i cannot stay long on ffxi
 Asura.Slugman
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sluggo
By Asura.Slugman 2013-01-08 12:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
typically blocked ports would prevent connection at all, but as we (or at least I) don't know how SE has their servers handling connections, it could be some sort of check or something that it's timing out.

TBH it looked like from the picture that he lost his connection entirely, which would mean (to me) that either his nic sucks, or his router does.

I pretty much avoid all dlink and belkin products personally, always been junk imo.

To expound on that the ports used to update ff may not be the same to actually make the connection to play the game, so you are kinda comparing apples and oranges. And +1 on the dlink and belkin routers. Try to stick to linksys - netgear is ok. If you are feeling froggy and have a shitton of money to spend get cisco, juniper, or arista.

Also, while gaming routers generally provide better performance, they don't provide much in the way of enhancing your gaming experience as most home routers are capable of handling all the bandwidth a modem can push/pull from it; at the present time anyway. Also, 802.11n is still going through the IEEE works (last I checked). I recommend 802.11a or g@5ghz.
 Bahamut.Genevie
Server: Bahamut
user: Geneviee
By Bahamut.Genevie 2013-01-08 12:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
Carbuncle.Luthian said: »
I had the same problem. All I had to do was make an exception on the router for when POL tried to access the internet. It would open the gateway for FFXI and POL and would close once POL closed. The official site shows the ports that need to be unlocked and how to do it properly.
Where on the site can i find this information about ports.
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=11865&id=447&la=1&ret=faq&pv=10&page=2&c=5&sc=0&so=0

you know, there's this thing, they call it google

you should really try to use it sometime.
If I had a pound for every time I had to tell someone to use google to find out information I wouldn't have to work anymore.
 Fenrir.Surgator
Server: Fenrir
user: blade4
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-08 12:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and by the ways if it work to update my ffxi , i will just have to let that thing like that for the port and i will be able to play like i want?
By Jetackuu 2013-01-08 13:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

you can always set it back to factory defaults, changing the IP of the router won't change any functionality, it would just mean to access it's webpage to change settings, it would change.

if you change it's ssid, or the security type/password, that would be a noticeable change.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-08 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Some info:

To find the IP address of your router, go to the command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and type "ipconfig" - your router will be your default gateway.

For troubleshooting, if you're using wireless, try a wired connection to test if possible... various things can cause interference, and some routers perform poorly with multiple wireless clients (phones and tablets, etc.) or when there are lots of neighboring access points. Also try to bypass the router when available (I believe you said you tried this already, kinda typing this up while at work).

A good way to troubleshoot connection losses in games (or anything else streaming) is to ping something constantly while the game is running, and then check to see if your pings start to fail when you R0 in game (or otherwise disconnect). From the command prompt,
Code
ping google.com -t

and let it run. Check back when you R0 or disconnect.

If you have dropped packets (i.e., Request timed out.), there's a network issue. If you're at this point, do the same test except ping your modem (or router if you haven't bypassed it):
Code
ping 192.168.0.1 -t

(replace 192.168.0.1 with whatever your default gateway is in ipconfig). When you get disconnected, if you have packet loss going to your local router or modem, you may have a bad device (or network cable, I've seen some damaged cables before / iffy homemade ones, etc).

If you have packet loss to the internet but not to your local modem / router, then you have an issue with your internet connection - time to call the ISP and hope to get a tech that knows what they're doing.

It's also worth checking the firmware version of your router, and checking to see if any updated firmwares are available... I have seen updating firmware fix connection issues for people before.

Hope this helps... if you run into any issues or get lost (I know I'm long-winded), shoot me a PM.
[+]
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-01-08 15:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tragedie said: »
Some info:

To find the IP address of your router, go to the command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and type "ipconfig" - your router will be your default gateway.

For troubleshooting, if you're using wireless, try a wired connection to test if possible... various things can cause interference, and some routers perform poorly with multiple wireless clients (phones and tablets, etc.) or when there are lots of neighboring access points. Also try to bypass the router when available (I believe you said you tried this already, kinda typing this up while at work).

A good way to troubleshoot connection losses in games (or anything else streaming) is to ping something constantly while the game is running, and then check to see if your pings start to fail when you R0 in game (or otherwise disconnect). From the command prompt,
Code
ping google.com -t

and let it run. Check back when you R0 or disconnect.

If you have dropped packets (i.e., Request timed out.), there's a network issue. If you're at this point, do the same test except ping your modem (or router if you haven't bypassed it):
Code
ping 192.168.0.1 -t

(replace 192.168.0.1 with whatever your default gateway is in ipconfig). When you get disconnected, if you have packet loss going to your local router or modem, you may have a bad device (or network cable, I've seen some damaged cables before / iffy homemade ones, etc).

