The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 446 447 448
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 08:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and if it's separate from regen, can you also use Regeneration for 60HP+/tick?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 08:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Was gonna test on Colkhab but not up. Any other mobs that enjoy dispelling?

velkks

honestly my only complaint here is we'll almost never get to use any other ul spells again. they should make it charge based

Yeah, they should really go back and fix old UL stuff. Harden Shell with longer duration at least.
By Takisan 2015-09-16 08:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, verve is still very great because a blu/nin cannot be interrupted, except petri, sleep, stun, silence, terror, during Utsusemi casting which has kept me alive many times. Not to mention curing, and it is fairly hard to cast at times with a VT hitting you.

I guess I'd try to get verve up pre-fight and then mighty guard all the way but that's me. Sadly, wouldn't work for battlefields that wipe ur buffs. I still think more options and adaptability is better.
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Server: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2015-09-16 09:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Numquam - It lengthens the time if you have additional merits beyond the first. Each rank from 2-5 gives a 5% duration boost. This is increased with the relic feet, which give an additional 5% per merit.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2015-09-16 10:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Is the regen effect enhanced by Telchine augments or is it its own effect all together with other buffs?

Edit for auto correct bs.

Regen potency and specifically regen duration+ gear work for Regeneration, so Telchine DOES work for it, but the Enhancing duration+ augments DOES NOT. This was noted a few days ago by SE saying it's intentional that blue magic is not enhanced by duration stuff (but the spell is considered Regen so...yeah).
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 10:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
Is the regen effect enhanced by Telchine augments or is it its own effect all together with other buffs?

Edit for auto correct bs.

Regen potency and specifically regen duration+ gear work for Regeneration, so Telchine DOES work for it, but the Enhancing duration+ augments DOES NOT. This was noted a few days ago by SE saying it's intentional that blue magic is not enhanced by duration stuff (but the spell is considered Regen so...yeah).

Right, but what about the regen from Mighty Guard?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2015-09-16 10:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lemme test it right now.

Edit: No, static 30 regen. Mighty Guard is its own unique icon, think Embrava.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 10:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
Lemme test it right now.

Edit: No, static 30 regen. Mighty Guard is its own unique icon, think Embrava.

Cool, well, not cool about the news, but thank you for checking!
By Numquam 2015-09-16 11:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, checking it out now with the game's new status timers. It's working. For some reason it wasn't with Windower's. Thanks.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 11:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe Cruel Joke will have a 10 sec doom timer and will be somewhat useful on AoE pulls of varying mob types? /wishfulthinking

Also, guessing the new spells can't be learned from that one Adoulin mission? Vagary only?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-16 12:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So with Mighty Guard and Erratic Flutter, BLUs can cap magic haste on themselves and others with Diffusion? That sounds pretty damn powerful. How much defense do you get up to now with that, Cocoon and Protect V? Kinda seems like this pretty much cements BLU's place as the best DD in the game.
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-09-16 12:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

869 to 1086 with MG.

869 to 1303 Cocoon.

And it lasts well over 3mins on a 5min JA cooldown, wich is nice, you can AoE one MG and one MG you cast on yourself and prolly be still in the cycle to AoE the next MG again.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-09-16 12:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe Cruel Joke will have a 10 sec doom timer and will be somewhat useful on AoE pulls of varying mob types? /wishfulthinking

Also, guessing the new spells can't be learned from that one Adoulin mission? Vagary only?

I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Quote:
So with Mighty Guard and Erratic Flutter, BLUs can cap magic haste on themselves and others with Diffusion? That sounds pretty damn powerful.

Kind of- Dispels aside, you can use it to fulltime haste-cap on yourself but you generally can't fulltime Mighty Guard+Erratic on others.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-09-16 12:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Not quite full time, but close enough for most things. Diffusion MG should last about five minutes, just long enough to get a normal MG up. That'll go down around the 8.5 minute mark, so about 90 seconds of downtime before Diffusion and UL are back up.

Actually, do UL JPs and Diffusion duration bonuses stack additively or multiplicatively? If it's multiplicative it'd be just over five minutes duration, additive is about 10 seconds short.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-09-16 12:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Not quite full time, but close enough for most things. Diffusion MG should last about five minutes, just long enough to get a normal MG up. That'll go down around the 8.5 minute mark, so about 90 seconds of downtime before Diffusion and UL are back up.

