Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Alternator
Alternator
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 16 17 18
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-08 06:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't necessarily think people will be clamouring for PUPs, I will in part agree with Jkun. We're finally seeing content that doesn't require a stream of Temp items, and we have a weapon that is incredibly potent, and an auto that can seem to actually contribute now.

Has anyone managed to test how accurate the autos are against the nms? Jkun mentioned how good they seemed to be doing quite well against Fracture mobs, so I was wondering if this extended to some of the new nms.
 Sylph.Jkun
Server: Sylph
user: Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 06:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Balloon said: »
Has anyone managed to test how accurate the autos are against the nms? Jkun mentioned how good they seemed to be doing quite well against Fracture mobs, so I was wondering if this extended to some of the new nms.

I have no idea how the Twitherym NM works, or what gimmick it has, but I was late to the fight and only managed to grab this:

iirc this was with Ice Maker, Loudspeaker II (Forgot I), and 2 Ice Maneuvers, which is why I snapped it as I found it fairly impressive. I might take E100 to Abyssea later.
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-05-08 07:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

For ranged attacks, wouldn't you need to get +70dex/str at the same time thou?

Sylph.Jkun said: »
(Minikin Monstrosity + Purgatory but for some reason I was getting an extra +5? Same goes for the Master, who was butt naked.)

Purgatory is apparently 25 int not 20, fail on my part for using otherwiki. Thank you for testing all this stuff thou!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-08 08:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, actually. That might also be true for melee damage, which I have not tested.
 Sylph.Traxus
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-05-08 08:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you could do 50 dex atma + a 50 str atma + af3+2 gloves + 1x fire maneuver and 1x thunder maneuver (without af1 gloves). That should give you +70 each.
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 08:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Traxus said: »
Well you could do 50 dex atma + a 50 str atma + af3+2 gloves + 1x fire maneuver and 1x thunder maneuver (without af1 gloves). That should give you +70 each.

This would work with Razed + Roaring, but Attack damage fluctuates too much, even on Wild Rabbits. Ranged on the other hand is always so beautifully consistent with everything I fight. I am sure that if they raised the Automaton's R.Att, then their regular Attack must also have been pushed up a notch.

Or eight.

It's noticeable through eyeballing, but by how much is still a mystery. More testing!

I will use the regular Animator in Delve next time to compare (sorry LS!)

Purgatory is apparently 25 int not 20, fail on my part for using otherwiki. Thank you for testing all this stuff thou!

Double fail for me. I thought I had broken the game for a second.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-08 09:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It would, but it would be hard to maintain. It might not actually matter whether or not they have the same base damage, depending on the Ratio range. Could be worth trying anyway.

Also, if I added everything up right then Stormwaker should be able to get +154 MAB and 196 INT (3x Ice Maneuver w/AF1 hands, Ice Maker, Loudspeaker, Loudspeaker II, AF2+2 feet, Alternator).
By Theytak 2013-05-08 15:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Which also means about Dex +130 from Razed Ruins, and since Auto Ranged attacks damage are affected by Dexterity I'm curious as to high they can go.

As high as a kite.

Razed Ruin (+30%, DEX+50) Gnarled Horn (+20%) + Alternator (+70 DEX) + Dynamo + (+9%, +24 DEX with Puppetry Dastanas +1) + Cirque Guanti +2 (+13 DEX)

You're looking at +59% Crit Hit Rate (iirc Atmas cap at 50%) and +157 DEX with Alternator.

ofc it only really adds DEX so, yeah, haha.

You know automaton ranged attacks can't critical, right? O.o

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
If you want to find out whether or not the new Animator has attack on it, I'd recommend going to a Heroes Abyssea zone and leveling the monster population up to EM/T with single target kills. Then parse your auto meleeing (and ranged attacking) EM monsters with Alternator on (200 melee and ~50 ranged should be enough - may have to control for ranged distance if they're penalized?).

Then Alternator swap to Animator and go put on +70 STR in Atma (and no Attack/RAtk). Parse again the same way against EM monsters.

If you look at the bgwiki page on crit rate, the bottom of it tells you how to test for that.
Puppets used to have a ranged distance penalty (their sweet spot was inside melee range), but iirc, SE removed it at somepoint.

