The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 446 447 448
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 01:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

not so much "hipster" and "wanting to do things in a less mainstream way" as much as "I prefer playing BLU over SAM or MNK". Not a very difficult concept. As long as it's sufficient then it really doesn't matter unless you're that strung up for an extra couple mins shaved off of your delve run or whatever it is you're doing. We live in an age where a 5-10% DPS difference between jobs doesn't mean the death of a run or an elongation of 10+ minutes.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-11 02:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Randoms: demand they use the job with the greatest handicap

Friends: who the *** cares
By Selindrile 2014-09-11 02:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, and when inviting friends people you know that are competent > anyone you don't know, job regardless these days.

But when inviting strangers at the very least, when you have a choice of the two, people pick the stronger or more consistent job to at least lessen their potential to fail.

And most people still aren't fortunate enough to run with their friends only, and your friends aren't always terribly competent, even if they are your friends, I often go Sam or Mnk over Blu because of my own friends' requests.

Yes, you're totally right in that it's very doable, but these are still rather rare situations, in the overall scope of things.
By oyama 2014-09-11 17:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have a question on CDC. Here is my current set:

ItemSet 328267

I have a few upgrade pieces in mind already, but my question right now is concerning the belt. Should I keep the Light Belt in there or switch to Chiner's(NQ) or Windbuffet? Does which food I'm using make a difference?

EDIT: Btw, hat is augmented with PDT/MDT-2 and DEX+8, mani legs are R15 STR/Atk/Acc.

Thanks in advance.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 17:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

chiner NQ isn't very good, switch over to windbuffet belt (+1).
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-11 17:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Question:

If I don't feel like upgrading Relic Body is Mekosu. Harness an acceptable piece?
By oyama 2014-09-11 18:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so an NQ Windbuffet is still better than the Light Belt? Does that also mean that an Asperity Necklace is better than the Light Gorget? Thanks.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-09-11 18:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

No, think of a gorget as a neck that says DA+5 ACC+10 during WS, it functions like that (on average), because windbuffet is essentially worth 7DA....its better, where as 2 DA and 8 att are not (asperity)

Also Ideally you use rancor collar and then vespid mantle back
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 18:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Question:

If I don't feel like upgrading Relic Body is Mekosu. Harness an acceptable piece?

as a tp piece yes, not as good for CDC though
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 18:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Selindrile said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Animals do wear coats.

This was one possible occasion, where if you went BLU~

My point is that these are both unrealistic, silly, corner cases, you don't base an argument on the validity of things that happen extremely rarely.

Also, this was in no way sarcasm, it was more a metaphor explaining why your argument didn't carry water.

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
DPS is not an issue on said event so asking for Top Tier DD Jobs is not required unless you need to compensate for your own incompetence.

First off inviting a random player on a specific job is to minimize the effects of their potential incompetence. And second among friends you most likely have access to similarly geared Blus and Sams, so you simply would want to take the more appropriate job, you can clear most content pretty consistently with 6x Pup if you want, but why would you?

Anything else is just being a hipster and preferring to do things in a less mainstream way. Much as I love Blu, and my Blu is well geared and could easily outdo most monks there, my rather average Sam and above average Monk outdo it.

Because a Zerg fest is not the most fun way to do things...
Because why would i be like "TOP DD ONRY" when I don't need top tier type DD, the difference is like 1 minute in clear time? lol so sorry, you can go stand in Jeuno for that 1 minute longer then while I actually have fun ~
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 18:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Selindrile said: »
Fair enough, and when inviting friends people you know that are competent > anyone you don't know, job regardless these days.

But when inviting strangers at the very least, when you have a choice of the two, people pick the stronger or more consistent job to at least lessen their potential to fail.

And most people still aren't fortunate enough to run with their friends only, and your friends aren't always terribly competent, even if they are your friends, I often go Sam or Mnk over Blu because of my own friends' requests.

Yes, you're totally right in that it's very doable, but these are still rather rare situations, in the overall scope of things.

Debateable, but different people, different friends, different circles, maybes your's are just that restrictive. Mine however are not and a great deal of people on my server play with their friends / linkshell.

so This is MORE likely than PUGs on Cerberus.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-09-11 19:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking really hard at Chiner's belt +1 for CdC, along with Rancorous mantle/Light Gorget for CdC, or should I stick to Wanion belt/Windbuffet which I already own?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-11 19:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hyunkyl said: »
Looking really hard at Chiner's belt +1 for CdC, along with Rancorous mantle/Light Gorget for CdC, or should I stick to Wanion belt/Windbuffet which I already own?

