2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 307 308 309 ... 446 447 448
By Afania 2016-08-15 16:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Snaps said: »
I think the original context of this was for cleaving, in which case you don't have a tank or anything. I've never used BLU nukes for anything other than cleaving.

I was replying Oraen, with the way he worded it(prolonged fight, relying for selected element for a fight) it sounds like none cleaving pt to me.

I did include cleaving situation though, RUN and COR are still 2 jobs regularly get invite to cleave pt as puller and buffers. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my experience recast doesn't matter as much when cleaving fodder anywaysl. I see recast really being an issue when fighting an NM or something.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-08-15 17:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I did include cleaving situation though, RUN and COR are still 2 jobs regularly get invite to cleave pt as puller and buffers. Correct me if I'm wrong, from my experience recast doesn't matter as much when cleaving fodder anywaysl. I see recast really being an issue when fighting an NM or something.

You're correct.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-15 17:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

My experience with cleaving is much different then. There's only 1, maybe 2 cleavers and no support. The rest are all leeching CP on some other job. We have several top notch cleaving BLU so we just swap on who is cleaving and leeching. I'm usually riding Tenebral Crush/Spectral Floe timer (one shots are awesome) with the occasional Entomb -> Anvil Lightning. I've only had a RUN puller once, and a GEO follow me around once too. Having Indi-Haste for faster recasts was amazing. I'm actually considering making a 20 INT 20 magic damage 10 haste ambuscade cape because I didn't realize my cleaving gear was so far from capped haste.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-08-15 17:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to drop this here because I keep hearing entry level set for the new Amb set and if anything it is an amazing high macc set and not really far behide at all even as your goto set. I listed coupel options because I know recast timers...

Set1: Full Ambucade + MAB Cape
Set2: Herc Head/NQ Almaric
Differences: +28INT -13MAB +65Macc -4Haste -12FC

Set3: Full Ambucade + Haste Cape (You could swap the Belt to a lot of options.)
Differences: +28INT -23MAB +65Macc +2Haste -12FC

Note: Made a typo on FC in the screenshot since I didn't have it auto =sum for me on FC like the rest.

P.S. There is MDMG 10 on Almaric Feet but it barely does anything.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2016-08-17 11:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What are the best leg/feet options? I could just make amlaric as I think I have the abjs (was mildly holding out the pipe dream of hq, but made Almace instead).

Right now I'm still using Hagondes (or however you spell them from Skirmish) with a huge MAB augment on them, they've got north of 50mab total and come with magic damage + on them base. I had been using the empy +1 feet but I think the ambu+1 feet are better slightly.

Is Amlaric in all slots really better? Seems close (I already use hands and body with herc head).
 Asura.Sabishii
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2016-08-17 12:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Amlaric NQ in all slots but head (herc head with good augments can top amlaric coif) are the best (excluding amlaric +1 set). I don't see ambuscade +1 set beating amlaric NQ. Especially with the lack of haste on the ambuscade set for recasts on the big nukes.
By iambatman3131 2016-08-17 13:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Other than the haste (3 almaric, 1 on Jhak +1 )for reacast, and conserve mp +6, the Jhak +1 body beats NQ almaric.
[+]
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2016-08-17 13:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The body also has the lowest haste loss in switching from Amalric to Jhakri (from 3 to 1 with no difference in Fast Cast).

Any other slot has a 3 haste loss. Herc would be a 4 haste loss, 5 for head, and of course Herc Head and Amalric Head/Feet have decent amounts of Fast Cast on em.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2016-08-17 13:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I could see the case for amalric over my hagondes pants +1 as the hago real only advantage is about 7mab and 10 magic dmg but losing in 15 macc and 8 int. (less int/macc difference if I have int/macc augments, which I cant recall right now)

But.. Piece for piece, take a look at the feet
Almaric NQ (macc/mab/mp path) vs Jhakri +1

