A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 48 49 50 ... 99 100 101
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2016-08-21 17:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What's a skillchaining set? lol
 Asura.Krystela
Server: Asura
By Asura.Krystela 2016-08-21 17:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Hiep said: »
What's a skillchaining set? lol
At first I thought the gears with skillchain bonus on it, but I think he means MB gears.
 Shiva.Eldelphia
user: eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-08-25 09:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay - newly returned player who used to love SCH and is struggling to work everything out. What's SCH's main role now and what's expected of them in a CP party? Is it predominantly to set up skillchains and MB them? Are they still valued in their healing role?
 Asura.Brennski
user: Ogri
By Asura.Brennski 2016-08-25 09:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

In Apex on SCH I would generally buff(Haste, AoE Regen 5, AoE Phalanx, AoE Storms), Heal and sit in Light Arts and toss out T3MBs on mobs if I saw BLMings were Aspiring to help kill the mob.

You can buff and heal easily in AoE Groups as well.

SCH can also just straight up MB on Apex Crabs if you have a MB Set.

In Endgame SCHs are generally used to set up SCs for BLMs to MB, occasionally MBing themselves and often MBing a Helix for as close to 10k as possible.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-25 09:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Brennski said: »
In Apex on SCH I would generally buff(Haste, AoE Regen 5, AoE Phalanx, AoE Storms), Heal and sit in Light Arts and toss out T3MBs on mobs if I saw BLMings were Aspiring to help kill the mob.

You can buff and heal easily in AoE Groups as well.

SCH can also just straight up MB on Apex Crabs if you have a MB Set.

In Endgame SCHs are generally used to set up SCs for BLMs to MB, occasionally MBing themselves and often MBing a Helix for as close to 10k as possible.

This is 100% right, you noticed almost all the strats are spent on enhanching perp/accesion spells, This is a great reason to work on an enhancing duration set. If your buffs are lasting 10+ minutes think about what a benefit you are going to be to not only yourself but your party. CP parties BLM should be nuking in Spae Coat+1, if they get low on MP Mykr should be their answer. If I see a BLM aspiring mobs to maintain MP, all I think is
A. That aspir could of been a t5/6 nuke
B. They just dont care to be efficient (thats fine not everyone is serious about CP)
C. They just dont know how to properly gear for the situation.

I think AOE Regen5 with Perp/Access is one of the most powerful things in this game, especially when you are talking 12+ minute duration from a stack enhancing set
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 10:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Brennski got it right about what SCH does in endgame currently, couldn't have said it better.
Of course SCH can do so much more on easier content, but I guess the same applies to a lot of jobs.

If you have to gear your SCH I'm not sure what your priorities should be. It kinda depends on who's gonna help and which other jobs you have available to go with your friends farming gear for your SCH.

1) Weapons: You need to get a good ilevel weapon asap. Akademos is the best for SCH, not sure you should even bother to use SCH before you get Akademos but if you want I guess uh... eminent staff from sparks? Better than nothing. Or the newly added Argosy staff if you have 50 Job Points already on SCH (required to equip it)

2) Gear: AF/Relic/Empy armor
There used to be many useful pieces within these 3 sets, but not anymore. Can still find a use for many of them as "entry pieces" but honestly if you're a returning player it's gonna be so much effort to farm all the necessary stuff, that such effort is better spent trying to farm even better armor pieces (Merlinic!)
A couple of these AF/Relic/Empy pieces are still useful but for very niche use (Boosting Sublimation, Regen Potency, Boosting Stormsurge, etc). Out of them the most useful one is probably Pedagogy Pants+1, boosting Tabula Rasa duration by ~30 seconds.

3) If you can manage to get them fast until the end of the month by farming Ambuscade, try to get as many Jhakri pieces as you can, or even Jhakri+1. None of them are "Best in Slot" pieces, but some are really nice and can be a really fast-to-obtain entry set for your nukes, idle refresh and various other purposes until you get better gear (Merlinic!)

