Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 130 131 132
 Valefor.Vardaman
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Vardaman
By Valefor.Vardaman 2017-02-04 12:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys. RNG is the first job where I've actually needed to worry about specific amounts of store TP and X-hit builds, so I appreciate your helping me figure this out. Sure looks like an easy solution would be to glue a COR to myself.
 Odin.Pistallion
Server: Odin
By Odin.Pistallion 2017-02-08 06:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Someone on the forums once said don't put aluminum siding on an outhouse when talking about getting RMEA when not having other good gear. While I'm not calling your gear an outhouse it is a funny way to think of things.

When you're starting out, it's very tempting to just go for the big weapons. But if you're wanting to optimize your time and gil spent vs reward, an endgame weapon or HQ abjuration armor/HQ crafted accessories should be at the end of your list not the top. I was pretty obsessive in going over all my gear options vs my current, then assigning them a % value increase over my current dps, and then having a ratio of % value increase over cost (which includes time converted to gil per hour) to determine what to chase next. That and planning it is the best way I know how to gear up and something I still follow today (for reasons like this I still don't have AG nirvana cuz it only adds staff skill for SMN which does almost nothing for dps and costs 100 mil).

Doing all of that work, vs your current gear, and the changing gear, is a lot of planning. There isn't really a simple answer as the game always changes and I don't know all your current gear. I will say that the Orion +3 set is amazing but the Orion +1 set is about... what 3 years old gear now? And I'm not sure it was great even then, at least for dealing damage. Keep it for the JA though and to eventually upgrade.

Here's what you should prioritize:
1) Getting a good preshot set with at the very least, capped snapshot with flurry I. Attack speed is the #1 contributor to dps as it affects your white damage and tp gain very directly.
2) Get a good midshot set. For ranger this means, STP, Ranged Accuracy and Ranged Attack in about that order.
3) Get a good WS set. This will depend on what WS you are using.

Take a look at Pursuer's gear from Zi'Tah (Edit: as well as Meghanada +1 and Mummu +1 sets from Ambuscade). That gear is a stepping stone to Sky Abjuration armor and eventually reisenjima armor. Also get your relic hat ASAP, and use it in your midshot set, and empy body and use it in your preshot set. Meganada +1 especially actually has some use in a few endgame sets so getting that should be a priority as well.

Down the line, when your sets are optimized to the point they can support and gain a lot out of a 160mil investment in a relic, that's when you should aim to make one. Otherwise, you will be left in embarrassing situations where a non RMEA ranger contributes more than you and people give you odd long looks, try to remember that while a very important slot, the weapon slot is only one of 16 slots and all slots contribute a lot to damage. Before the 119 III updates, a lot of RME would actually only add about 6% to 8% dps, now that number is a lot higher, but you should still look to have a great foundation for an endgame weapon or it just won't perform. I wouldn't suggest making any RME until you have at the least, sky abjuration armors, relevant relic and empy pieces, and some great augs on herculean armor, as well as relevant accessories from Escha, Vagary, quests, and other content.

It's more about the journey than the destination, any job is never done, and there's always more you can improve on, the nature of MMO's is a continuous grind that never ends but you get never ending self betterment out of it. If you accept that mentality, it'll probably do you more good than anything else I could tell you.

Is the first post of this guide a updated place to look for my precast guide?

Also, what exactly is "precast?" Like is that the gear you equip before you attack? And then do u have that equipped most of the time u till you do a WS?
 Asura.Blitzjr
Server: Asura
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2017-02-12 13:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got a working gs for ranger? Mines won't equip snapshot set before firing....
By Verda 2017-02-12 14:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Pistallion said: »

Also, what exactly is "precast?" Like is that the gear you equip before you attack? And then do u have that equipped most of the time u till you do a WS?

Nope the guide isn't updated.

Precast just goes back as a term to the spellcast addon, precast would be fast cast for spells, then your mid cast would have potency. Ranged attacks work really similar in having pre and mid shot sets, so you often see people call it precast as well as preshot because that's still how you define it in gearswap as the precast set.

Every shot you equip snapshot, velocity shot, rapid shot when you start firing then before your hit lands you need to have midshot stuff on, which is everything but attack speed stuff.

