The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 445 446 447
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2014-04-07 20:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like the sword would be good if you are in a situation where you can cast for damage. It covers a lot of bases.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-07 20:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sword's bad until it becomes really, really cheap. better off investing in one or two airlixir swords instead. Store TP/ATK/ACC ammo is great. STR belt is good. Rest I haven't looked at very much but looked gross from a glance.

and i'm not arguing this stuff every month, so don't expect replies anymore. i respect doctorugh's opinion, but i'm not changing the gear structure of the guide. if people need help with specific events they can ask, but I haven't the time or motivation to build and maintain the dozens of sets that would be required for what you're on about. instead i'll keep the 3 tiers of gear for each category with a set comprising of accuracy pieces. as it has been. as it will remain. period. It helps a wider range of people, and that's the purpose of this guide. It isn't here to tell people the exact sets to wear for all 5 of the AAs and ***and nothing else.

I do take offense to other things, but I'm willing to ignore those.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2014-04-07 21:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't mean to imply that it was worth getting over something else. Just that it was hypothetically good it it's own right. Easier/cheaper stuff that's nearly on par would be the more practical choice.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-07 22:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Anytime new gear comes out there is part of me that hopes for something awesome to fill in the holes or consolidate some gear to save space but another part that hopes it's all crap so I don't have to do a 180 on my current targets and re-evaluate my entire setup.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-04-07 22:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That sword sucks lol, better luck next time I guess.
[+]
By Rikudousennin 2014-04-17 09:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me Prothescar. How are you doing today? I have read your guide about Blue mage. I must say it has been very very helpful to me and my linkshell. Since we are a low manpower guild at the moment is it possible for you if you want to click on my page and check out the gear I use. And if possible you can inform me on which items to replace. I only have 2 million in game, but I am willing to spend as much as possible to gear myself better to lead my linkshell. If you can't help it's fine because you have already been most helpful. Thank you for your help and guide on Blue Mage.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 11:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Rikudousennin said: »
Excuse me Prothescar. How are you doing today? I have read your guide about Blue mage. I must say it has been very very helpful to me and my linkshell. Since we are a low manpower guild at the moment is it possible for you if you want to click on my page and check out the gear I use. And if possible you can inform me on which items to replace. I only have 2 million in game, but I am willing to spend as much as possible to gear myself better to lead my linkshell. If you can't help it's fine because you have already been most helpful. Thank you for your help and guide on Blue Mage.
Your gear isn't visible but if you'll post your sets that'd be better, I'm sure a few people can help.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2014-04-17 11:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Prothescar's suggestions are on the first post, of course. Other people would probably be willing to put in suggestions on a priority of replacement for you or something like that. Most people aren't as forum active in as many different areas as Proth so have way more time for stuff like that.
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 15:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why it's not showing, but when I get home I'll post my armor that I am wearing
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 17:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how to post the box, so I'll write my equipment. Main Hand is a Eminent Scimitar. Sub Hand is Predatrice, Ammo Mavi Tathlum, Wayfarer armor set, Earrings are Astral Earring and Suppanomimi, Neck is Cuamiz Collar, Back is Atheling Mantle, Waist is Windbuffet Belt, and Rings are Serket Ring and Astral Ring.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 18:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Rikudosennin said: »
I don't know how to post the box, so I'll write my equipment. Main Hand is a Eminent Scimitar. Sub Hand is Predatrice, Ammo Mavi Tathlum, Wayfarer armor set, Earrings are Astral Earring and Suppanomimi, Neck is Cuamiz Collar, Back is Atheling Mantle, Waist is Windbuffet Belt, and Rings are Serket Ring and Astral Ring.

Here's your current set:

ItemSet 322540

Is this a full time set or a TP set? Like you just wear this for everything and don't swap gear? If it is a full time, the first thing you need to work on is getting more gear so you can swap to various sets for different things. That is the main priority.

For gear:

#1. Never wear mp gear, it's a waste of inventory space. If it happens to be on it, cool, but mp has 0 affect on your damage output.

#2. work on COP and get a rajas ring. Get Epona's ring. Even if you can't get either right away, at least get an accuracy ring or attack or str or something but mp does nothing.

#3. I'm not sure if you can get access to Delve clears or have any points but an asperity necklace would do a great deal more than your current neck. But even a chivalrous chain would be better than Cuamiz.

#4. The Wayfarer's set is probably not as good for dd as espial. I'll have to check the total set when I have more time.

#5. Ammo isn't helping. Get a cheruski needle or at least something with STR or attack or Acc for now.

#6. You aren't capping haste. Until you are, twilight (or any haste belt to be honest) is going to be better. So drop Windbuffet for a haste belt. You need 6 haste to cap.

#7. While not completely awful, your swords should be a primary focus on improving. You can work on getting any sword better than the two you have. Usonmunku/Buramenk'ah/Anahera Saber/Itaasu +2 and even a Xiutleato is better than your off hand. You'll need a delve clear for Buramenk'ah or Usonmunku. Anahera is kinda hard to get but is from Ark angels. Itaasu is from skirmish.

Good luck.
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 20:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a Itassu sword with me right now. I'll use the Espial set or I can look on the AH and get some mix and match gear. Earrings I'll change right now for some. how did you do that to make it show just like that? Yes this is my full time set. I am trying to work on getting the armor pieces Prosthecar has in his guide. I am 0/1 with Epona's Ring.
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 20:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Seku is there a way I can contact you right now to help with gear choices from the AH?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 20:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a Itassu sword with me right now. I'll use the Espial set or I can look on the AH and get some mix and match gear. Earrings I'll change right now for some. how did you do that to make it show just like that? Yes this is my full time set. I am trying to work on getting the armor pieces Prosthecar has in his guide. I am 0/1 with Epona's Ring.