Chiner's +1 seems to be winning, not spreadsheeted but some quick maths and in game testing, I'm liking it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 19:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

it does win, 2% TA is slightly heavier than the fSTR from wanion plus the extra TA dmg (harder to quantify, but not that bad)
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2014-09-12 14:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so ignoring my well-thought-out post on the previous page, I'm returning after over a year. Is the espial set a good holdover for TP while I re-acclimatize to the game? I was using this last. And other suggestions would be great.

ItemSet 270424

It's been so long, so much to doooo.

Edit: Almace is 85. Still worth aiming for upgrade?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-09-12 15:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you'll want CDC so you can either upgrade it to 90 (119 isn't worth it) or go the WoE route (which is cheap atm).

Espial will probably be your best bet for WS and TP for now.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-09-12 22:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if anybody might have some advice for a returning player. I'm giving the game another shot during this free week after quitting back in may of 2013. I'm obviously very far behind, and wanted to know what I should be spending my time on. I've been doing the eminence content and have a set of the 117 gear along with a scimitar and the homestead blade, but now I'm a little lost. I don't know what to focus on next in terms or gearing or farming or anything, so if anybody has some time to offer help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
 Odin.Skeero
Server: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2014-09-12 22:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Do WKR when they are up, set ROE, get KI's, get gear, augment the gear. Get Oatixurs. Do delve get delve gear. Get new spells Thrashing assault, sinker drill, erratic flutter are very OP.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-13 01:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I was wondering if anybody might have some advice for a returning player. I'm giving the game another shot during this free week after quitting back in may of 2013. I'm obviously very far behind, and wanted to know what I should be spending my time on. I've been doing the eminence content and have a set of the 117 gear along with a scimitar and the homestead blade, but now I'm a little lost. I don't know what to focus on next in terms or gearing or farming or anything, so if anybody has some time to offer help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gear wise, shout for SKCM battles. Macrocosmic orbs to upgrade your relic and artifact gear to 109. They're easy nowadays. Can do Normal with a simple sleepga strategy or Difficult with a proper tank.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-13 01:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So, has anyone seen what augments we can get on our Cornflower Cape?
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-13 01:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue skill +6, DEX +3, MP +20 on one augment I saw.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-13 02:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool. Oh, and another Q. Blistering Roar vs. Absolute Terror. Does Absolute last longer or are they pretty much the same except for the AoE effect on Blistering Roar?
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-13 02:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolute terror lasts much longer, I really only use Blistering Roar if I need to zone and have mobs on me and no sleep set lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2014-09-13 04:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
So, has anyone seen what augments we can get on our Cornflower Cape?

JP pic with an augment of MP+15, DEX+2, Acc+5 and Blue skill+8
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-13 06:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

About to head into work but just realized I never posted this:

Diffusion Ray - 2.0dINT, 40%MND, 5.0 Multiplier

Rail Cannon - 2.0dINT, 40%MND, 6.0 Multiplier

Sinker Drill - 1.0fTP @ 0, 100% something WSC, likely 50% STR 50% DEX or 100% DEX

Restoral - 640HP base cure, +1.5HP per MND and +0.5HP per VIT, affected by cure potency and self cure potency received, self target only.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-09-13 11:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 160 Wailing stone +1 at my disposal (free from campaign), am I better off trying for MAB augment on Hagondes +1 with them or sell them to get Wailing stone +2 and try my luck with those? 800k for +2 single, 700k for a stack of +1 going for my server price...
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2014-09-13 12:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the +1s, +2s are for 2% da/crit hit augs or 4% pdt, unless your pockets are really deep then use +2's.
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2014-09-13 19:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone test uproot to see what enfeebles it removes/doesn't remove? Does it remove amnesia or curse/doom/zombie/etc.? Do I have to go test this out against a mob that curses myself?

Tested it myself against yumcax himself. It took multiple casts of uproot (using unbridled learning) to remove doom.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Figster
Server: Ragnarok
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2014-09-13 23:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is a gorget suggested for CDC? Does the ftp transfer over now or am I missing something?
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 446 447 448