Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43 ... 262 263 264
 Shiva.Ladyofhonor
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Ladyofhonor 2014-10-09 15:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

And adding onto the incursion speak, have you done that event? Knockback + bind SPAM in there. You will be bound out of range many times every single run. So maybe shoot while you're locked out, it's at least something.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-10-09 17:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
Asura.Karbuncle said: »
Davorin said: »
I don't understand why anyone would make a Last Stand set for THF

For practical purposes its pretty much pointless, but for this foreign alien concept called "Fun", its actually quite tops. Subjectively.

must be fun carrying all those junks with limited inventory space just for the purpose of I can hit a few K damage on a low level ***that no one really care even if your melee SMN can hit a few K. in the old days thf carried a range set for drain bolts only for soloing NMs, but the game completely changed with no new timed NM or the need to drain hp with the introduction of trust. I don't know why thf still carrying a range set.

Acid bolts are still actually quite useful, and they've added new ones with more R.acc so that'll help... It has a purpose in a few events, more than people realize anyway. Any event you bring a THF too, Acid Bolts could be useful.

Just because people stopped using them doesn't mean they stopped being useful, its just people got complacent over time and it was also largely due to items like Empyrean Boomerang replacing X-Bow for most THFs, and it just became an "eh, why bother" type deal. But as long as you're not having any other form of consistent DEF down applied that doesn't stack with Acid Bolts... Acid Bolts can be useful.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-09 22:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »

For practical purposes its pretty much pointless, but for this foreign alien concept called "Fun", its actually quite tops. Subjectively.

must be fun carrying all those junks with limited inventory space just for the purpose of I can hit a few K damage on a low level ***that no one really care even if your melee SMN can hit a few K. in the old days thf carried a range set for drain bolts only for soloing NMs, but the game completely changed with no new timed NM or the need to drain hp with the introduction of trust. I don't know why thf still carrying a range set.

Acid bolts in Incursion for Defence -10% if you don't think -10% defence on a target is good then you are dead to me.

Acid bolts in Incursion for Defence -10% if you don't think -10% defence on a target is good then you are dead to me.

-12.5%

as I said earlier in post it's been a while since I took thief seriously and I remember people saying it was 10% until I've tested it I assume 10%, 12.5% is even better and just supports what I said further!
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-09 22:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ladyofhonor said: »
And adding onto the incursion speak, have you done that event? Knockback + bind SPAM in there. You will be bound out of range many times every single run. So maybe shoot while you're locked out, it's at least something.

get a decent Stunner or don't bother.

Saying "this aint good cos you will out of range" is *** when every move is stunable or conal.

Snapshot set!
Position better!
Do at start so mob is less likely to spam AoE ***if your stunners aint no good!
Drop the theif for a 2nd stunner if it helps.

WHy even assume people will miss stuns everytime!

Lets assume whm fails to cure while we're at it and just quit the game.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-10-09 22:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In 2014 we're immune to bind, if you aren't, I'm sorry.
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-10-10 00:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Snapshot set!
Position better!

Cutting out the filler, this is good advice, when it comes to throwing down an Acid bolt on THF, I'd actually recommend making 2 Gear-sets (Like, either windower or official), with the first I can't explain exactly the code you'll need, but for the official macro you'll want it to look something like this

/equipset 1(Snapshot)
/ra <t>
/wait 1
/equipset 2(R.acc)

A basic "precast" if you will. Another valuable piece of the Delve Bee pants, at the very last for their snapshot.
 Shiva.Ladyofhonor
By Shiva.Ladyofhonor 2014-10-10 00:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »

Damn, I still have my 2012 coding in, how do I upgrade to be unbindable?
 Shiva.Ladyofhonor
By Shiva.Ladyofhonor 2014-10-10 00:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying "this aint good cos you will out of range" is *** when every move is stunable or conal.

Snapshot set!
Position better!

...right. Because anytime you want to jump in incursion you're able to find the perfect group of people willing to play the perfect job setup you need even though the content is pretty damn lax about bringing more people and certain combinations and just jumping in and out at will.

I don't know about your server, but finding a stunner isn't an easy thing on mine. And I can't imagine it's that thrilling of a job either to spam 5-15min fights stunning every few seconds on...

All I was offering was some additional potential utility to using an xbow.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-10-10 04:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »

Aparently youre immune to shame also.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-10-10 06:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what shame is. Bind is a non issue now. If your good morals helps you feel pure, good for you. Likely though, the majority of the player base walks through bind jas.
By Pantafernando 2014-10-10 06:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't know what shame is.

End of discussion.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-10 07:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Snapshot set!
Position better!

...right. Because anytime you want to jump in incursion you're able to find the perfect group of people willing to play the perfect job setup you need even though the content is pretty damn lax about bringing more people and certain combinations and just jumping in and out at will.

I don't know about your server, but finding a stunner isn't an easy thing on mine. And I can't imagine it's that thrilling of a job either to spam 5-15min fights stunning every few seconds on...

