, you can 4/5 Rao +1 and fill in the necessary DD stats with accessories (Shulmanu collar has DA+5, Enmerkar earring exchanges Enmity for the DT you dropped from not wearing Shepherd's chain and also adds STP 8), a Pet: Haste cape and Ohtas. So your core armor set can remain unchanged, just adjust your accessories and attachments. Doing this for Overdrive, your automaton will likely build up to 2.5-3k TP before it weapon skills, so a need for Pet:STP Herc is only realized if you go down the path of DDing without Overdrive.

Enjoy and good luck!
[+]
By Aerix 2017-12-02 19:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
Unless you aren't swapping gear for pet WS, Voke or Flash, the +HP isn't really doing much of anything against anything that matters, sans hate retention (~15% hp on VE), but the extra DA for more damage with strobes boost kinda offsets that. Some is good for repair macro though.
Unless the regen from ARK4 is enough to overpower the incoming damage, the +HP isn't being put to much use.
If the regen from ARK4 does overpower the incoming damage, you don't really need the extra HP anyway. The things that can 1 shot an auto in DT gear won't be survived even with an extra 500 HP.

If you are using harlequin/SS frame or the auto gets cursed, then the +HP becomes more viable since the base HP is that much lower.

Should have both really, but I would prioritize Taeon since it's the best way to tank and do damage at the same time, and you don't need Rao +1 to tank and not do damage.

2c

Edit: To put it another way, they go in different sets. Taeon goes in DDDT set, Rao goes in Turtle set. Taeon can replace Rao in Turtle set fine if you don't have Rao and visa versa, but Rao in DDDT set is much worse than Taeon in Turtle set if you don't have both.

Yeah, I use my DA Taeon for anything that doesn't matter. For anything that does matter, however, your tank maton won't be putting out any decent numbers to build hate to begin with, sadly, meaning you'll want to retain as much Enmity as possible from Heyoka+Flash (pretty sure maton voke doesn't give CE).

Ultimately though, I haven't really found any content where anything beyond -% DT on gear, 1200 JP and +Enmity gear actually made a significant difference. Anything else is mostly all minmaxing for its own sake.

Though one instance where the +HP definitely makes a difference comes to mind: magical HP drain effects from SR Ingrid, Ambu Morbol and similar monsters. They bypass all defenses and deal flat damage that isn't based on a percentage of max HP like the move of Ambu Qiqirns was, as far as I know. Those kind of moves are definitely lethal for an Automaton if they are used back-to-back, but aren't 1-shots.

In any case, as I mentioned before, if you ever use your PUP to solo anything at all, you'll have a Acc/DA/DT Taeon set anyway. It is plenty for tanking, so might as well use that if you aren't planning to invest countless millions into PUP beyond what is necessary.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-02 20:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Dont't know if you are talking about the code I posted, but here was the file I was given from some one using MOTEs. I know if you use any aftercast gear that is directly related to MOTEs it can cause undesired effects. I would honestly not use any of the motes naming schemes for gear and add directly in to the command equipped version I integrated to prevent any issues. This person was still having some, and since I do not use motes, I am not exactly sure where they are all added. If you want to make it do anything more specific after equipping gear from pet abilities, you will need to add logic in further, as I did not apply it to this script.

Code
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Setup functions for this job.  Generally should not be modified.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--INCLUDE THIS AT THE TOP OF THE FILE
p = require('packets')

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Initialization function for this job file.
function get_sets()
    mote_include_version = 2

-- Load and initialize the include file.
    include('Mote-Include.lua')
end

--[[
-- Setup vars that are user-independent.  state.Buff vars initialized here will automatically be tracked.
function job_setup()
    -- List of pet weaponskills to check for
    petWeaponskills = S{"Slapstick", "Knockout", "Magic Mortar",
        "Chimera Ripper", "String Clipper",  "Cannibal Blade", "Bone Crusher", "String Shredder",
        "Arcuballista", "Daze", "Armor Piercer", "Armor Shatterer"}

-- Map automaton heads to combat roles
    petModes = {
        ['Harlequin Head'] = 'Melee',
        ['Sharpshot Head'] = 'Ranged',
        ['Valoredge Head'] = 'Tank',
        ['Stormwaker Head'] = 'Magic',
        ['Soulsoother Head'] = 'Heal',
        ['Spiritreaver Head'] = 'Nuke'
        }

-- Subset of modes that use magic
    magicPetModes = S{'Nuke','Heal','Magic'}

-- Var to track the current pet mode.
    state.PetMode = M{['description']='Pet Mode', 'None', 'Melee', 'Ranged', 'Tank', 'Magic', 'Heal', 'Nuke'}
end
]]
-- User setup functions for this job.  Recommend that these be overridden in a sidecar file.