Asura.Blitzjr said: »
Anyone got a working gs for ranger? Mines won't equip snapshot set before firing....
My folder has one, it's not simple but it does work very well for me and quite a few others:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/83q4ryw51rdrq/DPS_Spreadsheets_and_Gearswap
 Asura.Blitzjr
Server: Asura
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2017-02-12 14:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope the guide isn't updated.

Precast just goes back as a term to the spellcast addon, precast would be fast cast for spells, then your mid cast would have potency. Ranged attacks work really similar in having pre and mid shot sets, so you often see people call it precast as well as preshot because that's still how you define it in gearswap as the precast set.

Every shot you equip snapshot, velocity shot, rapid shot when you start firing then before your hit lands you need to have midshot stuff on, which is everything but attack speed stuff.

Asura.Blitzjr said: »
My folder has one, it's not simple but it does work very well for me and quite a few others:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/83q4ryw51rdrq/DPS_Spreadsheets_and_Gearswap

I'll try it out. Thanks
 Odin.Willster
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2017-02-12 17:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone mind showing me a good Trueflight set? Attempting kei and hasn't been going well.
 Odin.Pistallion
By Odin.Pistallion 2017-02-13 07:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What's a good goal, then, for Preshott gear I should be getting as my first priority
By clearlyamule 2017-02-13 12:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What's a good goal, then, for Preshott gear I should be getting as my first priority
First goal should capping snapshot with at least some rapid shot with just flurry 1 which you should always have. After that you might want to play around with getting some to keep you capped in various amounts of flurry while maximizing rapidshot after that. Note reforged af3 body and ambuscade capes are pretty much auto includes regardless

Odin.Willster said: »
Anyone mind showing me a good Trueflight set? Attempting kei and hasn't been going well.
I don't have itemsets setup right now and I haven't finished mathing my stuff out partly cause not done augmenting (which piece ends up winning kind of changes a bit as you get more of one stat or another) and for some reason can't access my notes so this is somewhat from memory so bear with me but it should look something like this

Malevolence/Malevolence/gast/quelling bolt
Herc/Baetyl Pendant/Friomisi Earring/moonshade
herc/carmine+1/Dingir Ring/Weatherspoon Ring +1
Belenus's/Hachirin-no-Obi/herc/herc

So obviously wsd/mab and if you are lucky agi on the herc. Max mab on the daggers. wsd, agi and mdg/macc on cape. Some slight side/down grades/alternatives would be say wsd mab taeon in place of the herc. Think some situations max herc hands might beat carmine. Sanctity Necklace if no baetyl. Ilabrat Ring or Arvina Ring +1 if not using an sao ring. Svelt. Gouriz +1 if no weather/day or if they contradict. af+3 body pretty good too
By Verda 2017-02-13 16:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current set:
ItemSet 344228

If no storms then you can use sveltesse gouriz +1 instead.

It's not perfect because perfect herc augs hard to come by. I shoot for 33-35 mab and decent magic acc. WSD is a bonus.

If you're 3k TP replace moonshade with Ishvara or Novio.

Perfect herc beats Samnuah in all but macc, but gl getting it. Also Orion +3 head will outperform all but the very best Herc I just don't have it yet.
[+]
By Feanorsof 2017-02-13 16:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Would a good AGI/WSD Herc still not beat 33-35mab?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-02-13 17:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Feanorsof said: »

That much MAB should win, even without WSD. Though if you happen to have a good AGI/WSD piece (which is pretty great for Last Stand and is prob worth keeping for that), it's not a bad option until you do get a good MAB (ideally with some WSD) Herc.

For most RNG and COR, I'd think that prioritizing magical WS gear is more important than Last Stand gear (though YMMV based on what targets you usually find yourself fighting), so using the "magic" path on Herc is probably your best approach: MAB/MAcc/WSD all on same path. AGI is gonna be very rare going magic path, since it's an off-path augment - but it can happen if you're very lucky. Ranged and Melee path can both get AGI+WSD, but MAB/Macc are gonna be off path and are more important to your Trueflight/Wildfire/Leaden damage.

clearlyamule said: »
Max mab on the daggers.

