New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 92 93 94 ... 446 447 448
By Ophannus 2014-05-09 11:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to get rid of Blazing Bound, Barbed Crescent and Mortal Ray in favor of of newer spells. I belive new spells will cost 6-8 points though given that soon the cap will be lifted on Job Points and that will allow BLU to gain +30 Blue Points. Since we're limited by Slots, the only recourse is for SE to add newer, more powerful spells that require more Blue Points to counteract BLU's getting more points. Would be nice if they could give BLUs like 5 more slots.

Actually now that we're going to eventually be getting 30 Blue Points from Job Points down the road, maybe they can change Assimilation to give Spell Slots instead of Blue Points.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-14 05:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

updated the lua linked in the OP if anyone uses it
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-14 05:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Zubrin said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
who has a fully augmented delve2 sword? need you to do something for me when you have time, my sub is expired and won't be renewed until the may update, but I need to check something regarding the base damage of this thing. Only takes a couple minutes

I have one of each for A and B, if that matters. I'd be happy to help test whatever.

didn't see this until just now. It's an easy test, can use either one of the swords. Go to ronfaure and hit the rabbits outside of the gate. Kill about 100 of them and give me the highest damage crit and highest damage normal hit that you get from it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-15 00:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

seems like traits work on a pretty easy to read point system. most, or all, of them seem to be 8 points per tier.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-05-15 07:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya im confused too.....Prothescaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr I summon u!
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-05-15 07:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Its STP+4 and resist silence+8.

The help text they added was for the effect of the trait not how many points are needed for the trait at least thats what it looks like in the update notes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Alvinho
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Alvinho
By Quetzalcoatl.Alvinho 2014-05-15 07:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No.

The help text indicates how many points are needed for each tier of the spell, using the number in parenthesis in the spell's help text to designate a point value for the new tier system (8 for level 1, 16 for level 2, and 24 for level 3).

If you notice all the DW spells have a (4) next to them. So if you set two of them (8), you get tier 1 DW. If you set four of them (16), you get tier 2 DW. Same with all 6 (24), tier 3 DW.

Fantod (4) + Sudden Lunge (4) = Store TP (tier 1) with (8).

It basically makes it easier to set the desired traits without having to look at an outside source. I can't even remember how many times I've needed to reduce a DW tier or downgrade TA to DA, and have to check outside of the game which spells give which trait.
By Ophannus 2014-05-15 10:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Mizu. Neck from Tenzen compare to Eddy Necklace for like Sanguine Blade/Magic Hammer/Retinal Glare/Random Charged Whisker or Thunder Bolt for ohsh*t need magic dmg?

INT+4 MND+4
MAB+8
Magic Burst DMG+5(could be nice for self SC light and MBing with Magic Hamma or my favorite when I'm soloing Salvage: Req>Quad for Darkness and MB with Evryone's Grudge for 8k)

vs
M.acc+1
MAB+11
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 10:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i generally gear by purpose. if the additional effect is the purpose of casting like sudden lunge or retinal glare, i gear for accuracy. if the goal is damage, i gear for damage. i also have a magic damage and raw stat set for elemental nukes, depending on whether i use burst affinity or not.
By Ophannus 2014-05-15 10:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

***just realized BLU can't use Mizukage-no-Kubikazari
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-15 16:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

it's exactly how auto refresh works. not particularly complex, they've made it very easy to understand by having every tier/trait metamorphosis set at 8 points. so 8 points to get the first tier, another 8 points for the second, etc.

8 Attack Bonus + 4 Attack Bonus + 4 Attack Bonus = Attack Bonus 2

4 DA + 4 DA = DA trait

4 DA + 4 DA + 4 DA + 4 DA = TA trait
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 16:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

da and ta traits are the same potency as the unmeritted primary job traits, right?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-15 16:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

no, BLU DA is only 7%. TA is the same though.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 16:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

ah ok, i remembered there being something different.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-15 16:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fast Cast is weaker too, first tier is 5%, second 10%
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 17:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

unless you're /mage other than rdm i see little use for it besides /nin solo. who casts on blu these days?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-05-15 17:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I use /nin for the hard mode battles and I still cast things on BLU for support.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 17:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, but in a party you will likely have marches for recast and are less likely to be the target. it's probably a waste to set a meaningful fastcast trait over offensive traits.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-05-15 17:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I don't often set fast cast.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-05-15 20:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Offensive spells are still pretty effective when fighting fodder.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-15 20:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I could set fastcast. It really is nice to cast faster. But no, I very very rarely ever set it and it's still super depressing that our traits are gimp...