-- Setup vars that are user-dependent.  Can override this function in a sidecar file.
function user_setup()
    state.OffenseMode:options('Normal', 'Acc', 'PetSoloTank', 'PetSoloDD')
    state.HybridMode:options('Normal', 'DT')
    state.WeaponskillMode:options('Normal', 'Acc', 'Fodder')
    state.PhysicalDefenseMode:options('PDT', 'Evasion')
	state.IdleMode:options('IdlePetSoloTank', 'IdlePetSoloDD')

--[[	
    -- Default maneuvers 1, 2, 3 and 4 for each pet mode.

defaultManeuvers = {
        ['Melee'] = {'Fire Maneuver', 'Thunder Maneuver', 'Wind Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver'},
        ['Ranged'] = {'Wind Maneuver', 'Fire Maneuver', 'Thunder Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver'},
        ['Tank'] = {'Earth Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Wind Maneuver'},
        ['Magic'] = {'Ice Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'},
        ['Heal'] = {'Light Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Water Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'},
        ['Nuke'] = {'Ice Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'}
    }
]]
    --update_pet_mode()
    select_default_macro_book()
end

-- Define sets used by this job file.
function init_gear_sets()

-- Precast Sets

-- Fast cast sets for spells
    sets.precast.FC = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: Attack+9 Pet: Rng.Atk.+9',}},
		body={ name="Taeon Tabard", augments={'Pet: Mag. Evasion+21','Pet: "Regen"+3','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		hands="Thaumas Gloves",
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+4','Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: Attack+15 Pet: Rng.Atk.+15',}},
		neck="Orunmila's Torque",
		waist="Siegel Sash",
		left_ear="Loquac. Earring",
		left_ring="Prolix Ring",
		back="Swith Cape",
}

-- sets.precast.FC.Utsusemi = set_combine(sets.precast.FC, {neck="Magoraga Beads"})

-- Precast sets to enhance JAs
    sets.precast.JA['Tactical Switch'] = {feet="Cirque Scarpe +2"}

sets.precast.JA['Repair'] = {feet="Foire Babouches +2",legs="Desultor tassets",ear1="Guignol Earring"}

sets.precast.JA.Maneuver = {
		neck="Buffoon's Collar +1",
		body="Cirque Farsetto +2",
		hands="Foire Dastanas +3",
		left_ear="Burana Earring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'Pet: Acc.+20 Pet: R.Acc.+20 Pet: Atk.+20 Pet: R.Atk.+20','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Pet: Accuracy+10 Pet: Rng. Acc.+10','Pet: "Regen"+10',}},
	}

sets.precast.JA['Overdrive'] = {body="Pitre Tobe +1"}

-- Waltz set (chr and vit)
    sets.precast.Waltz = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		legs="Foire Churidars +2",
		feet="Foire Bab. +2",
		neck="Phalaina Locket",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ear="Handler's Earring +1",
		right_ear="Handler's Earring",
		left_ring="Ephedra Ring",
		right_ring="Sirona's Ring",
		back="Solemnity Cape",
}

-- Weaponskill sets
    -- Default set for any weaponskill that isn't any more specifically defined
    sets.precast.WS = {
		head={ name="Lilitu Headpiece", augments={'STR+8','DEX+8','Attack+14','Weapon skill damage +1%',}},
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		hands={ name="Ryuo Tekko", augments={'STR+10','DEX+10','Accuracy+15',}},
		legs={ name="Ta'lab Trousers", augments={'Accuracy+14','Mag. Evasion+13','Enmity-6','Crit.hit rate+3',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'"Triple Atk."+3','AGI+2','Attack+8',}},
		neck="Caro Necklace",
		waist="Grunfeld Rope",
		left_ear={ name="Moonshade Earring", augments={'"Mag.Atk.Bns."+4','TP Bonus +25',}},
		right_ear="Brutal Earring",
		left_ring="Apate Ring",
		right_ring="Rajas Ring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','STR+3','Crit.hit rate+10',}},
}

sets.precast.WS['Stringing Pummel'] = {
		head={ name="Lilitu Headpiece", augments={'STR+8','DEX+8','Attack+14','Weapon skill damage +1%',}},
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		legs={ name="Ta'lab Trousers", augments={'Accuracy+14','Mag. Evasion+13','Enmity-6','Crit.hit rate+3',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'"Triple Atk."+3','AGI+2','Attack+8',}},
		neck="Caro Necklace",
		waist="Grunfeld Rope",
		left_ear={ name="Moonshade Earring", augments={'"Mag.Atk.Bns."+4','TP Bonus +25',}},
		left_ring="Apate Ring",
		right_ring="Begrudging Ring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','STR+3','Crit.hit rate+10',}},
}