Jhakri has the below vs Almaric nails
+9 int
-1 mab
-3 haste
+21 Macc
-10 mag dmg
-5 fast cast
+5 magic burst

To me they look like a superior nukeing option for blu hands down, but have the downside the loss of 3% haste and 5 fast cast.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-17 13:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm think Jhakri +1 beats Amalric NQ in regards to raw damage for all slots (the INT delta makes up for the small MAB delta). That said, haste/fast cast are important for recast, so NQ amalric is definitely superior for cleaving in my eyes.
By FaeQueenCory 2016-08-17 14:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste can be made up pretty easy with the belt slot, so it's almost a nonissue.

The real pain with Jakri for BLU is the lack of HP and the lower defensive stats.
And to a relative extent the lack of MP too.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2016-08-17 14:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Haste can be made up pretty easy with the belt slot, so it's almost a nonissue.

The real pain with Jakri for BLU is the lack of HP and the lower defensive stats.
And to a relative extent the lack of MP too.

I dont think many are full timing the gear with gearswaps. Precast sets ensure you have all that fast cast before the spell goes off and then the casting set for when it hits then back to whatever idle set you have.

I normally idle in my herc legs/feet and defending ring, etc when not engaged so as soon as my spells go off i'm back in that. Mp doesnt help me either as I dont idle in those.
[+]
By iambatman3131 2016-08-17 14:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just make: 30 INT 20 Mab/Macc 10 haste cape from ambuscade for blu for cleaving if you wanted too as well.

I have been capped JP for a very long time, so i don't cleave much at all.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-17 14:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have capped JP as well, but come campaign time people use my character to cleave themselves JP (fine in my book cause I use theirs for the same purpose.)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-17 15:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The amalric vs jhakri discussion still going when the latter is the clear winner, this is quite funny.

Amalric wins on recast? yes of course but that's it, i dont see many people using nuking blu past the 135lv mark so why all the fuss on the recast?

I've been cleaving on a daily basis since this campaign started and so far, im very happy with the results with the jakhri set, subduction went up to 4 seconds and the big ones went up 8 seconds or so but what's the deal here? This set is stronger and more accurate, gives a major boost if u were using amalric x4 and herc head with decent augments, has more INT and also works for sanguine blade, debuffs, added effects, refresh 3 body that doesnt cost 400M and i could keep going.

Best ambuscade set up to date imo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-08-17 17:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The extra magic accuracy is nigh irrelevant for nuking BLU-friendly targets. Amalric is more than sufficient in that regard.

Shrugging off the hit to recast makes no sense to me. If you're not riding your Floe/Crush timers then you can probably find a better way to cleave. I have my alt following me with Indi-Haste when I cleave, and I definitely notice a difference if I forget and let it drop. Sacrificing gear haste would only exacerbate that. I don't have +1 abjs so no oneshots, but I double up with a -ra on my alt so it's effectively the same. If you can't oneshot or don't have someone backing you up, any extra damage that Jhakri might offer is only relevant if it guarantees you can twoshot with Subduction.

Haven't regularly seen a tank in a cleave party since some time last year, back when most of our group went BLM for cleaving. BLU simply doesn't need a puller. You should be focused on burning mobs down at or near their respawn timers, usually in small groups (5-10 each), and your defensive options (Verve/Phalanx/Stoneskin/DT gear/maybe tacos and/or Cocoon) are more than adequate when moving at that pace. The RUN Snaps mentioned was me, and that was mostly because I needed JP at the time.
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2016-08-17 17:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Spicyryan said:
I have been watching this debate for a couple of weeks now so I asked to chime in.

Seeing as I only play BLU, when I am in a nuking situation like any of the T3s in RuAun or T2s in Reisen, recast matters greatly to me. Most people don't play like this though and just get on SCH or BLM, but I happen to.
A haste waist (to still not cap) is required for me in this case and that irks me and brings the obi into the equation.
People are mentioning making an ambuscade cape with haste to compensate, and honestly I raise a finger to that notion. I find that to be completely ridiculous, and a waste of space. Just like the haste belt, but I can get on board with that.

