The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 298 299 300 ... 446 447 448
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-07-13 09:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting all spells for completion sake isn't the same as saying every spell has a use at 99 like you said. If you think that's wrong provide some examples.
[+]
By Inudesu 2016-07-13 10:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Inudesu said: »
Each spell has its uses , even at lvl 99.
False.

LOL

I'd like to see a reason for every spell then.

If you're not spamming queasyshroom and claw cyclone after a wild oats, do you even Blu brah?

Noobs Much ?

if you gonna lvl a job don't you get every spell ?

Sorry but a TRUE BLUE MAGE doesn't skip spells.

Asides, if you wanna gimp yourself , be my guess :D

I am currently sitting at 100% Completion rate on BLU Spell tyvm.

Enjoy~

Congrats, literally wasted time learning a ton of spells. True Blu know what's gimp and what isn't. ENJOY!
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-07-13 10:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Both sides are correct in their own right. Collecting the whole the spell list can be satisfactory for many people even if it is technically a waste of time. I can count numerous examples of activities that don't add anything to player performance but that doesn't mean they don't have any value for some people for completion's sake.
[+]
By Boshi 2016-07-13 10:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Each spell has its uses , even at lvl 99.
False.

LOL

I'd like to see a reason for every spell then.

If you're not spamming queasyshroom and claw cyclone after a wild oats, do you even Blu brah?

Noobs Much ?

Enjoy~
"noob" "gimp" "true blue mage" "be my guess" akward use of smiley face.
anyways... where was I,

First off I am a huge completionist, my main ls constantly mocks me for this. I do all the quests, chocobo racing, and nni campaign hunting for the alzadaal table is my white whale (0/237). So clearly getting all spells was a big deal for me.

I carry a second ls on me which is the "open" server ls which is mostly a mix of newcomers looking for help, some more veteran players giving advice helping ect. There are some great players in it, there are some that are an issue.
Clearly a common thing now is for returners making blu to be useful, so they ask for advice.
You sound exactly like the people who chime in with absolutely useless advice bragging intensely about every minor achievement in the game while just spreading suck.
Sure getting all the spells is great for people like me others who want for completion. But often in this social ls, I see players come back and spend hours and hours hunting every random spell in order instead of getting the important ones first. They come back, play tons of hours every day, then complain that they still can't perform in parties because while they have 60% of the spells in game from their work, they're missing a bunch of the ones that are actually used.

For people asking specifically about what spells are useful that want to make a blu to be useful in modern gameplay all you wrote was: bla bla bla 1337 bla blah, and just interfere with people having a conversation trying to help people with their request.

Get the spells for real combat first, then go hunt extras in your free time.

~ change subject.

dark matter sucks.
By Brynach 2016-07-13 12:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
First off I am a huge completionist, my main ls constantly mocks me for this.

Oh, don't sell yourself short.. we mock you for everything.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-07-13 12:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuroganashi is truly fedorable with his awful opinions
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2016-07-13 12:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping Nightfyre's previous posts regarding reforged BLU armor in mind, is this a decent short term goal to ease myself into iLevel equipment? Incorporated as many "good to keep" pieces of reforged in the mix as I could.

I tried to max as much accuracy in the TP set because I hear capping accuracy is a thing these days, and as much STR/Blue Magic in the BLU Spells set. Haven't come up with a short-term MAB set goal yet.

TP
ItemSet 344720

Phys Spells:
ItemSet 344721

I have a lot to do in terms of farming CP, doing RoV missions, doing Adoulin content (starting from mission 0) and lower tier stuff for quite a while.

Thoughts? Worthwhile?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-07-13 12:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need that Twilight Belt. Most any reasonable set of 119 gear you put together on a light armor job nowadays will have capped (25~26%) gear haste. Windbuffet/+1, Kentarch/+1, and Olseni are the best options nowadays (going from lowest to highest acc and highest to lowest DPS).

AF3 head +1 is an okay TP piece if you're hurting for accuracy since it has quite a bit more than most pre-Escha options, but you can do better in every other visible slot for similar or less ceffort. Taeon gear is a pretty solid starter option in all of those slots.