Also maybe worth mentioning that even with garbage augments, base Malevolence is still great. I've yet to see a single capped Malevolence, but my two mediocre ones are still ahead of the next best option.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-02-13 17:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Feanorsof said: »
agi is kind of hard to compare since it's part of base dmg and percent gains will vary based on mob agi and tp so it's hard to really math out too awful much without making a few assumptions. But generally speaking I'd expect 3-4 agi ~1% dmg increase. Most good trueflight sets without outside buffs should be rocking a good 250-300 mab which means about 3-4 MAB ~1% dmg increase as well. wsd is probably the stat most likely to vary but no sets are going to have huge amounts and 1 wsd is likely to increase dmg by around .75-1%. Very rough approximation says yes it's possible but even with 5 wsd and 15 agi it's gunna be pretty close. The odds of you getting some combo of mab and wsd that beats that is way higher than getting that perfect taupe agi/wsd combo

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Also maybe worth mentioning that even with garbage augments, base Malevolence is still great. I've yet to see a single capped Malevolence, but my two mediocre ones are still ahead of the next best option.
Not necessarily. Trilling dagger depending on your total mab comes pretty dang close to a capped dagger(can actually beat it with enough mab but off the top of my head think you need mab buffs for that vs a capped dagger) and if you offhand you don't have to worry about the macc issues. Also if macc not an issue at all chat staff might win under weather
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-02-13 17:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Trilling dagger a good point as an offhand alternative for Trueflight, but in most scenarios I've tested, I still get Malevolence coming out no worse than sidegrade-ish even without any MAB augment. FWIW, Trilling also does nothing for Wildfire, while Malevolence is excellent.
By clearlyamule 2017-02-13 18:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bah just remembered about the mdmg which does make a small difference. Yeah now that I think about it more it's more likely to only win in high mab situations against an unaugmented one. But it also helps with Righteous bolts!!! Btw anyone mathed those out?
34/44 108

edit: ok so since brought it up decided to math it out. Using verda's set above is 181 agi, 325 mdmg with just 1 dagger. Assuming 3k tp, player base agi of 110, and mob agi of 150. No mab augments you need at least +470 mab for trilling to win and max augment need at least +637 mab without offhand dagger of course. Given the set posted assuming 35 mab augs on the Herc and max on the SR ones only comes out to +313 would need quite a bit of buffs for trilling to win it seems.
[+]
 Odin.Willster
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2017-02-14 20:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current set:
ItemSet 344228

If no storms then you can use sveltesse gouriz +1 instead.

It's not perfect because perfect herc augs hard to come by. I shoot for 33-35 mab and decent magic acc. WSD is a bonus.

If you're 3k TP replace moonshade with Ishvara or Novio.

Perfect herc beats Samnuah in all but macc, but gl getting it. Also Orion +3 head will outperform all but the very best Herc I just don't have it yet.
Thanks bud
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2017-02-14 22:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current set, Gyve is there until i get much better augments on Herc, which i have really shitty luck with. When you say "Perfect Herc" what's the values on that? I cant seem to get anything above 25mab/macc.

ItemSet 349530
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-02-15 00:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu said: »
This is my current set, Gyve is there until i get much better augments on Herc, which i have really shitty luck with. When you say "Perfect Herc" what's the values on that? I cant seem to get anything above 25mab/macc.

As I understand it, theoretically perfect non-DM augments would be MAB&Macc+40, WSD+4% (5% with Fern stones), and for the phenomenally lucky, off-path AGI+10 (+15 with Taupe stones). That roll is also absurdly unlikely.

Realistically, I like Verda's previous advice of shooting for MAB in the mid-30s paired with some additional Macc as very good pieces. Think of WSD (or a very lucky off path AGI augment) as a bonus. You'd most likely want to use Magic path and Pellucid stones for highest likelihood of getting augments like that.

Ideal non-DM MAB/Macc augments would be Macc/MAB+40. Cap info is detailed at the Oseem/Arcane Glyptics BG page.

1) "Slot 1" Acc/Atk/Acc&Atk slot. This slot can occur with Taupe/Fern stones at ~60% rate, and is guaranteed with Pellucid. BG says cap is 30 for single MAcc or MAB, and 25 for MAcc&MAB combined augment, and that seems reasonable to me.

2) Purely random (~40% chance regardless of stone used) "Accuracy" slot for up to Macc+15. This is "Slot 4" at the above link.

