A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 47 48 49 ... 99 100 101
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-06-10 17:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Pedagogy loafers boost the correlated stats if you've merited Stormsurge. It's not much, but every bit helps.

EDIT: Just double-checked, should be 12 extra stats with 5/5 on Stormsurge. That's a pretty nice boost.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-10 17:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really any point in a mage setup unless it's Hailstorm. Ease of reapplication plus fight duration should also be taken into consideration. I don't remember the last time I brought a SCH to a melee fight.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-06-10 18:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe pre-embrava nerf.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-11 07:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Not really any point in a mage setup unless it's Hailstorm.
Or Voidstorm.
And yeah I discussed this a few pages ago, if you're storming for mages and it's not Void or Hail, then you might as well not use Peda feet.
But if it's one of those two or if you're in one of those rare circumstances where you're storming the DDs to give them stats, then Peda loafers should be used.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-11 14:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call 3 INT on a spell that gains only 1-3 magic accuracy and no damage from it on the associated spell (Death) worth using over duration gear. Especially in my situation where reapplication means dropping someone in the BLM party to fit a SCH back in who is occasionally the sole SCH.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-12 06:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but but there's not only death, there's Noctohelix2, there's Comet, there's Impact etc

I'm not saying +3 on Voidstorm is a huge deal because it's not, but then again +18 seconds from using Telchine isn't a big deal either?
Whichever route you want to go (Loafers or Telchine) I doubt it's ginna make a huge difference either way.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-12 06:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

An extra 10% boost on an additional 4 deaths is a pretty big deal comparably, lol. Again, practicality of reapplication and shorter duration fights do favor Pedagogy, but in a situation where you want to get the most out of the pre-buff Storm and have to choose between one or the other, go with duration.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Vardaman
Server: Valefor
user: Vardaman
By Valefor.Vardaman 2016-07-12 22:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, hopefully quick Oseem augment question.

I currently have two pairs of merlinic pants. One I use for MBs (macc+11, mab+29, MBD+10), the other for general nuking and macc (MND+10, macc+32, mab+38). While augmenting the latter pair, Oseem's given me INT+10, macc+22, mab+27, MBD+9.

In all of the stones I've spent on these, I haven't seen another augment like the original (the mab+38 ones) nor have I seen one like this new one. I'm having trouble deciding which one to keep.

If I keep the new augment I'd have to use these pants for general work, which they're worse at than the original (11 less mab, 10 less macc). I could also use them for MB stuff, and vs. the other pair I currently use for that they have INT+10, macc+11 but MBD-1. Yeah, they'd place me 1% under cap, and I currently don't have the means (re: Oseem isn't always this nice) to get back up to cap without sacrificing elsewhere.

I think it's that, individually, the original augments are better at what role I've given them (general work, MBs) and this new augment, while neat, would be worse if I tried to make it perform both roles. Does that sound about right? I'd appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-07-13 01:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think it's best if you can cap MB without using the feet slot, because that means you can use AF3 feet (with weather/day/klima up) which produce better results than the best augmented Merlinic.

But that's just me of course :x
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-07-13 08:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
But that's just me of course :x

Nah, it's pretty much what everyone does and it's also the right thing to do.
[+]
 Bismarck.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2016-07-13 11:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think that wearing the pants he is talking about on his feet might look rather silly! But yes, use Empy feet for klima/weather up.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-07-18 11:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I get a PM every month or so on this topic I will make a little post to record it for others.

State of the Game of Tupsimati 119-II vs Akademos

My current itemset:

ItemSet 339559

Head: Macc+26 MAB+30 MB+9%
Body: INT+9 MACC+35 MAB+33
Pants: Macc+18 MAB+32 MB+10%
Cape: INT+29 MACC/Mdmg+20 MAB+10

Dry testing on L100 Mandys where Dint doesn't matter for raw numbers. Klimaform and Weather II is up. 2100 JobPoints used.

Ebullience Thunder V MB:

Tupsimati 79008
Akademos (A) 81613
Tupsimati (full AM2) 86042

Ebullience Ionohelix II MB:

Akademos (A) 10496
Tupsimati 11247
Tupsimati (full AM2) 12535

Akademos is clearly a beast of a weapon. For normal nukes it will pull ahead and would pull even a little more ahead if I compensated for the overspill MagicBurst Bonus or on targets where a little more INT puts you into another Tier bracket.

Tupsimati is the favourite on Helix due to the big MagicDamage or if you are a madman and try to AM2 while your alliance is screaming at you to finally start your Skillchains for the BLMs.

>>> For the overwhelming amout of SCHs Akademos is the weapon to have for all eternity. Tupsimati is for tinkerers and SCH lovers.
[+]
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Runswithfafnirs 2016-07-19 19:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

<3
By BlaTheTaru 2016-07-19 20:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at the kaustra set posted in the guide and it seems up to date, but would an archon ring beat out a shiva+1?
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-07-19 21:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
archon ring beat out a shiva+1?

It should by all means.
By BlaTheTaru 2016-07-19 21:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks! I watch your videos on sch and I gotta say you're the best sch I have seen! Way better than this other guy I know.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-07-19 22:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Errr.... well thx but there's quite some other cool SCHs around like https://www.youtube.com/user/Mischief17/videos
 Asura.Lilchemist
By Asura.Lilchemist 2016-08-01 11:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to the Lugh Cape,

should i be making 2 versions?

1st cape for Enf/Nuke :
INT20,Magic Acc/Magic Damage +20, MAB+10
also not sure whats best for dye.. +10int or +10 M.Acc?