Snapshot set!
Position better!

No it sucks but you can technically stun everything. Assuming a good thief and not assuming a good sch is who the *** cares about thf dps.

You can bot stun if uou suck which i don't support however it is entire doable. Mob uses move... hit macro.. sorry if reacting within 2 seconds is asking alot.. people who can't should not be allowed to drive either but they manage that so there is no excuse.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-10-10 07:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

bumping since none answered U_U mandau aftermath is broken?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-10-10 09:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
people who can't should not be allowed to drive either but they manage that so there is no excuse.

This is when you should realize this game has too much an impact on your thinking: when you equate reacting to an in-game action to a person's ability to be able to drive properly. Man, you sound silly when you make these kind of hyperboles. I'm assuming it was a hyperbole, because it was so ridiculously unrelated, but probably sounded reasonable in your head.

And yes, shame tactics don't work anymore. We play for convenience now. Although, a simple BLU could literally hit a macro in the same amount of time you are afflicted with bind and erase it away, the debuff is so minimal, it Hardly affects your dps. Using an xbox for moments when you are bound takes the same amount of time as getting erased by a good cognizant BLU.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-10 14:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth remembering that this is a thread where people can explore what the job is capable of without having to resort to cheating.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-10 14:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth remembering that it's laughable to attempt to shame another player because their cheating is worse than your cheating

Cheating cheaters cheating cheating cheaters cheating
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-10 14:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not trying to shame anyone, I'm just saying "try cheating" is not really advice. I could give a ***who here cheats and who doesn't.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-10 15:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's acceptable advice when suggesting a lua file

If you don't like it, offer alternatives and move on. Don't pretend it's invalid because it falls outside of your scope of acceptable cheating
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-10 15:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, when people are asking for a lua, but that has nothing to do with this conversation. Let me help you get back on track: Ladyofhonor mentioned how much Bind sucks in Incursion, Valli implied that using 3rd party programs to negate Bind is the way to go. Then there was a small back and forth along the lines of some people being cool with using cheats and others being against it.

I know it's all on this very page, but if you're having a hard time with it, I can quote it all for you, or even make you a little comic strip.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-10-10 15:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaparu said:
Worth remembering that it's laughable to attempt to shame another player because their cheating is worse than your cheating

Not that you personally are necessarily doing this, but I think what he means to say is that shaming someone because they aren't using a tool that is pretty far into the gameshark spectrum of tools is certainly at least as bad as shaming people that use them. Maybe Valli didn't mean it that way either, but it certainly came off like that.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-10 15:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose I got sorta off-track myself, but the point is that this is a thread people are checking for tips and advice on how to play the job. If someone asks "what's a good way to deal with X", giving up some Game Genie codes isn't really helping, particularly if they, or someone else who's just reading, are not looking to use cheats. If someone asks "what are some good exploits?", then yeah, go nuts.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-10 23:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

And my point remains: both suggestions are valid. You not liking one of them is irrelevant. Cupper is a helpful answer to bind issues in the same way that Gearswap is a helpful answer to general efficiency issues. Are they the answers for everyone? Of course not. And for people who don't fancy them solutions, I'm sure alternatives are appreciated. But again, that doesn't invalidate them.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-10-11 00:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Cupper is a helpful answer to bind issues in the same way that Gearswap is a helpful answer to general efficiency issues.

Okay, i promise not to drag this out since I can see you feel strongly about your opinion on the matter, and it really is just a semantics debate.

Bind isn't an "Issue" like crappy efficiency, its a game mechanic and is designed to make you stand still. Thats a huge difference from Gearswap, since sh*tty efficiency issues with gear swapping aren't a purposeful game mechanic and more of a limitation SE doesn't bother to address. So, "Break the ToS and cheat to avoid annoying mechanics"... idk, do whatever you like I just consider it pretty bad advice to give someone. I know we're in an age of XI where everyone and their mom has a pocket bot and neo-clipper tools on standby... Its just getting to the point that not having these tools is being shamed more than having them.

Anywho...

I Just thought the dude meant GEO bubbles that lower enemy Macc/raise player M.eva making secondary effects almost always miss, which essentially renders you immune to most additional effects... Which is how some folks deal with annoying effects when stun isn't always 100% possible. At least it was theorized and tested at some point not sure how popular it is.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-11 00:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting stuns or geo-bubbles are a great way to deal with those irritating added effects, especially from the NMs (which dish out crap like Amnesia or Curse/Paralyze). I've only had the opportunity of going THF once, and it was just a big fat king croc only run, and I made the mistake of subbing NIN cuz I figured it might protect against his aoe (it doesn't).

If I can find a lax/crappy group, I'd like to try /RUN and see how well I can resist the statuses. I have gone as RUN main and never had to worry about certain statuses, like Amnesia, if that counts for anything.
[+]
By Acacia 2014-10-13 13:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any better new equipment for the QQ solo TP set in the main guide? I'm guessing maybe Shetal Stone for one?