Actually, do UL JPs and Diffusion duration bonuses stack additively or multiplicatively? If it's multiplicative it'd be just over five minutes duration, additive is about 10 seconds short.

So if you had two BLUs in the group, you COULD fulltime MG on the whole party. Blu is so damn strong there isn't any reason not to take two, it's not like you have to worry about CDC not chaining with ANOTHER CDC.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-09-16 12:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Accurate update summary:

Quote:
So if you had two BLUs in the group, you COULD fulltime MG on the whole party. Blu is so damn strong there isn't any reason not to take two, it's not like you have to worry about CDC not chaining with ANOTHER CDC.

Depends- often I'd rather just have another buffer; another BLU can sometimes just get in my way.
[+]
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-09-16 12:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Depends- often I'd rather just have another buffer- another BLU can just get in my way.
#TizonaProblems
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-09-16 13:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This update was a win for all Galka BLUs out there.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-16 13:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How's 300mp every 5 mins when not sporting a Tizona? I imagine the regen covers a good deal of healing at least.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-09-16 13:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have the buff ID, or would buffactive.Mighty.Guard work?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2015-09-16 13:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

I'd have to recheck, but with 15/15 JP and 5/5 Diffusion+feet my Mighty Guard AoE was lasting over 5 minutes. 5:10 I think? I'd have to check but pretty sure around there. I know UL was back up with Mighty Guard still on.

Bottom line, this is how it feels to Mighty Guard:
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-09-16 13:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool. Thought I remembered it stacking that way, but I haven't even updated yet so couldn't check.
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2015-09-16 14:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

How's 300mp every 5 mins when not sporting a Tizona? I imagine the regen covers a good deal of healing at least.

I made this same comment to some ls friends last night. It would be a rough spell to full time with every other buff we may be using without tizona. I did Promathia solo this morning and my pre fight buffs dropped me from over 1100mp to about 510mp. If you have the need to cast heavy mp spells like occultation midfight, you are going to have issues without tizona imo.
By Takisan 2015-09-16 14:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

With Reforged relic feet and 5/5 merit points in diffusion MG is lasting exactly 5 mins for me.

Edit: I also have 15/15 Unbridled effect II
By Takisan 2015-09-16 14:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Accurate update summary:

Lmao. I love it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-16 14:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So, some fun facts:

-Mighty Guard gives BLU the highest self-buffed attack speed in the game before even considering DW5 as a possibility (sort of tied with DNC if the DNC subs something stupid like WHM).

-Due to the nature of Mighty Guard's buffs, BLU now has higher DEF than a PLD and higher MDB than a RUN at the same time.

-The Regen, coupled with Regeneration, gives BLU nearly the single most potent self inflicted Regen in the game. Regen 5 is only slightly better, and Embrava makes SCH still much better at it, but still.

Verve, possibly the MDef- one that no one has yet, is the only spell still worth casting under the UL umbrella.

Harden Shell would require either an enormous potency buff or an enormous duration buff, or both, to be worthwhile.

Pyric Bulwark would need to work like Third Eye or something similar.

Thunderbolt may have an application or two, but Shock Squall or Temporal Pulse would serve the same purpose.

Droning Whirlwind is technically useful, but there are no realistic applications.

Blistering Roar can like... get you out of animation lock or something. Yay.

Bloodrake may still be applicable if you really need an emergency heal and are willing to forgo the myriad benefits of Mighty Guard, which especially when cast on an entire party heavily outweigh 2-3k HP.

Tourbillion... well, it's nice that it finally works, but that extra 8% DEF down that isn't even fulltimable is not as meaningful as what MG affords defensively or offensively.

Gates of Hades was outright replaced by Searing Tempest.

Bilgestorm doesn't last long enough to be of worth, especially now that Tourbillion works. The defensive benefits are not nearly as potent as Mighty Guard's.

Absolute Terror is absolute trash. Was useful for a few Delve NMs when it first came out.

Crashing Thunder and Polar Roar may as well not even exist. They're flavor spells only.

Uproot may have some extremely niche use somewhere, but it still probably doesn't outweigh the benefits of MG.

Honestly this could all be changed if SE implemented a charge system on UL. 1 Charge every 90 seconds or something (some spells would need to be adjusted as to not upset the balance further, but small price to pay for more options). MP cost and cast delay of these spells already pays for most of them.

At the end of the day though, I embrace our new Mighty Guard overlords. It's an incredible spell that other jobs would kill to have.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-09-16 15:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Its pure sex :)
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 446 447 448