Phoenix.Supakoneko
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Supakoneko 2013-12-23 10:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Korebin said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Odin.Korebin said: »
I'm still new to the whole proc. mob thing I'm doing ok with the red staggers but whats the best way to get the white proc?

Be lucky.

You've got to be subjobless, so really you only get white procs when you're dancer main. Obviously you can do it on any job, but dancer's going to be the only one with a shot while still getting any respectable currency otherwise.
This is what I cant figure out! How do you go in subjobless? Or is that just an expression meaning that most of the procures need to come from main JA?

When you zone into dreamlands, it will give you the option to go with your subjob locked or unlocked.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-12-23 10:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
The only "key", which is pretty obvious, is finding the balance between kill speed and proc %. If you spend more than X seconds on a mob, it's not worth it, better rush the next one. Picking camp based on the fact that they are near a second family that can be easily proced following the same formula is also key in making your average higher (priority goes JA > WS). Stuff like that. I don't go the DNC way, I have literally never gotten a single 100 in over 1000 Dynamis.

So you ws proc? Provoke proc and kill if it doesn't proc? Or when you say "you don't go the dnc way" do you mean you go /dnc rather than dancer main?

I've tried straight kill speed runs using ws procs. It never gets very good results.

Nothing you're telling me is a revelation, but I don't get quite the results you apparently do.
 Odin.Korebin
Server: Odin
user: Korebin
By Odin.Korebin 2013-12-23 10:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahhh! Gotcha! Thats my problem cuz I'm just been doing city's all I need is Sandy and then I'm good i guess?
 Asura.Chartorkz
Server: Asura
user: charaxes
By Asura.Chartorkz 2013-12-23 10:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I had stopped doing dynamis and decided to try it once again after the iLvl gear on my BST. On my first few days i was kinda surprised cause i was making 350ish which was a really nice jump from the usual 250-280 from before.

After that seeing that even BST was able to evade most of the DC mobs attacks i decided to switch to THF. It sure is more dangerous on links since you won't be having a pet taking the hits for you but the extra drops are totally worth it.

i'm averaging around 420. 380-410 with competition or bad proc days. 420-460ish with no competition. So far my highest has been 468.
By gargurty 2013-12-23 11:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

best i had on dnc no sub was 600+, tho that was with 4 white procs :)
and on dc.
By volkom 2013-12-23 11:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

whats the best place to farm currency?
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-12-23 12:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
whats the best place to farm currency?
solely depends on which zone you're best experienced with.

I knew Valkurm was my spot when I saw that I could have easily broken 300+ currency on BLU/DNC (TH sash), had my game not crashed and competition didn't kill some of my funguars.
By volkom 2013-12-23 12:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently doing tavnazia however I feel like there is a huge lack of any chance to get a 100 piece to drop.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-12-23 12:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
The only "key", which is pretty obvious, is finding the balance between kill speed and proc %. If you spend more than X seconds on a mob, it's not worth it, better rush the next one. Picking camp based on the fact that they are near a second family that can be easily proced following the same formula is also key in making your average higher (priority goes JA > WS). Stuff like that. I don't go the DNC way, I have literally never gotten a single 100 in over 1000 Dynamis.

So you ws proc? Provoke proc and kill if it doesn't proc? Or when you say "you don't go the dnc way" do you mean you go /dnc rather than dancer main?

I've tried straight kill speed runs using ws procs. It never gets very good results.

Nothing you're telling me is a revelation, but I don't get quite the results you apparently do.
/DNC yes, I just meant that I don't go for white, it's a waste of time. The X is usually one or two rotations depending on your timers. You can allow more rotations if your camp(s) is(are) empty, obviously. Same goes for WS.

It's really nothing special, I remember people back then in the BST Dynamis thread who reached the same averages (yes, average). Much like most of what FFXI has to offer, it just requires a specific mindset but the knowledge is already out there for everyone to access.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-12-23 12:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So reading on, it seems like everyone getting over 400 currency solo is on thief. I don't care for thief much, I don't find it a real strong or enjoyable job, but I will break mine out tonight and see how I do. Losing the extra DW, Saber Dance, and extra proc is going to hurt at first, LOL.