3) Purely random (~40% chance regardless of stone used) "Attack" slot for up to MAB+15. This is "Slot 4" at the above link.

BG also says that apparently if the combined augments from the above slots exceeds Acc or Atk +40, the "Slot 4" or "Slot 5" Acc or Atk augment will be dropped. I don't recall personally seeing anything that would contradict that, and I see no reason to doubt this to be true.

Note that DM augments can certainly exceed normal caps. I have a DM Herc Helm with MAB+46/MAcc+18 (and TH+1!), and DM can also exceed the other caps like WSD (seen some impressive WSD exceeding normal +4/+5 fern cap, like WSD+9%).

I've also rolled some lucky acc/atk augments on other pieces without DM. For instance, Herc Boots with DEX+7 Acc+34 Atk+36 TA+3 (was a Pellucid or Fern stone, can't recall which). That kind of lucky augment is really really rare though.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-02-15 00:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Chriscoffey said: »
Draylo has one of the best, if not the best, herc heads from the DM campaign. 10%ws dmg and high 30s mab along with 10agi i think. Check out the dm aug thread for some sad panda face for magical ranged ws pieces.

Yeah, I saw that one and it's absurd. Couldn't recall offhand if it was 10% or 9% WSD, but that's highest I've ever seen. Paired with MAB and AGI is just drool-worthy. Of course, I could get 500 DM tries a day and I doubt I'd get that in a full year. But you CAN hit the jackpot!
By clearlyamule 2017-02-15 00:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Note that the general note up top of bg wiki is not 100% accurate for all pieces and all stats which is why you should check the ranges belong for different sets. Like pet stats on non merle gear or acc on mage gear mab on melee gear. Notably pretty sure non DM caps mab cap for herc is 35. I personally haven't seen any high combined macc/mab so can't comment but from other pieces I've seen things where it appeared like you couldn't get combined instead you could get the main roll of one and then the small roll of another

Also I wouldn't consider wsd just a perk. Will vary somewhat but 1 wsd will be worth about 3-4 mab. So like I have a 28 mab 5 wsd piece that should beat out any pure mab aug outside of dm augs. That said I haven't had a single DM aug that beat my normal ones yet :(. And my normal are far from perfect
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-02-15 01:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Also I wouldn't consider wsd just a perk. Will vary somewhat but 1 wsd will be worth about 3-4 mab. So like I have a 28 mab 5 wsd piece that should beat out any pure mab aug outside of dm augs. That said I haven't had a single DM aug that beat my normal ones yet :(. And my normal are far from perfect

Yeah, that's fair. Perhaps it's to dismissive to just call WSD a "perk", but I've had better luck focusing more on the MAB than the WSD. After many many ferns.

And yeah, I tossed a ton of Herc at Oseem last month's campaigns and got nothing better than my fairly solid but also far from perfect non-DM augments...
[+]
By Verda 2017-02-15 10:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu said: »
When you say "Perfect Herc" what's the values on that? I cant seem to get anything above 25mab/macc.

Unfortunately the values for herc are lower than merlinic. 35 macc and 35 mab are the caps for that category. WSD damage will be either 4% or 5%. You have as much chance of getting melee attack as AGI on magic path so i'd just not even try for that I have done over 6000 stones for these kinds of augs and seen agi twice and both time it was with the other augments being crud.

Here's my herc augments if anyone finds it useful:
Code
herchelm_mab ={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Mag. Acc.+20 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+20','INT+9','Mag. Acc.+14','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+14',}}
herctrou_mab={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Mag. Acc.+19 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+19','Weapon skill damage +3%','MND+4','Mag. Acc.+4','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+8',}}
hercboots_mab={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Mag. Acc.+20 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+20','"Fast Cast"+2','MND+8','Mag. Acc.+6','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+15',}}

Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-15 10:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Is gastraphetes significantly better for trueflight than fomalhaut? Looking at the new delay models the lower delay seems to cost it significantly. The tp bonus is not far behind the 30% boost unless saving 2250+ tp to waste part of it. Numbers assume moonshade.

