Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-03-31 08:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Kyler said: »
Stupid question which i remember reading an official SE post about but can't seem to dig up.

Dual wielding 2 katanas(or any of the 2 same type for that matter) uses main hand skill only for determining acc/attack for both hands correct?

Ex: your offhand acc/attack won't be lower using a 215 or 188 skill or even a level 99 weapon vs a 242 as long as your main hand is 242?
No, the accuracy/attack will be determined individually for each weapon. This was part of their reason for making the skill something different from older gear that added the combat skill directly to our character when equipped.
What is your source? Last I heard, your combat skill came from the +skill on your main weapon only. I could have been totally duped though because I can't find confirmation for either atm.

Well, by using /checkparam <me>, naked with Kannakiri +2 on main hand and Kaitsuburi on off hand, my stats are:
Primary Accuracy: 718 Primary Attack: 781
Auxiliary Accuracy: 683 Auxiliary Attack: 716

whether that means that the weapons have a different accuracy rate, i dont know. more info, my Attack on my gear menu shows 781
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-03-31 08:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm at work now, but if someone has a few minutes, you could take your ilvl 119 katana and any non-ilvl katana to Ceizak Battlegrounds and find a Chapuli to attack. You should be able to eyeball a difference in accuracy if you are missing a lot with your offhand.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-03-31 09:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Stupid question which i remember reading an official SE post about but can't seem to dig up.

Dual wielding 2 katanas(or any of the 2 same type for that matter) uses main hand skill only for determining acc/attack for both hands correct?

Ex: your offhand acc/attack won't be lower using a 215 or 188 skill or even a level 99 weapon vs a 242 as long as your main hand is 242?
No, the accuracy/attack will be determined individually for each weapon. This was part of their reason for making the skill something different from older gear that added the combat skill directly to our character when equipped.
What is your source? Last I heard, your combat skill came from the +skill on your main weapon only. I could have been totally duped though because I can't find confirmation for either atm.
I don't think this is the exact post I'm thinking of where they talked about it but Here ya go.

As for your proof, /checkparam shows the difference in acc/att on your main and off-hand quite well and you will see a great difference when using two weapons of differing Ilvl/skill.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-03-31 10:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
How is this different than the "combat skill +" that we’ve seen up until now?
"The main weapon and sub weapon are calculated independently."
Well that solves that, and makes sense anyway especially if your off-hand weapon isn't the same type of weapon as your main hand weapon.

My ninja is currently using Raimitsukane and Kaitsuburi, so looks like a Kannakiri +2 would be a clear (and large) upgrade.
By Kyler 2014-03-31 11:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Only in situations where you need the acc and less so attack. Otherwise the delay difference probably favors kaitsu. The 119 delve katana is also an option
 Bahamut.Darksouls
Server: Bahamut
user: blacksoul
By Bahamut.Darksouls 2014-04-02 03:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Kikoku still the top 3 mainhand katana compare with other 119 katana options at the moment? Trying to decide whether I should make it for solo and AA fights. I would love to make kannagi but HMP price is pretty high at the moment.... Thank you very much.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-04-02 11:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Only in situations where you need the acc and less so attack. Otherwise the delay difference probably favors kaitsu. The 119 delve katana is also an option
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention. My only use for ninja right now is AA fights so I really only think about needing more accuracy
By Elazar1 2014-04-02 12:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Emp >> relic >> mythic>> then it's a toss up between A A or skirmish 2 depending on the args on it.
 Asura.Twignberries
Server: Asura
By Asura.Twignberries 2014-04-02 13:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Darksouls said: »
Is Kikoku still the top 3 mainhand katana compare with other 119 katana options at the moment? Trying to decide whether I should make it for solo and AA fights. I would love to make kannagi but HMP price is pretty high at the moment.... Thank you very much.