You've got to be subjobless, so really you only get white procs when you're dancer main. Obviously you can do it on any job, but dancer's going to be the only one with a shot while still getting any respectable currency otherwise.

PUP can do it too and keep TH1 (sash).
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-12-23 12:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
So reading on, it seems like everyone getting over 400 currency solo is on thief. I don't care for thief much, I don't find it a real strong or enjoyable job, but I will break mine out tonight and see how I do. Losing the extra DW, Saber Dance, and extra proc is going to hurt at first, LOL.
PUP can do it too and keep TH1 (sash).

If you're using subjobs, sadly, thief is really almost a requirement. Or TH of some sort, at least. It really does boost things quite a bit.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-12-23 13:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Over 50+ runs pre-seekers THF/DNC Valk EP manticore/flytrap/sheep minimum 286, maximum 376 with 11 touch. 99Mandau/oynos no offhand changing. Average 315ish, however some runs I could end up holding five flytraps from say 0:00 to 5:00 thats 10mins before they started to proc and still exit with 330. 450 average sounds really high for THF/DNC solo on ep even considering the benefits of Seekers gear you're still restricted by proc speed. However i've not been in dynamis in over 6 months so I may have to try a run now to see how many I can get.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2013-12-24 00:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Went in as BST with just the new axes. Used a lot less food and dawns.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-12-25 14:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried Dyna-Valkurm as thief, which didn't go well, and reminded me of how much I loathe playing that job. Then last night I was able to get 435 currency solo as DNC/THF, not sure what I did differently but it beat my previous high by a ton. I didn't even get TEs cleanly but it was still a heck of a run.
 Siren.Alterego
Server: Siren
user: Darxoul
By Siren.Alterego 2013-12-25 20:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Extra proc?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-12-26 20:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Alterego said: »
Extra proc?

I guess it's not extra per se, because thief gets Bully, but dancer has Wild Flourish, which is every 30 seconds.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-26 13:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it's a necro post, but just reading through this, the one thing I noticed nobody mentioned is TE farm time. That can really make the difference in a run. Many avoid Dynamis Valkurm because the TE's are more spread out than Buburimu/Qufim/Tav.

If you're using a speed enhancing program of some sort, it gives you a major advantage on being able to kill TE's faster and move on to actual farming. However, getting arrested/banned will really hurt your average.

I personally like using AP Radar when hunting the TE's. I know the general area of every TE, so using this allows me to find them more quickly than Widescan (I think AP Radar is currently broken though).

Another tip for anyone who cares - lowering damage is almost NEVER the best course of action. The only time you should ever turn to proc instead of just kill is if you are having to wait on respawn because you are in a smaller camp or you have competition.

The logic behind that is this: if you turn to avoid killing the mob and wait on your JA timers, or you choose not to WS so you can wait on your JA timers, then maybe it will work out for you and you will proc it on the next JA. However, during that time you wait, you could've just killed that mob and maybe got 1 currency anyway, while moving on to the next mob and using your JA timers on that one instead. Look at this way... 1 mob proc'd + 1 mob that isn't proc'd is still better than just 1 mob proc'd.

Until recently, I haven't set foot in Dynamis in about 13 months. My first time back in, I managed to get 511 coins (I don't remember the number of forgottens) as THF/DNC 2-boxing a BRD/WHM. I was pretty rusty and wasted a lot of time because of that, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to do closer to 600 the next time I go.

Things I was pretty rusty about:
Forgot to load AP Radar and type in the name of each TE before I entered
Forgot which mobs to fight during the appropriate times for JA procs (had to look it up on BG Wiki after getting the TE's)
Forgot to put up reraise before going in
Forgot to leave enough inventory space for all the extra crap that drops (not only lost time having to put stuff in my sack/satchel but also lost some currency that dropped out of the treasure pool).
Forgot to eat food
Forgot about Hide
Forgot about Bully
Was a little sluggish about keeping up haste and marches
Didn't pay attention to the time very well. A few times I was still fighting mobs that had changed to WS proc and didn't notice until my WS proc'd them.