If you have packet loss to the internet but not to your local modem / router, then you have an issue with your internet connection - time to call the ISP and hope to get a tech that knows what they're doing.

It's also worth checking the firmware version of your router, and checking to see if any updated firmwares are available... I have seen updating firmware fix connection issues for people before.

Hope this helps... if you run into any issues or get lost (I know I'm long-winded), shoot me a PM.

Also ping 127.0.0.1 to test your nic.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-08 18:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slugman said: »
typically blocked ports would prevent connection at all, but as we (or at least I) don't know how SE has their servers handling connections, it could be some sort of check or something that it's timing out.

TBH it looked like from the picture that he lost his connection entirely, which would mean (to me) that either his nic sucks, or his router does.

I pretty much avoid all dlink and belkin products personally, always been junk imo.

To expound on that the ports used to update ff may not be the same to actually make the connection to play the game, so you are kinda comparing apples and oranges. And +1 on the dlink and belkin routers. Try to stick to linksys - netgear is ok. If you are feeling froggy and have a shitton of money to spend get cisco, juniper, or arista.

Also, while gaming routers generally provide better performance, they don't provide much in the way of enhancing your gaming experience as most home routers are capable of handling all the bandwidth a modem can push/pull from it; at the present time anyway. Also, 802.11n is still going through the IEEE works (last I checked). I recommend 802.11a or g@5ghz.

how exactly am I comparing apples and oranges?

I don't remember comparing anything at all to be frank.

I implied that they may not use the same ports, but I don't believe they separate them.

I wouldn't recommend A for most people, for starters because not all equipment will support it.

802.11G runs at the 2.4ghz band by the way.

last time I set my dualband router up, I had my 5ghz band doing N, and my 2.4 doing G, I enabled them separate so I could support a few devices that didn't have N capability, but could still gain the benefit of N on the devices that did. (I do some file sharing in my own network, streaming etc).

I kind of was avoiding the wireless standard, as he shouldn't need to change that, unless he's having interference issues.

Bahamut.Genevie said: »
I had the same problem. All I had to do was make an exception on the router for when POL tried to access the internet. It would open the gateway for FFXI and POL and would close once POL closed. The official site shows the ports that need to be unlocked and how to do it properly.
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=11865&id=447&la=1&ret=faq&pv=10&page=2&c=5&sc=0&so=0

If I had a pound for every time I had to tell someone to use google to find out information I wouldn't have to work anymore.
if you did, I'd say talk to Kawar more, as he's google illiterate.

Fenrir.Surgator said: »
Oh and by the ways if it work to update my ffxi , i will just have to let that thing like that for the port and i will be able to play like i want?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, could you try to be more clear.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-01-08 19:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok just by looking at your image, it looks as if you are connecting wirelessly and not through the ethernet port (LAN). I would suggest try plugging a network cable into your router so you get a solid IP address.

If you are not network savvy, you might not realize you are connecting to a different Wifi than your own (check this as well). If there are unsecured networks around you, your wireless adapter might connect to these first.

Otherwise, there are alot of things to consider:
- Are other people streaming on the same network? I.E. Netflix,etc
- Firewall rules
- Bad NIC (or outdate firmware)
- Bad Router (or outdated firmware)
- Try disabling Anti-Viruses if you have them to see if this helps

My two cents...
 Siren.Aurou
Server: Siren
user: Aurou
By Siren.Aurou 2013-01-08 19:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I had FFXI issues awhile back where I was randomly DCing for no apparent reason. I loaded up Wireshark to watch what was happening as well as check my router logs... I was getting flooded with ACK and RST packets from SE's servers... after a week or two it cleared up on it's own. Something just wasn't right with my connection to the server.

Also. Make sure no one else is hogging the bandwidth- whether it be family streaming videos or playing games... or a neighbor hijacking some free internet. If you don't have your router locked down with at least a password, I'd suggest putting one on.
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-01-08 23:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

how exactly am I comparing apples and oranges?

I don't remember comparing anything at all to be frank.

I implied that they may not use the same ports, but I don't believe they separate them.

I wouldn't recommend A for most people, for starters because not all equipment will support it.

802.11G runs at the 2.4ghz band by the way.

last time I set my dualband router up, I had my 5ghz band doing N, and my 2.4 doing G, I enabled them separate so I could support a few devices that didn't have N capability, but could still gain the benefit of N on the devices that did. (I do some file sharing in my own network, streaming etc).

I kind of was avoiding the wireless standard, as he shouldn't need to change that, unless he's having interference issues.

Bahamut.Genevie said: »

if you did, I'd say talk to Kawar more, as he's google illiterate.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, could you try to be more clear.

