The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 197 198 199 ... 446 447 448
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 15:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I've used every UL except Bilgestorm on occasion.

Polar Roar was a nice AoE "sleep" when running somewhere. One time, in Salvage I forgot to set Subduction, but ran in and gathered mobs for the area. Towards the end realized I couldn't kill and kite so I busted out Roar to hold them as I reset spells.

Gates of Hades would be used in Ra'kaznar Skirmish on those Umbril in the event my Aquaviel from Verve was still kickin'.

Droning Whirlwind saw some use on Tojil when the stunner might miss the Roar.

Crashing Thunder got some decent UW use from me. After Thunderbolt, you can spam Crashing Thunder for some great DPS.

I used UW Blistering Roar spam one time during a Tenzen fight that was going sour - early days of it and BRD didn't do nitro sleep or something. It kept the BLM Taru at bay so they wouldn't Meteor.

Bulwark was another one for Tenzen fight. Between Occultation and that, no need for /NIN.
By Takisan 2015-09-16 20:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I fought lots of D and VD Tenzen and occultation is not good to use unless for last resort: Utsu: ichi and ni are down. Tenzen will hit you with a para or silence ws and you're pretty much done after that.

Verve with /nin makes you an amazing blink tank. Most dds can't compete with the amount of fast cast gear blu can wield not to mention full-time haste II.

Absolute terror is still decent I think. Douma weapon in particular can be terrorized for like 6-7 sec. Terror around 40% hp and zerk him from there which is really useful. Otherwise his adds are ridiculous to manage with him spamming whirl of rage twice. Again /nin lets you live through whirl of rage x2 and smite of rage.

MG with 5/5 diffusion merits + augmented/reforged feet it lasts for 5 mins. It is still hard to full-time but Prot V, cocoon, MG takes me from 805 def to 1715 def. Tizona blus can spam CDC bardless outside of optimized TA/DA/STP using AM3, haste II, and MG.
By Draylo 2015-09-16 20:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What? Occultation is perfect for Tenzen, I never go /nin to that fight.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 20:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Any word on the three other UL spells we got?

I'm certain they suck in comparison to Mighty Guard, but still am curious about them.
By Takisan 2015-09-16 21:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

I normally pull hate and it only took one time where occultation failed me for me to /nin to that fight.

The VD fight where I got ginsen if I had not /nin I would not have ginsen today. We were wiping when I killed Tenzen and it was thanks to my Utsu timers being so low and aquavail from verve.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 21:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Takisan said: »

I normally pull hate and it only took one time where occultation failed me for me to /nin to that fight.

/nin hurts your damage potential in that fight though. 11 shadows in one cast vs 3 shadows. Lot more time spamming shadows if going /nin. Also, when he goes nuts and just WSes back to back while invincible, you just take a few steps back and he won't bother to follow you.
[+]
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2015-09-16 21:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Any word on the three other UL spells we got?

I'm certain they suck in comparison to Mighty Guard, but still am curious about them.

Doing vagary as we speak, but got unlucky on the first two runs, not getting any spells. If I get one on the third run, I'll try testing it out.
[+]
By Takisan 2015-09-16 23:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

/nin hurts your damage potential in that fight though. 11 shadows in one cast vs 3 shadows. Lot more time spamming shadows if going /nin. Also, when he goes nuts and just WSes back to back while invincible, you just take a few steps back and he won't bother to follow you.

Yea, no arguments there on dps but being dead hurts ur dps more. Like I said I wouldn't have ginsen right now if it weren't for /nin cause tarus woke and repeatedly AOEed my shadows away. If I only had Occultation shadows I would have easily died but I spammed Utsu, lived, and wrote 'Z's all over his face. ^^

And to be honest I don't often get outparsed as a tizona blu so I rather live even if outparsed than die in battle and be useless.
 Carbuncle.Israfell
Server: Carbuncle
user: orionx3
By Carbuncle.Israfell 2015-09-17 00:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG Cannonball is back! SATA+ProV+MG+Cocoon+Minne+DefenseBonus. I bet we could pump out like 3-4k dmg easy!
[+]
By Draylo 2015-09-17 01:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, no arguments there on dps but being dead hurts ur dps more. Like I said I wouldn't have ginsen right now if it weren't for /nin cause tarus woke and repeatedly AOEed my shadows away. If I only had Occultation shadows I would have easily died but I spammed Utsu, lived, and wrote 'Z's all over his face. ^^

And to be honest I don't often get outparsed as a tizona blu so I rather live even if outparsed than die in battle and be useless.