-- Midcast Sets

-- Haste% and -DT
    sets.midcast.FastRecast = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+15','Pet: "Store TP"+11','Pet: INT+6',}},
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+4','Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: Attack+15 Pet: Rng.Atk.+15',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: Attack+3 Pet: Rng.Atk.+3','Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: AGI+10',}},
		neck="Twilight Torque",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ear="Eabani Earring",
		right_ear="Rimeice Earring",
		left_ring="Thurandaut Ring",
		right_ring="Vertigo Ring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'Pet: Acc.+20 Pet: R.Acc.+20 Pet: Atk.+20 Pet: R.Atk.+20','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Pet: Accuracy+10 Pet: Rng. Acc.+10','Pet: "Regen"+10',}},
}

-- Resting sets
    sets.resting = {head="Pitre Taj +1",waist="Fucho-no-obi",
        ring1="Sheltered Ring",ring2="Paguroidea Ring",neck="Sanctity Necklace"}

-- Idle sets

sets.idle = {sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank}

sets.idle.Town = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		body="Tali'ah Manteel +2",
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Mag. Acc.+19 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+19','Rng.Acc.+29','Quadruple Attack +3','Accuracy+15 Attack+15',}},
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		neck="Clotharius Torque",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ear="Telos Earring",
		left_ring="Petrov Ring",
		right_ring="Epona's Ring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'Pet: Acc.+20 Pet: R.Acc.+20 Pet: Atk.+20 Pet: R.Atk.+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','Pet: Accuracy+10 Pet: Rng. Acc.+10','Pet: Haste+10',}},
}

sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank = {
		head={ name="Anwig Salade", augments={'Attack+3','Pet: Damage taken -10%','Attack+3','Pet: "Regen"+1',}},
		body={ name="Taeon Tabard", augments={'Pet: Mag. Evasion+21','Pet: "Regen"+3','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		hands={ name="Rao Kote", augments={'Pet: HP+100','Pet: Accuracy+15','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		legs="Tali'ah Sera. +2",
		feet={ name="Rao Sune-Ate", augments={'Pet: HP+100','Pet: Accuracy+15','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		neck="Shepherd's Chain",
		waist="Isa Belt",
		left_ear="Domes. Earring",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
}

sets.idle.IdlePetSoloDD = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: Attack+9 Pet: Rng.Atk.+9',}},
		body={ name="Pitre Tobe +1", augments={'Enhances "Overdrive" effect',}},
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+15','Pet: "Store TP"+11','Pet: INT+6',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: Attack+3 Pet: Rng.Atk.+3','Pet: "Store TP"+10','Pet: AGI+10',}},
		neck="Empath Necklace",
		waist="Klouskap Sash",
		right_ear="Burana Earring",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
		back={ name="Visucius's Mantle", augments={'Pet: Acc.+20 Pet: R.Acc.+20 Pet: Atk.+20 Pet: R.Atk.+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','Pet: Accuracy+10 Pet: Rng. Acc.+10','Pet: Haste+10',}},
	}

--[[	sets.Bonecrusher = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: Attack+29 Pet: Rng.Atk.+29','Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: Mag. Acc.+1','Pet: "Dbl. Atk."+3','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: "Dbl. Atk."+2','Pet: VIT+8',}},
		neck="Empath Necklace",
		waist="Klouskap Sash",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
	}
]]	

sets.PreSpell = {}
	sets.PreSpell['Bone Crusher'] = {
		head="Karagoz Capello +1"
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb'] = {
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Provoke'] = sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb']

sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista'] = {
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Daze'] = sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista']

--sets.MidSpell = {}

-- Normal melee group
    sets.engaged = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Mag. Acc.+19 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+19','Rng.Acc.+29','Quadruple Attack +3','Accuracy+15 Attack+15',}},
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ring="Petrov Ring",
}

sets.engaged.Acc = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		feet="Tali'ah Crackows +1",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		right_ear="Digni. Earring",
		left_ring="Chirich Ring",
		right_ring="Petrov Ring",
	}
	sets.engaged.PetSoloTank = sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank

sets.engaged.PetSoloDD = sets.idle.IdlePetSoloDD

sets.midcast.Pet['Elemental Magic'] = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+26','Pet: "Store TP"+4','Pet: CHR+6','Pet: Attack+1 Pet: Rng.Atk.+1',}},
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: AGI+2',}},
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: "Subtle Blow"+10','Pet: DEX+2','Pet: Attack+10 Pet: Rng.Atk.+10',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: Haste+4',}},
		neck="Deino Collar",
		waist="Incarnation Sash",
		right_ear="Cirque Earring",
		right_ring="Tali'ah Ring",
	}

end

-- Functions
-- Called for direct player commands.
function job_self_command(cmdParams, eventArgs)