Anyway, did the sharpshot fSTR mystery ever get solved, byrth? I sort of got distracted shortly after I found that thread, and lost my link to it. If not, then wouldn't that variable come into play in regards to the accuracy of +atk testing? Even with that massive amount of str, but considering how much attack you would need to allow the puppet to at least contribute some damage relative to those massive damage weapons, I'm honestly wondering if rather than a strait up attack boost (aside from the atk from str), if the alternator doesn't just have a raw +damage for the automaton.

Though, really, that wouldn't be too hard to test, since you can just take sharpshot out, shoot bunnies with capped fSTR (remember to cast choke first), and see if the damage lines up with what we would expect from the dex alone, or if it's higher than it should be.
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 18:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Theytak said: »
Puppets used to have a ranged distance penalty (their sweet spot was inside melee range), but iirc, SE removed it at somepoint.

Source plox.

Removed as in there is no sweet spot, or every spot is a sweet spot? WS damage doesn't seem to change no matter where he's standing, so I am starting to believe the latter holds true.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-05-08 18:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Theytak said: »

Source plox.

Removed as in there is no sweet spot, or every spot is a sweet spot? WS damage doesn't seem to change no matter where he's standing, so I am starting to believe the latter holds true.
It was from the huge Pupdate back in 2011. The same one that established a minimum damage for Magic Mortar rather than the old 0 value when at 100% HP. Oh and of course the new magic casting AI we've all come to know and love.

Quote:
Sharpshot Z-500 adjustments:

Distance modifications for ranged attacks have been abolished.
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 18:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Sharpshot Z-500 adjustments:

Distance modifications for ranged attacks have been abolished.

(*  ̄▽ ̄)/ Oh yeah.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-08 18:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

It would, but it would be hard to maintain. It might not actually matter whether or not they have the same base damage, depending on the Ratio range. Could be worth trying anyway.

Also, if I added everything up right then Stormwaker should be able to get +154 MAB and 196 INT (3x Ice Maneuver w/AF1 hands, Ice Maker, Loudspeaker, Loudspeaker II, AF2+2 feet, Alternator).

Optic Fiber!
[+]
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 20:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Optic Fiber!

Since it's a percentage for Loudspeakers only, and assuming you are using 3 Ice Maneuvers for Ice Maker (and in turn, both Loudspeakers) you are looking at an extra 4.5 MAB from just having OF equipped, making Byrth's calculation 159~ MAB!

And also INT+8 from Refraction Cape, pushing it up to +204 INT

Believe it or not there are still some PUP who never use/don't even own Optic Fiber. Wut wut.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-05-08 20:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Optic Fiber!

Since it's a percentage for Loudspeakers only, and assuming you are using 3 Ice Maneuvers for Ice Maker (and in turn, both Loudspeakers) you are looking at an extra 4.5 MAB from just having OF equipped, making Byrth's calculation 159~ MAB!

Believe it or not there are still some PUP who never use/don't even own Optic Fiber. Wut wut.
You just made me have a sad. :<
[+]
 Leviathan.Suljin
Server: Leviathan
user: Suljin175
By Leviathan.Suljin 2013-05-08 20:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've met pups that make it up to 80+ via abyssea and don't even know what attachments are. They seriously thought the auto didn't equip things and kept asking why their auto hadn't learned stoneskin yet . . .

(This is why we can't have nice things!)
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-05-08 21:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Suljin said: »
I've met pups that make it up to 80+ via abyssea and don't even know what attachments are. They seriously thought the auto didn't equip things and kept asking why their auto hadn't learned stoneskin yet . . .

Surprising as it may be I've had worse... there was one who didn't know how to use maneuvers on my server. Not joking, didn't even equip an animator.

Sometimes, sometimes I just want to whack people over the head.
[+]
 Shiva.Jirachi
user: jirachi
By Shiva.Jirachi 2013-05-08 21:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

Surprising as it may be I've had worse... there was one who didn't know how to use maneuvers on my server. Not joking, didn't even equip an animator.

Sometimes, sometimes I just want to whack people over the head.
Omg i think i know who your talking about...Awfulkorn right? omg that guy dosnt know how to equip puppet abilities he dosnt cast Utsusemi on Ninja dosnt Dual Wield on Ninja. dosnt use capes, belts earrings, rings, ammo items... (gives our linkshell a bad name because they base us all after the weakest link...But for some reason we dont remove him >.>)

Welcome to the world of being born and raised in abyssea...
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-08 21:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's keep this focused on Alternator and not character naming terrible PUPs. We all know they exist and it's best just to ignore them. :P

Luckily, Alternator seems to be unaffected by last night's patch, Spiritreaver is still showing signs of MAB+40, and there are still +70 to all stats.