As for the old argument - THF/DNC verse DNC/THF - I think nowadays that THF/DNC is better, but I haven't tested it yet. Before SoA, I determined that DNC/THF was actually better for Decent Challenge farming. I farmed a month straight on each. As THF/DNC I was able to get my highest coin count, but as DNC/THF, my average coin count ended up being a little better.

I'll start farming for Ghorn soon so I will probably try both jobs again and see how things go.

Oh, and for anyone that cares, the best duo (or 2-box) setup (in the same zone) by a pretty large margin, is THF/DNC + DNC with no subjob. Always let DNC use his/her procs first for chance at whites. Always make sure THF tags each one with TH gear. I would use this in my 2-box setup but I don't have any desire to level, skill, or gear my mule.

P.S. I am waaaay too bored at work today and the Politics/Religion forum arguments are almost as bad as the arguments on Youtube, lol.
[+]
By Sieha1 2014-02-26 13:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

They updated ApRadar so it works now fyi. tho the maps are still bit off, the mobs show up now. Any job widescan is a big help on this.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-02-26 13:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I still love bst/dnc + thf/dnc its proc and move proc and move lol.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-02-28 16:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Peldin, about THF/DNC versus DNC/THF, I run Dynamis on both regularly (and PUP as well). I'm bored at work too so I'll break down my experiences of how these three jobs compare.

THF/DNC Pros:
  • Extra TH means more currency per mob

• Highest evasion and higher parry

• Can stack SA with WS for killshots

• Access to more movement speed for TE killing

THF/DNC Cons:
  • Lowest damage and kill rate

• Least survivability, evasion gain negligible for Dyna

DNC/THF Pros:
  • 3rd proc on lower CD, effectively grants additional proc over THF

• More damage compared to THF

• Fan Dance and higher Waltz tiers for emergencies, not much of a benefit really

• More Subtle Blow, creates a notable difference in mob TP moves used

• Self-SC for finishers

DNC/THF Cons:
  • Have to ride out Saber Dance, so Waltz isn't always available

PUP/THF Pros:
  • More damage than thief, maybe more than DNC too

• Automaton procs and curing not tied to TP

• Stringing Pummel far outclasses any dagger WS

• Since normal hits are often over 500 with Oatixur, very good way to farm sparks while you farm currency

• Access to TH3

• Little competition on WS times

• Protect 5/Shell 5 plus automaton make PUP the tougher Dyna job, useful against mage beastmen aggro

• Easiest TE pulls

PUP/THF Cons:
  • Effectively fewer procs than THF or DNC

• Automaton vulnerable to silence

• Have to buy powders/oils to get around zones

First of all, I don't think that it's possible to farm as much currency on puppetmaster as you would on THF, DNC, or maybe BLU and BST. I'd love to be proven wrong but the automaton only has two procs, plus master WS, plus auto WS. I only see about 325-350 currency on PUP solo. On both thief and dancer, yields vary by competition, but it's generally 375-450. Of those two, I like THF more where the zone has competition, and DNC more where there is no competition. On thief you can get more currency per mobs. Dancer needs more mobs to get the same amount of currency.
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2014-02-28 16:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
I know it's a necro post, but just reading through this, the one thing I noticed nobody mentioned is TE farm time. That can really make the difference in a run. Many avoid Dynamis Valkurm because the TE's are more spread out than Buburimu/Qufim/Tav.

If you're using a speed enhancing program of some sort, it gives you a major advantage on being able to kill TE's faster and move on to actual farming. However, getting arrested/banned will really hurt your average.

I personally like using AP Radar when hunting the TE's. I know the general area of every TE, so using this allows me to find them more quickly than Widescan (I think AP Radar is currently broken though).

Another tip for anyone who cares - lowering damage is almost NEVER the best course of action. The only time you should ever turn to proc instead of just kill is if you are having to wait on respawn because you are in a smaller camp or you have competition.

The logic behind that is this: if you turn to avoid killing the mob and wait on your JA timers, or you choose not to WS so you can wait on your JA timers, then maybe it will work out for you and you will proc it on the next JA. However, during that time you wait, you could've just killed that mob and maybe got 1 currency anyway, while moving on to the next mob and using your JA timers on that one instead. Look at this way... 1 mob proc'd + 1 mob that isn't proc'd is still better than just 1 mob proc'd.