--local command = cmdParams[1]
   local command

if #cmdParams == 1 then
      command = cmdParams[1]

elseif #cmdParams == 2 then
      command = cmdParams[1] .. ' ' .. cmdParams[2]

end

-- Bone Crusher WS Detect.
    if command == 'Bone Crusher' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Bone Crusher'])
		print("Bonecrusher")
        windower.send_command(';wait 1; gs c DelayedPetAftercast')

-- Chimera Ripper WS Detect.
    elseif command == 'Chimera Ripper' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Chimera Ripper'])
		print("ChimeraRipper")

elseif command == 'Arcuballista' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista'])
		print("Arcuballista")

elseif command == 'Daze' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Daze'])
		print("Daze")

-- Flashbulb JA Detect.
    elseif command == 'Flashbulb' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb'])
		print("Flashbulb")

-- Provoke JA Detect.
    elseif command == 'Provoke' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Provoke'])
		print("Provoke")

-- Delayed Aftercast Trigger.
    elseif command == 'DelayedPetAftercast' then
        --equip(sets.TP[sets.TP.Mode[_modeTPi]])

end

end

windower.raw_register_event("incoming chunk", function(id, data)

if id == 0x076 then

elseif id == 0x028 then

local packet = p.parse('incoming', data)

-- Finish Weaponskill
        if packet["Category"] == 3 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 4 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 6 then

if pet.isvalid == true and packet["Actor"] == pet.id then
                table.print(packet)

end

elseif packet["Category"] == 7 then

if packet["Target 1 Action 1 Param"] ~= nil then
                    local action_name = gearswap.res.monster_abilities[packet["Target 1 Action 1 Param"]].name
                    send_command('gs c ' .. action_name)

end

end

elseif packet["Category"] == 8 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 11 then

if packet["Param"] ~= nil then
                    local action_name = gearswap.res.monster_abilities[packet["Param"]].name

end

end

end

end

end)

-- Select default macro book on initial load or subjob change.
function select_default_macro_book()
    -- Default macro set/book
    if player.sub_job == 'DNC' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    elseif player.sub_job == 'NIN' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    elseif player.sub_job == 'THF' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    else
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    end
end
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-02 20:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

For anything that does matter, however, your tank maton won't be putting out any decent numbers to build hate to begin with, sadly, meaning you'll want to retain as much Enmity as possible from Heyoka+Flash (pretty sure maton voke doesn't give CE).

Ultimately though, I haven't really found any content where anything beyond -% DT on gear, 1200 JP and +Enmity gear actually made a significant difference. Anything else is mostly all minmaxing for its own sake.

Totally agreed.

If we're being honest here, NQ Rao is perfectly fine for tanking anything where a puppet tank is viable. Either Rao+1 or a full tanking Taeon set are luxury pieces that aren't really necessary. So, if I was advising a PUP on more of a budget, I'd say that your money would be better spent on NQ Rao and Heyoka pieces - which are WAY more significant for tanking (thanks to the additional enmity) than adding another DT-4% total (from 4/5 slots of DT-1% more via either of Rao+1 or Taeon) for a puppet that's already nearly indestructable.

DT/DA Taeon is nice for tanking+DD, but even that isn't really necessary. As mentioned above, you can get so much DA anyway that Taeon is not necessarily adding a ton of value since you can get so much DA already with attachments (particularly with Overdrive up) - Store TP has a lot more value for offense. And you can just mix-and match a few offensive leaning pieces and a few defensive oriented pieces for a combo that usually serves just as well as full DT/DA Taeon for survival plus damage. For instance: start off with a baseline of 3/5 armor slots using:
Head: Anwig Salade (covers a huge chunk of DT, some pet haste that can be nice to ensure you're capped)
Body: Pitre Tobe +1 (huge chunk of STP and some acc)
Legs: Tali'ah Seraweels +2 (nice hybrid piece with a huge chunk of acc, DT-5%).

