Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 05:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Genre
Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, Science Fantasy, Science Fiction

In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds.

On November 6, 2022, all the players log in for the first time, and discover that they are unable to log out. They are then teleported to a place where Kayaba Akihiko, the creator of SAO, issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in game, their bodies will also die in the real world. The story follows Kirito, a skilled player who is determined to beat the game.

SettingLight NovelsSide StoriesSAO Material EditionsAnimeCharacters

Setting
The light novel series spans several virtual MMORPGs, not exclusively the titular world of Sword Art Online.

Sword Art Online
The first virtual game world, and the setting of the first and second novels of the series. It consists of a giant floating castle called Aincrad, with 100 floors in it, each of which contains a slightly different medieval setting and dungeon with a boss. If the boss is killed the players can proceed to the next floor. It is turned into a death game by its creator Kayaba Akihiko in hopes of creating a true virtual reality. It implements a level based system. Thus, in cases where players with an overwhelming difference in levels face off, one side could very well be invincible compared to the other side.

Alfheim Online
The setting for the second arc of the story. It implements the first unique flight system that allows players to fly via wings. Players must choose out of nine different races, known races are: Spriggan, Sylph, Undine, Gnome, Salamander, Cait Sith, Leprechaun, Imp and Puca, each possessing their own strengths and weaknesses. ALO implements a skill based system as opposed to a level based system, in other words all experience is used to increase the skill level with only small health increases. Thus, even lower level players have a chance to win against higher level players.

Gun Gale Online
The setting for the third arc of the story. It is a virtual game world with its main focus on guns, although melee weapons like lightsabers and knives also exist.

UnderWorld
The setting for the fourth arc of the story. According to Kirito it is, graphically, the most realistic of all VRMMOs to date. The flow of time in UW is faster than the real world (probably a prototype of the accelerated world). Even so, it seems that even Kirito was mislead as to the actual rate of the flow of time so an accurate ratio of the flow of time is, as of yet unknown, or whether the rate changes during the Alicization Arc. However, in the "There is but one ultimate way" side story, the rate is said to be 10000 times that of the real world.

Light Novels
Reki Kawahara wrote the first volume in 2002 as a contribution for ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Game Novel Prize (電撃ゲーム小説大賞 Dengeki Game Shōsetsu Taishō, now Dengeki Novel Prize), but refrained from sending it in due to exceeding the page limit. Thus he published it as a web novel using the pseudonym Fumio Kunori. Over time he added three further volumes and several short stories. In 2008, he tried again for the prize by writing Accel World and this time won the Grand Prize. Aside from Accel World he was also asked to get his prior work Sword Art Online published by ASCII Media Works. Kawahara agreed and withdrew his web novel versions. The republication as a paper novel began on April 10, 2009. The paper novel excluded chapter 16.5 of the web novel, due to its explicit scene.

1. Sword Art Online 1: Aincrad

2. Sword Art Online 2: Aincrad

3. Sword Art Online 3: Fairy Dance

4. Sword Art Online 4: Fairy Dance

5. Sword Art Online 5: Phantom Bullet

6. Sword Art Online 6: Phantom Bullet

7. Sword Art Online 7: Mother's Rosario

8. Sword Art Online 8: Early and Late

9. Sword Art Online 9: Alicization Beginning

10. Sword Art Online 10: Alicization Running

11. Volume 11 - (Late Winter 2012/2013)

:: WARNING ::
Clicking these links bring you to the
baka-tsuki sub group wiki where you can
read the novels fully translated but
will contain spoilers.

Available in other languages
Side Stories
Note: Please be advised that these stories might or might not be canon and might also have details that are slightly different than the volumes above.

Sword Art Online: Material Editions
The Material Edition (ME) series is a series of doujinshis created by Kawahara Reki himself using the pen name "Kunori Fumio" (the same pen name he used when he wrote the web novel of SAO).

Anime
Episode Links: Crunchyroll | Links within brackets: Torrent Links
Episode 01 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 02 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 03 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 04 [480p][720p][1080p]
Episode 05 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 06 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 07 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 08 [480p][720p][1080p]
Episode 09 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 10 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 11 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 12 [480p][720p][1080p]
Episode 13 [480p][720p][1080p]Episode 14 [480p][720p][1080p]
Characters
I'll write more later~
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2012-09-25 05:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

ive been enjoying this series - people stuck in an MMO... NEVER!
 Leviathan.Pixter
Server: Leviathan
user: Pixter
By Leviathan.Pixter 2012-09-25 05:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a really nice Anime. Everyone that liked .hack should watch this ;)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-09-25 06:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't like .hack at all and love this show. Though I only watched .hack for like 4 episodes. I was like 4 episodes and not a single fight. Hell, woulda got some screaming in DBZ at least in 4 episodes and a quarter of a spirit bomb. Got no action at all lol so never watched it again
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2012-09-25 06:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for posting this, Kalilla. I've been watching this on CR and enjoying it, but I hadn't looked into its origins. I'm looking forward to reading the LNs. It kinda makes me wonder how far the anime will get.

