Sword Art Online [spoilers]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-01-15 03:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree SAO had it's problems, I think they could have done a better job spacing out Aincrad? and make multiple seasons of that first intial story arc, and just extend the length of it to provide better story and character development.

would have made for a better show imo than jumping mmo's.

Overall though i still enjoyed it D:

<3'd the *** out of accel world though (in most cases i thought it was better tbh)
 Ragnarok.Tarage
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tarage
By Ragnarok.Tarage 2014-01-15 06:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said before, the reason the first half of the series is generally considered to be better than the second is because it had supplementary material shoved in it. Ask yourself if you would have enjoyed it as much if the only episodes that aired were the ones that directly related to Kirito and Asuna. No side characters. Even the first episode was from material written well after the story was published.

Accel World is a better series because the author had time to learn from his mistakes in SAO. It's a fine anime, but please don't build it to be this masterpiece that is clearly is not.
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
user: Yomisha
By Yomisha Belmont 2014-01-15 17:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amusing how angry you seem to be about people building up this show. I didn't read all of the thread, but no one recently has boasted this anime being the best or a masterpiece. However, what is trash to you, may be a treasure to some one else. Take a deep breath, it's going to be okay! :p

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

Same goes for you. Thanks for giving an extremely long winded, yet detailed, wall-o'-text to read on the reasons you dislike SAO. I can appreciate some of the reasoning you gave. But like I say with people who go insane over movies, it's meant for entertainment. Enjoy it. Or don't! But you just sound really upset over fictional entertainment that is meant to be taken more lightly. To each their own.

I'd also like to point out that I never said they were "problems" and I didn't contradict myself either, lol. Perception is interesting. Anyway. They have similar content. Yes, there can be too much of this content, I understand that. Also, that while many other animes have the same elements, some have something to redeem themselves. To you, this one didn't. Which is really all you had to say.

From a girls point of view, I wasn't bothered with how they were treated. Sure, they were competent swords...women. But it's pretty clear that he's trying to protect them rather than make a sexist statement here. It actually made me laugh a bit when Leafa was healing rather than fighting. Often times I will be healing rather than fighting in games, even though competent at both. Usually by choice, but either way, it made me giggle. [insert girlfriend/healer meme here]! Anyway...

Thanks for explaining. I rather enjoyed SAO and recommend people to give it a try. Especially those who MMO it up. Not everyone will like it, but that's a given. :p
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-15 17:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Onorgul I enjoyed Madoka, but how was that any less predictable? You could tell what was up with Homura very soon honestly.

Speaking of mmo anime anyway, Log Horizon despite a slow start has picked up nicely, I'd check it out if you enjoy the genre. No masterpiece there either, but it's cool.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yomisha Belmont said: »
Which is really all you had to say.
That is all I said. Then you decided to make a brain-dead comment that all stories are as atrociously bad as this one and that is what set me off.

In the meantime, though, the objectification of underage girls and the promotion of an incest plot for literally masturbatory purposes are things that will upset me. I notice you keep skipping past those elements while defending this bit of tripe. The story would still fail if they'd removed the rampant sexism and catering to perversion, but I would merely write it off as dull instead of wanting to see it burn.
By Heimdel 2014-01-15 18:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amusing how angry you seem to be about people building up this show. I didn't read all of the thread, but no one recently has boasted this anime being the best or a masterpiece. However, what is trash to you, may be a treasure to some one else. Take a deep breath, it's going to be okay! :p

Same goes for you. Thanks for giving an extremely long winded, yet detailed, wall-o'-text to read on the reasons you dislike SAO. I can appreciate some of the reasoning you gave. But like I say with people who go insane over movies, it's meant for entertainment. Enjoy it. Or don't! But you just sound really upset over fictional entertainment that is meant to be taken more lightly. To each their own.

I'd also like to point out that I never said they were "problems" and I didn't contradict myself either, lol. Perception is interesting. Anyway. They have similar content. Yes, there can be too much of this content, I understand that. Also, that while many other animes have the same elements, some have something to redeem themselves. To you, this one didn't. Which is really all you had to say.