Then you're just looking at playing around with hands/feet slots, which you can tailor to the situation. Need more offense and not quite as afraid of taking a lot of damage? Go with something like Tali'ah/Heyoka/Herculean/Taeon (with DA). Need some more defense? Rao/Rao+1/DT Taeon (regardless of other augs). If anything, maybe just go for two Taeon DT/DA pieces (hands/feet) and they fit regardless of role, shouldn't be THAT hard to get augments, and let you avoid having to spend big money on multiple Taeon sets, HQ abjurations, or even tossing stones at Herc gear.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-02 20:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For anything that does matter, however, your tank maton won't be putting out any decent numbers to build hate to begin with, sadly, meaning you'll want to retain as much Enmity as possible from Heyoka+Flash (pretty sure maton voke doesn't give CE).

Totally agreed.

If we're being honest here, NQ Rao is perfectly fine for tanking anything where a puppet tank is viable. Either Rao+1 or a full tanking Taeon set are luxury pieces that aren't really necessary. So, if I was advising a PUP on more of a budget, I'd say that your money would be better spent on NQ Rao and Heyoka - which is WAY more significant for tanking (thanks to the additional enmity) than another DT-4% for a puppet that's already nearly indestructable.

DT/DA Taeon is nice for tanking+DD, but even that isn't really necessary. As mentioned above, you can get so much DA anyway that Taeon is not necessarily adding a ton of value since you can get so much DA already with attachments (particularly with Overdrive up) - Store TP has a lot more value for offense. And you can just mix-and match a few offensive leaning pieces and a few defensive oriented pieces for a combo that usually serves just as well as full DT/DA Taeon for survival plus damage. For instance: start off with 3/5 armor slots of:
Head: Anwig Salade (covers a huge chunk of DT, some pet haste that can be nice to ensure you're capped)
Body: Pitre Tobe +1 (huge chunk of STP and some acc)
Legs: Tali'ah Seraweels (nice hybrid piece with a huge chunk of acc, DT-5%).

Then you're just looking at playing around with hands/feet slots, which you can tailor to the situation. Need more offense and not quite as afraid of taking a lot of damage? Go with something like Tali'ah/Heyoka/Herculean/Taeon (with DA). Need some more defense? Rao/Rao+1/DT Taeon (regardless of other augs).

Damn, and I did the same thing and tossed rao and went Taeon route. Missed macro campaign so having to go back to farming stones. Luckily just missing body now as I am using AF+3 legs instead.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-02 22:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, one of the really nice things about Rao is that if you want to use it for something else, a little bit of silt and it serves a different purpose. Then when you need to PUP again, boom, instant awesome tank piece. No need to deal with RNG anything. It is nice to access to every possible option at basically all times.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-12-02 22:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I use my DA Taeon for anything that doesn't matter.

If it's something that doesn't matter then STP herc will outdo Taeon by a long way and you likely have space for coilers so the DA wont matter as much compared to dropping a hit.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-03 00:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Well, one of the really nice things about Rao is that if you want to use it for something else, a little bit of silt and it serves a different purpose. Then when you need to PUP again, boom, instant awesome tank piece. No need to deal with RNG anything. It is nice to access to every possible option at basically all times.

While it's true that you can swap augments on Abjuration armor, that's not terribly relevant when talking about Rao.

There are limited alternate uses for 4/5 of the pieces. The only piece of Rao that is really relevant for another purpose is the head (for multihit STR WS on MNK PUP) - and that's the one piece that's not used for PUP tanking. Other than that, I don't think Rao is particularly great for anything for any of the 4 jobs on the set, except maybe for some rather niche SAM high acc sets that might use Rao+1 body/feet (but even those probably lose to Kendatsuba/+1 and/or Flamma+2 these days, I'm not really super current on my SAM). Set bonus is bad too, Martial Arts.

If it's something that doesn't matter then STP herc will outdo Taeon by a long way and you likely have space for coilers so the DA wont matter as much compared to dropping a hit.

Agreed, STP is better there. And you don't need ANY expensive augmented pieces for 2 slots: head (Tali'ah) and Body (Relic). I mean, DA Taeon is fine for the other slots I suppose, it's not an awful choice or anything - but if you're optimizing for pet DD on stuff that isn't a major threat, it's better to go Store TP.

Lakshmi.Elidyr said: »
Damn, and I did the same thing and tossed rao and went Taeon route. Missed macro campaign so having to go back to farming stones. Luckily just missing body now as I am using AF+3 legs instead.

I wouldn't worry too much, Taeon is good. Rao is good. Even though I personally lean more toward Taeon, either one will perform just fine for tanking practically anything that's PUP-friendly, and it shouldn't be too overwhelmingly hard to get by far the most important stat (DT-4%) on your Taeon gear.

Don't forget to get Red Mog Pells on all your mules for free stacks of +1 stones. Supply for sale on your server may also have an uptick at the moment too, thanks to recent pells.