Until recently, I haven't set foot in Dynamis in about 13 months. My first time back in, I managed to get 511 coins (I don't remember the number of forgottens) as THF/DNC 2-boxing a BRD/WHM. I was pretty rusty and wasted a lot of time because of that, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to do closer to 600 the next time I go.

Things I was pretty rusty about:
Forgot to load AP Radar and type in the name of each TE before I entered
Forgot which mobs to fight during the appropriate times for JA procs (had to look it up on BG Wiki after getting the TE's)
Forgot to put up reraise before going in
Forgot to leave enough inventory space for all the extra crap that drops (not only lost time having to put stuff in my sack/satchel but also lost some currency that dropped out of the treasure pool).
Forgot to eat food
Forgot about Hide
Forgot about Bully
Was a little sluggish about keeping up haste and marches
Didn't pay attention to the time very well. A few times I was still fighting mobs that had changed to WS proc and didn't notice until my WS proc'd them.

As for the old argument - THF/DNC verse DNC/THF - I think nowadays that THF/DNC is better, but I haven't tested it yet. Before SoA, I determined that DNC/THF was actually better for Decent Challenge farming. I farmed a month straight on each. As THF/DNC I was able to get my highest coin count, but as DNC/THF, my average coin count ended up being a little better.

I'll start farming for Ghorn soon so I will probably try both jobs again and see how things go.

Oh, and for anyone that cares, the best duo (or 2-box) setup (in the same zone) by a pretty large margin, is THF/DNC + DNC with no subjob. Always let DNC use his/her procs first for chance at whites. Always make sure THF tags each one with TH gear. I would use this in my 2-box setup but I don't have any desire to level, skill, or gear my mule.

P.S. I am waaaay too bored at work today and the Politics/Religion forum arguments are almost as bad as the arguments on Youtube, lol.

My personal preference in zones where mobs are plentiful is to hold mobs until they proc, up to the time I get tired of them not proccing and/or they begin to become overwhelming. I don't waste time this way as I grab another mob and start beating on it, trying to proc that mob until it procs, then jump back to the other one with my procs. There are times where I have had 5 mobs on me, unprocced, which is about where I start to give up and kill them. But there are also times where I'm about to give up and rapidfire procs generating 15 coins within a minute.
By Deckardmagnus 2014-02-28 17:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm straight up coin-farming, I see no reason to do anything other than DNC/00. Yes, the odds for a white proc are low, but the chance of it, in my experience, outweighs the faster kill speed of having a SJ or the TH gain from THF.

Beyond that, I find DNC to simply be a joy to perform on - the higher Drain Samba makes the need to Waltz at all rare, and only really necessary when you have several unprocced mobs on you. But that situation - several unprocced mobs - is likewise slimmer on DNC, as you have an additional proc move over anyone /dnc; the benefits of No Foot Rise and Presto to help get finishing moves in a pinch is valuable, as well.

My DNC/00 coin yield is, on average, roughly the same as my THF/DNC yields - the latter is usually a bit higher, but not by so much it blow my mind, maybe 20-25. Factor in that I get a 100-piece roughly once per run (averaging out lots and lots of runs over lots of time, mind you)... and DNC/00 has always won out for me, coin-wise, ever since SoA made everything Incredibly Easy Prey. I do stay on the old EP mobs, though, as DNC/00, since they do die faster and therefore give me more opportunities for white proc.

However, if I were farming for more than coins - forgottens, or AF2/-1 - then I'd probably go THF/DNC.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [65 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Shipp
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 15:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to have to start doing DC mobs or something, because these numbers solo without a 100 piece seem dubious to me. Most I have ever gotten solo is 280ish on IEP mobs, and that's due to some mobs just refusing to proc for over five minutes. I obviously move on to other mobs and proc them while keeping the straggler until I can proc it, and this is also while fulltiming TK for lower dps that I still have to usually turn around from so I don't kill before proc. At this point are DC mobs actually better to kill? I think I remember something about them dropping more coins on average (or maybe that's just forgotten stuff).