I meant n, not g. I guess you really are as touchy as you seem, just ignore me from now on as I will you.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-08 23:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

you tell me I'm wrong (when I'm not) and then spout a combination of unlikely to be helpful and inaccurate information and call me touchy when I correct you,
yes because that makes sense.
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 09:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah sorry if i'm hard to read , the only place i write in english is in ffxi and since it has been 3 month i didn't play i'm kind of rusty in they ways to express myself the good ways. I'm french so for me it would have been easier to write in french haha!
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 09:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

ping 192.168.0.1 -t

This seem to be the problem i got hight number on time for that one when i try to update my ffxi. so i need a tech to help me out?

Ninja edit : Also , i put on my d-link that i need to change gateway but it doesn't seem to work to change gateways when i log to Ffxi. is it possible to change gateways when i log to it? (i enter my ip adress to the space where we can put website name then go to the avanced menu then to port forward . maybe that the number i put in that who don't work idk . I'm pretty sure i am near to solve the problem but i maybe make 1 little mistake that make it not able to work.)
 Carbuncle.Nuibear
Server: Carbuncle
user: Gnargnar
By Carbuncle.Nuibear 2013-01-09 10:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you not tried a direct connection from your NIC to the cable modem? It's very simple. You have two things to rule out. It's either your ISP, or your router.

If it's your router then I would suggest resetting it to factory defaults or updating the firmware. Either that or buy a new one. If it's wireless try changing the channel. If it's on channel 6 change it to channel 11. If it's channel 11, change it to channel 6; maybe both your neighbors are running a dozen routers on the same channel.

You need to know if it's your ISP so you can call them for assistance. Maybe you're not getting the optimal route to Japan or their network is screwed up. This is rare though. An ISP should never experience this or they won't be an ISP much longer.

You don't really need to set any gateways or anything. Just use DHCP.

It can't be a port error. It never is. If you can already connect to the game for even a second, then nothing is being blocked on their end. If Windows Firewall is enabled, try disabling it.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-09 10:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
ping 192.168.0.1 -t

This seem to be the problem i got hight number on time for that one when i try to update my ffxi. so i need a tech to help me out?

A high number is better than a dropped packet (the "Request timed out." message), but does indicate that either your router or your wireless network adapater is struggling to keep up with the network traffic (or sources of interference - other devices or radio noise). I know some USB wifi devices can be iffy.

Ninja edit : Also , i put on my d-link that i need to change gateway but it doesn't seem to work to change gateways when i log to Ffxi. is it possible to change gateways when i log to it? (i enter my ip adress to the space where we can put website name then go to the avanced menu then to port forward . maybe that the number i put in that who don't work idk . I'm pretty sure i am near to solve the problem but i maybe make 1 little mistake that make it not able to work.)

I'm a little lost following you on this. I don't think it's a port issue, and you shouldn't need to change your default gateway at all.

Okay, so I'm trying to follow how far you got. You mentioned the D-Link page... were you able to log into your router?

The next thing I would try is to check your router's firmware version and see if a newer version is available. You can download the latest version from D-Link's Support Site (just search for the model number of your router).

If you do have to update your firmware, try to do it from a wired connection if possible.

There are further troubleshooting steps to follow, but I would make sure a firmware update doesn't resolve your issue first. (Also, add a password to your wifi network to keep out the neighbors if you don't have a password already).

What model router do you have?

(Ninja edit: fixed a formatting issue and clarified something. I should use the "Preview" button more often before I post...)
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 10:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

it is always after the 1. Preparing update that il crash. i have a d-link 825 , but the big problem is i can only do wired connection on my computer because the router is to far aways! can i still update de firmware with it?
 Bahamut.Genevie
By Bahamut.Genevie 2013-01-09 11:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

To expound on that the ports used to update ff may not be the same to actually make the connection to play the game

I want to report this to the Campaign for plain English.
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 11:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

when i was playing the game like i says before i was disconnect every 10 minutes of playing that why i try to unistal everyting and now i'm back at square 1 to update everything since everything was uninstall. BUT whe i try to install it back it always crash when i enter the second phase of the download path!
By Jetackuu 2013-01-09 11:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

get a long network cable to try, or move your computer to troubleshoot.

can't really expect people to solve your problems if you're not willing to attempt the (reasonable) suggestions.

is your router set up to have security (a password) or not?

like when you connect a new device to it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-09 11:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

it is always after the 1. Preparing update that il crash. i have a d-link 825 , but the big problem is i can only do wired connection on my computer because the router is to far aways! can i still update de firmware with it?
You can update the firmware wirlessly (have done it before), it's just typically not recommended... if you have another computer that's closer and wired, I'd do that one if you can.

Under downloads, there is a fairly recent firmware update (7/12/2012) - if you got your router a long time ago, I'd definitely consider flashing it. (Link).

Unless you have some sort of really specific network configuration (kinda assuming you don't), I'd also reset the router to factory defaults. You would definitely want to have a wired connection to do this though, as it will wipe out the wifi configuration you have stored.