I've literally done that fight a billion times, never have I died to Tenzen, not once. I used Occultation every time and even if he gets a WS off you won't die.
By Takisan 2015-09-17 01:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Israfell said: »
OMG Cannonball is back! SATA+ProV+MG+Cocoon+Minne+DefenseBonus. I bet we could pump out like 3-4k dmg easy!

Oh yea lol We should try it out. 1700 def maybe some good numbers can come out of Cannonball.

I've literally done that fight a billion times, never have I died to Tenzen, not once. I used Occultation every time and even if he gets a WS off you won't die.

I mean to each is own. But I have had his ws get through occultation and I was laying on the floor dead because of it. That's my experience, maybe unlucky. /nin has saved me from D Ramuh Chaotic strike, D Fenrir Eclipse Bite, and many other high lvl fights so I am a fan of /nin even if it means giving up dps. I still normally parse very well so vitality before violence I say.

Anywho more posts on these new UL spell, plz! There are no shouts for learning blu spells in vagary on my server yet.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-17 01:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

tbh, cannonball won't really be seeing a resurgence in value. its primary draw was that it used defense in place of its blue magic attack calculation (it gains no further bonus to damage from defense) which has been effectively rendered moot by the changes to blue magic attack calculations.

it doesnt have the ftp to beat any modern close range spells, nor will it deal nearly as much damage as a nuke for range. extreme ranges (which im not sure why a blu would be a combatant for, but anyway) you get more damage per mp from glutinous dart.
By Draylo 2015-09-17 02:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Israfell said: »

Oh yea lol We should try it out. 1700 def maybe some good numbers can come out of Cannonball.

I mean to each is own. But I have had his ws get through occultation and I was laying on the floor dead because of it. That's my experience, maybe unlucky. /nin has saved me from D Ramuh Chaotic strike, D Fenrir Eclipse Bite, and many other high lvl fights so I am a fan of /nin even if it means giving up dps. I still normally parse very well so vitality before violence I say.

Anywho more posts on these new UL spell, plz! There are no shouts for learning blu spells in vagary on my server yet.

Whatever works for you. Just seemed like you were saying it wasn't optimal as you suggest Occultation is "not good to use" and I was just stating my experience. I agree /nin has its place though, I've been using it again in the Ultima/Omega fight because Omega is annoying.
By tennotsukai87 2015-09-17 07:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know exactly how much mdef we get from MG? Sorry, if it's already been said, but I couldn't find anything.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-17 07:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Those new Vagary UL spells are more rare than new Absolute Virtue kills apparently... Still no word on them?
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2015-09-17 13:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So, can we pretty much count on telos earring being an AV drop at this point? If so, how does cessance earring stack up against tripudio earring? I don't have a Tripudio, and it seems like it would be a lot easier to spam Omega/Ultima than try to get huge group of people together to do DM2 (since that is one of the many boats I've missed...)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-17 16:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Can pretty much guarantee that Cessance beats Triupido just by eyeballing. 3DA outweighs 2STP in almost every possible instance, less so for Tizona but still. The additional accuracy doesn't hurt either.

Telos should be better in circumstances where the extra accuracy is needed, and it may be better all around for Tizona users, but 2DA vs 2STP for a Mythic Weapon is effectively a wash unless that 2STP is the contributing factor toward shaving off an attack round to 1000TP. In a lot of cases 2DA should still be better.

SORRY FOR TAKING YOUR JOB ORAEN BUT I CAN'T HELP IT, NEW UPDATES STILL EXCITE ME.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-17 17:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Never do it again >=[ Haha, this is your guide still, you know?

Yeah, our new earring options are awesome. No clue where Telos is from just yet, but I know Cessance is O/U fight. 0/10 on it so far, so happy hunting.
 Caitsith.Alihasan
user: Alihasan
By Caitsith.Alihasan 2015-09-17 17:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cruel Joke can be learnt in Cirdas Skirmish, 60s aoe doom.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-17 17:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, our Vagary UL spells could literally heal the enemy and I'd be okay with it. Mighty Guard is life.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-17 17:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

As I suggested a few days ago, only other spell that might be interesting is the MDB Down one, but it'd have to be really potent and the situations in which you'd use it wouldn't be too varied.