Cornflower Cape over Buquwik, and NQ Ifrit Rings are cheap enough that you can probably skip directly to those for physical spells. Bear in mind the need to maintain a certain amount of acc in your physical and WS sets relative to your TP set.
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2016-07-13 12:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
You don't need that Twilight Belt. Most any reasonable set of 119 gear you put together on a light armor job nowadays will have capped (25~26%) gear haste. Windbuffet/+1, Kentarch/+1, and Olseni are the best options nowadays.

AF3 head +1 is an okay TP piece if you're hurting for accuracy since it has quite a bit more than most pre-Escha options, but you can do better in every other visible slot for similar or less ceffort. Taeon gear is a pretty solid starter option in all of those slots.

Thanks... And I can manage to snag some Taeon gear with a bunch of sparks/thrown together equipment? I know the RoE Intermediate tutorial can get you one free piece of A.Skirmish gear but wondering if I can solo the rest with crappy gear.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-07-13 13:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You could probably solo them on lower level setups if you convert some vouchers for fragments. Certainly a more realistic goal than soloing Vagary to unlock AF3+1 reforging. You should really try to find people to help instead of soloing though, it'll go faster and most people who farm nowadays are after stones rather than gear.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-07-13 13:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC, Asura has quite a few new/returning player linkshells. I'm sure some members wouldn't mind helping you get started. You can definitely solo your gear all the way, but it sure goes quicker with a group.
By Selindrile 2016-07-14 11:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats, literally wasted time learning a ton of spells. True Blu know what's gimp and what isn't. ENJOY!

"wasted time" is something extremely hard to define, the majority of the population would likely call any time spent on FFXI "wasted time".

That said, I cede that a good portion of Blu spells are as of now completely useless.

But one can simply enjoy the feeling that they have collected them, like any collector might, I don't collect all the REM Armor etc, only the ones that I would actually use, but I can see the appeal in such a thing, and I know many that do.

I personally did collect all the spells and enjoy the feeling of having them, but in the same vein can totally understand those who don't derive enjoyment from such a thing.
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2016-07-14 17:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said:
Noobs Much ?

Enjoy~
Asura.Spicyryan said:
By Afania 2016-07-14 19:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Carrotchan said: »
Bismarck.Kuroganashi said:
Noobs Much ?

Enjoy~
Asura.Spicyryan said:

You are a soulflayer, not a real blu. :)
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-07-14 20:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Im curious guys, what set/s are you using when AM3 is up? talking about tizona users.

What i use has been working fine but would like to know what others are rolling to compare, ill post mine tomorrow (its 3.34am lol).

cya!
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-07-18 19:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 344810

This is what i use right now when acc isnt an issue, SR gear is maxed and lack adhemar +1 pieces and combatant torque still (damn you fortitude lol) and cape has stp+10 on it.

I tried swapping suppa for dedition, tights for carmine cuisses +1
and adhemar body for herc vest with sTP5 and acc29 but the DPS went down in scoreboard quite a bit, this assumes capped haste situation.

What are you guys using?? im curious, this set has been working fine for me but any changes outside the obvious upgrades i mentioned would be nice to try.

The weapons are the 119 AG versions, i couldnt find the way to put them right, tizona/AG in that order.

thanks!
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-07-18 19:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hetairoi Ring over Petrov, TA+4 Herc boots, Adhemar Head (A) should all be upgrades. The largest upgrade being the TA Herc boots. Brutal Earring should be about the same if not better than Cessance even considering AM3.
By Boshi 2016-07-19 08:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for advice on CDC herc hands (&evisceration thf)

A.) dex+10 acc+30 att+2 CritRate+2%

B.) dex+14 acc+10 att+20 CritDmg+1%

acc20 critrate2 vs dex4 att18 critD1
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-07-19 08:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep trying for higher crit dmg. With fern it goes up to 5%
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2016-07-19 08:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for suggestions on what is temporarily my best option for main hand sword.