Most importantly though, if you can,
get a long network cable to try, or move your computer to troubleshoot.
You can save yourself a lot of time and headache just trying this out, even if your computer is basically set up on the floor in the kitchen, etc.

i try to unistal everyting and now i'm back at square 1 to update everything since everything was uninstall. BUT whe i try to install it back it always crash when i enter the second phase of the download path!

I didn't realize you were having this issue also... I thought you just had the drop every 10 minutes thing. PlayOnline is a little picky about how it's installed - if you install it and then try to copy a previous install over it without importing registry settings for example, you'd have issues.

How did you go about uninstalling and reinstalling FFXI?
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 11:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tragedie said: »
How did you go about uninstalling and reinstalling FFXI?

everytime they asked me to instal one thing i clicked on it and if there was something still there they unistall it then , i clicked on it againt to install it.... (kinda bad i know) . i will try to find a long cable to fix it to the computer soon but it will probabely not be today it seem because i got thing to do.... :( .

Quote:
Unless you have some sort of really specific network configuration (kinda assuming you don't), I'd also reset the router to factory defaults

how do i do that one? and if i do that one , does it will complicate the thing for the other computer?
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-09 12:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja Edit
Download the updated PlayOnline Viewer before doing all of the reinstallation steps I mentioned below, in case that's all you're missing. Will save some time. If it doesn't work, then do the fresh reinstall stuff.

The link:
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html

everytime they asked me to instal one thing i clicked on it and if there was something still there they unistall it then , i clicked on it againt to install it.... (kinda bad i know) .

Go to the Control Panel, and then to either Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/ Windows 7), and remove all of the Final Fantasy XI and PlayOnline stuff you see in there.

Then go to My Computer > C:\ > Program Files (or Program Files x86 if you see it there) and either:

- Delete the PlayOnline folder (you will lose any local macros and settings you've created in FFXI if you haven't backed them up on the login screen)

or

- Rename the PlayOnline folder (you can copy your macro sets over after you get FFXI working).

Then, restart your computer (mostly for S&G's, you probably don't need to). Reinstall FFXI and all of the expansions.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, don't launch FFXI yet; download the compatabile PlayOnline Viewer:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html
(Scroll to the bottom and hit Agree. Also, when being told to download anything from a forum, verify that the link actually takes you to the correct place; in this case, playonline.com)

After you download and run that file, try to run FFXI and see if you can get updated. Do this before messing with your router more.

Quote:
Unless you have some sort of really specific network configuration (kinda assuming you don't), I'd also reset the router to factory defaults

how do i do that one? and if i do that one , does it will complicate the thing for the other computer?

Uh, sort of. If the other computer is wireless (I'm assuming it is since you mentioned you don't have a wired connection to update your router), then you will have to put the new wireless SSID/Password that you will create in order for that computer to connect to the internet. If it's not wireless, you won't have an issue.

Do the FFXI reinstallation first though, and make sure that the whole thing isn't a software issue.
 Bahamut.Genevie
By Bahamut.Genevie 2013-01-09 12:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is this such hard work, lol >.<
[+]
By volkom 2013-01-09 12:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having random game crashes ~_~ iono why.

is there something weird with using a nvidia 550ti? like some weird driver issue?
and i do i have graphic stabilization on D:
 Fenrir.Surgator
By Fenrir.Surgator 2013-01-09 13:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay it seem to work pretty well now for the download..... i still don't understand why it didn't work with the old cd because i have always worked it with the old cd.... but anyways since it work with the other ways i guess i soudn't conplain haha!
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-01-09 15:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay it seem to work pretty well now for the download..... i still don't understand why it didn't work with the old cd because i have always worked it with the old cd.... but anyways since it work with the other ways i guess i soudn't conplain haha!

That's good at least... the next thing will be to see if you can stay connected longer than 10 minutes. If not, I'd hold off on further troubleshooting until you get a long network cable and test it - you'll be wasting a lot of time and frustration if you find out it's actually something with your ISP and not your router.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2013-01-09 15:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

love your windows wallpaper man
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-01-09 23:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

is there something weird with using a nvidia 550ti? like some weird driver issue?

Having this problem with 650ti as well.
By volkom 2013-01-09 23:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

Having this problem with 650ti as well.

I tried changing resolutions and different settings in the config.

So far. I had no problems with running default settings with that god awful can't alt tab fullscreen.

and now its working fine in this really small windowed mode ; ;
 Bismarck.Mimicricri
user: Ocjp
By Bismarck.Mimicricri 2013-01-09 23:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Salut , J'ai la solution a ton probleme. J'ai deja eu ce probleme

1 Ouvre Playonline ( Des le debut, avant de rentrer ton password )
2 Network Settings option en bas
3 Connection Check Enable ( je suis a enable , essaye disable si tu es enable )

Bonne Chance