I have both, if you can only do 1 to ilvl, the relic is the way to go. Situationally, I use Kannagi when I can benefit from AM, ie starting the fight with 300tp.
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2014-04-04 17:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the gear sets posted on main page assume capped acc and/or att?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm getting really nice numbers from Mochizuki tekko +1 on some content. If I can understand the sets more I can gear better for different situations.

Fantastic work on the haste buff variant tp sets Kincard.
 Odin.Ketsuu
Server: Odin
By Odin.Ketsuu 2014-04-04 22:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

AA Katana(Raimitsukane) + skirmish +2 katana (Kannakiri +2) are considered the best 2 Katanas at the moment, correct? If so which in main hand and which in sub hand? Also what is considered the best augment for the skirimish +2 katana? Also how does Isuka hold up against the AA/Skirmish katanas?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-11 04:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ketsuu said: »
AA Also what is considered the best augment for the skirimish +2 katana? Also how does Isuka hold up against the AA/Skirmish katanas?
I'm curious about this as well, and let me add: which augment path for Isuka? (sadly doesn't get a DA one).
Also where does the newly released JS Katana fits in this?
It looks nice, low delay, but the OCD in me gets annoyed at the lower skill...

I also want to add more questions concerning Qaaxo set.
Mainly Hands/Legs/feet.
I was of course thinking about Path A for all 3 of them, using them as TP pieces. (given the exceptions on legs of course when you want DW)
Path A gives Attack, Evasion and DA. Normally I find the Evasion annoying on the other jobs who can equip Qaaxo (would've loved Acc instead!) but Ninja can probably make better use of that than the other jobs.
Also I suppose Head could be an alternative to Felistris Mask in situations where you don't want DW on head (i.e. situations where you'd use Felistris)
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2014-04-11 10:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Odin.Ketsuu said: »
AA Also what is considered the best augment for the skirimish +2 katana? Also how does Isuka hold up against the AA/Skirmish katanas?
I'm curious about this as well, and let me add: which augment path for Isuka? (sadly doesn't get a DA one).
Also where does the newly released JS Katana fits in this?
It looks nice, low delay, but the OCD in me gets annoyed at the lower skill...

The JSE katana seems to be for ninjutsu, with it's higher than usual magic acc, and -cast delay.

For me, this is perfect for fodder mobs / messing around doing salvage, reives, etc. On anything serious, I'm usually accuracy starved, and can't land enfeebles to save my life.

I started Isuka on path A, but I'm not far into it. I think I'm going to scrap it, and go with path B for the extra acc.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-11 11:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Orestes said: »
The JSE katana seems to be for ninjutsu, with it's higher than usual magic acc, and -cast delay.
That's true appearently.
But then you remember that the macc on weapons works only if you put them in mainhand and all your dreams are crushed :P
 Asura.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-11 11:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Your probably better just going with one of the current seven or eight katana combos. Also Qaaxo head path A and otronif +1 would be good alts to cat mask.

Also, I am very happy with my Isuka path B right now. A good boost in off hand Dps.
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2014-04-11 12:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Orestes said: »
That's true appearently.
But then you remember that the macc on weapons works only if you put them in mainhand and all your dreams are crushed :P

Damn, I didn't know that. Anywhere I can read more info on this?

By looking at this weapon, I'd almost wager whoever designed the stats didn't know that either, as it sure looks like an offhand.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-11 14:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I am rather confused at what this katana was designed for as well. It most certainly looks like it was intended as a offhand. So I picked one today just to play around with and test a bit!
 Cerberus.Mirlikovir
Server: Cerberus
user: eoz41
By Cerberus.Mirlikovir 2014-04-13 13:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So, how is that katana? tell us!!
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-04-13 13:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gippali said: »
Yeah I am rather confused at what this katana was designed for as well. It most certainly looks like it was intended as a offhand. So I picked one today just to play around with and test a bit!

SE said it was designed for use when you don't need to hold hate, and can make us of Innin, and moving forward they will make gear and weapons with tanking in mind.