You have to create a set. If you click on the "Item sets" on the right drop down menu under your character picture. Once in there, make a new set, open it up and start adding items.

The Itaasu NQ is pretty worthless, the +1 is better than your off hand and the +2 will be quite good for a while for you if you can get it but it does require Ra'kaznar skirmish.

You'll want to make it a priority to start developing some sets. A TP and WS set will be the most important thing. Keep your Wayfarer set for use with Requescat as it's fairly decent for a starter set for it. But full timing gear is pretty terrible and creating sets will massively improve your ability to DD and function as a good character.

Making Prothe's sets your goal is good, though many of them are rather difficult to get so some lower tier placeholders will be needed until you can get the skill/manpower/gil to get improved gear.

It'll probably be difficult or at least expensive to find a set better on the AH than Espial. If you break the set, you'll need to make it worth the dps loss of loosing the set bonus.

I'd have to look further in to it as I'm pretty far beyond that point and haven't looked at any calculations.

Seku is there a way I can contact you right now to help with gear choices from the AH?

You can feel free to post here whenever, or PM me or skype if you want, though it'll be limited to chat as I have screaming babies running around atm.
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 20:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I keep the Predatrice as my main or use the Iztaasu?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 20:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Eminent should be your main. As for off hand. If your Iztaasu is NQ, then don't bother, your Predatrice is better. If it's +1 then it'll beat Predatrice for your off hand.

If it's +2 then you'll main hand it and off hand Eminent.

Weapon is pretty easy. Generally, you can look at the damage on the weapon and use what is highest in your main and the second highest as your off hand. Second important stat is the Sword skill. The higher the better.

Now this is excluding quite a few factors but at the point you are at, there isn't really much guess work, the highest damage ones are best.
 Phoenix.Rikudosennin
By Phoenix.Rikudosennin 2014-04-17 20:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

atm my house is loud so skype will help me so much my name is kurairyu1 picture is of Kirito from SAO
By fillerbunny9 2014-04-21 02:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

not to be a pain in the ***, but wouldn't Toro Cape be a more ideal back slot when it comes to Sanguine Blade? at the very least for its ease of acquisition compared to Taubran. (I think I spent 50k on mine on AH to use it for Quick Draw/Wildfire) does Magic Accuracy actually affect the weaponskill?
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-04-21 04:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
not to be a pain in the ***, but wouldn't Toro Cape be a more ideal back slot when it comes to Sanguine Blade? at the very least for its ease of acquisition compared to Taubran. (I think I spent 50k on mine on AH to use it for Quick Draw/Wildfire) does Magic Accuracy actually affect the weaponskill?
I believe Cornflower Cape does alot better for Sanguine Blade if you can get one, if not then Toro Cape easily since all jobs will benefit from this
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-21 08:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cornflower is like sanguine blade crack, it has everything. The ws has these mods: dInt2, a 50% mnd mod and a 30% str mod and as a magical ws is affected by mab.

So you get 5 str 5 int 5 mnd and 15 mab which all go towards helping damage. Toro has 3 more int, and while int is important, you loose 5 str 5 mnd and 5 mab. Cornflower is undisputed here.

It's also not that hard to get a cape anymore. If you aren't lucky enough to get it directly as a drop, you can trade in 3 capes to get it and it's way more useful than toro too as it is used with physical spells as well as for macc.
By fillerbunny9 2014-04-21 13:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

oh I have Cornflower already, I was more just questioning whether there was something I was missing about Taubran being the next best thing, where if you didn't do meebles, things are a bit more obnoxious to obtain.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-02 03:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The applicable job trait gained when setting a blue magic spell will display in the help text along with its accompanying value.

The following job traits will become incrementally more potent depending on the total of set blue magic job trait values displayed in the help text.

Physical Attack Bonus / Defense Bonus / Evasion Bonus / Accuracy Bonus / Magic Atk. Bonus / Magic Def. Bonus / Conserve MP

so can get acc bonus III and atk bonus IV for the low, low price of like half your points and set slots
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-05-02 07:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My thoughts exactly, Proth. was hoping they'd reduce cost of dual wield our something. Free up some slots.
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2014-05-02 12:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hoping that they increase the set points expansion from job points from 10 to 30, and also add in a category for additional set slots. Then we can fit these in without loosing the traits we are accustomed to.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-02 12:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
I'm hoping that they increase the set points expansion from job points from 10 to 30, and also add in a category for additional set slots. Then we can fit these in without loosing the traits we are accustomed to.

For the first time, I find myself running out of space to set spells before spell points. We either need more slots or some cheaper traits. Ex: DW3 shouldn't require 6 spells at this point in the game.
[+]
By tennotsukai87 2014-05-03 15:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm betting newer spells will be 1 spell traits for dw and da/ta.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-03 16:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither, they have said they intend to add more spells, but nothing more than that.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-08 17:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

who has a fully augmented delve2 sword? need you to do something for me when you have time, my sub is expired and won't be renewed until the may update, but I need to check something regarding the base damage of this thing. Only takes a couple minutes
By Zubrin 2014-05-08 21:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
who has a fully augmented delve2 sword? need you to do something for me when you have time, my sub is expired and won't be renewed until the may update, but I need to check something regarding the base damage of this thing. Only takes a couple minutes

I have one of each for A and B, if that matters. I'd be happy to help test whatever.
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 445 446 447