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-17 15:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Nikia said: »
Was wondering since so much free space now can play around with sets more, would Impatiens in FastCast precast set be worth the loot or not?

Yes and no, you don't want to use it for precast on things like utsusemi: ichi or spells where you need a skill set for midcast.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-17 15:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

unless you're using gearswap, in which case it doesn't really matter. can put it in any spell for the small -spell interrupt chance and not have to bother making separate rules for problem spells
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By fillerbunny9 2014-05-17 18:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

where does Mimesis fit in amongst the Sword options? I presume if you have Anahera Saber/Buramenk'ah you're already better off? or does it fit in somewhere between those and fully augmented Usonmunkus?
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-05-17 18:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends (of course). Bura/Mimesis will do better overall damage than Uso(dex assumed)/Bura as long as acc is fine. The +MND and STR (for fStr) will eclipse the +D on Uso for REQ. Obviously physical casting and magical casting (along with sanguine blade) will be a stronger on Mimesis. However if you are not capped on acc, the Uso(dex) will win. I would pick whichever is easiest for you to complete (cost is going to be similar overall). Nothing that's totally game breaking one way or the other.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-17 19:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just get Uson, more efficient expenditure of resources. Useful in a far wider range of activities (unless all you do is fight fodder weak enough for physical magic to be applicable a majority of the time).

Going from Uson -> Mimesis
Base D: 135 -> 128 (-5 ~ -7 for DEX, -7 ~ -9 for STR)
Delay: 231 -> 236 (+5, negligible both ways)
Accuracy: -12 ~ -13 ACC for DEX; +3 ~ +4 ACC for STR
Attack: +7 ~ +8 ATK for DEX; -8 ~ -9 ATK for STR

Req Base Damage: +1 ~ +3 for DEX, +2 ~ +/-0 for STR
CDC Base Damage: -3 ~ -5 for DEX, -1 ~ -2 for STR

Very minor base damage increase for Req if we consider DEX Uson, even more minor if considering STR Uson (especially when attack is taken into account). Even more minor, possibly even inferior (though unlikely), when you consider that both the main and offhand hits will have lower base sword damage due to wearing Mimesis in offhand compared to mainhanding a Uson and offhanding a Bura; i.e., 5 hits, before multihit, are affected by Uson's superior base damage compared to Bura; all six hits, before multihit, are affected by Mimesis' higher WSC, but also by the combined lower sword base damage of Bura and Mimesis.

Mimesis is flat out worse for CDC. Sanguine Blade is Sanguine Blade. Shouldn't be using it all that often, and it's normally sufficient for its purpose when you do need to use it regardless of the extra INT, MND, and STR on Mimesis.

This leave's Mimesis' main advantage as being better than either Uson for physical magic, this varies depending on spell; some will have more gained from Mimesis while others will gain very little compared to a STR or DEX Uson. Physical magic is almost entirely ineffective, however, so this advantage is limited. STR or DEX Uson (DEX being best to make first) are better investments as long as you don't only use BLU for fighting things that are EM or lower (at which point I'm not even sure I'd bother spending money on either sword, especially if you already have Anahera saber and Buramenk'ah, but that's your call).

For off and Main hands:

Capped ACC on targets between VT and IT+++++++++++~:
Uson STR > Buramenk'ah* > Mimesis** > Anahera Saber > Other things

Uncapped ACC on targets between VT and IT+++++++++~:
Uson DEX > Buramenk'ah* > Mimesis** > Anahera Saber > Other things

Targets between TW and T:
Mimesis** > Uson STR > Uson DEX > Buramenk'ah* > Anahera Saber > Other things

*Always a better offhand than a second Uson or Uson/Mimesis unless accuracy is so severely impaired that you make great use of the ACC from a second DEX Uson.

**Offhand with Bura or something. Mainhanding would be a DPS loss. This is assuming the use of physical spells on applicable targets, which creates a very small gap between Uson and Mimesis.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-17 20:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »
Depends (of course). Bura/Mimesis will do better overall damage than Uso(dex assumed)/Bura as long as acc is fine. The +MND and STR (for fStr) will eclipse the +D on Uso for REQ. Obviously physical casting and magical casting (along with sanguine blade) will be a stronger on Mimesis. However if you are not capped on acc, the Uso(dex) will win. I would pick whichever is easiest for you to complete (cost is going to be similar overall). Nothing that's totally game breaking one way or the other.

I personally gear towards higher end content where accuracy is important and use Dex Uson Main Hand, and Bura in Off Hand.

But I predominantly only use blu for VT~IT++ Content.
First Page 2 3 ... 92 93 94 ... 446 447 448