I am going through the RoE intermediate tutorial and getting a lot of cool stuff.

Currently have Eminent Scimitar, Xiutleato, Homestead Blade, and Iztassu +2. I noticed Iztassu isn't really listed in any of the BLU guides I've seen (including this one) but it has a higher sword skill + than eminent and with augments can have the same or more base damage. Seeing it not listed anywhere makes me think it's bad for some reason though.

Should I use Eminent/Xiuleatio or Iztassu +2/Xiutleato? Or a totally different combination of swords that I currently have?

I realize this is all just for the short term so it doesn't matter too much >.<
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-07-19 15:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Continue using Taupe stones, they're the best for WS. The difference isn't all that much, but the chance for 5 extra DEX outweighs the chance for 1 extra crit damage. But yes, with the ridiculously high amount of DEX and crit rate gear we have now, crit damage will be the augment you're after for basically all your Herculean gear.

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Looking for suggestions on what is temporarily my best option for main hand sword.

I am going through the RoE intermediate tutorial and getting a lot of cool stuff.

Currently have Eminent Scimitar, Xiutleato, Homestead Blade, and Iztassu +2. I noticed Iztassu isn't really listed in any of the BLU guides I've seen (including this one) but it has a higher sword skill + than eminent and with augments can have the same or more base damage. Seeing it not listed anywhere makes me think it's bad for some reason though.

Should I use Eminent/Xiuleatio or Iztassu +2/Xiutleato? Or a totally different combination of swords that I currently have?

I realize this is all just for the short term so it doesn't matter too much >.<

Iztaasu isn't recommended exactly for the fact that it needs augments. As you said, this is short term, so don't waste your money trying to build something powerful when you're going to throw it away in a few days. For now, Eminent/Xiutleato is your best combination.

Next step will be getting a Buramenk'ah and pairing that with your Xiu if accuracy isn't a concern and Eminent if it is. Next, you want two Nibiru Blades from Escha-Zi'Tah. Two of those down path A will give you tons of accuracy for higher content. The final step, if you're not going for any RMEA, is to either get a Tanmogayi +1 in the mainhand and a Colada in the offhand or dual Coladas. Tanmo is from the ilvl Sarameya Unity fight, and Colada is from the T2 Reisenjima iron giant. The augments you want on Colada are +DMG, DEX, acc/atk, and any of STP, DA, or crit rate.

This list is NOT sequential. If you can skip the first steps and have a shell that can get you dual Coladas, feel completely free to do so. This is just a progression idea for if you do not have the means to access the highest tier of weapons immediately.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2016-07-19 20:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »

Continue using Taupe stones, they're the best for WS. The difference isn't all that much, but the chance for 5 extra DEX outweighs the chance for 1 extra crit damage. But yes, with the ridiculously high amount of DEX and crit rate gear we have now, crit damage will be the augment you're after for basically all your Herculean gear.

Just doing some napkin math, wouldn't TA be better than crit dmg? Well, depending on gear of course, but assuming thereoid, abnoba, adhemar head & 1200JP + sinker drill.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-07-20 09:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
Just doing some napkin math, wouldn't TA be better than crit dmg? Well, depending on gear of course, but assuming thereoid, abnoba, adhemar head & 1200JP + sinker drill.
I wish this was true, if it was, I'd only need one aug for chant and TP. My spreadsheet calcs from before do not support this idea though.
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2016-07-20 09:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a set of magic atk. bonus/INT gear I have/can easily get today.

ItemSet 344835

What/where/am I able to AoE burn stuff with this set for CP/Job points?

Any improvements that don't involve sinking time into stuff that I can realistically get right now?

Also, on the topic of Aoe burning for CP, is spamming Subduction and Anvil Lightning the general way BLUs do it?
 Asura.Brennski
user: Ogri
By Asura.Brennski 2016-07-20 09:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you have to sink time into the game to get anything out of it.