Obviously I don't know how the story goes past what I've seen in the anime, but it sure looks like Kirito is a glutton for punishment. You'd think after SAO, he and a whole lot of other people would swear off virtual reality MMOs forever. <Insert MMO player jokes here> Hopefully the story gets into that.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 14:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Didn't like .hack at all and love this show. Though I only watched .hack for like 4 episodes. I was like 4 episodes and not a single fight. Hell, woulda got some screaming in DBZ at least in 4 episodes and a quarter of a spirit bomb. Got no action at all lol so never watched it again
Screaming can last for four episodes in DBZ :x

*hides*
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Keyera
Server: Shiva
user: Keyera
By Shiva.Keyera 2012-09-25 15:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Been watching this anime since release, been enjoying it a lot. I like how you can see all of the quirks of MMO games while watching. The characters are all really well done, too =)
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 15:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely love the two main characters, so cute D:
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-09-25 15:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 2 episodes behind... stupid school ><

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Justicebringer
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Justicebringer 2012-09-25 15:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an interesting anime, although I do think the LN's are way better. The main character though, so "Mary Sue" in the anime and to an extent in the LN's. I do like a lot of the side characters though!
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
Server: Lakshmi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2012-09-25 15:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we also need a thread for Accel World up in this (but I couldn't make such a pretty OP).
 Carbuncle.Cardinalgate
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Cardinalgate 2012-09-25 17:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Enjoy
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 18:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Phaffi said: »
I think we also need a thread for Accel World up in this (but I couldn't make such a pretty OP).
I'll look into it so I can make one for it, I just haven't seen it yet.
 Shiva.Halycon
By Shiva.Halycon 2012-09-25 18:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off topic if anyone wants a friend pass for Crunchy Roll I have 2 codes around send me a PM but that aside! SAO has been a great anime thus far :D
 Lakshmi.Cesil
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2012-09-25 18:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I love this show :] Reminds me of my MMO experiences so much haha.
By Chimerawizard 2012-09-25 18:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just introduced to the anime last week. It's amazing, then you show me that there are novels and manga of it too?! Thank you.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 18:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there is any manga for SAO, if there is please link me to it :o!
 Quetzalcoatl.Dalmat
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dalmat
By Quetzalcoatl.Dalmat 2012-09-25 18:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Here ya go man

Your text to link here...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-09-25 18:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sword-art-online-r1360?st=20

Apparently it's quite bad
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2012-09-25 19:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »

Same author, it starts slower than SAO, takes place 20 years after the death game incident, there's a crossover in the novels for SAO/AW in the side stories volume of Accel World (Volume 10 iirc).
 Caitsith.Goldensephiroth
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Goldensephiroth 2012-09-25 19:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, as Dracondria said, the manga does not do the LN justice. The major problem I had with it was the shoujo-styled art style. The anime on the other hand is doing a great job.

The anime is estimated to go up to the end of the 4th volume, as its only got a half-year length. Would be nice if they extended it but probably won't happen. Going to have to start reading the LN from that point on if you'd like to continue the series, which is quite worth it.
 Siren.Seiri
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-09-25 19:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The art in the manga is fairly lackluster, plus the plot is fairly different in some respects. Story wise? Its good.

Accel world is totally different though..I couldn't get to like the main characters, though thats just me.

Edit: Actually, with how popular SAO is...a second season is pretty bloody likely. The LN is fantastic, but tbh I prefer the manga. Saying that, only Hakomari trumps this as a LN.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-09-25 19:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »

Same author, it starts slower than SAO, takes place 20 years after the death game incident, there's a crossover in the novels for SAO/AW in the side stories volume of Accel World (Volume 10 iirc).
So these two stories are related? We could just combine the two topics into this one.
 Caitsith.Goldensephiroth
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Goldensephiroth 2012-09-25 19:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They're related, but very loosely. Like other than the crossover and maybe a few vague references from the author here and there, they are for the most part stand alone stories.
 Siren.Calnus
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-09-28 05:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished watching all 12 episodes, It's been a extremely long dry spell on me for Anime and nothing ever seems good anymore. I know Legend of Korra technically doesn't count as Anime but It was the first thing in a few years to get my attention and enjoyment.

Sword Art Online absolutely is one of the best things in a long time in my opinion. I can't believe nobody did anything like this sooner in retrospect of the MMO boom.

Looks like episode 13 is supposed to be released on the 29th and I shall be eagerly checking torrents for it. Thanks for posting about this.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-09-28 06:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a question though. Why didn't everyone die in the first week from dehydration?

All I can figure is everyone was taken to hospital or something and are on being kept alive that way.

Since SAO time and IRL time are completely in parallel, they've been in there years and are still alive.
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2012-09-28 07:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Linking to HorribleSubs instead of UTWoots.
Oh god what are you doing?
 Shiva.Corvinos
user: Corvinus
By Shiva.Corvinos 2012-09-28 08:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ihm said: »
Here's a question though. Why didn't everyone die in the first week from dehydration?

All I can figure is everyone was taken to hospital or something and are on being kept alive that way.

Since SAO time and IRL time are completely in parallel, they've been in there years and are still alive.

Yes, I believe it said in the first episode that everyone was being transported to hospitals once the public found out that the game was able to kill people.

Also to say what several others have been saying read the LN it is great. Would love to see the anime continue on past the first two volumes.
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13