4) Another armor set you can farm is the Amalric Attire set. You need a cursed item (which you can make a friend craft or buy for gil on AH) and an Abjuration (that drops from NMs in Escha Ru'aun). Hands are mandatory for your nukes, so you might as well get them now, even if they're just NQ. The other pieces are nice but if you can obtain Jhakri+1 honestly I wouldn't bother too much about NQ Amalric.
Don't forget Amalric set can be augmented (fixed augments), can see the 4 different possible augments of each Amalric item in This page

5) You're also gonna need Jewelry. A safe thing you can buy from AH is Mujin Band, kinda mandatory for nukes. Then Acumen Ring is a cheap (comes from spark) and decent entry-level nuking ring. There's another very cool earring (Barkarole) that can be obtained from a quest and another (Friomisi) which you can buy on AH. As for capes the best is the one that comes from Ambuscade, can get it at the same time as you farm your Jhakri pieces :) If you really want something to use before that you can go for a cheap Toro Cape or a Seshaw cape if you need further Magic Burst bonus to reach the cap of 40%. (yes, one of your priorities should be that of getting as close as possible to the 40% cap for your nuke midcast). Last jewelries you'll need are Neck (need to farm one from the Tenzen High Tier Battlefield BC, meanwhile you can use Sanctity Necklace droping from Quentzacoatl, Domain Invasion wyrm battle in Reisenjima zone). Last but not least belt. I don't know what to suggest here, other than Obis for nukes (you will have to farm all 8 obis and then "merge" them into the new obi through Synergy, can have a friend do that) and Acuity Belt+1? Easy drop from Unity NMs, and one of the best belts for Helix I think.
I forgot about ammo. The best is Pamphredo Tathlum from Reisenjima, until then there's a few nice ammos you can buy on AH or even one you can get from Unity (Ghastly Tathlum +1 if I remember the name?)
Oh and I also forgot about the grip. Ungh, there's many here, I'm sure you can pick the ones you like most. A decent one comes from the Leviathan BC which gets spammed quite often so that would be a fast and easy to obtain grip.

6) You'll probably need other sets as well. A set focusing on Fast cast to use as you precast gear. Then a cure potency set reaching 50% CP bonus for your healing spells midcast. Then probably another set focusing on Magic Accuracy for your enfeebling sets. Jhakri set is already a pretty good starting point for magic accuracy honestly. From there you can go unto Chironic and whatever else you find having more macc/stats.

7) There's also the Enhancing Magic duration set, like discussed in the other thread and here.
I think this is incredibly useful, but then again I'm not sure I would go for that before I have other more basic sets, but that's up to you of course!

I surely forgot many other useful items/sets but I think this gives you a pretty comprehensive guide on what you can expect to be doing for the next weeks! Numbers are kinda random, not priority order.
[+]
By napup 2016-08-25 13:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question: does Kaustra DOT effect stack with the ones from helices?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 14:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It does :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-08-25 14:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It does, but it does normal DoT damage, DoT/tick (every 2-3 seconds), versus Helix spells doing DoT/tock (every 7-8 seconds)

Quote:
I think AOE Regen5 with Perp/Access is one of the most powerful things in this game, especially when you are talking 12+ minute duration from a stack enhancing set

How are you getting 12+ minutes from Regen 5. It's base duration is 108 seconds.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 15:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

40% from Head/Body/Legs/Feet Telchine augment.
12% from Telchine body.
12% from Coeus.
15% from Lugh's Cape.

There's also another additional duration bonus if Tabula Rasa is up.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-25 16:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

no tabula

tabula almost 14 min
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 16:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my reg, no Tabula either.

By eliroo 2016-08-25 16:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Regen V durations = 168 w/ Gifts

Telchine is a second bonus, we can assume Coeus and Lugh's cape are.
168+15+12+12 = 207

Assuming Perpetuance is after telchine augs

207*1.4*2.55 = 12.31 Minutes.

But that is without know exactly how everything works. 12 minutes most definitely makes sense when you consider the 60 seconds you get from Gifts.

On a side note wouldn't you cast in the Empy head though for the extra 10 per tick?
By BlaTheTaru 2016-08-25 16:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eldelphia said: »
Okay - newly returned player who used to love SCH and is struggling to work everything out. What's SCH's main role now and what's expected of them in a CP party? Is it predominantly to set up skillchains and MB them? Are they still valued in their healing role?