From a girls point of view, I wasn't bothered with how they were treated. Sure, they were competent swords...women. But it's pretty clear that he's trying to protect them rather than make a sexist statement here. It actually made me laugh a bit when Leafa was healing rather than fighting. Often times I will be healing rather than fighting in games, even though competent at both. Usually by choice, but either way, it made me giggle. [insert girlfriend/healer meme here]! Anyway...

Thanks for explaining. I rather enjoyed SAO and recommend people to give it a try. Especially those who MMO it up. Not everyone will like it, but that's a given. :p

Just finished watching this and loved it. But there were both girls and guys healing. The salamanders fight on the bridge had several guys healing the shield men and in the final battle the nerdy kid was healing along with the girl. Also both main female characters did plenty of fighting. The one playing equal with him as worked as a team with combos.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Onorgul I enjoyed Madoka, but how was that any less predictable? You could tell what was up with Homura very soon honestly.
I didn't say Madoka Magica was unpredictable (I can't comment on that, to be honest, because the plot was spoiled for me before I watched it), I just said it was good. To contrast it with Sword Art Online, Madoka had a point to make and spent its time exploring that. It also had developed characters that grow, a "villain" with clear motivations (albeit inhuman ones), and ridiculous production values. It was polished and tight, even if it wasn't some revolutionary new thought.

That said, I don't know of any other straight-faced subversions of the magical girl genre. I'm sure they must exist because the premise is too silly not to make fun of, but what few examples I've seen have been straight comedy.
By volkom 2014-01-15 18:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is really all you had to say.
That is all I said. Then you decided to make a brain-dead comment that all stories are as atrociously bad as this one and that is what set me off.

In the meantime, though, the objectification of underage girls and the promotion of an incest plot for literally masturbatory purposes are things that will upset me. I notice you keep skipping past those elements while defending this bit of tripe. The story would still fail if they'd removed the rampant sexism and catering to perversion, but I would merely write it off as dull instead of wanting to see it burn.

think you should read up on japanese culture more and stop being offended so easily. If you want to get technical with stuff, nearly everything can be used for masturbatory purposes. grow a pair and stop being a whiny baby about things.
clearly you have problems with sexual provocations in anime. and it may not appease you. Go watch something more innocent then like scoobydoo
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdel said: »
Just finished watching this and loved it. But there were both girls and guys healing. The salamanders fight on the bridge had several guys healing the shield men and in the final battle the nerdy kid was healing along with the girl. Also both main female characters did plenty of fighting. The one playing equal with him as worked as a team with combos.
Did I say that only women healed? I said that Kirito has a nasty habit of pushing his partners (who are all girls because this is a harem anime) into the shadows. Asuna did start off very strong, too, and I commented on that. Part of my annoyance is with how her character got thrown into a literal birdcage where she got to sit wimpering. But, no, Leafa definitely did not do "plenty of fighting." The only time she drew her sword to attack anything was during the World Tree raid (where, ironically, she got in the way of another clearly strong female who never got shown employing her skills -- unless cleavage is a skill).

Oh, hey, the problem of Kirito shoving his partners aside, that ought to have become a character moment. He spends the entire runtime, barring the incident with the Moonlit Black Cats, playing the lone wolf and on two major occasions gets completely spanked for it. In a story that was worth two puffs of methane, he would have learned to value teamwork and treat his friends and e-wife as equals. Instead, deus ex machina to the rescue and he never learns a single lesson ever. What a hero. I swear the only reason he didn't kill Sugou the second time is because no one was watching.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-15 18:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say this is an anime aimed at a young audience. It has dramatic moments but it overall keeps a very soft tone. In these kind of works the hero will always be the one doing everything, cause they want the viewer to identify with him and so side-characters end up just giving the hero "the feels" to win the battles.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure I buy the "soft tone" claim when it features graphic depictions of torture, attempted rape, and murder. I'm pretty sure that's not normal viewing stuff for 10-year-olds.