We have gone from effortlessly capping haste to now receiving no haste at all. SEs way of putting us back in the Zeni era of sidegrades. Outside of idling or macroing these pieces I am unimpressed with this set and find it to be poorly thought up despite people being in love with it. That being said obviously the stats speak for themselves and it is an effective set despite anyone's potential disappointment.

I don't even think about cleaving personally, but apparently everyone else does. I cleaved my way to 1200 on Duluhans, Acuex, and Umbrils in Moh Gates when 1200 was the cap. After that I never did another cleave, CP pt, or ever farmed CP again on BLU all the way to 2100. Aside from that getting merits for fights or silt is trivial with or without Jahkri.
If you are already 1 shotting your targets in a cleave without Jahkri or you are still 2 shotting them with it then this set (defensively weaker, as noted several times by now) doesn't really matter, and if it hurts your recast after that fact then it is effectively garbage.

There is more than power to equipment.

The only debate I care about myself is the overall effectiveness of the equipment while spamming nukes on any escha NM (Genbu, Ironside, Strophadia, take your pick) how to gear to accommodate it, and what is better for those situations. Certainly the magic accuracy plays into it too and not just recast.
I recognize this debate isn't going to occur as people like myself who don't know the math will continue parroting "recast" "recast".

But factoring in the balancing act of finding haste, the gains in macc, situationally using an obi, and recast while spam spell DDing on ~135+ content. What would be the best set to work this be? I am siding with mixing between Jahkri, Amalric, and a Herc helm (helps on haste too) myself, but I like input.

(Not a Carrot)
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-17 19:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well first time i find someone saying macc doesnt matter for a mage job, regardless if it is friendly for its capabilities or not but to each their own.

I usually cleave in reisen flux 5, the camp at the bridge or the lake at 2 (5 must be really crowded for me to go to the lake but it happened), i have to find myself waiting on the recast on the big spells i use (floe, crush and entomb) in this camp which has lots of mosquitos, 2 camps of frogs and beetles at night, 1 of the big 3 + subduction kills any pull i might have now.

I use this:

ItemSet 345408

Always go /rdm with this, buffs i keep are occultation, barrier tusk, cocoon, pro/shell (3 and 2) regeneration and MG.

As i posted earlier, the recasts suffer yea, but for cleaving (and i pull everything rather fast) doesnt bother me much to the point i rotate btw the 3 big nukes + subduction to end pulls.

I agree the set doesnt offer massive defensive capabilities or haste, but any pull i might have behind me is stuck with subduction then finished with a big spell so the chances of being hit are very slim.

About the quote carrotchan posted:

I agree trying to work out the haste combinations sucks if you want to maximize the amount of spells casted for those instances but as he mentioned, MACC comes into play and this set has a ton of it, i guess someone with amalric +1 would have the best of both worlds (jhakri +1 and NQ amalric) but its quite expensive to be asked as must have i think.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-08-17 21:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »
Well first time i find someone saying macc doesnt matter for a mage job
Do you wear full accuracy gear on melee jobs when killing fodder?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-17 21:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Well first time i find someone saying macc doesnt matter for a mage job
Do you wear full accuracy gear on melee jobs when killing fodder?

Nope but i wear full potency and this set has a lot of both so win/win scenario for me.

Besides im not saying "everyone use this because numbers", im just posting my experiences with it, people can try it and if they like the pros and cons of it then use it, if not then amalric x4 and herc head is great as well.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-18 01:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jhakri +1 is not the clear winner. Recast for cleaving is essential, I dunno why you would think otherwise. Even with Amalric HQ (I'm still rotating through all 3 big spells, one shotting doesn't change this) I have to wait on recasts. It seems like it would be ungodly slow using Jhakri +1.