If anything, maybe just go for two Taeon DT/DA pieces (hands/feet) and they fit regardless of role, shouldn't be THAT hard to get augments, and let you avoid having to spend big money on multiple Taeon sets, HQ abjurations, or even tossing stones at Herc gear.

LOL took my own advice here and pulled out my dusty old Haste+5/DA+5/Acc&Atk+20 Taeon Gloves/Boots that I've rarely used in the past year. Took me 14 Duskorb+2 to convert the Haste to DT-4% on both pieces, which will get some use in hybrid DT/petDD sets.

Interestingly, +2 stones (about 150k a pop on my server) were actually cheaper than +1s. Probably Ambuscade effect since +2s are up sometimes, even though they aren't this month. That did surprise me a bit due to free +1 stones from the recent red pells.
By Aerix 2017-12-03 07:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed, STP is better there. And you don't need ANY expensive augmented pieces for 2 slots: head (Tali'ah) and Body (Relic). I mean, DA Taeon is fine for the other slots I suppose, it's not an awful choice or anything - but if you're optimizing for pet DD on stuff that isn't a major threat, it's better to go Store TP.

I should've clarified - when I say "on anything that doesn't matter" I meant pretty much the majority of content in this game, including most of Escha - Zi'tah, Ru'aun and Reisenjima. Very few fights actually require turtling (Seiryu comes to mind), but despite most of those fights being trivial, I wouldn't forego the -DT in exchange for Store TP on Herculean in the majority of those situations, as it's still necessary to an extent. If you have spare slots, you could use double Armor Plates and wear Store TP gear, though the damage output from a tankmaton is pretty limited. Still better than nothing, I suppose.

And outside of tanking, I use my RNG maton to solo a lot stuff because its DPS just flat-out beats Valoredge without exception, but I cannot sacrifice DT for Store TP as it's still taking all the damage. DA/DT Taeon is a nice compromise that stacks with Coilers and still benefits from KKK AM3. Overdrive is an entirely different matter, though.

In any case, I love Store TP to death, but I've found very few situations in parties where I could make full use of it. More than 1-2 other DDs who spam WS will prevent you from using Inhibitors/Speedloaders, meaning you're losing out on a ton of maton DPS. At that point I'd prefer to get master buffs and just melee in a master DT hybrid set alongside my maton.

I suppose the dynamic is different if you're in a Pet LS, but I haven't had the chance to really experience that yet.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-03 10:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't really complain though. I'm only using it to tank omen bosses in small group; usually 4-7. It's working pretty well. Manage to do Fu last night with me in a party by myself. Everyone else in another party, and still had 30 minutes left. So I'd say it serves is purpose enough for me. Need to learn some of the other bOsseo though... I should finish mastering it though, not sure how big a leap 1200 jp bonus really is.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-12-03 10:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

a very big one
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2017-12-03 10:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
a very big one

Guess I know what I'm doing this week then. Hah
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2017-12-03 11:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Elidyr said: »
Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Dont't know if you are talking about the code I posted, but here was the file I was given from some one using MOTEs. I know if you use any aftercast gear that is directly related to MOTEs it can cause undesired effects. I would honestly not use any of the motes naming schemes for gear and add directly in to the command equipped version I integrated to prevent any issues. This person was still having some, and since I do not use motes, I am not exactly sure where they are all added. If you want to make it do anything more specific after equipping gear from pet abilities, you will need to add logic in further, as I did not apply it to this script.

Code
-- Setup functions for this job.  Generally should not be modified.

--INCLUDE THIS AT THE TOP OF THE FILE
p = require('packets')

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Initialization function for this job file.
function get_sets()
    mote_include_version = 2

-- Load and initialize the include file.
    include('Mote-Include.lua')
end

--[[
-- Setup vars that are user-independent.  state.Buff vars initialized here will automatically be tracked.
function job_setup()
    -- List of pet weaponskills to check for
    petWeaponskills = S{"Slapstick", "Knockout", "Magic Mortar",
        "Chimera Ripper", "String Clipper",  "Cannibal Blade", "Bone Crusher", "String Shredder",
        "Arcuballista", "Daze", "Armor Piercer", "Armor Shatterer"}

-- Map automaton heads to combat roles
    petModes = {
        ['Harlequin Head'] = 'Melee',
        ['Sharpshot Head'] = 'Ranged',
        ['Valoredge Head'] = 'Tank',
        ['Stormwaker Head'] = 'Magic',
        ['Soulsoother Head'] = 'Heal',
        ['Spiritreaver Head'] = 'Nuke'
        }

-- Subset of modes that use magic
    magicPetModes = S{'Nuke','Heal','Magic'}

-- Var to track the current pet mode.
    state.PetMode = M{['description']='Pet Mode', 'None', 'Melee', 'Ranged', 'Tank', 'Magic', 'Heal', 'Nuke'}
end
]]
-- User setup functions for this job.  Recommend that these be overridden in a sidecar file.