Mighty Guard seems like a sendoff to me. While I would love to see one last big set of spells in November to flesh out our missing things (Enspell and a Fencer trait pls?), I suspect that this was the last hurrah for BLU spells. Mighty Guard is just so good, you're learning a godly spell from a god, and its effect just smells of "This is our last gift to you!"

I hope I'm wrong though!
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-17 18:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
As I suggested a few days ago, only other spell that might be interesting is the MDB Down one, but it'd have to be really potent and the situations in which you'd use it wouldn't be too varied.

Mighty Guard seems like a sendoff to me. While I would love to see one last big set of spells in November to flesh out our missing things (Enspell and a Fencer trait pls?), I suspect that this was the last hurrah for BLU spells. Mighty Guard is just so good, you're learning a godly spell from a god, and its effect just smells of "This is our last gift to you!"

I hope I'm wrong though!

We still don't have spells from UFOs..
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-18 00:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got Tearing Gust. Going to help out the people in this pt that didn't get it, then I'll get around to testing.

But for now: Wind damage, weakens magic defense as expected. 202 MP cost.
By Takisan 2015-09-18 00:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Alihasan said: »
Awesome ty for the info! Hmm, now what if aoe doom could work on mobs in apex camp......../wishful thinking

Not blu exclusive info but about the new Apex camp in Woh gates you need around 1440 to 1370 acc to get 90% hit rate on the IT++ there. Easily tanked with August, the frogs at least. To be honest might not need the pld as I only took like 200 dmg from one while pulling. Great fun to XP/CP off something that doesn't die in 1 skill chain again.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-18 01:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Should work as long as you can get the amount of macc required to land it... which is likely significant given the stats needed for them. Frogs especially. You'd also have to stay in range of them for the full 60 seconds since I assume it's a carbon copy of Mortal Ray, except AoE.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-18 02:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I tried following the Magic Damage formula posted on BGwiki but I couldn't find any kind of equation that lined up with the numbers I got using this formula and table so I guess I'll leave the math parts to someone else.

Enemy used was Blanched Mandragora:

135 INT
29 mab

Water 161
Aero 170

Post Tearing Gust:

Water 230
Aero 243

--------------------------------------------------------------

141 INT
33 mab

Water 180
Aero 188

Post Tearing Gust:

Water 258
Aero 269

And a small addition of some basic info: 1 minute duration.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-18 02:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, doing some silly math myself, looks like -30 MDB maybe?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-18 06:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome ty for the info! Hmm, now what if aoe doom could work on mobs in apex camp......../wishful thinking

Not blu exclusive info but about the new Apex camp in Woh gates you need around 1440 to 1370 acc to get 90% hit rate on the IT++ there. Easily tanked with August, the frogs at least. To be honest might not need the pld as I only took like 200 dmg from one while pulling. Great fun to XP/CP off something that doesn't die in 1 skill chain again.

Those new Apex mobs are insane. Cruel Joke would actually be useful for them if you could land it due to the insane HP they have. Gather > Entomb > Cruel Joke > Dream Flower > Get JPs.

Takes so long to kill them with just Subduction spam. An alternative way to AoE camp them would be to have 6 or so BLUs and gather lots of mobs up and spam Entomb. Pretty safe way of killing them aside from the trouble of gathering them.

Also, the one minute duration on Gust really sucks :/
 Valefor.Seranos
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-09-18 07:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Those new Apex mobs are insane. Cruel Joke would actually be useful for them if you could land it due to the insane HP they have. Gather > Entomb > Cruel Joke > Dream Flower > Get JPs.

Takes so long to kill them with just Subduction spam. An alternative way to AoE camp them would be to have 6 or so BLUs and gather lots of mobs up and spam Entomb. Pretty safe way of killing them aside from the trouble of gathering them.

Also, the one minute duration on Gust really sucks :/

PLD, 5xBLU maybe?
First Page 2 3 ... 197 198 199 ... 446 447 448