Also why are you using /RDM?
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-08-18 02:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There's definitely a benefit to going /RDM if you have a good Phalanx set. Depending on potency, you can mitigate a ton of damage while cleaving. However, going /RDM and then using Barrier Tusk seems fairly backwards. /SCH for storms and Klimaform would be a far better choice for damage output if you lack a Phalanx set.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-18 02:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose. I don't use Phalanx though or anything besides Stoneskin/Verve.
By Odinz 2016-08-18 02:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So I went to the bridge to cleave my Geo mule some silt. I'm not the fastest cleaver. in 2 hours and 13 minutes I picked up 194 Job points.
I usually use amalric set but put together a quick alt lua changing my midcast using Jhakri +1. Mule was on auto follow with Indi-haste up at all times maintained. Self buffs were erratic flutter, cocoon, diamonhide, occultation, barrier tusk and Mighty guard whenever it was up.

BLU/RDM.

I only had 2 incidents where recast of spectral wasn't ready. And that's because I forgot to get a molifier and NMs popped at the start.

Was pretty smooth sailing after I kept molifier KI. I know some people can do 120-140 JP/hour and that's usually 2x cleavers. but even in my Amalric+1 set, I didn't pull those numbers because I'm just not that good a cleaver (it makes my brain go numb).

I have capped fastcast in my precast set though.

The nay sayers, what spellsets are you guys using? Because I just went out and tested this and its fine (thank god) as it saves me a few million gil on gearing my mules.

@Mojo - you spoken to Richardd recently?
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-18 03:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »
Mule was on auto follow with Indi-haste up at all times maintained.

The haste delta from having this is higher than Jakri +1 vs Amalric +1. I don't think this is a very valid comparison. I've cleaved 10000~ JP at Reisenjima #2 and I've only had GEO support once. For reference, I've hit 12m CP (400 JP) per hour at night with two cleavers. Daytime is probably 60% of that rate.

My spell set for this camp.

<reisenaoe>
<slot01>barbed crescent</slot01>
<slot02>cursed sphere</slot02>
<slot03>tenebral crush</slot03>
<slot04>anvil lightning</slot04>
<slot05>magic hammer</slot05>
<slot06>magic fruit</slot06>
<slot07>cocoon</slot07>
<slot08>entomb</slot08>
<slot09>spectral floe</slot09>
<slot10>barrier tusk</slot10>
<slot11>sound blast</slot11>
<slot12>dream flower</slot12>
<slot13>delta thrust</slot13>
<slot14>erratic flutter</slot14>
<slot15>subduction</slot15>
<slot16>auroral drape</slot16>
<slot17>bad breath</slot17>
<slot18>sub-zero smash</slot18>
<slot19>wind breath</slot19>
</reisenaoe>

I haven't spoken with him for a few years.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-18 05:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just used to /rdm since i dont set EF for the FC trait, /rdm gives me the same and the casual convert at day time if i happen to run out of MP and im far from the hipos.

That and i set more INT spells for more dmg but /sch and obi should be better i agree.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2016-08-18 07:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just used to /rdm since i dont set EF for the FC trait, /rdm gives me the same and the casual convert at day time if i happen to run out of MP and im far from the hipos.

That and i set more INT spells for more dmg but /sch and obi should be better i agree.

Sch aoe aspir will put rdm to shame
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-18 09:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »

Sch aoe aspir will put rdm to shame

Magic hammer refills my mp to full on the hypos and beetle so no need of that really.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Excalin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Excalin
By Quetzalcoatl.Excalin 2016-08-20 05:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Jhakri set this month. Running around using it to cast Dex and Str based Nukes for shits and giggles.

Anvil Lightning against low level shits
9205:
Herc Head
Amalric 4 pc

9885:
Herc Head
Jhakri 4 pc
[+]
By Draylo 2016-08-21 16:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Did SE patch magic barrier at some point? Used to get removed with any kind of solace cure and now it doesn't.
First Page 2 3 ... 307 308 309 ... 446 447 448