-- Setup vars that are user-dependent.  Can override this function in a sidecar file.
function user_setup()
    state.OffenseMode:options('Normal', 'Acc', 'PetSoloTank', 'PetSoloDD')
    state.HybridMode:options('Normal', 'DT')
    state.WeaponskillMode:options('Normal', 'Acc', 'Fodder')
    state.PhysicalDefenseMode:options('PDT', 'Evasion')
	state.IdleMode:options('IdlePetSoloTank', 'IdlePetSoloDD')

--[[	
    -- Default maneuvers 1, 2, 3 and 4 for each pet mode.

defaultManeuvers = {
        ['Melee'] = {'Fire Maneuver', 'Thunder Maneuver', 'Wind Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver'},
        ['Ranged'] = {'Wind Maneuver', 'Fire Maneuver', 'Thunder Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver'},
        ['Tank'] = {'Earth Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Wind Maneuver'},
        ['Magic'] = {'Ice Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'},
        ['Heal'] = {'Light Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Water Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'},
        ['Nuke'] = {'Ice Maneuver', 'Dark Maneuver', 'Light Maneuver', 'Earth Maneuver'}
    }
]]
    --update_pet_mode()
    select_default_macro_book()
end

-- Define sets used by this job file.
function init_gear_sets()

-- Precast Sets

-- Fast cast sets for spells
    sets.precast.FC = {
		hands="Thaumas Gloves",
		neck="Orunmila's Torque",
		waist="Siegel Sash",
		left_ear="Loquac. Earring",
		left_ring="Prolix Ring",
		back="Swith Cape",
}

-- sets.precast.FC.Utsusemi = set_combine(sets.precast.FC, {neck="Magoraga Beads"})

-- Precast sets to enhance JAs
    sets.precast.JA['Tactical Switch'] = {feet="Cirque Scarpe +2"}

sets.precast.JA['Repair'] = {feet="Foire Babouches +2",legs="Desultor tassets",ear1="Guignol Earring"}

sets.precast.JA.Maneuver = {
		neck="Buffoon's Collar +1",
		body="Cirque Farsetto +2",
	}

sets.precast.JA['Overdrive'] = {body="Pitre Tobe +1"}

-- Waltz set (chr and vit)
    sets.precast.Waltz = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		legs="Foire Churidars +2",
		feet="Foire Bab. +2",
		neck="Phalaina Locket",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ear="Handler's Earring +1",
		right_ear="Handler's Earring",
		left_ring="Ephedra Ring",
		right_ring="Sirona's Ring",
		back="Solemnity Cape",
}

-- Weaponskill sets
    -- Default set for any weaponskill that isn't any more specifically defined
    sets.precast.WS = {
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		neck="Caro Necklace",
		waist="Grunfeld Rope",
		left_ring="Apate Ring",
		right_ring="Rajas Ring",
}

sets.precast.WS['Stringing Pummel'] = {
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		neck="Caro Necklace",
		waist="Grunfeld Rope",
		left_ring="Apate Ring",
		right_ring="Begrudging Ring",
}

-- Midcast Sets

-- Haste% and -DT
    sets.midcast.FastRecast = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		body="Foire Tobe +3",
		neck="Twilight Torque",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ear="Eabani Earring",
		right_ring="Vertigo Ring",
}

-- Resting sets
    sets.resting = {head="Pitre Taj +1",waist="Fucho-no-obi",
        ring1="Sheltered Ring",ring2="Paguroidea Ring",neck="Sanctity Necklace"}

-- Idle sets

sets.idle = {sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank}

sets.idle.Town = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ring="Petrov Ring",
}

sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank = {
		head={ name="Anwig Salade", augments={'Attack+3','Pet: Damage taken -10%','Attack+3','Pet: "Regen"+1',}},
		hands={ name="Rao Kote", augments={'Pet: HP+100','Pet: Accuracy+15','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		legs="Tali'ah Sera. +2",
		feet={ name="Rao Sune-Ate", augments={'Pet: HP+100','Pet: Accuracy+15','Pet: Damage taken -3%',}},
		neck="Shepherd's Chain",
		waist="Isa Belt",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
}

sets.idle.IdlePetSoloDD = {
		body={ name="Pitre Tobe +1", augments={'Enhances "Overdrive" effect',}},
		neck="Empath Necklace",
		waist="Klouskap Sash",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
	}