That said, the tone is kind of culturally weird. Japan and East Asia tend to emphasize teamwork over solo endeavors. For heaven's sake, that's why FFXI made it virtually impossible to solo things that were even "Decent Challenge" until rather recently. Other shounen anime that I've watched may have the same "the hero gets to do the heavy lifting" stuff, I'll grant you, but they generally have to work for that. Naruto may have a built-in iWin button by way of the Kyuubi, but he still got his *** handed to him regularly and had to rely on his friends with some frequency. SAO actually had that element, too, with Asuna being about as strong as Kirito, but then her character got neutered for no adequately explainable reason.
By volkom 2014-01-15 18:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

hrrrghh
sexism in anime

ghost in the shell:

YouTube Video Placeholder

cowboy bebop:

FMA brotherhood:
OH BABY 2 buff guys flexing at each other then having a gay moment totally turns me on (totally masturbatory material)

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose I was unclear: the wank-fantasy aspect of harem anime is just eye-rolling. It's like reading the mind of a 13-year-old boy. My objection is to the pedophilia of this particular harem wank-fantasy. The objectification in Ghost in the Shell was kinda pointless and thus a bit tasteless, but the Major is an adult.

As for the muscle bears in FMA... sorry, what was your point? It doesn't turn you on, so... what? I always read that as the author (who is a woman) specifically commenting on the pointless fanservice stupidity that clogs up manga and anime.
By Enuyasha 2014-01-15 18:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose I was unclear: the wank-fantasy aspect of harem anime is just eye-rolling. It's like reading the mind of a 13-year-old boy. My objection is to the pedophilia of this particular harem wank-fantasy. The objectification in Ghost in the Shell was kinda pointless and thus a bit tasteless, but the Major is an adult.

As for the muscle bears in FMA... sorry, what was your point? It doesn't turn you on, so... what? I always read that as the author (who is a woman) specifically commenting on the pointless fanservice stupidity that clogs up manga and anime.
The Majors nudity and scantily cladism had a reason other than fap fuel. >_> Most everything in GiTS had a reason for being there.

The only thing i can honestly say im disappointed with SAO over is the english DUB....so much emotion turned into just garbage regurgitated nonsense.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-01-15 18:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »

The Majors nudity and scantily cladism had a reason other than fap fuel. >_> Most everything in GiTS had a reason for being there.

The only thing i can honestly say im disappointed with SAO over is the english DUB....so much emotion turned into just garbage regurgitated nonsense.

that tends to be the pattern with most english dubs, which is why i avoid them D:
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-01-15 18:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Izilder said: »
necro time and i dont even care ! SAO update news!

1. we can expect an SAO "extra addition" out at xmas time (guess that means an OVA?)

http://www.swordart-onlineusa.com/

2. yes... next year a SAO MMO......jesus and the holy spirits...i want my nerve gear helm and my floor 100 win right now.

http://www.onrpg.com/videos/aeria-games-official-sword-art-online-teaser-trailer/

ps: If i find out this is for Asia only im gonna be pissed lol - then move to Asia and profit.

3. Still waiting on any season 3/4 news ;;

You and I will be sharing the same plane, I will play this even if it ends up with a Psycho saying "you die in game, you die in the real world"

Challenge Accepted!
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 18:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you speak Japanese? I mean fluently. I don't, but I have a sneaking suspicion that most anime seiyuu are over-acting like crazy and would sound ridiculous in real life. That's certainly how native English voice acting tends to work for animation. For some reason, though, voice actors who are dubbing a foreign language work try to act more naturalistically, which doesn't work with the subject matter. I can only assume that American voice actors (or their directors, anyhow) are unaware of the difference because they don't speak Japanese.
By Enuyasha 2014-01-15 19:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you speak Japanese? I mean fluently. I don't, but I have a sneaking suspicion that most anime seiyuu are over-acting like crazy and would sound ridiculous in real life. That's certainly how native English voice acting tends to work for animation. For some reason, though, voice actors who are dubbing a foreign language work try to act more naturalistically, which doesn't work with the subject matter. I can only assume that American voice actors (or their directors, anyhow) are unaware of the difference because they don't speak Japanese.
but do actual actors speak in a flat tone...