1000 tp - 28.6% boost from tp bonus
1500 tp - 24.7% boost from tp bonus
2000 tp - 21.8% boost from tp bonus

dmg:321 on gastra/quelling vs dmg:444 on fomalhaut/devastating makes up a pretty big portion of white damage

with just snapshot the delay difference is 2.88 sec on gastra vs 3.3 on fomalhaut, with rapid shot and velocity the difference shrinks even further(and might even be effectively identical due to packet delay)

furthermore, at 154 base tp it's difficult to 3hit a gastraphetes(seeing no store tp in that ws set, so all you get is a 50 stp sam roll putting your ws return at 231, you'd need 68 gear stp with a 50 stp sam roll to 3hit.. and if you assume a worse sam roll it gets a lot harder)

fomalhaut is comparatively easy at 169, same example gets 270 back from ws and needs 27 gear stp(really 37, but fom itself has 10).. meaning tons of overflow tp when using a 3hit with sam roll and ability to compensate for no recycle procs
having such a low stp requirement also allows you to make up the aftermath stats via gear swaps

has a proper comparison been done using all the current information available to us? not saying fomalhaut is better, but there's an awful lot in it's favor that seems to have been overlooked just by virtue of gastraphetes having the trueflight boost..
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-15 10:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Is gastraphetes significantly better for trueflight than fomalhaut? Looking at the new delay models the lower delay seems to cost it significantly. The tp bonus is not far behind the 30% boost unless saving 2250+ tp to waste part of it. Numbers assume moonshade.

1000 tp - 28.6% boost from tp bonus
1500 tp - 24.7% boost from tp bonus
2000 tp - 21.8% boost from tp bonus

dmg:321 on gastra/quelling vs dmg:444 on fomalhaut/devastating makes up a pretty big portion of white damage

with just snapshot the delay difference is 2.88 sec on gastra vs 3.3 on fomalhaut, with rapid shot and velocity the difference shrinks even further(and might even be effectively identical due to packet delay)

furthermore, at 154 base tp it's difficult to 3hit a gastraphetes(seeing no store tp in that ws set, so all you get is a 50 stp sam roll putting your ws return at 231, you'd need 68 gear stp with a 50 stp sam roll to 3hit.. and if you assume a worse sam roll it gets a lot harder)

fomalhaut is comparatively easy at 169, same example gets 270 back from ws and needs 27 gear stp(really 37, but fom itself has 10).. meaning tons of overflow tp when using a 3hit with sam roll and ability to compensate for no recycle procs
having such a low stp requirement also allows you to make up the aftermath stats via gear swaps

has a proper comparison been done using all the current information available to us? not saying fomalhaut is better, but there's an awful lot in it's favor that seems to have been overlooked just by virtue of gastraphetes having the trueflight boost..

The DPS spreadsheets will give you an okay idea at this point if you adjust the reload delay accordingly for just shooting/spamming Trueflight. You would need to be using sensible buffs though. Also there are times where you will be saving TP waiting for skillchains. This will cut into Fomalhaut performance more than Gastraphetes. I don't know what will perform better, but I do know the recent insight into ranged delay will cut into perceived Gastra numbers more than Fomalhaut.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-15 11:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The spreadsheet for RNG is missing a colossal amount of information and does a terrible job modeling situations like SCing(where trueflight is common). Guess I don't know what I was expecting, amount of people who'd calculate it by hand is pretty limited.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-02-15 11:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah spreadsheets are only good for a raw DPS estimate. Sometimes this is enough information to be conclusive (i.e. which gear is better for my WS in this situation), but for RMEA or job comparisons they aren't very good. What we really need is some kind of simulation framework but I don't think anybody wants to invest the time/energy into doing that.
By clearlyamule 2017-02-15 11:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Should note that testing is currently ongoing and some recent stuff I'm pretty sure isn't in there heck briefly going thru it is it even concluded? Looks like still some argument over the math. Can always make suggestions if you see something missing as Verda does add stuff to it in response

Also another thing to consider with gast is you can actually gear in more rapid show. Haven't looked into all builds but I did draw up one with gast that allows you to cap snapshot and give at least 100 rapid shot while still using af3 body.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-15 13:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The testing is ongoing as far as effective results of rapid shot. Snap and global delay seem relatively understood, which is why the numbers I post were only looking at snap. Rapid and velocity can do nothing but help fomalhaut in this case.
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 130 131 132