Some Easy Upgrades
amalric gages Escha-Ru'Aun T1 Met
amalric slops Escha-Ru'Aun T2 Naphula
cornflower cape JSE Cape from WKR/Reives

Ammo either
ghastly tathlum UNM - Spectre Worm
dosis tathlum AH

Helios can be good in slots and maybe worth looking into if low on time.

You may be able to do small pulls in Escha-Zi'tah in that set but it could take a few casts.

Could try Snaggletooth puks, Crabs and Crawlers in The Boyahda Tree I lvl on those from 96-99 and they give CP though as much as other zones.

Generally I'd use Entomb (petrify) > Spectral Floe (terror)

Then subduction if something was dead after the first two.
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2016-07-20 10:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Brennski said: »
Well you have to sink time into the game to get anything out of it.

Some Easy Upgrades
amalric gages Escha-Ru'Aun T1 Met
amalric slops Escha-Ru'Aun T2 Naphula
cornflower cape JSE Cape from WKR/Reives

Ammo either
ghastly tathlum UNM - Spectre Worm
dosis tathlum AH

Helios can be good in slots and maybe worth looking into if low on time.

You may be able to do small pulls in Escha-Zi'tah in that set but it could take a few casts.

Could try Snaggletooth puks, Crabs and Crawlers in The Boyahda Tree I lvl on those from 96-99 and they give CP though as much as other zones.

Generally I'd use Entomb (petrify) > Spectral Floe (terror)

Then subduction if something was dead after the first two.

Thanks for these suggestions :D

Obviously have to invest time to get stuff, I meant more of investing time in things that I am not quite ready for yet. I'm not sure I can approach even the T1 escha NMs with my current gear/merits/job points.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-07-20 10:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 344835

Any improvements that don't involve sinking time into stuff that I can realistically get right now?

Also, on the topic of Aoe burning for CP, is spamming Subduction and Anvil Lightning the general way BLUs do it?

Clubs can be "Nibiru" x2 (PATH B) / Colada x2 (Sword if u need to)
Neck : Incanter's torque / Eddy Necklace
Back: toro cape / CornFlower Cape
Belt: Salire Belt
Legs: Lengo Pants / Dawn II Legs
Feet : EMP +1
Hands: Leyline Gloves
Body: Samnuha Coat / Dawn II body
Head: Dampening Tam / Herculean Helm
Ammo: Mavi / Dosis / UCNM
Earrings: Friomisi + Hecate

are some of the update you could do cheap and easy

Also getting Almeric Be huge Step but expensive at the moment.

So up to you buddy :D
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2016-07-20 11:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
I wish this was true, if it was, I'd only need one aug for chant and TP. My spreadsheet calcs from before do not support this idea though.

What's the spreadsheet everyone's using atm? Just curious about it, wanna see how my rough estimates compare, hehe.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-07-20 11:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 344835

Clubs can be "Nibiru" x2 (PATH B) / Colada x2 (Sword if u need to)
Neck : Incanter's torque / Eddy Necklace
Back: toro cape / CornFlower Cape
Belt: Salire Belt
Legs: Lengo Pants / Dawn II Legs
Feet : EMP +1
Hands: Leyline Gloves
Body: Samnuha Coat / Dawn II body
Head: Dampening Tam / Herculean Helm
Ammo: Mavi / Dosis / UCNM
Earrings: Friomisi + Hecate

are some of the update you could do cheap and easy

Also getting Almeric Be huge Step but expensive at the moment.

So up to you buddy :D

I wouldn't say either of those bodies were easy to get really. Not for a new/returning player who might not have all missions done yet.

Samnuha requires Sinsiter Reign, which requires completion of Adoulin missions. And it doesn't always drop, even if it does you`d have to be lucky with augments. Dawn II is easy enough to solo on Normal with trusts, but the drop rate from my experience is terrible.

Hagondes or Helios from skirmish might be a quicker option for them.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-07-20 12:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

or if you have a rawhide vest thats not a terrible option either it has 25 MAB and is soloable to get. Obviously there is better, but for a freash new char, you do wat you can.
First Page 2 3 ... 298 299 300 ... 446 447 448