2nd cape for FC: only put FC+10 on it , not sure if it's worth my while to add other stats to this cape

thanks in advance for any input.
 Bismarck.Dunigs
user: Dunigs
By Bismarck.Dunigs 2016-08-01 12:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lilchemist said: »
In regards to the Lugh Cape,

should i be making 2 versions?

1st cape for Enf/Nuke :
INT20,Magic Acc/Magic Damage +20, MAB+10

2nd cape for FC: only put FC+10 on it , not sure if it's worth my while to add other stats to this cape

thanks in advance for any input.

You'd probably get more mileage out of capping via other slots and using Maju cape (if available). Regardless, with RDM sub, decent gear in other slots and merlinic augments on head/feet you can cap FC without the back slot at all, or at the very least finish capping using just a swith cape rather than wasting points on another cape.

I'd almost definitely say INT for dye augment. Worst case 10INT should translate into 5Macc so the net difference in picking Macc is quite low
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-08-01 12:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

INT
I threw on MP+60 for Myrkr on my FC cape.
 Asura.Lilchemist
By Asura.Lilchemist 2016-08-02 02:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for some advice for my enfeebling set:

1) Which is better.. Lurid Mitts vs my augmented Chironic Gloves (M.Acc +44, MAB+16 STP+2) .... i figure the M.acc overides the enf. skill of the Lurid Mitts.

2) Pyscloth Lappas Path D vs my Augmented Chironic HOse (M.Acc +27, MAB+9 ConserveMP+2) .. i figure with the immunobreak these may be a better choice?

Do any experts have some advice on these 2 slots?
By Nocki 2016-08-02 02:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

In a majority of sitatuions that a SCH would be enfeebling, it's more important for them to be able to land it than it is to start considering potency/duration from enfeeble skill. So, I would go for the high Macc Chironic Gloves and Chironic Hose. (Note the max macc with pellucid is 40 so keep rerolling those pants for the best enfeebling outcome.) The Immunobreak on pants is quite helpful for higher level NMs, like blinding Maju for example.
By Murisia 2016-08-02 08:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nocki said: »
In a majority of sitatuions that a SCH would be enfeebling, it's more important for them to be able to land it than it is to start considering potency/duration from enfeeble skill. So, I would go for the high Macc Chironic Gloves and Chironic Hose. (Note the max macc with pellucid is 40 so keep rerolling those pants for the best enfeebling outcome.) The Immunobreak on pants is quite helpful for higher level NMs, like blinding Maju for example.

This is very true. In almost any situation I've been in on sch I've found landing the enfeeble to be more important than the potency of it. Maju is a great example for the higher tier NMs
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-02 09:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

After the 4th augment on the Ambuscade cape (for a total of INT+30) do you guys still keep a trigger to select wether to cast Helix in the JSE cape or Ambuscade cape? Or are you playing it Lazy and just using one of them?
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-02 10:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is what I use:

['Enfeebling Magic'] = {
main={ name="Grioavolr", augments={'Enfb.mag. skill +15','MP+31','Mag. Acc.+27','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+14','Magic Damage +2',}},
sub="Clerisy strap +1",
ammo="Pemphredo Tathlum",
head={ name="Merlinic Hood", augments={'Mag. Acc.+13','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+29','Mag. Acc.+14 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+14',}},
neck="Incanter's torque",
ear1="Barkarole earring",
ear2="Digni. Earring",
body="Vanya Robe",
hands="Lurid Mitts",
ring1="Vertigo Ring",
ring2="Shiva ring +1",
back="Aurist's Cape +1",
waist="Luminary Sash",
legs="Chironic hose",
feet="Medium's Sabots"}

Chironic hose +15 INT,+29 Macc
By Nocki 2016-08-02 11:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
After the 4th augment on the Ambuscade cape (for a total of INT+30) do you guys still keep a trigger to select wether to cast Helix in the JSE cape or Ambuscade cape? Or are you playing it Lazy and just using one of them?
I personally still use incursion cape, because in 90% of cases my helix will still land for more than 10k damage and the extra duration is more helpful in that situation.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-02 16:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Nocki said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
I personally still use incursion cape, because in 90% of cases my helix will still land for more than 10k damage and the extra duration is more helpful in that situation.

only thing that seems resistant to the 10k thing is maybe AVv2, Reisen HELM, couple unity mobs, other than that 10k should be pretty easy
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-03 01:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, my personal view on the thing, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Easy Stuff => can easily reach 10k, on many targets even without buffs. But stuff dies so fast more often than not you don't even get to the final tocks of Helix

T3 Reisenjima => Need buffs to reach 10k, can probably get to the final tocks, kinda depends on how many people you pop them with I guess.

WoC and Reisen HELMs => Hard to get 10k even with buffs, on some mobs you kinda need temps. Can totally get to the final tocks unless the mob is erasing helixes (like Vinipata etc).

So basically for type-1 situations it kinda doesn't matter whatever you do (unless we're talking about a monster you're solo-kiting?)
For type-2 situations It's probably better to use JSE cape most of the time.
For type-3 situations more often than not you won't be easily reaching 10k without many pre-requisites.

So in light of this it doesn't seem like there's a lot of situations where you can realistically gain benefit from the JSE cape, which kinda means it has a very nichey use now compared to the Ambu one?
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-03 08:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nichey isnt a word. This is all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2016-08-21 16:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just been getti g back in game past week. Anyone have info on base stats of weather two spells? Are helix 2 spells any good, and I noticed front page but that really outdated for most gear since soa.

So any gear in tbe new abby thing or unity I should try to get.

Got to admit its funny to see many schs in skill chaining sets. I used to be looked down upon for doing it.
First Page 2 3 ... 47 48 49 ... 99 100 101