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mischief17/videos you can check out what a real sch is doing these days. Way better than this floating moogle I know.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-25 16:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
On a side note wouldn't you cast in the Empy head though for the extra 10 per tick?
I have a potency and duration set, toggle with gearswap.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 17:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Nope, I have 2 Regen sets.
One with potency (Bolelabunga, Bookworm's Cape, Arbatel's Bonnet+1)
One with duration (Coeus, Lugh's Cape, Telchine head)

13 mins with the duration set, like 9 or 10 with the potency iir
No Tabula.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-08-26 11:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok. That's my mistake. I thought I had read somewhere that Telchine augments were a straight time enhancement. Like Duration +10 added 10 seconds, not 10%.
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
Server: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2016-08-26 11:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said:
I have a potency and duration set, toggle with gearswap.

mind sharing how/where that goes in the .lua please?
By Antisense 2016-08-26 12:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't get 13 minute duration without Tabula Rasa unless there is another factor not considered. "Enhancing magic duration" is like Composure and is separate from the Perpetuance effect.

Given Light Arts active, 20/20 JP, Lugh's Cape, Coeus, 4/5 Telchine pieces enhancing magic duration +10 (sans hands), Arbatel Bracers +1:

(60+48+12+12+15+60)(2.55)(1.40) = 738.99 seconds => approx 12 minutes, 18 seconds (rounding down to nearest second)

To get 13 minutes with above the Telchine multiplier has to be 1.5, which you can't get with hands, but if you use Grioavolr, you're not using Coeus.
By Verda 2016-08-26 12:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also use Oranyan or a Griovalr with enhancing duration 10 or (possibly) dw 2 gada with that same augment for enhancing duration 20. I'm not sure it gets higher than 7 for grio aug, but heard it can get to 10, 7 is just the highest I've seen someone have. Not sure if that will give you 13 min, but that's the only thing I see missing.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-08-26 12:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cap on Grio is 10. Cap on Gada is probably 5 (to avoid doing what you suggested and get +20 duration). Not completely sure on Gada cap, but that's the most me and a couple friends have seen.
By Antisense 2016-08-26 12:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Then Gada x2 +10 with everything else maxed out is the only way to get 13 minutes without 1 hr

195 seconds "base" with Lugh's cape and Telchine and 20/20 JP

2.55 Perpetuance multiplier

1.60 enhancing magic duration multiplier with 4/5 Telchine, Gada x2

195*2.55*1.60 = 795.6 => ~13 minutes, 15 seconds

If you can't get over +5 on Gada, then there is some other factor unaccounted for re: 13 minute duration
By Nocki 2016-08-26 12:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Cap on Grio is 10. Cap on Gada is probably 5 (to avoid doing what you suggested and get +20 duration). Not completely sure on Gada cap, but that's the most me and a couple friends have seen.
I haven't seen more than 5 either, on Gada or Colada so I assume the 1 handed cap is 5.

Antisense said: »
Then Gada x2 +10 with everything else maxed out is the only way to get 13 minutes without 1 hr

195 seconds "base" with Lugh's cape and Telchine and 20/20 JP

2.55 Perpetuance multiplier

1.60 enhancing magic duration multiplier with 4/5 Telchine, Gada x2

195*2.55*1.60 = 795.6 => ~13 minutes, 15 seconds

If you can't get over +5 on Gada, then there is some other factor unaccounted for re: 13 minute duration

Is Coeus not 12%, but rather 12 seconds?
By Antisense 2016-08-26 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Coeus is 12 seconds, so if you had Coeus on top of everything else, your "base" duration would be 207 seconds with Light Arts + 20/20 JP.

60 (duration for Regen V) + 12 (Telchine Chasuble) + 12 (Coeus) + 15 (Lugh's Cape) + 60 (20/20 JP) + 48 (Light Arts active) = 207
By Verda 2016-08-26 12:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hm ya Coeus probably is best, Sechs listed it above.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-26 14:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure (I tested it long time ago and posted results over these boards) but I seem to recall Coeus is a % bonus, not a fixed value of +12 seconds.

Oranyan might be better if what I keep reading is true.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-08-26 15:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
RegenIndex = 0 -- 0=Duration 1=Potency

if spell.english =='Regen V' and RegenIndex==1 then
				equipSet = set_combine(equipSet,sets.Potency)

Then just bind a key to toggle RegenIndex 0 duration (default) 1 = Potency
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
Server: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2016-08-26 15:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks
By Pantafernando 2016-08-26 16:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
no tabula

tabula almost 14 min

what addon/plugin are you using to show the buff duration?
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-08-26 17:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
what addon/plugin are you using to show the buff duration?

/statustimer on/off
First Page 2 3 ... 48 49 50 ... 99 100 101