--[[	sets.Bonecrusher = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: Attack+29 Pet: Rng.Atk.+29','Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: Mag. Acc.+1','Pet: "Dbl. Atk."+3','Pet: VIT+10',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: "Dbl. Atk."+2','Pet: VIT+8',}},
		neck="Empath Necklace",
		waist="Klouskap Sash",
		right_ring="Varar Ring",
	}
]]	

sets.PreSpell = {}
	sets.PreSpell['Bone Crusher'] = {
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb'] = {
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Provoke'] = sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb']

sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista'] = {
	}
	sets.PreSpell['Daze'] = sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista']

--sets.MidSpell = {}

-- Normal melee group
    sets.engaged = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		left_ring="Petrov Ring",
}

sets.engaged.Acc = {
		head="Foire Taj +3",
		legs="Heyoka Subligar",
		feet="Tali'ah Crackows +1",
		waist="Moonbow Belt",
		right_ear="Digni. Earring",
		left_ring="Chirich Ring",
		right_ring="Petrov Ring",
	}
	sets.engaged.PetSoloTank = sets.idle.IdlePetSoloTank

sets.engaged.PetSoloDD = sets.idle.IdlePetSoloDD

sets.midcast.Pet['Elemental Magic'] = {
		head={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+26','Pet: "Store TP"+4','Pet: CHR+6','Pet: Attack+1 Pet: Rng.Atk.+1',}},
		hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: "Dbl.Atk."+1 Pet: Crit.hit rate +1','Pet: AGI+2',}},
		legs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: "Subtle Blow"+10','Pet: DEX+2','Pet: Attack+10 Pet: Rng.Atk.+10',}},
		feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Pet: "Mag.Atk.Bns."+30','Pet: Haste+4',}},
		neck="Deino Collar",
		waist="Incarnation Sash",
		right_ear="Cirque Earring",
		right_ring="Tali'ah Ring",
	}

end

-- Functions
-- Called for direct player commands.
function job_self_command(cmdParams, eventArgs)

--local command = cmdParams[1]
   local command

if #cmdParams == 1 then
      command = cmdParams[1]

elseif #cmdParams == 2 then
      command = cmdParams[1] .. ' ' .. cmdParams[2]

end

-- Bone Crusher WS Detect.
    if command == 'Bone Crusher' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Bone Crusher'])
		print("Bonecrusher")

-- Chimera Ripper WS Detect.
    elseif command == 'Chimera Ripper' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Chimera Ripper'])
		print("ChimeraRipper")

elseif command == 'Arcuballista' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Arcuballista'])
		print("Arcuballista")

elseif command == 'Daze' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Daze'])
		print("Daze")

-- Flashbulb JA Detect.
    elseif command == 'Flashbulb' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Flashbulb'])
		print("Flashbulb")

-- Provoke JA Detect.
    elseif command == 'Provoke' then
        equip(sets.PreSpell['Provoke'])
		print("Provoke")

-- Delayed Aftercast Trigger.
    elseif command == 'DelayedPetAftercast' then
        --equip(sets.TP[sets.TP.Mode[_modeTPi]])

end

end

windower.raw_register_event("incoming chunk", function(id, data)

if id == 0x076 then

elseif id == 0x028 then

local packet = p.parse('incoming', data)

-- Finish Weaponskill
        if packet["Category"] == 3 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 4 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 6 then

table.print(packet)

end

elseif packet["Category"] == 7 then

if packet["Target 1 Action 1 Param"] ~= nil then
                    local action_name = gearswap.res.monster_abilities[packet["Target 1 Action 1 Param"]].name

end

end

elseif packet["Category"] == 8 then

elseif packet["Category"] == 11 then

if packet["Param"] ~= nil then
                    local action_name = gearswap.res.monster_abilities[packet["Param"]].name

end

end

end

end

end)

-- Select default macro book on initial load or subjob change.
function select_default_macro_book()
    -- Default macro set/book
    if player.sub_job == 'DNC' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    elseif player.sub_job == 'NIN' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    elseif player.sub_job == 'THF' then
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    else
        set_macro_page(1, 10)
    end
end

test :
total naked, average ws from pet : (target lapinion level 100)
4922 - 4988 - 5048 - 4969
Pet ws gear, average ws from pet :
5915 - 6141 - 6058 - 6128

So i made a naked iddle set and active GS and check if when swap gear, its active or not on ws
Average ws so :
5118 - 4783 - 5037 - 4879 - 5090

Ok its a quick test but it seem we have the same problem with GS so... (so sad)
The gear swap at the same time the ws proc but its still too late.
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 68 69 70