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread yet.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-10-13 13:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't defend the bind/Cupper debate, I was just saying that shaming a player who uses it doesn't really seem to so anything anymore. Cheating vs cheating... Salvage Dupe vs running fast...walking through binds vs no ja delay during a ballista match...moving while dead, all of this has an impact on the video game. Some people frown upon it, some people love it, others don't care either way.

I'm in the middle. I don't use scripts/luas etc, mainly because I'm lazy. but I'm not the kind who needs it. Running fast, sure, that saves me a ton of time when im doing my salvage runs instead of 30!min, 15-20min, since i play so little.

The fact that the tools are so prevalent now are reasons why I'd never engage in PvP at this stage in the game, unless everyone agreed not to use them. Otherwise, I see the tool as a tool. Its not needed by me, is not recommended or frowned upon, but its justa tool.

Like I said with Bind above, invite a BLU. problem solved.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-13 15:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Acacia said: »
Is there any better new equipment for the QQ solo TP set in the main guide? I'm guessing maybe Shetal Stone for one?

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread yet.
Not sure how up-to-date the gear in the main guide is, so you may have to play around with a DPS spreadsheet. Not sure if the 1% of extra Dual Wield would beat out the +5 Store TP from Patentia Sash, though I'd wager that depends on how much DW you're currently up to.

Getting a Canny Cape with amazing augments (notably, Dual Wield and Crit. Damage) would outperform any other cape, I'm sure. I personally think the Rancor Collar would be much better to have than a Rancor Mantle if you can get good augments.

edit: Have the DPS spreadsheets been updated to include Job Points? I haven't checked them in months.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-10-13 20:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth noting that even "solo" THF, you can cap delay reduction with Trusts these days - in which case you definitely don't want to over-gear for DW and hurt your TP/hit (as well as give up other potentially excellent pieces like, say, Windbuffet+1 or DA earrings). Can cap magical haste with Koru-Moru's Haste II + 2x Trust BRD marches. Pair that with capped equipment haste and EITHER (a) /DNC Haste Samba or (b) 11% DW from gear (in addition to +25 from THF's DW trait) to reach the 80% total delay reduction cap.

With that being said, assuming you don't have capped delay reduction (for instance, getting no buffs like solo in a place where you can't use Trusts such as Dyna/Salvage):

Acacia said: »

Like Jeanpaul said, Canny Cape with DW augments (especially paired with Crit Damage) would indeed go in that set. IIRC, it can get DW2%~5%.

If you don't have that, Vellaunus' Mantle +1 (DW+2% Atk+25, along with "bonus" AGI+5 and Subtle Blow+6) is also great when you're not delay capped.

Quiahuiz Trousers with STR augment are pretty great too, IIRC they beat even well augmented Iuitl+1 (and they're certainly easier to get than playing the random number generator game with Skirmish gear stones to get that lucky Crit+2 augment).

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Not sure how up-to-date the gear in the main guide is, so you may have to play around with a DPS spreadsheet. Not sure if the 1% of extra Dual Wield would beat out the +5 Store TP from Patentia Sash, though I'd wager that depends on how much DW you're currently up to.

Shetal will have a slight advantage over Patentia.

Patentia is obviously primarily useful to THF for the DW, but honestly the Atk+8 (assuming you aren't attack capped against your target) may be a more helpful additional stat than the Store TP. Store TP is obviously MUCH more meaningful for a 2h DD or Ranger trying to maintain a 4 or 5 hit build through Store TP - not a THF turning something like a 17-hit into a 16. I don't think it's worth paying much attention to sTP on THF other than as a pure bonus stat or tiebreaker between otherwise equal options.

Remember that even if you do manage to shave one hit off whatever relatively high x-hit you were at, AND even assuming you instantly WS any time you were above 1000tp without getting excess attack rounds in (I don't know about you, but I'm not quite that focused when farming Salvage/Dyna), you'd waste the x-hit reduction anyway whenever the last round to 1000+ TP had an OAT/DA/TA/QA proc bringing you a hit or more over 1000 TP (i.e., frequently).
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-13 21:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm yeah, that's a good point. I never got a Patentia Sash cuz I felt they were overpriced. I build TP way too fast anyway, at least for using with SA/TA. I kinda feel like they should reduce the recast on those, or at least make them stay on until you properly use them (ie: SA not wearing if you attack when you're not behind the enemy).
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-10-13 22:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I Just thought the dude meant GEO bubbles that lower enemy Macc/raise player M.eva making secondary effects almost always miss, which essentially renders you immune to most additional effects... Which is how some folks deal with annoying effects when stun isn't always 100% possible. At least it was theorized and tested at some point not sure how popular it is.
Yeah that's exactly what I thought he meant, we use this strategy because of lack of stunners or wanting to shout for years to pick up a fail stunner. I think it starts falling off around 128 but you can easily resist almost every debuff using Vex/Attune until then. The ones that do get through use a Remedy/Panacea, really bind is a non issue if you properly setup for it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43 ... 262 263 264