Source
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-14 01:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Supposing the WS Damage+10% bonus from Skirmish+2 weapons works in offhand, I think an Augmented Kannakiri +2 with DMG+11 and WSdamage+10% is likely going to be our best offhand weapon?
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-14 02:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Supposing the WS Damage+10% bonus from Skirmish+2 weapons works in offhand, I think an Augmented Kannakiri +2 with DMG+11 and WSdamage+10% is likely going to be our best offhand weapon?

Yes, if kannakiri assumes those augments. Even if the ws dmg% doesn't work in off hand just swap it to main. Raim/kannakiri is a great combo (augs mentions) in either slot.

Still doing testing on shigi. However, the testing I have done has put it ahead of Kait by a decent amount. It pulls ahead of Isuka path A/B slightly, within a few points on the spread sheets. It is a great option if Raim or kannakiri is out of reach. Plus it's a wicked weapon model, one of the main reasons I made it!

Overview: get it as an upgrade from Kait.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-04-14 02:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shigi is nice but I still get OCD-annoyed at the lower skill.
It makes no rational sense, but I can't help it.

Atm it's not particularly more expensive than a R15 Isuka btw, on my server I think it's actually cheaper, almost half the price.

Edit:
Eeeehr I wasn't considering the other materials necessary for Isuka, but it's still cheaper than buying 6x Airlixir+2 atm
 Cua
By Cua 2014-04-14 02:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone use shurikens at all? I understand that the sweet spot is between 1-2.5 yalms which is obviously with melee range. I can imagine some crazy damage output combining those with the katana.
 Carbuncle.Jysthea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Jysthea
By Carbuncle.Jysthea 2014-04-14 02:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cua said: »
Does anyone use shurikens at all? I understand that the sweet spot is between 1-2.5 yalms which is obviously with melee range. I can imagine some crazy damage output combining those with the katana.

Except that there have been no shurikens added since the lvl 80 ones...
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-04-14 09:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Jysthea said: »
Cua said: »

Except that there have been no shurikens added since the lvl 80 ones...

I'll mess with shurikens when SE adds throwing WSs
 Cua
By Cua 2014-04-14 12:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The level 80 ones are still decent.

I can see an npc in adoulin one day just selling a whole bunch though.
 Cerberus.Mirlikovir
Server: Cerberus
user: eoz41
By Cerberus.Mirlikovir 2014-04-15 10:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I like that idea ... dream ....
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-04-16 01:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Shigi and Mujin Mantle put you below the minimum recast time on ninjutsu spells?
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-04-16 11:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no known recast reduction cap as far as I know. IIRC people have tested with 80% fast cast (so -40% recast) and capped haste and never reached a cap so the assumption is that no such cap exists.

So, when I first saw that -3 recast on Shigi, I thought it'd help out tanking a bit. Really, all the stats on the Shigi aside the enmity would be helpful to tanking. Though, at this point you shouldn't really be losing hate to anybody you wouldn't lose it to anyway without the enmity-. I think even in cases where you're trying to tank that -10 enmity wouldn't really hurt that much. You're going to lose hate to other DDs either way.

Personally, if I was to design an Innin weapon, it'd probably have crit damage on it or something, that'd be a lot more useful than the ninjutsu skill.

In other news, I looked through the new items from the last 2 updates and added what looked good. One of the downsides to getting new content more often is that this guide becomes obsolete faster, heh. Thanks a lot for the kind words, folks. I get a bit lazy- sometimes when I manage to get free time I end up playing the game rather than updating the guide. =P
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-04-16 13:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, for some reason I thought there was an 80% max recast reduction on spells.

I was more thinking about making it for lowmanning the Fulcrum BC. I've been doing it as NIN, BRD, SCH, WHM, so a lower Utsu and Migawari recast would be nice. Super fun to NIN tank that, btw!
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 253 254 255