I see the situations in Anime to be ridiculous anyway so "overacting" is sometimes called for. But when youre supposed to sound sincere and you sound like you are talking in times new roman...its kinda noticeable.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 19:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched it subbed because I distrust the quality of dubbing studios. If you can point to a video on YouTube that shows what you mean, I'll certainly give it a look. There was a moderate amount of emotional weird in the original Japanese, after all. Kirito has a bad habit of having no emotional response to most stimulus and it was clearly scripted that way even though it makes no sense in context.
By Enuyasha 2014-01-15 20:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched it subbed because I distrust the quality of dubbing studios. If you can point to a video on YouTube that shows what you mean, I'll certainly give it a look. There was a moderate amount of emotional weird in the original Japanese, after all. Kirito has a bad habit of having no emotional response to most stimulus and it was clearly scripted that way even though it makes no sense in context.
yea, there are definitely times where theres "no emotion" but then theres intense feels all over the place the next episode or the next couple episodes.

Ill find something here in a minute, but i might just have to link you to crunchyroll st dpecific times :|
By Yomisha Belmont 2014-01-15 20:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to reply more directly*(!), but I guess I'll leave it alone. Putting words into my mouth over an anime. Really interesting. Some mad cannot be calmed!
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 20:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have nothing to say, then don't say anything. If you want to explain to me why this puddle of tripe was good, then do it. It's not complicated. Spare me the fake condescension and passive-aggressive posturing.
Server: Ultros
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-01-15 20:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

All of a sudden, people feel like their detailed, heartfelt opinions about something over the internet means something.

Nope.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 20:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Euclids Cfinder said: »
All of a sudden, people feel like their detailed, heartfelt opinions about something over the internet means something.

Nope.
Oh, hey, your comment did remind me of one of the things Sword Art Online actually did get right: real life or online, people are still people. It could have explored it a little more since Kirito learns the lesson in a kind of one-sided way, but credit where it's due. Shame that lesson must've gone straight over your head.
By Ciri Zireael 2014-01-15 21:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, shame I've never even watched the anime. But being a condescending *** in every single one of your posts responding to someone sure earns you a lot of internet cool points.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-15 21:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Every single one? That's not even remotely true. For that matter, most of the time I just return back the way that people speak to me.

I'm guessing you're playing white knight for Yomisha and her passive-aggressive stance of saying, "Gee, 'thanks' for taking the time to provide a full response, but I'm just going to be dismissive and snotty." Or are you standing up for Volkom who actually raised a good point about Ghost in the Shell but has disappointingly decided not to follow up? Of course, that was after telling me to "grow a pair," but I guess that doesn't count as condescending dickery because of reasons.

Or were you just talking about your own interruption?
By Ciri Zireael 2014-01-15 21:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe my first post covered everything and now you're just trying to save face when being called out about being passive aggressive over your own opinions and trying to say that they are facts.
[+]
By volkom 2014-01-15 22:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Volkom who actually raised a good point about Ghost in the Shell but has disappointingly decided not to follow up?

waiting for your opinions about the sexual nature of the shows you listed as
Quote:
Good anime
By Yomisha Belmont 2014-01-15 22:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL I wasn't dismissive and snotty. Oh boy. There's just no need to keep going on. Why I thought it was good will not change your mind. I realize it is my opinion and that is why. Which is fine. No need for all of this. Chill.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-01-15 23:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

they definitely do "over act" at times, but a lot of the time it's for a purpose. gives more meaning to what's being said.

the english dub crap sounds more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE than anything i've ever heard but that's actually not the issue i have with it.

a good sub actually gives out more information on what they say, than an english dub.

english dub's usually shorten or paraphrase what's said, and i think overall it drops the quality of the story. also for some reason they make characters sound like they are 12 and it's pretty bleh overall imo.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13