Dual boxing isn't an option I'm willing to do, especially since I'm not unhappy about my coin rate, but I would also like to max it solo if I'm doing something wrong.
By Pantafernando 2014-05-04 17:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DC mobs proc a lot faster than easy prey. If farming DC is a better choice, will depend how fast you can kill, as ofc, DC has a higher HP pool. Also, the DC farming net a lot higher forgotten drops. The best i did was 70 forgotten thoughts in dynamis xarcabard. That makes for a great complement for currency.

Also, when farming you should consider if poping NMs is a viable option. Ive been doing city dynamis runs for afs, and always check what drop is nice in a zone. Yesterday I did windurst, and farmed a oneiros ring that i sold for 500k. Today I did bastok, plus a 100 currency that dropped from NM (its damn rare).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-04 17:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Its mostly luck but on a good day on DCs with i119 you can get between 80-110 coins in one JA cycle. Ex: 110 bronzes during one 8-16:00 period. That's if there is no competition and the procs are generous.
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 19:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Its mostly luck but on a good day on DCs with i119 you can get between 80-110 coins in one JA cycle. Ex: 110 bronzes during one 8-16:00 period. That's if there is no competition and the procs are generous.

Thank you both. Currently I am getting 75-80 coins per full cycle, unless I get insanely lucky with first or second steps procing, but I feel I'm wasting time due to constantly having to pull multiple mobs and finally turn around at 20% on each of them because they refuse to proc.

I'll have to give the dc ones a shot a few times and see if I can rake in more coins. I'm really not worried about kill speed or death as I can do a few marjami reives solo (dps npcs, I cure myself with waltzes, so no difference without them in dyna), so surviving shouldn't be an issue, and as it is currently, I'm wasting a lot of time trying to proc and having to engage multiple mobs at once due to that, even with fulltiming a TK in offhand instead of a good dps dagger.
By Pantafernando 2014-05-04 20:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shipp said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Thank you both. Currently I am getting 75-80 coins per full cycle, unless I get insanely lucky with first or second steps procing, but I feel I'm wasting time due to constantly having to pull multiple mobs and finally turn around at 20% on each of them because they refuse to proc.

I'll have to give the dc ones a shot a few times and see if I can rake in more coins. I'm really not worried about kill speed or death as I can do a few marjami reives solo (dps npcs, I cure myself with waltzes, so no difference without them in dyna), so surviving shouldn't be an issue, and as it is currently, I'm wasting a lot of time trying to proc and having to engage multiple mobs at once due to that, even with fulltiming a TK in offhand instead of a good dps dagger.

Experienced people says that there is a sweet point where you must just kill and move on instead keeping to proc. Even a proced mob can drop singles, and a non proced mob can drop singles, maybe doubles. But if the time you takes to proc one you could kill and proc another, you should always consider if you should insist or no. Some mobs just insist in not to proc lol.
[+]
By BlaTheTaru 2014-05-04 20:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been soloing dyna on thf/Dnc for a few years, and trust me off handing a thief knife will net you less currency than a good dps knife. I mainhand a 119 mandau and offhand delve shark dagger. On a bad proc day I can walk away with 300. Just auto attack until its proced and then ws or auto attack until its dead. If it doesn't proc then it doesn't proc.
By Pantafernando 2014-05-04 20:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
I've been soloing dyna on thf/Dnc for a few years, and trust me off handing a thief knife will net you less currency than a good dps knife. I mainhand a 119 mandau and offhand delve shark dagger. On a bad proc day I can walk away with 300. Just auto attack until its proced and then ws or auto attack until its dead. If it doesn't proc then it doesn't proc.

Thats no longer necessary with new th dagger, thats strong enough, and if you have marjami win, you can replace the belt to cap th with very low drop in dps.
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 20:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
Yeah, I'm not new to dyna at all, but I've been wondering if I should just kill and move on instead of stubbornly trying to proc for literally 5+ minutes at times while meleeing other mobs. I also figured the TK is netting me a loss, since currency isn't rare and the effects are negligible compared to a fatter kill rate.

I'll give it a go with just killing normally and if it doesn't proc it doesn't proc. Nothing infuriates me more than to spend 5 minutes of spamming steps to get one coin of a proc'd mob, then accidentally kill an unproc'd one and also get a coin.

Thanks again for the tips.