I will take it back into Delve later for a test with Sharpshot. Hopefully it's all working as intended.
 Sylph.Knala
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-08 21:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea doesnt make people HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, lazy/uninformed/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people make people HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ffs quit beating the "omgabyssea" horse.
[+]
 Leviathan.Suljin
Server: Leviathan
user: Suljin175
By Leviathan.Suljin 2013-05-09 00:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What did the patch "fix" anyone know?
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-09 01:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What did the patch "fix" anyone know?

Hardly call it fixing, just adjusting Delve, which is where Alternator came from. Luckily, none of the new equipment was affected.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/38183/dev-delve-updates-holding-times-bosses
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-09 06:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there anyway to force Knockout? Inhibitor + Stringing makes him use it, and with alternator it's a decently powerful weapon skill. Magic Mortar kinda sucks.

I know you can force it with a wind maneuver, but more often than not I will have a light up too.
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-09 07:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there anyway to force Knockout? Inhibitor + Stringing makes him use it, and with alternator it's a decently powerful weapon skill. Magic Mortar kinda sucks.

Wind, but since it conflicts with Light (and Thunder iirc) it's hard to pull off on frames such as Soulsoother. If you have Wind and Light up, your Automaton will use Magic Mortar.

Edit: Uh, nice ninja edit on your part! You kind of answered your own question though. :P
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-09 07:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish they added a new Magic WS when they added the melee and ranged one. Magic Mortar was pretty awesome at one point, but even then I still preferred the add: Eva down.
 Siren.Zekyr
Server: Siren
user: alekandr
By Siren.Zekyr 2013-05-09 10:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Any news on Overload suppression? Any means to test, I know its randomly based, but Master stats vs Automaton stats were always referenced in the calculations?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-09 10:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Where was the actual testing for that Overload stuff?
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-09 10:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Zekyr said: »
Any news on Overload suppression? Any means to test, I know its randomly based, but Master stats vs Automaton stats were always referenced in the calculations?

Could try with Atmas, but since the Automaton gets +70 to every stat outside of Abyssea too then it's natural that it should overload quicker. Good PUPs won't though, and bad PUPs should be using the correct attachments + gear for every maneuver.

Even without KKK it's dead easy to avoid Overloading.
 Siren.Zekyr
Server: Siren
user: alekandr
By Siren.Zekyr 2013-05-09 10:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Zekyr said: »

Could try with Atmas, but since the Automaton gets +70 to every stat outside of Abyssea too then it's natural that it should overload quicker. Good PUPs won't though, and bad PUPs should be using the correct attachments + gear for every maneuver.

Even without KKK it's dead easy to avoid Overloading.

Indeed, that's the general census on the matter, however if we know that overloading and/or suppression is harder, it allows stacking for nuking.

It's not a matter of making it easier, its about knowing how far you can stack a single element to aid loudspeaker etc etc! If you know what I mean
 Sylph.Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2013-05-09 11:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Spiritreaver

• Active → Cooldown → Wait 5 mins
    Automaton INT: 94
    Master INT: 73
    Animator (Level 1): Ice Maneuver x 6 → Overload

• Active → Cooldown → Wait 5 mins
    Automaton INT: 94 +70
    Master INT: 73
    Alternator: Ice Maneuver x 4 → Overload

ofc, Overload can happen at random after you hit the threshold, but obviously, the +70 INT causes it to happen sooner with Alternator.

As for stacking, if you use Condenser then a Water Maneuver before stacking, you can easily tell if you are about to overload/when to use Cooldown.

As for nuking (and only nuking), Spiritreaver will always Nuke → Aspir II → Nuke. What I do is just DAD after each nuke and with Condenser start building up Ice Maneuvers again, as a fresh Automaton guarantees a nuke upon deploying, if this helps.

Or if I am doing it wrong feel free to stab me, idc.
 Sylph.Traxus
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-05-09 16:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like everyone uses ice maker for nuking, now I haven't nuked much with pup, but I wonder if constantly losing/redoing maneuvers for ice maker is even worth it if you're going for max damage over time?

It takes a minimum of 30 seconds to put up 3 ice maneuvers each time, 40 seconds if you're putting up a water first for condenser. Might it not be better to replace ice maker with mana booster, and just ADD nuke non stop?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 16 17 18